Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 03, 2024 6:27 am

Yes, in the very beginning Tony Schiavone says "The Big Truck Diver" & Heenan says "I smell Fuel Oil". It wasn't the best gimmick I mean it was rather a simple gimmick. My prob with him was he looked too much like Krusher Khrushchev especially wearing red, at least Repo Man looked nothing like Smash :)

That was an excellent Austin Idol promo there. His feud with Lawler was something and that was a major burn he had there :shock:

Okay, so here's this Blacktop Bully special :)

Here's part of the King of the Road Match...I just loved this when it was part of WCW uncensored 95, such a very fun time :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 03, 2024 7:37 pm

Man, they were just throwing anything at the wall back then.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 04, 2024 5:19 am

Oh yes, WCW was trying more then ECW. WWF was still behind on stuff like that. I know these times still get's bad wraps but for Me back then and still even know...it was real good fun times :)

That was a very good promo by Ethan Page there, since he was in that environment, seemed more real not part of a show.

Okay, now before I move on, here's this recent interview with Barry Darsow explaining some important stuff :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 04, 2024 4:58 pm

KInd of a lame reason, though I kind of disagree and don't think the character would've gone far. Maybe I'm wrong, WCW was kind of bad back then, so maybe he could've gotten high up the card before the nWo era.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun May 05, 2024 5:13 am

Yes, I thought it was a lame reason as well. Yeah, with the nWo it took so much time away from & held back other wrestlers who could have shined :roll:

That Thanksgiving Freebirds promo was a great one. See what I mean...Hayes says about jack...that didn't catch on till Hogan starting saying it years later :shock:

Okay, maybe the Blacktop Bully would or wouldn't have gone far if things were different...we'll never know :roll: However, Barry Darsow returned to WCW in 97 as himself and looked like a regular big man wearing red with nothing fancy about him. There's a bit to get to about him...so get ready for some good stuff :) Here he is facing off against the 6 foot 10, 400 pound Roadblock :!: Huh, that sounded like something Jack Burton would say :shock: :lol:

Now Barry Darsow had another gimmick change in 1998. He is now as "Hole in One" Darsow :o Here he is with a promo against a jobber named Brett Hamner. For a long time I've been thinking and saying that I've seen many jobbers that looked better 20/30 years ago than today's talent. Hamner only wrestled a handful of matches in WCW & ECW then just disappeared :shock: This is pretty good.

Remember the Barry Horowitz & Johnny Swinger stuff in your TNA Results Topic PB :?: Well check out these next two videos :shock:

Here he is against Lodi whom was part of Raven's Flock :!:

Here is "Hole in One" Darsow against "Mean" Mike Enos whom was part of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew & Destruction Crew in the AWA and Blake Beverly in the WWF :!:

Tomorrow I'll show what was next for Barry Darsow in WCW :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun May 05, 2024 11:44 am

Yikes, not the best gimmicks, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon May 06, 2024 7:37 am

That was a good Pope promo, How about that Hall & 6-Pac was there too :shock: Shame he never went farther than what he did, for a while there I thought he was going places.

Okay, now here's what was next for Barry Darsow. It all happens here in 99, 25 years ago this year. He tags with the late great "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton against Booker T. & Stevie Ray of the Harlem Heat...after the climax Heat hits Darsow in the head with the Tag Belts hard :!:

So after that hard hit, he took on a Amnesia Gimmick :shock: He doesn't know nor remembers who he is except that he is Krusher Khrushchev :o Mike Tenay & Scott Hudson do the commentary well here. His opponent is Al Green who was Blade of the Blaster Masters :!:

Now he's back as "Hole in One" Darsow against Villano V :!:

Now he's back as The Blacktop Bully :shock: Tenay says he hasn't been right since Harlem Heat hit him and Hudson says he hasn't been right since his King of the Road Match back in 95 and Darsow thinks it was last night :o

So Darsow's Amnesia gimmick lasted a while. I thought it was cool as a different spin on something similar like The 3-Faces of Foley. So after WWF took WCW over in 2001, Darsow was The Repo Man in the Gimmick Battle Royal as you saw a while back. Well, he would be in a gimmick Battle Royal on a Monday Night Raw soon after...this was the last time he was The Repo Man and also this was his last appearance ever on WWF/WWE TV :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:41 pm

Interesting idea, too bad Darsow was kind of past his prime by then. I liked Pope in TNA. He was doing ok in the NWA last I saw.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 am

Yes it was. Oh, that's good for The Pope, I haven't seen him since his time in TNA :) That was a really good promo there by Tyrus & Cyon, the set up is very reminiscent of the NWA days of old :)

Okay, that just about does it for Barry Darsow. You know pretty much all the important stuff and how he was thru the years and that he & Dustin Rhodes got fired from WCW but what did Dustin do in 95 after he got fired from WCW :?: Well, he went to the WWF to become a major star. He would have a gimmick that was edgy, risky and that would truly start the times of change in wrestling. He became Goldust, a very androgynous movie star gimmick that was never seen before in wrestling. When I first saw him in this debut vignette promo I'm about to show, I was like who is this guy...then I was watching his movements, trying to see his face thru the face-paint and hearing his voice and then I'm like holy crap, that's Dustin Rhodes :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue May 07, 2024 8:21 pm

I never knew of Dustin Rhodes pre-Goldust. Just never really saw WCW back before that, so I didn't really know much about him.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc