Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: JRNY to K-Mart Plaza!!!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: WILLOW 1988!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 pm

Tango X wrote:Love these. Big fan of Willow flick. Crazy I did not even know they made so many of these guys.

Thanks Tango, keep checkin' this topic you might be surprised some more :D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: WILLOW 1988 Update!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 am

Well, I thought i'd show this bonus...the original Willow 1988 VHS Cassette Tape! (IMO it was the most truest and class way to watch movies) Yes, My Grandma got it for Me right away when it first came out :o

SPECIAL BONUS: Willow and Ghostbusters on VHS: I am showcasing both of them because she got both of them at the same time. I had her rent Me GBs countless times from the video stores and she got tired of it so she just bought it for Me along with Willow :!:

OK, wait until you see what is next for My vintage action figure topic, till then I'll see you around :batgrin:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Nice. I've got that one myself.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:41 am

AcidDragon wrote:Nice. I've got that one myself.

OK dude thanks, not sure what one you have though :?
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: E.T. Avon Bubble Ba

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 am

OK, so  I wanted to showcase this before I go any further with My collection, this has always been one of My most cherished items ever. It is My E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Bubble Bath figure from Avon! Now, I haven't used him since I was really, really little. My Mom got him for Me right after the movie came out. As I grew up I kept him safe then he became a collectible display piece for Myself as I had no other figurines of this beloved alien creature being. I have taken many great pics of him in all his glory as well as some bonuses. Though his movie came out years before Willow did, I thought it would be very apropos to show him second in My topic :batsmile:

Here is E.T.

The info on his bottom & back!

The Reveal!

OK, so I am starting a new thing were I will show My background source for somethings that I will showcase. So, E.T.'s background is actually a storybook that My Mom got Me around the same time so I thought that it would be perfect for his display!

That's all for now, I hope you enjoyed this. Comments please and questions if ya got'em. Stay tune for more as I have so much to show you soon ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: SOMA Monster Man!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 am

So, I thought I'd show off one of My most prized and cherished yet some of the most obscure of all of My vintage action figures: Monster Man aka Halloween Monsters made by SOMA! in 1986! During an era when Masters of the Universe was arguably the hottest property (My favorite of all back then) of the decade and because of this many companies that was relatively unknown compared to Mattel would make their own bootleg/knock-off fantasy series' of their own. Well, My favorite of these "other" lines was by SOMA, a smaller company of yesteryear that has since been defunct for decades.

Here is a menagerie sample of the Monster Men!

So, it was about 1986 when I would go to all the great stores with My Grandma during some of the best times during the heyday of "true action figure collecting" ever (I count that 80s - early 2000s). One of My favorite stores we'd go to was Woolworths! They were an American general-merchandise retail business that basically went out of business, rejuvenated and became something else. There was two of them locally and My fave of the 2 was the one further away though the other one was also really nice. They had such variety and options in items of all kinds to groceries to action figures and to this day I remember how their action figure isles looked like I mean they arguably were the best even compared to stores like K-Mart, Venture & Target. Woolworths even had their own "exclusive" toys & action figures and the "Monster Man" figures were among them. There was only six of them within the set and unfortunately they either cancelled the series or just ran it out with that selection. They never had any names whatsoever nor backstories for that matter just a detailed blister card on the front and completely blank on the back besides company & store info (I do not have the cards still) so no additional ideas or thought went into these guys besides their overall designs. I believe these figures were a very limited run because despite that I was very young at the time, I remember seeing them only a couple times at that same Woolworths where there was lots of MOTU and tons of G.I. Joe but these guys were non-existent! However, later on, from 1990 to a short period afterward, Walmart would pick them up apparently for a limited run and label them as "Halloween Monsters" under a completely new blister card with new art yet they are still nameless and still a blank card with the Walmart info. Unlike Woolworths' original run with the series, Walmart got uncreative and just placed them in the Holiday/Halloween section hence their new name. They didn't see them as a cool action figure line but just as a novelty for the spooky time. After this they fell into the void of obscurity, became things of legend in the action figure world and only collector's like a Me would know about them. There only a handful of people on YouTube (if even that) that talk about them and have since become VERY expensive on eBay!

So they are about 5.5" tall or around in that scale. They fit in nicely with the vintage MOTU line and with exceptions, a little fan-fiction and imagination, they could fit in other vintage series' from the 80s & 90s and maybe even lines from the 2000s depending on how your preference is. They are really soft and are made of a rubbery plastic. Their limbs are removable and I suppose you could swap their parts to each other. I believe I did that back in the day as I had tons of fun with them back then. The sculpting and paint is fairly decent, its all cool 80s designs which you can clearly tell they are by first glance! Oh and they followed the 80s & 90s great trend by glowing in the dark! Their quality is top notch. I didn't take care of My vintage MOTU unfortunately hence why I was such a huge collector @ MattyCollector if ya know what I mean but I took care of these strange fellas thank goodness :)

Like I said earlier on, these guys never did have any identities so I have named them and have took some pics of them as well like usual. Here there they!

Muck-O-Man!

Fire-Man!

Tree-Man!

Rock-Man!

Varanian-Man!

Avian-Man!

The Copyright!

Scale with vintage MOTU Prince Adam!

We're All Together Now!

Well there you have it, I hope you have been kinda educated :lol: about these obscurities and everything about them. Questions please if ya got'em! Next up, it be some more monsters but these are more "well known"! Till then see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Imperial Classics!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:25 am

Oh boy, here we go! Here is My collection of the Imperial Classic Monsters by extremely underacted vintage toy company called Imperial! They made tons of creative monsters & creatures of their own plus & inspired kaijus as well which I loved them, however, these classic monsters are some of My most prized vintage figures of all. These guys were released from 1985 to 1986. Most of them all have a great personal story within them. Now, these are all classic movie licenced and back in the US this was really the only way to get these characters in figure form.

One important note, one thing I have always loved about Imperial is their sculpted logo & info on the figures, I have taken pics of them all! I have taken good care of them but unfortunately I do not have their tags, it was foolish of Me back then to remove them but they are still great! So, without further ado here they are!

Godzilla 1985 - Large Version! Oh man, I was so stoked when the new movie came out, I watched it countless times and IMO it's still one of the best if not the greatest Godzilla movie of all time. So, what makes him extremely special for Me is that My Grandpa went on a business trip in Kansas City MO, while there he saw a hobby shop there and in the window he saw this really big Godzilla figure in it and he quickly went in the shop and asked them if it was for sale and sure enough it was and he bought it for Me because he knew I absolutely loved Godzilla! This is one of the most cherished memories I have of My Grandpa (I miss him so much) :( :cry: This Godzilla is about 11" or so inches tall and is of a thick yet soft kind of rubber but not like the classic vinyl Kaiju figures of Japan. He moves at the shoulders & hips as well as a single joint in his tail. I love the detail and sculpting is really nice and is such a great version from the movie!

Godzilla 1985 - Small Version! This one is nearly identical to the much larger one but is only about 5" or so. My Grandma got Me him not to long after My Grandpa got Me the big one. I believe she got Me him either at Ben Franklin's or Ventures.  

King Kong 1933! Yes, the original Kong! His sculpting is great, I always loved how he looked here. I find the sculpting and everything really good. My Grandma got Me him I believe it was at Ben Franklin's (Gosh I loved that store!) and he was such a must for Me!

The UNIVERSAL MONSTERS! Yes! Imperial made the classic Universal Monsters too! I was so surprised when I found them and how I did as well! My Grandparents took Me to Venture as usual (one of My favorite department stores of all that has been gone for decades) and down at the end of the action figure isle there was a bin where loose figures and novelties were and there they were...The Universal Monsters! They only made four of them. All have terrific sculpting and are about 8" tall give or take. They all have the same POA at the neck and shoulders. They also have a ton of info sculpted on their backs. Like I said, these guys were loose in a bin but later on they would be carded.

The Wolfman!

Frankenstein's Monster!

Dracula!

The Mummy!

SPECIAL GALLERY!

Godzilla 1985 vs. King Kong 1933!

Frankenstein meets the Wolfman as the other monsters look on!

Super Group of the Imperial Classic Monsters!

Well, that's all for now, I hope you have enjoyed My Imperial Classic Monsters showcase. Wait until you guys see what I have instore in the coming weeks so more is coming really soon! Till then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 04, 2021 8:10 am

Here we go with My next update. I thought that this would be very apropos that I would showcase My Bog-O-Bones from the short lived Boglins series made by Mattel because I got him around the same time as I did My Imperial Universal Monsters at Venture (previously seen within this great classic/vintage action figure topic).

The series was out about 1987, a terrific time of horror & spooky fantasy when there was a wild need for little monsters & creatures like Gremlins, Trolls, & Ghoulies! The most underrated & scarce of them all IMO were the Boglins! They were under a Halloween sub-line/name/gimmick because they came out around that season and were perfect for it as Halloween was still classic & fun and still really meant something. I absolutely loved them and regret not getting anymore of these guys. These figures were actually hand puppets and worked wonderfully (Mattel would revisit this type of feature with some the awesome Street Sharks in the 90s which I will get to soon enough :o ). He has eye gears & levers inside his head to control their movements and a compartment for his mouth to open and close. Most of his body is of a smooth kind of rubber but his eyes are plastic. Thank goodness I took care of My BOG-O-BONES as he is well over thirty years old! I played with him so much when I was young and still did even when I got older and I am happy to admit, to this day I continue to do so from time to time just not as playful mind you! I loved how they came in this cool and scary looking box as you can tell what kind of time they are from which was obviously full of horrific grandeur :batsmile:

Here is his nice and hilarious yet taking itself seriously bio card on the box ;)

Instructions for the kids on the back of the bio card. :)

Examples of his box. Please note that I have misplaced his black bars to keep him secure. I loved the artwork that Mattel used in the 80s & 90s. It shows the rest of the series of the main Boglins as well as smaller ones to collect. Another aspect that I really love is the scientific way & story of explaining them as a species (hopefully this made some kids back in the day wonder about mysterious creatures and want to study known ones :idea: ).

Oh no, BOGGY has escaped :!:

What? Peter Venkman of The Real Ghostbusters is scared stiff of BOG-O-BONES :o

So there you have it, My Boggy from one of the most obscure series' by Mattel (if not by any company for that matter) The Boglins! I have much more vintage goodness from the 80s yet to be seen and some will really be surprising! Next update coming soon...until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm

Awesome. I saw they're reissuing the classic Boglin line. I've never seen the Bog O Bones one!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Awesome. I saw they're reissuing the classic Boglin line. I've never seen the Bog O Bones one!

Isn't that cool :?: I took em' long enough :lol: Thanks a lot Acid :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions