Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Toy Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:17 pm

5 POA is too low for my modern taste. Plus the resemblances are usually intentionally poorer for that more retro-80s look, and the combination just doesn't interest me.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Likeness is important to me, too. I think if they could strike a happy medium with strong likeness and price point to articulation ratio, I could see myself buying something like that. I started collecting 5 Points XL from Mezco for the Godzilla figures and I'm actually pretty happy with the level of articulation. They're still pretty expensive but they're not MonsterArts expensive which was too prohibitive price wise to me for me to collect.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm

Even in 3.75 scale I need at least something like 80s GI Joe level of articulation to even pique my interest. I get the appeal of teh Retro figures but at the price they sell in stores it just seems unreasonable to me. I mean, some of the lines like GI Joe don't sell for much less that the 1/12 figures and those are packed with way more articulation and accessories.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:55 pm

Exactly. They'd need a much better price to articulation/scale ratio. The Super 7 ReAction Joes cost almost the same as the highly articulated line or just slightly less than the highly articulated 6 inch line. I get it with the licensing costs and lower build volume but it doesn't change that it makes it a lot harder to shell out those clams for a technically inferior figure when a technically superior figure is available of the same thing for roughly the same.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:36 am

I don't even look at Super 7 stuff. Way too expensive.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 am

Yes, Super7 is and I had to retire MOTUC because of them and the current era we're in :roll: Well, the high prices are so unattractive to Me, even if I could afford today's offerings I'm not sure if I'd give in to them cause it milks the current state even further :x I was a huge, HUGE POA junkie back in the day, I would brag & brag about it when Marvel Legends & the Spider-Man movie first came out then things changed like Hasbro taking it over limiting the POA. When I was collecting 12" figures by Sideshow and the like they had POA like ML which was a big factor for Me cause of all the poses you could put them in. Then stuff was getting higher & higher and I just couldn't do it anymore. I learned to be more appreciative and less greedy of a figure. IMO We don't need a lot of POA for a great fun figure, I am happy with the older Vintage stuff hence My Vintage Star Wars figures and they still have great likenesses which likenesses was the biggest factor for Me and really still is. With the rise of McFarlane & Sideshow with such incredible sculpts in the 2000s (many doesn't talk about how great Playmates's sculpting & likenesses were in the 90s, shame because they were arguably the best and they usually had a good number of POA also!) almost every company improved their's as well but even Vintage stuff like My 80s & 90s SW is still great looking. Wrestling figures of course is a big deal, Jakks' real scan tech was a different story which didn't take talent to do like McFarlane but IMO the best wrestling figures ever was ToyBiz's TNA and also scale is a huge issue for Me. If you read My wrestling figure showcases then you already know this part and I don't need to explain it any further. I'm not hard to please, gimMe something that looks good, what's its supposed to look like, that it'll be fun and fit with My collection then I'm all set :)

See PB, instead of companies making variant after variant of Batman, He-Man, John Cena & Chris Jericho and having the mentality of "what sells" and actually thinking of the collector (cause let's face it, guys our age is the ones that's getting these figures and not this generation, they haven't got a clue how special it was when we were their age and what it was like actually going to a TRU or a KB and seeing all that toy goodness on the pegs) hasn't been made before. Mattel had their chance to make something happen during the Matty Collector line but they blew that so hard with their poor budget mouth crap and it made Me and many others sick :x I mean fans were wanted them to make lines like Bravestarr & Blackstarr and even DC Warrior Beasts that I showed in My Showcases but no, they just couldn't :roll:

Now those corporate locust Hasbro are doing this...

Hasbro Cuts 1000 Jobs 1.jpg

So now Hasbro is doing that and all those people are going to be without jobs, like I said long ago when ToyGuru was with Mattel, its so amazing when your a billion dollar company and one of the biggest & richest in the world what a billion bucks can do for you :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

OK, moving on. You said about Buck Rodgers, IMO the retro type figures are the way to go, Bucky is vintage, he needs to look & feel that way but that's just Me. You just posted Battle Beyond the Stars in your Movie Trailer topic. I mentioned about other movies that I'll talk about later. For a long time I thought that they were worthy enough for a company to make such as Kenner and it would be awesome to have them with My Vintage SW but nope, never happen and still hasn't :roll: Imagine how cool that would have been :)

OK, your Mattel Major Matt Mason was great, I never saw that before, I would have not minded to have that classic :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:04 am

Yeah, I saw that about Hasbro. The continued price increases couldn't have helped with sales. I know I quit Marvel Legends because $25 was just too much for the number of figures they were pumping out. And then there's the Boba Fett Tax in the Star Wars line. I'm sure I'm not the only one that cut back on their collecting. THings like the new Dungeon's and Dragons line would've been something I'd be interested in at maybe $20, but at $25 I just can't justify it. And don't get me started on the plastic free windowless boxes. Having worked retail for many years, even in toy departments, I know the amount of scummy people out there who part swap. They had no qualms putting old figures into boxes where you could plainly see it wasn't the correct figure or parts were missing. and returning them to stores. Lord only knows what's in some of those windowless boxes now. The people running Hasbro's action figure lines need to be replaced IMO. Look at the Rancor fiasco. They're clueless to what fans want.

Anyway...

Spoiler:
Hopefully you "woooooo'ed" while watching that!

Spoiler:
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:21 am

I think it would have been really fun working like that in retail and seeing action figures all day & night whether you wanted them or not and I couldn't agree more with what you just said there and I'm not checking out those spoilers till later.

Seeing that G.I. Joe makes Me think about Actionman and how those people are on their board, its all quite bittersweet but that Joe was pretty cool, it was amazing how they were then with fuzzy heads and all, they were before their time really, nice PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 am

Oh, these spoilers are safe.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:58 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions