Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Classic Songs & Music Videos of Yesteryear!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Classic Songs & Music Videos of Yesteryear!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:28 am

Continuing GB II, here is 2 really good ones.

Here is the Promised Land by James "J.T." Taylor - It's really an underrated one.

Supernatural by New Edition - This is such an underrated song too!

That's it, more GB coming soon :)

NOTE: Today is MTV's 41st Anniversary in 1981 when they first launched...the year I was brought into this world...Me and MTV is about the same age :batsmile: Lot of fun times there in the 80s & 90s when MTV was actually music television :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:12 am

More GB II. Glen Frey's Flip City!

Howard Huntsberry's Higher and Higher!

Ghostbusters 1 is NEXT :batgrin:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:19 am

So let's back up a little in time to Ghostbusters 1 in 1984. I have already showed My love for Laura Branigan's Hot Night in the beginning of the topic...with Me you cannot talk about Ghostbusters and not mention Hot Night! Like a lot it is so underrated and unappreciated :roll: It was barley used in the film, in Louis & Dana's apartment. If you haven't heard it get to the beginning of the topic, it's one of My faves of all-time, Laura was simply amazing :batsmile:

Here is the Thompson Twins In the Name of Love - This was truly a wonderful song. It was played when the GB are eating their Chinese Takeout when you see their arcades!

And speaking of their Chinese takeout, here is the Bus Boys's super fun song Cleanin' Up the Town when the GB got their first call to the Sedgewick Hotel!

More GB comin' soon :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:37 am

Continuing Ghostbusters, here is Air Supply's "I Can't Wait Forever". This terrific song was briefly heard in the background in the scene when the Ghostbusters are fired and also when Jim Belushi makes a very small cameo before he was really a top star.

See, a lot of these songs are in the background, you gotta listen & pay attention closely to these scenes just like Oingo Boingo's song "Flesh'N Blood" that I already posted in GB II. If you do and spot them then kudos to you ;)

More Ghostbusters to come soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Wubba wubba wubba, I really wanted to do this on the 1st but we were out of town, so it had to wait. On August 1st, 1981 at 12:01 AM MTV launched with the words "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll," spoken by John Lack. That's right, MTV just turned 41, and for the first 10 years they actually played music on the Music Television Network.

Most people know what the first video to air was, but if you don't, I'm not telling you, you'll just have to watch...

Fewer people probably know what the next songs to air were, but they were in this order....

Some big named acts there but not exactly a murderer's row of classic songs besides the Who which was also the first song to be air a second time on MTV. "Just Between You and Me" by April Wine, and "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins each aired 5 times in the first 24 hours.

Rod Stewart had 11 songs and 16 appearances in the first 24 hours. They apparently wanted his body and they thought he was sexy, so sugar, they let everyone know.

So there's some trivia for you all to impress your friends and family. Happy belated birthday, MTV!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:56 pm

I noted earlier about MTV's anniversary a few days ago but it wasn't a big write up like you did PB. Oh great stuff. I really didn't know that videos were first. I believe I said it before, I didn't really pay attention to MTV till I saw Michael Jackson's Thriller a while later, I was still quite young...after that I was really getting interested in the channel off and on and the rest is history. My Grandma MiMi loved Rod Stewart. Great write up there PB, there is so much great history there :) I believe I saw the Moon Landing vid there on MTV in the early 90s, they probably had a 10th anniversary special or something like that then ;)

Don't forget to check out the Ghostbusters songs I posted here while you were away dude, more to come then Batman ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 pm

It's funny, because I think Thriller was my first real memories of music videos as well. I remember it was a big hoopla back then that some guy named Michael Jackson was making this big budget video or whatever. I know we talked about this in some thread earlier. I was saving Thriller for October, that and December will be fun because I'm going to try and keep the daily threads holiday themed for that month. Let's see how that goes.

I don't really remember Rod Stewart's early MTV stuff. For some reason, I don't recall even knowing much about him until the 90s. I did always like these two songs and videos.

By then I thought of Rod Stewart as more of an adult contemporary singer, aka as something my parents would listen to, lol. It never occurred to me that he was considered a "rocker" or a sex symbol not that long before. I mean, he certainly didn't dress or dance like a heart throb IMO.

I never knew until recently that Downtown Train was a cover of a Tom Waits song. I've only recently gotten into Tom Waits, I think after hearing his version of Ol '55 on the AEW Brodie Lee Tribute show. I like Waits, but I think the Rod Stewart version is better.

Try not to cry....

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:01 am

Amazing. OK. Yeah, I been thinkin' of Holiday themed stuff too. You can do Thriller if ya want ;) Let's just not try to post the same stuff since we think alike :? :lol: I remember a bit of that Rod Stewart stuff. I was never a big fan of his but I like I said, My Grandma MiMi sure was. Oh Mr Brodie Lee was sure a great one.

Here is the great Ghosbuster's scene of I believe It's Magic by Mick Smiley!

And here is the original MTV version!

More later :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Olivia Newton-John passed away at the age of 73 today. I remember some of her songs from the early 80s, and of course, Grease. I was actually planning to touch upon her a little for another music topic I was thinking of doing that I didn't want to over run this thread with, something along the lines of songs I would've never listened to as a kid. That is to say, music I admittedly like now, but might not play if my friends were around because they'd be like, what the hell are you listening to? You know, the kind of music you might sing along to if you're alone in your car but you might also lower the volume or roll up the windows if someone stopped alongside you at a red light, lol. But that's neither here nor there, at the moment. Maybe I'll write that up soon if it sounds interesting.

I think this was one of the more iconic music videos of the early years of MTV...

And here's why I was thinking of her, as I was planning on doing a write up on fellow Aussie Peter Allen. If you've never heard of him, you've probably still heard many of his songs over the years like Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do), Don't Cry Out Loud, the aboive I Honestly Love You, and Tenterfield Saddler a song about his grandfather and father, and about his life really, and Australia. Peter Allen passed away in 1992, and I didn't discover his music until many years later, but here's a beautiful post-mortem duet Newton-John performed.

RIP Olivia Newton-John

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:01 am

Oh man that is sad. I knew she was sick for a number of years :roll: She was a great singer and had some great music. She was also a very pretty woman, she still looked great when she got older. Shame :roll:

Say, I just posted Mick Smiley's Magic then this and then you posted her Magic song...weird again :?

Ok, one more for Ghostbusters, here is Alessi's Savin' the Day, just a tremendous song from a tremendous scene!

I'll do some Batman next :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions