Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

R.I.P. Kevin Sullivan 1949-2024

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

R.I.P. Kevin Sullivan 1949-2024

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:52 am

Rest in peace, Taskmaster!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Kevin Sullivan 1949-2024

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:36 am

Unreal, one of the most elite & intelligent talents of ever of all-time in wrestling. He had such a dark personality, what he showed on screen was a tame way of how he was in real life. Everybody here knows how big of a fan I am of his Dungeon of Doom and The Alliance to Destroy Hulkamania...that was, still is and will forever be My fave stable & times in wrestling and it was all his brainchild...may "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan Rest In Peace :roll:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:49 am

RIP.

I never really saw him back in the day being up northeast, but I've seen plenty of his clips from Brandon and several I've posted. Coincidentally, I just posted one of his just a few days ago in the promo thread. It's a shame, a lot of the old pros are passing. A lot of knowledge is being lost.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:14 am

Yes, yet another weird coincidence...I thought that was rather strange when I saw that AcidDragon posted about this :? Well thanks PB...Kevin Sullivan was a huge part of My fave stuff in WCW and he also did some cool stuff in ECW too. Yes, that is so true and that's why I keep on saying for years now about teaching kids, preserve history and all of that, it's no laughing matter and/or to shrug away...it's just not for wrestling & entertainment but for so many other things and for your own sake...I just hope there's other people doing this other Me & you Packer :roll: Again, may the "Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan Rest in Peace.

Here's these two videos...

WWE'S Official Tribute :!:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:14 am

That was a good WWE video. Is there a reason he never went to the WWF back in the day? Other than of course he couldn't really play a character that dark/satanic in the Rock n Wrestling era. He would've been a fun heel, though. Wish I would've known more about him back then.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:18 pm

He's had some other non-Satanic gimmicks like when he managed the Varsity Club, he was more like a coach. I don't know what it is, but I thought his finisher the Devil Stomp, where he just jumps on the guy's stomach and then jumps off, was pretty cool. LOL. As seen here against Edge:

"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:11 pm

Kind of a weird finisher, but back then the finishers didn't all have to be super-complicated. I was looking into my question about why he never went to the WWF and this was the best explanation I found and it makes sense besides being 5'9".

"Sometimes the answer isn't interesting. He simply never had a reason to. In Florida he was a top heel and booked, at which point he mainly lived in the Tampa area for the rest of his career. He worked Knoxville because his kids could see him on TV from there, and then eventually he went to Crockett and was pretty much part of the office for the rest of his career while also working indies, including early ECW, where he was friends with Paul Heyman (an underplayed part of ECW's history). Hogan had a good relationship with him from Florida, so once Hogan came in he had a set job. The Dungeon of Doom wasn't a Sullivan idea, it was Hogan wanting his 80s cartoon heels recreated. Before the end of WCW his contract was expiring and someone at Turner advised him to get a renewal done ASAP and make it as long as possible, with a guarantee. By the time that contract is up he's older, saved his money, didn't want to work for WWE, and Benoit being in WWE was a political issue."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:13 am

Yes it was a good video Packer. Acid, Me & PB talked about Edge, I posted that video in the Do You Remember Topic...I was surprised that Packer knew that Edge had that short stint in WCW. Yes, Hogan was a huge part about/with the DOD just like he was with the nWo. Sullivan's finisher was good and back then it was enough to most guys away...now wrestlers can withstand so much more and do much more and even non-wrestlers like Jelly Roll can chokeslam guys with one hand making yesterday's wrestler look so much lesser but I assure you yesterday's talent is far, far from that.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc