Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:52 pm

I probably haven't seen The Beastmaster since the early 90s, like a lot of movies, on HBO.

Been thinking about movies we had to watch in school so might do a few in a row...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:47 am

Yes, same thing with Me but I think when I saw it with My Grandpa it was on TBS or some channel like that. Okay, that's a good idea PB :) I've never seen The Miracle Worker before...that looked different. Okay, there's not going to be much from Me on this matter but you just go ahead with your school movies as much as possible ;) I already said about the ones I saw in school before...there' only one more left. Well first I never did say about this, one day I brought My beloved Willow VHS Tape to school I believe in Second Grade. The kids weren't into it. It was always so hard for others kids, even My friends to be into the same stuff I was into like movies like that and especially wrestling, it was such a bummer then again it's like okay everybody, think alike, you just don't know what your missing. I'm talking about the same VHS of Willow that My Grandma got Me when it first came out from BMG in 1988 that I've showcased before :) If you recall, I made big specials about Willow last year for it's 35th Anniversary :) Okay, enough about that...the other movie was in 1991...I don't know who's VHS it was whether it was one of the kids or the teacher. This movie was called White Fang starring Ethan Hawke and was a Walt Disney movie :!:

I haven't seen it since that day in school. In My 10 year old mind, I was like this is alright but it sure ain't what I'd bring :roll: Here's the trailer :)

Now the score is marvelous, it was co-composed by legendary composers Basil Poledouris & Hans Zimmer :shock: Poledouris was already a veteran scoring the Conan & RoboCop films + The Hunt for Red October but Zimmer was really just in his second year as a major composer as he just did Pacific Heights, Days of Thunder & Backdraft :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:09 pm

I don't recall ever seeing that version. Was never a story I was that interested in anyway. Here's one I distincly remember seeing in school, and while I don't remember exactly what year, it had to be prior to the 5th grad (1988) because we moved to the suburbs before that school year began and I remember seeing this prior to that. Imagine showing this to kids 9 or younger!

Here's a modern trailer someone made that gives you a better glimpse of the story.

The Day After premiered on ABC November 20, 1983 with a cast that included JoBeth Williams, Jason Robards, John Lithgow and Steve Guttenberg. Now get this, prior to its original broadcast John Cullum warned viewers before the film was premiered that the film contains graphic and disturbing scenes and encouraged parents who had young children watching to watch together and discuss the issues of nuclear warfare. ABC and local TV affiliates opened 1-800 hotlines with counselors standing by. There were no commercial breaks after the nuclear attack scenes.

And there was some teacher that said, hey, let's show this to really small children and scared the holy **** out of them!

The 80s were wild!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:38 am

I know, I'm not sure what the other kids thought about White Fang but I could have easily picked something way better like Willow for instance but of course My class was far different than Me. Now like I said, that's the only one I have, you keep on posting about your school movies ;) Dang, they showed The Day After to 9 year old kids or younger :shock: I know their showing a lot of inappropriate sexual things to kids in school now but gosh, that is kinda scary and that's not a horror movie but something that could actually happen :o Now when I was 8 or 9 I probably wouldn't have been into that like now. I believe I said to you before that war stuff really didn't kick in to Me (despite I watched G.I. Joe & stuff beforehand) till Sgt Slaughter came back to the WWF in 1990 and they started talking about all of that Desert Storm stuff...then it all clicked with Me and that's when I began to realize things, I was only 9 in 1990. That modern trailer was good and so was your trivia :)

Okay, now get ready for one of the last of the great classic action hero films. I wanted post this one a long while back. This one is one of My big faves. It came out in 1991 and I first saw it when We rented it over at Star Video...it stars Dolph Lundgren & Brandon Lee :!:

It also stars great Japanese villain actor Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, hot Tia Carrere and other good Japanese bad guy actors Toshishiro Obata, Leo Lee & Roger Yuan :!:

NOTE: The following picture made by Me when i made a special project for Myself in 2021 celebrating it's 30th Anniversary :)

SILT 1.jpg

It's about two buddy cops that must protect a lovely Asian woman from The Yakuza :shock: Now here's something very important, I don't know if you know this but Dolph is actually a major Martial Artist. This is actually the only film where he shows that talent of his :shock:

SILT 2.jpg

This was Brandon Lee's FIRST big film that got him noticed. This was the first film I saw him in as well. I knew of Brandon years beforehand because of everything I knew of his legendary father Bruce but never saw him in action before this in that fun year of 1991 :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

SILT 3.jpg

Now here's the trailer. Now watch closely as you see Brandon Lee BEFORE he was The Crow and also look for Dolph, he's not like that just for the film, he's as real as real get's :!:

Now, I absolutely adore the movie's score. It's by David Michael Frank. He's done a lot of action hero scores and he's extremely underrated. In fact, 1991 was a big year for him as he did the music for Above the Law starring Steven Seagal and Suburban Commando starring Hulk Hogan so I say that's mighty impressive :!: So I'm going to provide My 3 fave cues. Here's the great Main Title. It's really heroic yet haunting with such a great Japanese tune. It's in the same vane as many action hero scores before it :)

This one called Death and Dishonor is absolute gold. I love how much Japanese inspiration it has and the first 30 seconds is so sweet and if you listen closely you just hear the great time of this story and when it takes place :)

This is arguably My fave track of the entire score. I just love that guitar. The scenes with Brandon Lee & Dolph Lundgren are so outstandingly cool when this music is playing in the film and again, you can clearly hear that this is from 1991 :)

So are you familiar with this classic :?: I got a ton more action films to post but Showdown is Little Toyko is one of My big faves. Last year when I posted The Crow and some other action films plus My special 1993 People Magazine that I greatly showcased in My all-crucial Odds & Ends for his 30th Anniversary of his shocking killing I'm like darn, I gotta post & talk more about Brandon Lee. I'm one of the very few people that talks about him anywhere much less even thinks about him and in My 30 + years of knowing him I never, ever thought that was a possibly :wwsmh: :smsmh: So more action films and more to come soon :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:56 pm

Nope, I can't say I've ever seen that one but martial arts films were just never overly an interest of mine. That Death and Dishonor would make for a good Asian wrestler's theme.

Ok, this one I believe I watched in the 4th grade. My memories of school prior to the 5th grade are fuzzier since I can recall going to at least 4 different schools prior to moving to the suburbs in the summer of 1988 (my parents moved quite a bit before then). From the 5th grade on things were more stable and I was older so things are a little more clear as to where and when.

Of course the only thing I really recall from seeing this is seeing boobies as there's a nude scene between Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting in it and they did show it in class (again...80s...wild). This film came into the news about a year ago when the aforementioned stars filed a lawsuit for sexual abuse of children for being filmed nude when they were underage (Hussey was 15 and Whiting was 16). But the lawsuit was dismissed earlier this year by a California judge because, well, it's California--they should've tried Texas.

Olivia Hussey would go on to become a bit of a scream queen for 90s horror movies such as It (one of the greatest TV casts ever assembled!) and would also appear as Topanga Lawrence's aunt Prudence in an episode of Boy Meets World where Cory was reading, coincidentally enough, Romeo and Juliet (I had no idea who she was when this first aired).

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:48 am

All of that is interesting PB. Yeah, parents and their moving :roll: I lost not one but two sweet girlfriends due to their parents moving. One was Chasity that I spoke of before...the girl in My Science Project always reminds Me of her because that's what she looked like. Chasity was so nice..now all of this was in 1990, she moved in next door with her parents & brother Eric next to Our old house in early 1990. I became close with him too, we were really good buds and he was about 15, she was 13, I was 9 so yeah they were older than Me but they were good kids. Me & Chasity hit it off so good but it really wasn't a love thing I mean I was only 9, I didn't really know that stuff then until later...then My Grandparents wanted to move and come August we got a new house but it wasn't that far away from the old one so the old areas was still close by and I could still stay at the same school so that worked out :) Chasity & Eric followed Me to Our new home and it was quite fun for a while then come late 1990 their parents had to move to wherever and that was it, I never seen them again :?: From time to time I still think about them hoping that their still fine. Now the one was Andrea Black, she was at My school. This was about 1991. I'm getting a little more about girls now. Oh man Andrea was something. I was always the tallest kid in My classes however she rivaled Me as we were both about 5 feet 6 in 3rd & 4th Grade. She was very sweet, we talked all the time on the phone and of course at school. Then when things were getting really good for Us she tells Me that her parents is gotta move and that their going to Illinois...this hurt...she left school and My girlfriend was outta here :roll: She looked like a young Elsa Lanchester (ignore her role as The Bride of Frankenstein) to Me at My young age. Her hair was like that and she even had the dimples & cleft chin too. I theorize that she grew up to be really sexy & tall like 5'10 or 5'11. Yeah, I know a thing or two about parents moving :roll:

I never seen Romeo and Juliette. That movie would have been a big turn off for a young Brandon. I've still never seen it and who knows, maybe one day I will since I'e been seeing movies that I thought I never would :?: Well the movie was rated PG so I guess that's why they chose it :?: Again, I know today's schools are showing a lot of inappropriate things to young kids...a little nude scene like that is really nothing compared to today's schools I'm afraid :roll: However, the 80s were indeed wild and truly miss those times and really Packer, this is a really good moment to remember :batwink: That's something that you posted that video soon after that case ended...good timing there Packer ;)

Yes, that sure would be a great theme for an Asian wrestler :) Okay, I made a mistake when I said about Above the Law...it was Out For Justice that was in 1991...I do make mistakes ;) Okay, so this is Above the Law. This came out in 1988 and this was Steven Seagal's first movie :o

First don't forget, I showcased My N2 Toys Figure of him from the Hardened Series a while back in My Modern Action Figure topic. He plays Nico which the movie also goes by that title. I recall when We first rented this movie over at Movie King, We're like who's this guy...Steven Seagal :? My Grandparents would really like him especially My Grandma. I was so used to Bruce Lee & Norris, Arnold, Stallone, Russell, Van Damme but seeing Seagal was a new breed. He did a lot of stuff the others didn't. He was slender & wasn't muscular but he was more violent which I really liked. Here's the trailer :)

Okay, here's the theme by David Michael Frank, I believe this was the first music I ever heard by him :shock: The Main Theme is really good with such fine sound. Now think of what Showdown in Little Toyko sounded like, you can tell it's by the same composer :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:47 pm

That's understandable. The running joke back then was every Steven Seagal movie had three words in the title, lol. My dad was a big fan so he constantly rented any new movie he put out. I watched many of them but after several years the quality seemed to drop.

Ok, next movie we were made to watch in school is actually a classic. I'm pretty sure this was the end of the 4th grade and I think by then the teachers were like, **** it, we don't want to teach anymore let's just make the kids sit in the auditorium and watch a movie that's almost 4 freakin' hours long! Geezalou, can you imagine making kids sit for four hours to watch a movie that was 50 years old already back then! I watched this again when I was much older, I don't think I got much out of it at the age of 10 though.

At least they let us sit in the audiotium and not those uncomfortable classroom desk chairs! But teacher, it's four hours long!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:24 am

How about that, I didn't you your Father her was a Seagal fan :shock: That's good about that PB :) Good joke there, it's weird that his movies had three names in them :? Oh I got disappointed about Seagal's movies after The Glimmer Man came out in 96. That was his last best film. When Fire Down Below came out in 97 it was really toned down and from then on his movies were direct to HBO and Video so he was slowly fading away from the theaters...same thing with Van Damme and even Norris :roll: Though they still had a large audience and I still part of that ;)

Okay, this was was Jean-Claude Van Damme's first movie ever that came out 40 years ago this year in all years of 1984 called Monaco Forever :!:

Oh boy, I think I would have been really bored with that in school and I've really never knew what the word meant...I mean I'm usually not bored with most things. I've still never see Gone with the Wind however over the last several years I have thought about is off & on so you never know. No I can't imagine kids from any era sitting thru a 4 hour film that decades upon decades old :o Yes, I think the teachers used this as good excuse to "not teach" :lol: :? :!: :batshock: :wwsmh: :smgasp:

It was a comedy but you see that this "young Muscles from Brussels" is got major martial arts talent like nobody before him :!:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:18 pm

Nope, can't say I've seen that one, either.

It had to have been the 3rd grade or so when we watched this in class.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:56 am

Gosh, I knever knew about the Wiz. Now I can kinda see that being shown in a class room. It looked class like a lot of kids stuff then. Man, the record set looked nice. Huh, how about that Joel Schumacher did the screenplay, he would later direct Batman Forever & Batman & Robin :shock:

I didn't think that you did. Okay, now after Chuck Norris' first appearance against Bruce Lee in 1973's Return of the Dragon, he would be recognized and be in a second movie in 1974 called Huang mian lao hu or Yellow-Faced Tiger...us Americans know this as Slaughter in San Francisco :o

Here's this trailer :!:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions