Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:08 am

I never saw Fear Strike Out with Anthony Perkins, that looked cool. This was before he was chosen to play Norman and can see why :o This reminds Me of Paul O'Neil when he'd throw his tantrums which was quite silly that he'd do that yet very exciting every-time he would ;)

So let's continue the old classics a bit further. I was never a big fan of the old gangster movies and all that but there was only certain ones that I liked. Here's this with James Cagney called White Heat from 1949...this was very good :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:47 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:34 am

Pep, that was some fire scene there :o I never saw Cagney's Public Enemy before. It was amazing how they'd hype up movies with trailers back then I mean the silent age just ended not to long before this time :shock:

Here's Ragtime, this was Cagney's last movie. It came out the year I was born in 1981. My Grandparents went to the show to see it and My Grandma MiMi really disliked it as she found it boring which really there wasn't many movies that she'd say that about, she wasn't that picky really. I finally saw the film a few years ago to see what the heck all of this Ragtime stuff she was talking & complaining to Me about for many, many years was. I didn't find the movie that boring but it was like when is something going to happen but when it did it was kinda unbelievable :shock: I probably would have been bored about it when i was much younger I mean it's nothing like My Science Project, Big Trouble in Little China, Ghostbusters or something like, now that's exciting :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:33 am

I can't say I've seen that one. It would've been something I'd avoid when I was younger, but it looks decent enough where I might check it out if I came across it today.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:24 am

Oh it's decent PB :) I never seen 42nd Street before. Gosh the the 1930s were something ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:53 am

Early Pre-Code 1930s movies were pretty wild. Between violent gangster movies and "racy" films, after the Hays Code in 1935, films were pretty watered down for decades as far as violence and sexuality actually depicted on screen. Pre-1935 or so, there was a little implied sex and innuendo in many films that you wouldn't see so overtly again until decades later.

'

I couldn't find a clip of this with the original sound, but this is the "infmaous" slave scene from Roman Scandals from 1933 starring Eddie Cantor, singer Ruth Etting, Gloria Stuart with choreography by Busby Berkely featuring the Goldwyn Girls who counted amongst themselves in this very film, a young Lucille Ball.

Code enforcement began to become more strict in 1934.

Busby Berkely was known for his large, often kalediscopic dance routines. You've probably seen them often immitated in other films and shows.

Anyway, another Pre-Code film about a woman who used everything she had to get ahead in life!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:12 am

Oh yeah, sometimes when i watch movies from those eras I'm still surprised about the things that happens and that in them and really makes movies of today look like kid movies...kinda like Attitude Era vs. today's wrestling IMO. Here's this one, Metropolis, With all of this A.I., robots, cyborgs, transhumanism, symbolism obsessiveness going on, this is the Granddaddy of all sci-fi films because it predates it all :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Believe it or not, I never actually have seen that. I know of it, just never watched it.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:30 am

How about that I never saw The Petrified Forrest :shock:

Here's another one that is silent and one that is on the list of what we were talking about earlier, La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc from 1928:o

The music is tremendous, it's by Richard Einhorn. This has one of the best choirs I've ever heard and I've listen to a lot of choirs over the many, many years. This is truly a magical piece of music ;)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:30 pm

I never really watched any silent films. Just never found the interest.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions