Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My Video Game Collection: Sega Dreamcast 25th Anniversary!!!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My Video Game Figures & Strategy Guides: My NES Collecti

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am

And because you're talking NES, there's something both frustrating yet strangely comforting and familiar about having to blow the dust out of the cartridge and getting the white glitchy screen and blinking red light.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:05 pm

Nice. I wish I knew where my NES was. I have a feeling my parents tossed it or gave it away at some point and "forgot" to tell me. So many games I forgot about. A Boy and His Bubble, lol. I remember that one. Last Christmas, I gave you my heart, er, I mean, my wife got me this NES Encyclopedia which is cool to flip through and see all the old games.

Nintendo Hockey and Blades of Steel were both fun in different ways. It always killed us as kids that the player who lost the fight got a penalty in Blades of Steel, and the penalty shot graphics were really cool. Rampage was another game I loved from arcade days, even though the NES version didn't have the wolf character.
\up up down down left right left right B A start
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:47 pm

Wow, Pb. I'm literally staring at this exact book right now from across from my living room. I also have the Super Nintendo one and there was a Sega Genesis one on the way but for some reason, it got cancelled. It is a cool book, I like flipping through these and taking a stroll through memory lane.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:04 pm

Nice. I never owned an SNES. I had a Genesis, but nothing will ever compare to the original NES and Ataris 2600 for me. I had so many games for those systems. By the time I got the Genesis, I probably rented more games than I outright bought. They were so expensive by then (at least for that time) that it didn't make sense to pay $30 for a game you might not like or might beat easily and then what? I was so excited for the NES X-men game and I got it for Christmas and it might be the absoulte worst game I ever owned, even worse than ET for the Atari IMO.

Seriously, if you've never played it, this game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

That Nintendo book is fun to flip through and see so many games I forgot or didn't even know existed. At least for people like me that don't still have everything from their childhood, lol.

Spy hunter and Paperboy were two other games I played all the time at the arcade and then loved the NES versions. Punch Out, too. Or Ring King I used to play all the time at Pizza Hut.

It's cool to see all these cartridges, do you still play them, Brandon?

If you have never seen it, search out Teen Titans Go! Video Game References episode. Hilarious.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:36 pm

It was actually way more than $30 from my recollection. I remember games in the catalog running around $120 retail like Streetfighter II. I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 was around $60 retail USD at some point and it stayed there for a while even after SNES dropped. It's actually almost hard to believe that games got "cheaper" as time went on. Game Boy games were slightly more manageable at a cap of roughly $30 USD for new blue chip titles.

I remember that by the time Sony Playstation came out, games costing around $50 to $70 seemed reasonable. You still get XBox titles now for $60 which seem like a lot but it's actually cheaper when you count inflation. Using an inflation calculator, the early new blue chip SNES games would cost $230 USD in todays money. Sony coming out in 1995 meant that games cost on average $110 in todays money.

We'll never recapture the prestige and hype of gaming in the 80s and 90s, not in the same way, but it's crazy we live in an era where you can get a game that knocks the socks off (objectively) many of the older games and they're essentially free or for under $20 in many cases.

I remember when I was 10, I compiled a contract that I had my grandma sign with a list of games and consoles that I wanted if I did well in school. I remember she agreed and then she didn't get me one single item on that list. LOL. What an entitled brat I was. A contract?? Wow. Just wow. And after reviewing the costs, I must have had what was near $10,000 in todays money worth of gaming stuff. I might as well have asked for a Lambo as far as she was concerned.

Funny you hated that X-Men game. I have a buddy that said it was great (he still owns his childhood copy now). I don't actually recall if I ever tried it.

I sold off most of my NES games a few years back. I kept Legend of Zelda, WWF Wrestlemania and WWF Wrestlemania Challenge. Seeing Brandon's collections remind me of how impressive it used to look actually owning a big library of physical games. I regretted it at first but now with all these Mini Consoles, I can relive most of gaming's glory days without the clutter. You ever get into any of those? I have a NES, SNES, SEGA Genesis, Commodore 64 Mini and Atari Flashback, Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback. They come pre-packed with big libraries and adding games to most of these is pretty straight forward.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:48 pm

It wasn't just me, if you look it up X-men is on a lot of people's top 10 worst NES games.
https://www.cracked.com/article_18581_t ... -time.html
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:00 pm

Haha, I dunno, maaan. I agree with some of those on that list but there's definitely some ones on that list that I agree with. Fist of the Northstar was pretty fun. Mighty Bomb Jack and Chubby Cherub were actually pretty fun. Renegade and Legend of Kage were pretty good for their time. M.U.S.C.L.E, though, yeah, that sucked. I played Bad Street Brawler a little while ago but I don't remember how I felt about it. I don't care what anybody says, Bible Adventures is a GREAT game. :smlol: Maybe I'll try X-Men and I'll let you know how I fare with it. lol.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:13 pm

I remember Might Bomb Jack being ok. X-men? No. Maybe if you played with a friend it was awful, but if you played alone (sad) you had a crappy AI companion who always got stuck and you'd have to backup to unstick him and then he died anyway. Nothing about it was fun except the cover art.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:14 am

Gosh, I didn't expect all of these replies and yes Acid, that WAS a reply :o I will reply to both you Acid & PB together here :)

I remember seeing it and stuff but I never played that X-Men game. Cool book PB. Yes, games cost a ton then and no I do not have the mini ones but try to get as much as I can on Virtual Console via Wii U, XBOX 360 & PS4. There is still tons of games that hasn't been re-released or remastered. Instead of making or remaking these current ones I have mentioned before within the topic they should do that instead. I haven't played My older systems in a long time. I have a lot of SNES games as well as Sega Genesis, maybe one day I will showcase them :?:

Oh yes PB, I have played arcade games at Pizza Hut Myself back in the day, maybe one day I'll talk about that :)

Acid, I was hoping My collection would bring back memories and all that. I agree and I had covered the history of LJN CLICK HERE, you probably missed it - it's a 2 parter that you don't wanna miss!! And cool you talked about te WWF games and yes I am very familar with the Game Boy version (HINT) ;)

Well, I think that's it for now. Look for part 2 soon, as you saw in My climax, it's gonna be Gameboy it's gonna be awesome :!:

Later and thanks for the replies guys ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:35 am

Ah, I loved the Pizza Hut by my grandma's house. It was next door to a 7-11 and both were within walking distance. The two games I remember playing the most at a Pizza Hut were Ring King and Yie Ar Kung Fu. Sadly, the 7-11 became a bakery about a decade ago and the Pizza Hut became a dentist's office long before that. Sigh. We should start an arcade game thread. After Burner, Paper Boy. The Museum of Play is in Rochester, NY, about an hour from me. We've taken the kids there several times over the years and they have an old school arcade setup, and a setup old school pinball room. It brings back a lot of memories.
https://www.museumofplay.org/collections/icheg/

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions