Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: JRNY to K-Mart Plaza!!!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: INSECTICONS!

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:03 pm

Cool, great stuff. Like I said in the other thread, I had Insecticon Shrapnel early on but got Kickback and Bombshell when I got older. The new ones came with energon cubes that might have fit into their compartments but I don't recall if I read somewhere that they came from possibly the Diaclone line and you could put figurines in there.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: INSECTICONS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:41 am

PB - Cool. Well, I'm glad I reminded you about the Marvel book :)

Acid - Cool dude :) Oh I think your right about the compartments and all that :)

Thanks a lot guys :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: The VISIONARIES!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon May 02, 2022 8:20 am

NOTE: I know AcidDragon has been waiting for this ;)

If you are not familiar with them or need to be reminded then CLICK HERE for the Wikipedia Page!

So the Visionaries as you know was a very short lived animated series from 1987 that began & ended in the same year which was such a bummer as many of the greatest & funnest series' ever known is that way :roll: So this along with G.I. Joe, The Transformers & The Inhumanoids was all properties of Hasbro which I have already showcased which The Visionaries was a major part of the topic that was missing but now it is here and it was a tough one to fulfill. So what you are about to see is going to be one of the most impressive collections of the series as I have every character...even the vehicles :o I loved these guys, I thought they were awesome but there will be a major complaint before I get any further and I have been waiting for this moment to talk about for a very long time so I want to address this as this escapes most collector's minds because either they don't know, don't notice or don't care but for Me, I pay attention to info & detail that most don't and this is why things are the way they :roll: Hasbro was huge to Me for a long time then later as I matured I began to realize things and come the 2000s they were beginning to really irk Me and don't get Me started about their woke CRT, it's all bum-steer so these parasitic corporate locusts has been on My list of companies that I have major issues with along with Mattel but that's for other reasons that I had just revealed in My Horrible Mattel/WWF Deal in the wrestling figure section. Now back then in the 80s & 90s when I loved Hasbro, I loved Mattel too but I loved Tonka & Kenner arguably even more despite they were out of the picture in the 90s. So, Tonka made a great series that is nearly forgotten by many collector's and novice alike, I have tried to bring them back in this fantastic topic of Mine and that was The Super Naturals! I have showed them at least twice within the topic. They were actually released in 1986 but many pages and info sites list them in 87, that's because of the months they were issued. They were a great action figure series of holographic knights & wizards, it was a revolutionary technique at the time for toys. Then all of a sudden here comes a new action figure series by Hasbro called The Visionaries that had a cartoon to coincide with them unlike the Super Naturals as they didn't have that luxury. Their gimmick was the same with holographic chests and accessories and was also medieval themed fantasy with swords & sorcery. These was great trending genres of the 80s and so was holograms, stuff that has been severely lacking in this current, deplorable, absurd, androgynous and pathetic day and age we are in currently in. So the Super Naturals steam had run out and it was all The Visionaries now (think of it like the scenario of Man-Thing & Swamp Thing, nearly the same story for the Go-Bots & Transfomers but more about that in time) but it wouldn't last for long as their newer property were lose interests in kids for whatever reason. So, with all of this being said, even though I like what Hasbro has made over the past 3 decades since I was a youngster, I will still cherish them times of old but I can never truly think good of them just not for the reasons that I have already stated but I just hate the fact that they copy other company's ideas & features, then buy them so they can claim it is all part of their glory and you hear very, very little if any backlash about it from collectors or anybody for that matter :batrage: I have complained about this time and time again in My topics & showcases how they have took over some of the best and My favorite companies like Tonka & Kenner, Larami, Tiger Electronics, Milton Bradley & Parker Brothers, Galoob & OSTM, WowWee and many others. Before I stated that I had thought for the longest time that the video game company Acclaim was like Hasbro because they took over LJN, Arena, Flying Edge, Sculpted Software & Iguana and not to mention how they got the WWF license too :shock: They were the biggest and My fave video game company of the 80s & 90s because they had a different persona and such exciting video games but they folded in the 2000s which was a shock to Me back then, Hasbro is just lucky at their status but see if they really are grateful for that :roll:

So, with finally talking about Hasbro like that after all of this time of waiting, let's get to the showcase we have at hand here :batsmile: One day Me & My family went to K-B Toys in Crestwood Plaza that I have talked about before which was My usual stop at the time which I loved that store, you could get other options by their sister store K&K toys too that was just around the mall :batsmile: They had The Visionaries there, the whole set and it was ALL ON CLEARANCE super cheap :o I saw them there on the pegs & top shelves in the far right isle and I thought they were so neat (and not putting 2 + 2 together about The Super Naturals at the time). So I asked and My Grandparents & Mom all got together and got Me everyone they had before they were all out of stock :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I was so thrilled as that day became such a memorable time for Me :)

Unfortunately the line and overall franchise went into limbo as they weren't on TV often or at all anymore and with stores clearenceing their figures out left and right, how can you know about them if your not there at the right given time :?: Well, that's the way I feel about The Visionaires. For whatever reason why kids weren't into it and why the series became so obscure over time is beyond Me. I remember My best friend Donnie whom I talked about elsewhere on the board. He'd come over to the house after we just had a long day at school and we'd play video games, swim in My pool and play with My figures, mostly G.I. Joes...well one day I wanted to play with My Visionaries and he was astounded about them just not because of My impressive collection but also because he didn't know anything about them :shock: See even then it was happening and while I was kinda surprised about it at that moment and felt like a kid whom had a little prize gold mine but now, now I realize that periods like those were the beginning of a hazard-trap of oblivious times to come :roll:

Now, as usual there is a little wear here and I am missing a few pieces but most is intact and also their holograms are a bit worn as well but everything still looks quite decent to the nine. Are you ready to go down memory lane with My Visionaries collection :? LET'S GO :blbat:

The Spectral Knights: The hologram subjects here are great mammalian & avian animals for power, speed and wisdom for all that is good!

Arzon: I alwalys like him, he was one of My faves. I love his bird of prey hologram!

Leoric: Just like Azron, love his holographic lion!

Cryotek: He's good, love the bear!

Witterquick: Actually I thought he was one of the best figures of the whole line, love his cheetah!

Ectar: He is was an exclusive with The Lancer Cycle and his fox hologram is really cool!

Feryl: He was exclusive to the The Capture Chariot and check out his wolf hologram!

The Darkling Lords: Their animal holograms are of fauna that is intelligent, powerful, creepy and scary. NOTE: Yet another toyline of the endless reptilian obsession that has been going on for decades :o

Cindar:I always loved these older guys and him especially. Check out his gorilla hologram!

Darkstorm: He's really rad, what a hybrid reptile & mollusk he has there!

Cravex: He's great and his pteranodon is fantastic!

Lexor: I have always loved his color scheme, what a great reptilian hologram he has!

Mortdred: He came exclusively with the The Sky Claw, his hologram is of a nice arthropod!

Reekon: He was the exclusive figure for the Dagger Assault and he too has a cool reptilian hologram but this one is of a lizard!

Hologram Staffs: Now these were all included with the figures and serve a big purpose. NOTE: They were very difficult to take pics of but I assure you they do still work!

Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Mon May 02, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon May 02, 2022 8:20 am

The Vehicles: A lot of times I tend to skip the rides but in this case I had to get them plus they had the exclusive characters that Hasbro was known to include with them then again, Kenner did too...before this :o

The Lancer Cycle: This vehicle was really cool, Ectar came with it.

The Capture Chariot: Oh this one I just love, I loved how the chairs would come out and I fly them around as extra vehicles plus it has a really neat laser cannon. Feryl was the exclusive figure here!

The Sky Claw: This one I really liked. This is Mortdred's vehicle!

Dagger Assault: This is Reekon's huge vehicle. I remember how excited I was about this because it was so huge! It was really cool how you could put many of your figures in it for battle and I love the additional flying escape plane and I always loved putting the good guy figures in the dungeon and keeping them prisoner to be rescued!

GROUP SHOT: Here they are all together :!:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon May 02, 2022 8:21 am

SPECIAL BONUS GALLERY!

Copyrights: I love them and look at that raised plastic memory :batsmile:

G.I. Joe Similarity & Size Comparison: They have the same type of body and everything. Ball-jointed head & shoulders, cut biceps, rubber-band hips and hinged hips & knees. besided teh holograms feature and size difference, the figures are nearly identical figure concept-wise. These were your most ideal articulated action figures at the time if you don't count REMCO's Defenders and Playmates' TMNT whom would come only a very short while later :shock:

Joe Stand Example: So even though these guys are nearly identical to G.I. Joes in concept & articulation, one would think that the stands would fit them despite their a bit bigger right :?: Wrong :? The peg holes are much larger, check out the pic!

The Visionaries & The Super Naturals Debate: So here we are, a major point of the whole showcase :!: So look at that, we just didn't have characters wearing holograms, we actually have 2 LION THEMED characters as well...see where I'm going with this and what I have been talking about here :o :?:

IMO The Super Naturals had a better use of the technology and just looked more stunning over The Visionaries. I mean don't get Me wrong here, their awesome and they are extremely fun but they seemed like deluxe Joes compared to an original feeling action figure like Tonka's Super Naturals :batwink:

The Visionaries vs. The Super Naturals: Here they are in one of the most underrated showdowns that nobody talks about but for anybody whom ever wanted to see them together HERE THEY ARE :!:

A great memory from K-B Toys: One day I gotta have a special showcase of K-B and Crestwood Plaza because it was all such a great area that I thought would never leave but the whole mall and the entire are is gone, I mean its demolished and nearly completely unrecognizable and it was regard as one the state's most busiest shopping centers and I'm not talking about an average size one, I'm talking a mall that is size of blocks :!: It's all gone due to many reasons :roll: I may talk about later on. So here is My previously seen beloved General Kael from Tonka's Willow and The Visionaries' Mortdred because like The Visionaries, I got most of My fantastic Willow figures the same way on major clearance at K-B Toys not too far after them :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

SUPER SPECIAL BONUS GALLERY!

For a long time back in the day and even well pass it, I always pretended that Arzon & Leoric were like the WWF's Jacques & Raymond The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers :o

WHAT :o :? :?: What in the blazes is this :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: So 1987 came and went and 1990 arises to a whole new decade of promise. Hasbro's Visionaires has sadly already been a forgotten property, LJN folds and the WWF Superstars of Wrestling along with'em and is taken over by Acclaim. Hasbro now get's the WWF action figure licence and at the WWF 1990 Survivor Series there was an awesome team comprised of team captain "The Model" Rick Martel, The Warlord and "The Mighty" Hercules & "Pretty" Paul Roma of Power & Glory and what was their team name :? Why it was THE VISIONAIRES :smhuh: :batconfused: :wwlol: I don't know how many people saw and noticed then it then or even now because I don't recall anybody ever talking about this strange coincidence :?:

A Hasbro Collective: So here is a selection of the Visionaires along with other previously seen figures in My collections by Hasbro for a size reference which all belong G.I. Joe, Transformer & The Inhumanoids!

So there it is, I finally have showcased it. I think it was well worth the wait :) I hope you enjoyed it and were surprised a bit ;) We shall see what showcase will be next, until then I'll see around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon May 02, 2022 3:37 pm

Wow, you've got quite a few of these guys. I can't say I ever owned any. I think by 1987 I was more about Nintendo games than toys, sadly. I still watched cartoons regularly,but wasn't into as much the toylines.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 03, 2022 9:40 am

I see, well thanks very much fro the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 12, 2022 6:50 am

So I have been thinkin' of this for a long time and especially recently for many months now. I should have posted this in in My Grandma MiMi's tribute but there was so much to cover and I could only do so much. In fact I should have showed this in the very beginning of this topic but I didn't :roll: Enough was enough and now I'm doing something about it :!: So obviously this wasn't actually part of My planned showcases...I will get to them in time. What you are about to see is something VERY, VERY special to Me :(

So in this very special showcase is My Goin' to Grandma's Tote Bag. She got it for Me when I was a very little youngster. I took care of it believe it or not and it's just as nice and tidy as it was back then when she gave it to Me :o I'm not sure where she got it for Me at. It could have been Judy's Superstore, Globes or Woolworths, I'm sure it was one of the finest stores we used to go to :) I believe this is a rare piece as well.

I have always loved the blue color of it and the little picture on the front of the little boy on his skateboard with his trusty slingshot and his teddy bear friend. Its very cute. When I was really young I kinda pretended that was Me and I was always thrilled to go to My Grandparents' house...it was My fun place to be :cry:

So when I got older, there was only 1 figure series that worthy of this tote bag and that was My WILLOW figures by Tonka :o

See why I said I should have posted this in the beginning of this topic :?: If you don't already know then you missed what I'm talkin' about and a lot greatness here! I began this topic with My entire WILLOW figures by Tonka and they have been in this great blue tote bag since I got them in 1988 with even THEIR BLISTER CARDS with the Venture price stickers still intact :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I have however put all of My Kenner Ghostbusters Neutra Wands in THERE and it's been this way EVER SINCE for over 3 decades :shock:

Here is a size comparison of Willow's General Kael & one of the Death Dogs from whence them came from My Blue Tote Bag.

Here is the copyright of the company that made it which was HCLLINGER.

Well, that's it about My special showcase of My Goin' to Grandma's Tote Bag and I hope you liked it. Like I said, I should have showcased it a long time ago but I did now and that's what counts :) My previous update was My entire collection of My Visionaries, if you didn't see them then scroll all the way to the top, it's one of the most fantastic showcases I have ever made :batsmile: We shall see what the next showcase will be...until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Goin' to Grandma's

Postby AcidDragon » Thu May 12, 2022 8:28 pm

That's one heck of a Visionaries collection! I wish I got some of those, I always thought the hologram gimmick was super cool. Nice tote, btw! Very fitting you had that. :)
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Goin' to Grandma's

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 12, 2022 11:25 pm

Thanks very much Acid, I was wondering when you'd see My Visionaries collection :) At least I wasn't alone on the holograms there :batsmile: Indeed, I'm very glad that I have My tote bag :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions