Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:31 am

I'm glad his name rings a bell there. His music made the show more outstanding. Those recording sessions that you saw, that is a kinda rare to see because they don't always film them. You saw what a good personality that Bear has and what a big respect he has for the past and that's one of the reasons I have big respect for him :)

OK, you posted Godzilla vs. Kong...thanks ;)

So I recall anticipating this movie since I saw that big cut scene at the end of Kong: Skull Island. I was like oh boy, here we go again cause Godzilla fought King Kong in 1962 before so yet another remake. I was like Kong is huge here but dang, he's got a lot of growing to do...well that story was 1975 at about 100 feet tall which he was bigger that original 1933 Kong and 1976 Kong but absolutely & severely dwarfs the 2005 Kong but 62 Kong was slightly bigger...fast forward to 2020...oh wait the pdemic happen, I had to wait an extra year for this :x It's 2021 now...he grew a couple hundred feet now and he's the biggest Kong incarnation ever and rivals Godzilla in height & size. So that trailer you provided PB was like the first one I seen. Right off the bat there you can see a glimpse of Mechagodzilla...they tried to keep him a secret but with the web and Playmates showing their figures off before the film hit, it was known that he was in it. I loved that King Ghidorah was resurrected with Cybernetics and became Mechagodzilla. This was actually a twist of Mecha King Ghidorah from the great 1991 film (one of the best Godzilla films ever!) and so he was actually two characters in one :shock: Now the Godzilla vs. Kong aspect was done greatly. The battleship fighting scenes was done superbly well. In fact I think it was made better than anticipated and in the end I'm glad they became allies and rulers of their respected regions. I loved how Godzilla shot his beam thru the ground reaching HOLLOW EARTH...that was pretty insane there. The Hollow Earth aspect was phenomenal. Personally I believe there is a real Hollow Earth and that Antarctica leads to it and as much of that is in movies, Jules Verne and Admiral Byrd talked about...there's gotta be something to it. Now the creatures in the Hollow Earth was quite cool. You saw in My Godzilla pack how rad they are in figure form. Now as I mentioned before, there is Fotodons in this movie. They were in the excellent 2005 King Kong film which still it is not known why they were here because 1. this is a reboot and 2. it's not Universal. I read that their like ancestors of the Godzilla species so I don't know but like I said, Playmates made Fotodons for the 05 film and I plan on crossing them over with the new figures since they are in scale. Really I think it was a fantastic movie. I didn't feel that it was as epic or special as the G:KOTM one but that's because of many reasons including the huge delay of it being in 2021 and not march of 2020 like I was anticipating, the music was by a different composer that made it feel different and also because My Grandma was in the hospitable so I had a lot of factors there however it certainly is a very worthy, fun & exciting movie that is part of a great franchise :)

Now as I said about Bear McCreary having his respect for past movies and iconic themes. He didn't compose the music for Godzilla vs. Kong. I was kinda bummed about it but then I was excited because the composer that took his place is Tom Holkenborg who I'm a big fan of. Though I originally knew him as Junkie XL. He's one of Hans Zimmer's associates and arguably My favorite of the whole huge Media Ventures/Remote Control Productions group. I just love his sound. Maybe you know him :?: He did 300: Rise of an Empire, Mad Max: Fury Road, Batman vs. Superman, Tomb Raider 2018, Alita: Battle Angel and replaced Danny Elfman for the Zack Snyder Justice League super cut. He's really a tremendous composer but he did what I said some composers do and that I have mixed feeling about. He DOES NOT use the iconic themes like Bear did and this is one of the reasons for Me why the movie wasn't as epic as it should have been. With that being said, he did make his own theme sound like the classic Godzilla theme however. If you know his sound from the films that I just mentioned then you'll know it's him. This cue comes from his own YT so that picture you see in the corner is him.

This is from WaterTower Music which is Warner Brothers' own Record Label. This is truly an epic piece here when Godzilla is fighting Kong in the Tasman Sea. I love his choir that he uses :)

This is the huge scene with Mechagodzilla. I really like how "cyber" it sounds. Holkenborg does wonders with his own Godzilla & Kong themes here.

Well, there's that. If you want to talk more Godzilla, Kong there's plenty more to, I could talk them all day ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:10 pm

I'm not familiar with that composer to be honest. I noticed they did the Godzilla theme a little in the films, but not like the old ones used it a lot. I know we did the 70s King Kong, wasn't sure if we did the original.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:16 am

Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL is very good and yes it was there briefly...G:KOTM used it the most out of all of the new Legendary ones. That's good you noticed it, it makes the film so much funner when you noticed the music ;)

Yes, you did the 1976 Kong, not the 1933 Kong. When I first saw it I thought it was incredible for the time and really still is. I actually seen Godzilla vs. King Kong from 1962 and King Kong Escapes from 1967 first :shock: I liked how the Dinosaurs were. The T-Rex was actually and Allosaurus because during this classical era they were discovering many types of dinos and misplaced the hands...T-Rex had two fingers, Allosaurus has three...the creature here has three. You can tell that they didn't know a ton of stuff about prehistoric life like in the last couple of decades. Also, Kong was a huge deal. Hollywood went crazy over apes from then to the 70s because..well first I don't know if you know this...Gorillas were actually Cryptids at one time. They almost had a Bigfoot legacy till their discovery. It was when explorers heard the stories of "Ape Men" in the Jungles from the natives. Well, they didn't believe it. Then they found them and found Chimps, Orangutans and so forth. It was a huge, I mean huge thing back then. That's why Hollywood had that craze with King Kong and the Three Stooges had many many gorillas in them, Universal Monsters really did too, remneer the Jungle captive films I showed before and oh, Planet of the Apes really did :!: The Komodo Dragon had a similar story...during WWII a fighter pilot saw these "Dragons" off the island of Komodo. He told his squad and commanding officer about it and they didn't believe him like expected...then they investiagted and saw them for themselves and then it was a major discovery back then. Still people laugh and dis Cryptozoology when they need to look back at how animals we know today were not recognized by science and look at how they are now :shock: That's one of the reasons why I like the Kong story and Skull Island, so many living fossils and undiscovered fauna there :) Also that's why I loved the 2005 Kong, the way it was presented was more of a Cryptozoology film compared to the ones made prior to it :)

Here's the great theme by Max Steiner, he was one of the first major composers for movies when the silent era ended :)

OK, here's Son of Kong that came out right after the first one. I found this one much better. I love the fight between Kong jr. & The Cave Bear :!:

Max Steiner did the score for Son of Kong too and like the film, I found the music much more exciting as well. The first 31 second is absolutely gold and astounding :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:18 am

Oh boy, Godzilla 1985. Now this is actually The Return of Godzilla or Godzilla 1984 but with difference that I think is better. See Japan is a year a head of us Americans when it comes to their movies most of the time. Raymond Burr is in 85, not 84. This is actually the first Godzilla film I saw. I believe either My Mom or Grandma recorded it for Me. I was astounded by it as a youngster. I became a Kaiju fan forever since. Like I said before, it's arguably the darkest Godzilla film of all and is still arguably the greatest one too. If you never seen it I suggest you do, it's a pure magical 80s monster film with such great effects and so much more. Now this is actually a reboot...the Showa era ended with Terror of Mechagodzilla in 1975. Godzilla 1985 began the Heisei era which lasted till 1995 and is My favorite time of Godzilla movies. Now here's this. Godzilla is the only monster in the movie besides a mutated sea-louse that is only the size of big Turkey or Pig. Toho was going to put a new monster in it called Bagan. He is from China. They decided to scrap the idea which I have always wondered how in the world the film might have been had they not did that :roll: However in the SNES Video Game Super Godzilla...he is THE MAIN BAD Kaiju in the game. I showcased it a while back...

Bagan was huge, larger than Godzilla and I always really liked his design.

Now here's some stuff from the Godzilla 1985 movie.

I have always loved this New World Pictures Logo with Godzilla's roar. After New World Pictures went out of business, future reissues of the film would not include this wonderful little bonus when the movie begins.

Here's when he attacks the Russian Sub...such a great scene.

A quote from your Monster of the Day Topic :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:In fact The Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984/Godzilla 1985 IMO is still THE best Godzilla film. I love how dark in nature it is, how he looks, the music and the sound of his roar :!:

My Grandpa went out on business trip in 1986 or so in Kansas City, MO. There was a cool comic shop there, He saw a Imperial Toys Godzilla 1985 Figure there in their window and knew I'd want & love him and bought him for Me. This Godzilla is one of My most prized figures of all and I never could thank My Grandpa PoPo enough :(

You can see the entire showcase here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-toy-discussions/my-vintage-action-figure-collection-willow-1988-t1087-20.html

Spoiler:
This is when they trap Godzilla in the Volcano. I have always found this scene so sad. I still cry about to this very moment. It's really one of the most depressing endings to be honest. Now he does escape for the 1989 sequel Godzilla vs. Biolantte but still it's quite sad to hear even a monster such as Godzilla to be in fear :roll:

Here's Raymond Burr Wonderful speech and ever word he says is true :)

Now the music is terrific. It's one of the greatest ever, like the top 5 if not number one in all Godzilla films. The music is by Reijiro Koroku though for 85 Christopher Young (ANOES 2, Hellraiser, The Fly II) wa shired to put some of his Def-Con 4 score in it which really made the film seem more special. I recall when i first heard this when I was a youngster, I thought it was so incredible and I still to at this very moment. Here's two versions of the Main Title :)

Here's the totally awesome End Credits Music :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm

That's another one I haven't seen. Raymond Burr should've said history shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:43 am

Well put that on your must list. You can tell your son how huge it was for Me when I was his age ;)

Ah, the Netflix Godzilla. This one came out 2017 and is part of the Reiwa era beginning with Shin Godzilla.This is actually part of a trilogy that was filmed about the same time of each other, kinda like they did with King Kong & Son of Kong as both came out in 1933. The animation is quite different and really the whole series is far different than previous Godzilla entries. This Godzilla is known as Godzilla Earth. He's called that because of his size. He's the biggest incarnation of Godzilla EVER. Here's a chart to show you. Even our Legendary Monster-Verse Godzilla pales in comparison to him on the far right. Godzilla Earth is 300 meters, that's around 1000 feet tall, he's about 1, 800 meters tall which that is almost 2000 feet long and he weighs about 100,000 tons, possibly even more :smsad: :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Use that chart for future reference ;) There's other Kaijus in the move that was seen in other movies as well as new ones. The sequels are Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle & Godzilla: The Planet Eater, both came out in 2018.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:15 pm

That's a cool chart. I never saw that before. Fun story, I was driving my ten year old home from hockey practice last night and he was sitting in the front with me. We talked hockey for a few minutes then he said he was going to continue watching a movie on his phone. I said, oh, what movie are you watching? Godzilla 1985, he said. Lol.

The anime ones look ok. Would probably be last on my list of ones we want to check out. Still need to get to Shin Godzilla, probably tomorrow night.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:47 am

The Anime ones would be last on My list to recommend. That is a big coincidence. Did you tell him that your friend Brandon on the DC Board is a huge fan of it :?:

Atragon is one of the few I haven't seen. We never could find it at the video stores and it was never on TV so We just never got to it. That's the one with Manda, the serpentine Dragon. He was also in Destroy All Monsters & Final Wars. He's got such a great design. Notice how they put some of the classic Godzilla music there. That was by Akira Ifukube who did most of the classic Godzilla scores :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:58 pm

So we finally watched Shin Godzilla tonight. Eh, it wasn't really my cup of tea. It was ok. I know my son didn't care for it as much because there wasn't enough Godzilla smashy smash for a 10 year old. The story was interesting enough, but at times the CGI was pretty wonky and dated, and when Godzilla was walking without moving his arms it just looked strange. I appreciate them trying something different, but it's not one I'll look to watch again. The end was a bizarre for sure, not sure where that would've gone but I could see people not caring for Godzilla going Cloverfield. I definitely like the Monsterverse version much more. Going to try and watch Minus One tomorrow night.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions