Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Packerbacker Customs A Fatal 4 Pack pg. 85

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Packerbacker Customs Kate Spencer, Manhunter! pg. 34

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 am

Ken Davis started a topic about grail figures we want. Sure, I'd like to regain some of my toys from my childhood, but they aren't things I can't live without. And I only collect a limited number of current lines, and for those, I really have all the figures I consider must have. Yes, I'd like to get Lobo or the Legion boxset, but they aren't absolute necessities for me. So grail figures for me are more along the lines of customs I have to get done. When DCUC/DCIE ceased to exist I set out with a small list of challenging but absolute must haves for my collection that I needed to figure out how to get done. Some might've been challenging paint apps (Ragdoll), or difficult because they needed the perfect fodder pieces (Scandal Savage's Lamentation Blades), or just the challenge of sculpting a giant freaking shark head (I'm a shark, I'm a shark...).

So my custom grails list was pretty much completing the Secret Six (Scandal, Jeannette, King Shark, and Ragdoll), and this lovely lady. For some reason I'm almost always more interested in the lower tier characters. Sure, I can enjoy Scott Snyder's Batman run, but at the same time, I'd rather read the Secret Six, Guardians of the Galaxy (Abnett/Lanning run before Bendis made them Space Avengers) and Kate Spencer here. Tired of seeing murderers go free, federal prosecutor Kate Spencer stole equipment from the evidence room and went after Copperhead after he escaped custody. After that she took on such characters as Shadow Thief, Doctor Psycho, and Phobia. She also joined the Birds of Prey for a while, and was also seen amongst the JSA just before Flashpoint sucked most of the joy out of the DCU. So Kate was kind of cross between Daredevil and the Punisher. They complain there aren't enough strong, female lead characters in comics, but how kickass is that? Of course it didn't hurt that she was a character steeped in DC legacy
Spoiler:
(her grandparents were Iron Munro and Phantom Lady, but she'd originally thought Al Pratt was her grandfather, which would make her a cousin of Jack Knight--read the book!)

So, anyway, if I'm rambling on it's because I really do love the character, and if you can't tell, I really love this custom. She might look fairly simple but she had two sticking points that made her a challenge. The first was the silver piping on her custom. Oh sure, I could've just meticulously painted silver lines on her but that would've been a disservice to the character. But I had a decent plan of attack on that with gauge wire. The first source didn't work out well, but then I found Fun Wire at the store which was just wire covered in plastic, and the plastic covering adhered much easier than metal. Still, it was a painstaking effort to apply inch by inch in the proper shapes. But the main challenge were those gauntlets. Oh, how I searched for something that might work. I had resigned myself to maybe sculpting them until I found a DC Collectibles Huntress that looked promising. It took some mods to fit them on, but I think they work perfect. Besides that she's completely Star Sapphire Wonder Woman (I decided the slightly bulkier frame and design of the torso would work better with the silver piping). Some armor pieces from a couple Funk Magic Chandra Nalaar (god bless Target clearance!) helped complete the armor, along with the hair from an ML Spider-girl figure (I swapped the ponytail for a shorter one from a WWE Rob Van Dam figure), and viola!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Packerbacker Customs Kate Spencer: Manhunter pg. 34

Postby Idiot Savant » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:31 pm

That is nothing short of killer!!! Well done
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby Webslinger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Excellent!!!
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:12 am

Thanks, guys. Sometimes when I'm really happy with a custom I share it on twitter. Sometimes I even share a link with their creators. Sometimes I even get a response. Marc Andreyko, Kate's creator, just responded with "that is AWESOME!" on twitter. How cool is that to think he saw her and liked her enough to respond!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:35 am

That's amazing that they do that, for them to take the time to comment on your work is truly the best compliment one could get.
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby HectorHall » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:36 am

Well, if her creator already told you she looks awesome, then I will not even bother telling you what a great job you did with the piping and the overall accuracy that is simply jaw dropping.....Not even gonna waste my time
HectorHall
League Initiate
League Initiate

Postby Doctor Fate » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:38 am

Magnificant Packerbacker! :)
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Huzzah! Thanks, guys. She's probably my favorite custom because all the ideas were my own since there aren't too many Kate customs out there I'
ve seen.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Doctor Fate » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Your Welcome PB!
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Wow... she looks out-freaking-standing!
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs