Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Toy Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:42 am

I never seen them before nor that commercial. I recently stumbled across a show on PBS called Scouting for Toys. It's about a British auction house called Vectis that auctions off toy collections. It's pretty interesting. It's British, so there's a lot of European stuff I'm not familiar with, but they've also had Star Wars, Superman, Hot Wheels, etc, and recently, ERTL cars. It's on Saturdays at 7PM around here, so check your local listings as they often say.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:36 am

I don't have a DVR, I had to cancel the service you know :roll: I have a nice Sideshow Sean Connery, maybe I'll showcase him one day. I was going to do it on the other board a while back but with them not appreciating what I do and being so distant from Me they f/n blew it :x He had a great collection of SW. Unless he got them when he was a kid for army builders, having that many duplicates in his adult life is like scalping even it was for a good cause, I didn't even get to have one Kenner Millennium Falcon back then though I'm thankful I do with the Galoob Micro Machines one. Again, if I could, I would rather get this great vintage stuff then this new modern stuff, there's so much more history & meaning to it IMO. Though with all of My great SW stuff I do have I'm quite grateful :) That show looks to be pretty entertaining, I never heard of the channel Yesterday but it seems really fun. Those were pretty good videos, the last was quite cool PB ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:01 am

Yeah, it's not a bad show. That guy did have too many, but it was also cool seeing figures from all different countries. I think he made roughly $84,000 in US dollars for what he sold on that episode.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:15 am

OK. indeed he did and yes, it's always great to see toys from any era from other countries. You know I collected a lot from Japan such as Dinosaurs & Kaijus. I loved the toys from there, in fact they are arguably My fave type of toy/figure to collect :) I love the small assembly style and the sculpting :batwink:

Dang, I do not recall that Sonic Happy Meal from McDonald's at all, that was amazing and would love to have that PB :shock:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:06 am

Looks like an interesting program. I might have to check it out if it airs here. My only real exposure to English toys (or toys that are popular among the Brits) are Action Man, Subbuteo, Colditz and Sylvanian Families (which looks like it sells here as Calico Critters)
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting show. This past weekend's ep had a lot of Meccano sets, which are basically British Erector sets. Actually, Meccano predates Erector by a couple years and eventually bought out Erector. Now both brands are actually owned by SpinMaster. I always liked the idea of Erector sets but to me they were just pieces of metal and I didn't really feel any draw toward something so clunky and abstract looking. STEM was never my thing anyway, even if we didn't have a name for it back then.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:05 am

Acid - I didn't know much of the British toys till around the 2010s, when I was recruited to a Action Man board back in 2013 from a guy that was posting at the same 12" figure place I was, I then learned a lot of their Action Man stuff that basically it was Hasbro's UK version of G.I. when i accepted his invitation. I wouldn't have minded to have some with their fuzzy hair but they way they were/are on the board is so ridicules. He always acted like he never knew anything about the US and didn't know Willow was written by Lucas and didn't even know Willow was filmed in the UK despite he lives right over there. 2020 he wants Me back and I accepted. He's such a huge wrestling fan yet when I posted so much wrestling PPV stuff and more he never replied plus there's a guy there always changing his name acting so weird and then somebody new comes along and says good about My showcases and I'll tell them to keep up with Me cause I post often then they never, never post again. There was only 2 people I really liked on there and their American but I thought it was really cool talking to others from other countries like the UK, Australia & New Zealand but because of them I felt really bummed and made My meter of society fall even further down and made Me have a bitterness of Action Man. Since I left them after My Grandma passed last year cause I just had enough of their stupidity and ignorance, nobody, NOBODY has ever had the courtesy nor kindness of even thinking about Me and posting on My topics that never had replies before and be like gosh, Brandon did this and there's not anyone talking about this....nope not one reply to anything I did...oh they'll tell you that its so hard searching for topics and that bum-steer...believe Me, it's not, I go back on topics all the time and search...it's not that hard...those people suck plain & simple :x

PB - I can tell ya right now, as great as those are, those aren't My thing. I never had the patience to build stuff like that no matter how impressive it looked. I had explained this about models to before when I talked about Suburban Commando & The Relic. I felt bad because My Grandma got Me some that was similar with steel and all that and I trashed them really cause I was a picky, dumb, ungrateful brat at the time and even though it's been 30 years or so I still feel bad about that :roll: She got a lot of K'Nex, remember them :?: they were pretty nice. I still have the case and, maybe once I get to the 90s I'll showcase it a bit :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:20 am

Yeah, I never had the patience for that kind of stuff. LEGO included.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:27 am

I see, LEGO was OK, I just got disinterested in it later on. That Gretzky Hockey looked fun. I never played it cause I was never into hockey. It was so cool then when games were on the N64 yet Playstation was continuing to thrive. It still amazes how Midway is gone, such a huge and important arcade & video game company and their almost forgotten now :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

I never played this either but here's the 30th anniversary of this 1993 classic by Electronic Arts for the Sega Genesis :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:40 am

I love the early EA NHL games. NHL '94 is still probably the most fun hockey game ever made. The NHL has a commercial out that has clips from the games that I really like.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions