Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Let's Talk Toons!!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm

Is there anybody listening?
Is there anyone that sees what's going on?
Read between the lines
Criticize the words they're selling
Think for yourself and feel the walls
Become sand beneath your feet
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Tango X » Fri May 07, 2021 4:36 pm

I only remember Bo's Tiger Electronics game.
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:46 pm

And the band played on...

Man, I miss John Candy. John Candy appeared in many of my favorite films grwoing up. Space Balls. Brewster's Millions. Uncle Buck. Home Alone. Stripes. Little Shop of Horrors. The Great Outdoors.

And in 1989, NBC brought to us cartoon #9 Camp Candy.

I honestly remember the song more than the show. I remember it was on earlier in the morning and since I was 11 by then I was probably sleeping in more after staying up late playing video games or watching Rhonda Sheer and bad movies on USA UP All Night. I looked at the schedule for 1989 and 1990, and in '89 it was on at 8:30 and in '90 it moved to 8AM. So the time slot wasn't ideal for me, It also didn't help that CBS aired Muppet Babies at that time and ABC aired Gummi Bears and then The New Adventures of Winnie Pooh, and as childish as those shows sound, if I were up that early chances are those shows would be on in my house. Boy, if only we had DVR's back then!

But I vaguely remember it would start out usually with a campfire and then some issue would arise and Camp Director John Candy (yep, he actually voiced his own character) would tell the children a story that dealt in some way with the issue to teach a lesson or whatever. I can picture Candy, I can hear the song, but I couldn't really recall the kids much, so watching the intro again brought back some memories, but again, it wasn't a show I watched weekly.

Maybe if I knew that we'd lose John Candy so soon, I may've watched more. It ran for three years so it must've been fairly well recieved, of course, having John Candy probably helped.

Worth finding on youtube if you're curious.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Tango X wrote:I only remember Bo's Tiger Electronics game.

Bo was everywhere back then. Bo knew marketing, at least. Sad to think his hip injury cut his sports career short. Who knows how he would've wound up stats wise. He's still the greatest video game football player of all time. I mean, you could run over a semitruck with Bo Jackson in the original TecmoBowl. I spent many a game toying with my dad on long, winding, runs and just as he thought I was caught, Bo would truck a woud-be tackler.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm

BTW, I didn't intend this thread to be just my old ass sitting on a rocker reminsicing about his childhood, so I'd love for anyone else to share anything cartoon related. C'mon, don't be shy!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Project WU-5573

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:43 am

In July, 2008, three friends were walking upon the beach in Montauk, NY, when they came across a strange animal carcass that had washed ashore. Though exactly what the creature was wasn't immediately known, many speculated that it could've been the result of secret government experiments from the Plum Island Animal Disease Center off the coast of Long Island, NY, a federal research center designed on the surface to study and protect US livestock from animal diseases But many have said the island serves a more dubious mission as a sort of Island of Dr. Moreau house of horrors.

Artist rendition of the Montauk Monster:
Spoiler:

For years, conspiracy theorists had attempted to uncover secret government experimentations seeking to create animal hybrids for military purposes designated Project WU-5573, or more commonly referred to as Project WUZZLE.

In 1985 creators at Disney and ABC sought to expose these horrible genetic experimentations by disguising them as cute, harmless looking animals in a thirty minute animated Saturday morning "cartoon" called coincidentally enough as The Wuzzles, cartoon #10 on our list.

It was thought at the time that the general public was not ready for such revelations and thus an animated program might help soften the earth shattering news similar to the way the Jetsons or The Galaxy Trio were used to expose the population to the existence of extraterrestrials and reverse egineered alien technology twenty years earlier.

The Wuzzles introduced such hybrids as the Bumblelion, the horrific results of the hybridization of a lion and a bumblebee capable of weaving it's way through the air into enemy territory before landing and savagely mauling the enemy. There was also Rhinokey, a cross between a rhino and a monkey, that was able to stop a tank in it's tracks with it's impervious hide and remove it's inhabitants with it's shear brute strength. There was also Eleroo, a kangaroo/elephant(land assualt), Butterbear, half butterfly, half bear (air dominance). Moosel (moose/seal--aquatic assault), Hoppopotamus (hippo/rabbit), Crocosaurus (crocodile/tyranosaur), amongst other horribe combinations all created to further American military dominance across the globe.

To the unassuming public, The Wuzzles was just a show about a bunch of imaginary jumbled animals who lived on the magical Isle of Wuz (Plum Island(?)) in which silly adventures occurred. In one episode entitled "Moosel's Monster", Moosel accuses everyone of being a monster while also claiming that a "real, friendly monster" is all in his head. It doesn't take much to read between the lines to see the hidden message in such episodes.

The Wuzzles only lasted one season despite it having said to have been the brainchild of then CEO of Disney Michael Eisner. Curiously enough the show debuted on CBS in the exact same timeslot as another Disney original cartoon, DIsney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears on NBC (a cartoon many speculated stemmed as an allegory of government mind control experiments as part of MKUltra, positing "Gummibeary Juice" may be some kind of drug that makes a person easily susceptible to control while enhancing their strength and dexterity). Many have said that this was all planned by a shadowy Disney cabal in an attempt to weaken the popularity of both shows in order to remove them from the public domain as quickly as possible. While some have said this is all wild speculation, others point to darker Disney influences dating as far back as the 1950's when former Nazi Germany aerospace engineer, Wernher Von Braun, served as a "technical adviser" for several Disney films.

For decades, Project WU-5573 was laughed off as just a crazy. crackpot theory from tinfoiled hat loonies, until the discovery of the Montauk Monster in 2008 forced many to reconsider that science fiction might just be science fact. Since the Montauk Monster discovery no one has come forth to deny the existence of Project WU-5573.

Perhaps this is all just nonsense I came up with on my own on a slow Saturday morning, and I'm rambling on about some imaginary, dark, shadow government absurdly seeking to rule the world scientific experimentions. But I will leave you with just this one question:

If all of this is hogwash, why is it that The Wuzzles are currently unavailable on Disney+?

Here in the land of Wuz
They're having twice the fun
Cause every single thing
Is really two in one

A little bit of this
A little bit of that
And when you add it up
You get a lot of laughs!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Project WU-5573

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Hello, is this thing on?
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm not too familiar with the Wuzzles although they remind me of another animal pals line from the 80s called Popples.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Yeah, Popples had stuffed animals, too, but they all turned into balls. Wuzzles were just two combined animals (in an undisclosed lab by the government). I think The Popples had a short lived cartoon, but I always thought they were more of a girls toy. I remember having a Bumblelion stuffed animal, while I think my sister had the little figurines (they were kind of like the CareBears figurines). The Wuzzles was actually a pretty decent show so I'm surprised it lasted only one year. Maybe if Disney had owned ABC at the time...

I'd probably watch a couple episodes if it made it to Disney+.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Cartoon 11 holds a curious spot in my childhood...

Curious because I can't recall ever watching an entire episode. Surely, I must have. I mean, I remember coming across it on TV but I don't think it was anything that ever caught my attention so that I watched it regularly. Honestly, it's another one of those shows that I kind of remember coming across at my grandma's house where we got Canadian TV stations. I couldn't tell you what time, I would just think it aired at some point on weekday afternoons so I must've been watching another channel at the time most days.

And I also never owned the toys, which is rare for the mid-80s. Certainly, I recall friends and cousins having some of them, but I never. I don't know why, like I said, there was so much on back then, and this just wasn't something I ever felt compelled to watch or play with.

Anyway, Centurions ran for two season, totalling 65 episodes, many of which were written by Gerry Conway. The basic premise of the show is summed up pretty well in the show intro. Interestingly, for some reason I'd always assumed this was a Hanna Barbera show. The animation makes me thing of HB shows, and think especially the narrator sounds like someone I'd have heard often on other shows, many of them being Hanna-Barbera. But it's actually Ruby-Spears, a company I never heard of growing up, but made many popular cartoons of the day including one containing my avatar, Ookla the Mok from Thundarr the Barbarian.

So I'd be curious to hear from anyone who actually watched The Centurions or had the toys.

Man, I thought that Wuzzles post was pure gold and besides Acid I got crickets. What's with you people?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions