Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The Great Toy Debate: ToyGuru vs Retroblasting

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

The Great Toy Debate: ToyGuru vs Retroblasting

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 pm

Anyone catch the drama between Scott Neitlich and Michael French? I don’t know how to paste the links, so please look up their respective channels: Spector Creative (“why emotionally fueled opinions are bad…”) and Retroblasting (“hostile makeover”) for the background.

Then head over to “Geek. Dad. Life.” channel for their “spirited” debate…

If any of you guys are interested after, we can chat…I don’t have a horse in the race so I don’t care what opinions you guys may have; won’t hurt my feelings any
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Re: The Great Toy Debate: ToyGuru vs Retroblasting

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 pm

Scott ToyGuru's Channel Spector Creative
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_CCO ... suQ/videos

Michael's Channel Retroblasting
https://www.youtube.com/user/retroblasting

The Hostile Makeover Video

The Debate

I haven't caught the drama but now you've got me intrigued! LOL. :smlol:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 pm

Man, the first 25 minutes of the Debate is cringe with all the technical issues.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 am

Nah thanks. I had enough of his stuff back when MOTUC, GBC & DCUC were around and how the Mattel budget stuff and the countless times he said he/Mattel didn't have the resources for the lines then he departed the billion $ + company and worked for Jakks of all companies :? I have always found it astounding how Mattel couldn't do this and do that yet handing it over to other lesser known companies that could...I mean get real here. All the times we begged them for years on the Matty board for the MOTU movie licensed + comic & prototype/concept charcaters and what did we get :?: They poor-mouthed us that they couldn't do it for this & that unnecessary reason yet Super7 got it right away + many other things they couldn't do yet charging such insane prices :oops: Mattel handles MOTU among other things appallingly pathetic over the years :x I got so tired of it back then and apparently people forgot how those beloved lines were treated but I sure haven't!

You guys can watch the debate but I lost My interest years ago :roll:

EDIT: Just saw French's vid :!: Good for him, I give him big kudos as he told it the way it was/is...finally somebody did it as I am so sick of TG :x Yeah, a 7 billion dollar company with little to no resources :roll: Saw that years ago, so pathetic. Glad French did that vid so congrats to him :D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for posting those links Brandon!

I’m not one for drama (even though one of my favorite comic characters has that as a “power”) but this was downright hilarious to me. I thought French’s off the hook rant to Scott was funny as all get out, but it also shows his maximum emotional level. Even if Scott called him out (which Scott claims he didn’t - but I think he did) he didn’t deserve the acid that was spewed his way in that video; a tad overboard if you ask me. French doesn’t even buy modern toys so what’s his honest to goodness beef really about?

I also find it funny and sad that Scott still claims only moms and kids are in the toy aisles, buying for birthday parties…I don’t agree with that at all. I rarely see moms and kids in the action figure aisle; it’s always guys like us, hunting and finding no joy. He’s always had that “old 50’s mentality “ of who’s actually shopping in the action figure aisles.

I also think that large, online places like EE or BBTS actually COULD be the TrU of the 21st Century if they so choose. As knowledgeable as Scott is, he is very closed minded.

As I said, I don’t care who “won” this debate-debacle but when it comes to actual industry “insight”, I’ll side with people like Scott instead of unconfirmed, but educated, opinions (even if it’s opinions I share). I like getting a lot of different information which helps me calm my inner child…still, would’ve been nice if Scott actually had hard, tangible information instead of what he says goes sort of thing.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 am

One last thing, upon reflecting on this I’ve the last couple days, I think this was more a debate about personal character than an actual, honest debate on toys as a whole. Honestly, I wouldn’t trust either of these guys to order me a beer, let alone get me the one I want.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Michael has some serious anger issues and he was already wound up before this thing even started. I don't really care for Scott's running of Matty but man. Michael seems stuck in the past based on his review of the new He-man stuff. He's basically saying that instead of making anything new for new audiences, we need to just continue the same stories from where they left off without deviating from whatever it is. Also thinks Scott is lying that the retro adult targeted toys wont sell at the store but this is one place where I agree with Scott. I don't think the market at the local Walmart and Target and even TRU (RIP) were that great for adult targeted markets.

I have always been okay with the subscription model I just thought it was dumb that they didn't tell us 100% who we were getting before we subbed because it was like they were trying to trick us into subscribing. I'm also okay with HasLabs and Mattel's new thing because I know that most of these things are not going to sell at mass retail in my opinion.

They were way too caught up with the wording. French comes across as an elitist snob in most of his videos. Scott may have been dishonest in the past. I can't really tell. He definitely used dishonest tactics to sell the subs but that's in the past now. I like his new videos and even if there are some fudged things there, it's the closest to insider info we'll be getting I think.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Found this a little funnny
051E247C-3DE0-4627-B012-D938C2E3F7EA.jpeg
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm

Yeah, pathetically funny :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to General Discussions