Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Movies (Recommended Viewing)

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Movies (Recommended Viewing)

Postby Caleb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am

What the heck? We've got one for music. Next up is TV!

Anyway, the thread's in the title. Seen a movie lately that you loved? Seen one you hated? Watched something that scared the beejesus out of you? Rented / Netflixed something you think everyone needs to see? Want to save us $1.20 on Redbox by telling us NOT to rent that crummy looking snake movie? Or just want to wax on about what movies you think are the best / worst / most overrated / most underrated / sexiest of all time? Gone to a repertory showing / festival you're psyched out of your mind about? Fire away, folks!

We've got a DC Film / TV thread, so let's try to keep the debates about (spoilers) Superman going all Super-Killer at the end of Man of Steel on that thread. But, hey, if you just loooooooved Swamp-Thing and want the world to know, this is the place!
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Movies

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, saw Star Trek Into Darkness a few weeks ago for the first time at the cheapy theatre and it did not disappoint! A lot of people said it was very dark in tone compared to other Star Trek media but I didn't find that at all. I mean it was dark but no more so than any other Star Trek stuff I've seen in the past that was intentionally dark in tone but perhaps I'm remembering the other Star Treks incorrectly. It's been a while.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 pm

TCM's doing a killer History of Film theme this month, so I'm catching up on some of the really major stuff I haven't seen yet - The Passion of Joan of Arc, Battleship Potemkin, stuff like that. They have the monthly schedule online, check it out.

Besides for that, there's another Hudson Horror Show coming up November 16th! Five films, all 35mm, four announced: Horror Express, Invasion of the Bee Girls, and John Carpenter's The Thing and Escape from New York!
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm always watching TCM. I love the stuff on that channel, especially the black and whites. I've got such an appreciation for that now. I mean I watched it as a child as well but now I get a special feeling when watching those films. There's a lot of great ones. Over the last few years, I've also been getting back into classic horrors and have since purchased a great deal of Sideshow Collectibles like Lon Chaney, Jr.'s Wolfman, Lon Chaney, Sr.'s Phantom of the Opera and London After Midnight Killer, a few Frankenstein's Monsters and Boris Karloff's Mummy, Bela Lugosi's Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Great stuff. I wish they did toys based on more than just movie monsters, though. Sideshow, that is.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeah, I'd go crazy for some old kung fu or samurai movie toys. Not that I don't appreciate how many great Universal Monsters toys we've gotten in the past few years, to say nothing of Amok Time's awesome 50s horror and sci-fi stuff (still hoping on Manos figures!).
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Bo-rilla Grodd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:42 am

lmao Manos figures?!?! I hope you are talking about 'hands of fate' Manos. If so, just imagine the nightmare of trying to stand the Torgo figure.

I recently got to 3 movies that Ive been really waiting to see: Razorback, Gatorbait, and 3 on a meathook. Solid exploitation trash. Im excited.
"He Got What He Came to Him"
Bo-rilla Grodd
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Aw man, TCM is great. I got into that channel way back when they were running a bunch of Cagney films, and I still DVR from it constantly. Potemkin's a pretty damn good one, I think. Especially the Odessa Steps scene, which De Palma ripped almost directly into The Untouchables, albeit with a lot more blood and a better use of sound. The only problem I have with TCM is that they run a ton of stuff that I have trouble finding on video - I'd been looking for The Roaring Twenties for a few months before they tossed it out in a 4-pack.

As for recent stuff, I finally saw World War Z. Man, was I disappointed.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 am

Yeah, I love watching TCM. Just when I think I forgot about a film, they air it on there. Watched Mutiny on the Bounty recently. BOOK is another great channel that used to air the Untouchables TV series starring Robert Stack. Great great show.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby secondwhiteline » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah, I hear that about TCM - I wish they'd make a note before showing a movie that's not widely available. I was lucky enough to find a file for Last Summer online, but it doesn't even seem like the bootleg sites are putting that one out. Totally overlooked late 60s reckless youth film (closer to something like Crazed Fruit than the juvenile delinquent flicks of the 50s).
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Caleb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

To be fair, TCM does make a pretty good attempt to get the movies they run out on video, it's just that a lot of stores don't carry them, and Amazon sells through those cheap-o four-packs pretty quickly. If you can find them at Wally, the -packs are $9.88 or so, which is a pretty good price for a smattering of older, hard-to-find flicks. Considering that I was pretty close to paying $30 for The Roaring Twenties? I'm glad I waited.

Anyone seen or heard of a movie called The Iceman? Jesus. The interviews with the real Richard Kuklinski are some pretty disturbing stuff, but that movie was no slouch. I think I can forgive Michael Shannon for Man of Steel now. Good lord, that man deserves an Oscar.

I also watched Rapturepalooza, which everyone is strongly encouraged to avoid at all costs.
Caleb
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions