Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:27 am

All the Right Moves is good.

I recently found out that James Earl Jones has died at the age of 93...what a legend that was lost :roll: There's many movies I know he was in but the first one that came to ind is The Ambulance that also stars Eric Roberts :blbat:

The movie came out in 1990. Jones plays a real good cop. Here's the trailer :)

The music is pretty good by Jay Chattaway. My Grandma liked him. He did Silver Bullet and many Star Trek TV episodes :)

Becuase of Jones, I'm going to start with the Conan the Barbarian movies tomorrow :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:20 pm

I don't think I've ever seen that movie or even knew about it. But there is no Darth Vader without Jones. And he's been in some of the best baseball movies ever made. It's sadly ironic, but yesterday I had mentioned Coming to America, but I had already posted All the Right Moves so I was going to do Coming to America today, so here it is...

RIP

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:35 am

I do think The Ambulance is a bit obscure. Yes, so true. Coming to America was cool and seeing that trailer sure makes Me miss the 80s with all that going on especially hearing that music, gosh that was good :)

So here comes a series of spotlights from Me as I'm finally going to spotlight The Conan the Barbarian franchise. Their all great movies but there's only 3 of 'em. It's 1982's Conan the Barbarian, 1984's Conan the Destroyer and the 2011 reboot film however there is also one that is unofficial that I've always placed in the same classic universe and that is 1985's Red Sonja. So first I'm going to spotlight the first Conan that is based on the great comics. Now follow Me closely especially when I get to the music, all of these said films has some of the best musical scores ever heard so get ready ;)

The movie stars Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sandahl Bergman. Now there is no need for Me to explain Arnold. I've explained how I get into him, that he was a big hero and all that before but Bergman I must talk about...

because even though I talked about her when I spotlighted Hell Comes to Frog Town a while back, there was some things that I didn't say. First, she was really Hollywood's first woman total package as she just isn't an actress but she is her own stunt woman so everything you see her do like sword wielding & fighting on screen, that's really her doing it. When I was a youngster I adored her as I love a woman who does it all :)

She looked so darn gorgeous yet very neat in her scenes and there's been very few women in movies that has her essence that I felt I mean very few.

Of course today hardly anybody ever talks about her despite she was such a pioneer for today's actresses that wants to do their own stunts and I really dislike how society disregards so much of the past :roll:

She was truly an 80s babe and fit so much in the Conan movie :)

Now the film is very violent & emotional. I saw it at a very early age. Its a very dark, gritty, sexual, bloody film but I like it like that. It also stars James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom :!: This is why I'm posting this now because of his passing which I should have spotlighted this a long time ago but I didn't :roll: Also the great actors Mako & Max Van Sydow are also in important roles. Now the music is one of the best things about the film, they play the score in the trailer when they used to do that which I will have two very awesome Cues to play in a moment :)

Okay, now here's these iconic scenes of James Earl Jones. See the big guy on the right :?: Recently I talked about him when i posted the Jesse "The Body" Ventura movie Abraxas...that's Sven Ole Thornsen. He's Swedish and was Arnold's stunt double and was a character in most of Arnold's films which I've known him as long as I have Arnold and that's a long time :shock:

Now here's the scene when Doom shape-shifts into "The Serpent"...the 80s was when the "reptile" was really being pushed into everything and it still remains that way to this day :!:

Okay, now get ready for a treat because Conan the Barbarian is known for it's tremendous movie score. It's by the late great Basil Poledouris (RoboCop). This was his first big score and boy what a big one. Surely everybody on this board has heard this besides the theme "The Anvil of Crom" in the trailer above :?: This cue includes dialog from Mako :)

Now this here, Riddle of Steel/Rider's of Doom is one of My all-time fave Cues/Tracks of ever of all-time from any score. I've listen to this countless times over the decades. This along with the Cue I provided above is on My special Arnold CD that I showcased last year in My Odds & Ends. This tracks is so sweet sounding then at 2:05 it get's action packed with an outstanding choir then at 3:34 it get's extraordinary as the choir really get's into it and it continues. If you've never heard this before then make sure you do now because you'll be listening to this over & over again as it's so fantastic :)

So that will do it for this one, tomorrow I spotlight the sequel, Conan the Destroyer :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:11 pm

James Earl Jones with long hair is still pretty wild to me after all these years, lol. It just looks so odd on him. I should save this for next month, but nah...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:21 am

Actually Terrorgram is one of the few movies I haven't seen that came out in 1990 I mean that year rocked on so many levels.

I liked how Jones looked like that, it's very unique. There's so much to talk about these movies, I could talk all day about them in many categories especially the music. Next up is 1984's Conan the Destroyer as it has it's 40th Anniversary as I type this :!: This one is personal fave because I watched this countless with My Grandpa as he recorded it on HBO, this was part of a lineup We had together as We'd watch this, the first two Alien films, Legend & The Unnamable...We watched those countless times together in the dark :shock:

So first, here's an illustration from one of the Conan the Cimmerian Comics by Robert E. Howard :!:

So Arnold & Mako return as Conan and Akiro the Wizard with new cast members which is Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain, Olivia D'Abo and Tracey Walter. I knew Walter in this movie before I knew him as Bob the Goon in Batman 89 :shock:

Grace Jones is a warrior woman named Zula. She becomes allied with Conan and his friends. She is quite unparalleled.

Now the villainess of the movie is Queen Taramis played by the great looking Sarah Douglas from Superman II. I love her accent and she is one heck of a queen :blww:

Conan has his way of getting the women :batwink:

Now the movie is actually rated PG-13. The movie isn't as graphic as the first, still it is violent and has parts in it that will make you cringe. Here's the iconic trailer :!:

So, here's a quote from Me from last year in Packer's Monster of the Day Topic. I thought it was very apropos to include this :blbat:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:So now here's Mine. I've talked about this off & on in the your Movie Trailers Topic PB but never spotlighted it yet but I'd like to soon. Well count this as a hint of it, I've talked many times of how Me & My Grandpa would watch movies at night and many of them were spooky. Well one of them was Conan the Destroyer, he loved the music by Basil Poledouris a lot and We watched it tons of good times together...in the dark :)

I've never considered it a film for Halloween or anything like that but there's two monsters in it that I have always liked for a few reasons and really I never considered this film to be PG-13 because there is a lot of violence and killing in it. First here's Wizard Thoth-Amon. He's played by legendary British wrestler Pat Roach. He plays a Man- Beast as well. You'll notice that this Beast is using wrestling moves and even a Canadian Backbreaker. I have always loved hoe looked and sounded. This is so great here :blbat:

As a bonus, here's Pat Roach if you don't know him. He was a great tough guy wrestler. He was in all 3 Indiana Jones, he also was in Red Sonja and he was also an unofficial James Bond character too but My absolute favorite role of his was his totally awesome General Kael in Willow, he was so much like a medieval Darth Vader :blsm:

Now the second monster is the God Dagoth. I love this creature, it was designed so differently and he was huge but who could play such a big monster :?: Well they chose Andre the Giant to fill the suit & role :blaq:

Here's a bonus picture of Andre on the set in 1984 with co-stars Arnold & Wilt the Stilt. Look at the size of those guys, Arnold looks little compared to them :shock:

Now to finish this off, here's three great musical cues by the return of the late great Basil Poledouris. I hope you listened to the great Cues that I provided for the first movie. Me & My Grandpa talked so much about this back in the day. The following two tracks are on My Arnold CD. Here's Main Title/Riders of Taramis. I remember when We'd watch the movie together My Grandpa PoPo would say listen to that music Brandon. He would never, ever tune out music from a film. I learned not to do that and that's one of the reasons why I am about movie music. I thought the main title was awesome and really this IS THE TRACK that I truly noticed Basil Poledouris :)

Now this one is of the scene you just saw in the Crystal Palace. This is one of the most memorable scenes I think about with My Grandpa, when I hear this I think of him because I'd be right next to him and I'd see that man-beast, it was such a fantastic scene and this music made it so spectacular :)

Now this Cue wasn't featured on My Arnold CD. This is the epic ceremony of Dagoth and it's the film version :!:

Well, I hope you liked that. Tomorrow, I will spotlight Red Sonja which is not a Conan film but it's similar and it was also by Robert E. Howard :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:07 pm

I haven't watched the Conan movies probably since the 80s, and I was really too young to follow them. He-Man was originally going to be a Conan line based on the films but after Mattel saw how dark and violent they were they had to pivot and create something similar. Of course, that didn't stop Coleco from making Rambo figures, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:33 am

Happy Friday the 13th :blbat: :blww: :blsm: Shame, that's way too long not to to watch them. Yes, I watched them when I was a youngster of course but yes, I didn't follow everything. When I got older I followed them much better...heck even like 15, 20 years later after I've watched a film l'm like gosh, I didn't catch that or notice that before. Amazing how that happens. Yes, you be correct about the He-Man scenario. Really since the Matty Collector days, I wanted a violent MOTU film but they've wasted so much not making any version then the dreaded & violent Netflix one came out and the rest is history :roll:

I'm surprised you posted My Science Project, don't forget that I made a major spotlight about it because it's one of My most cherished films and really in My Top 10 fave films of ever of all-time. I bet I've seen it more times than Big Trouble in Little China & Ghostbusters. The link is here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post48556.html?hilit=My%20Science%20Project#p48556. If you still haven't seen then gosh PB, it's a must, you'll be like why didn't I see this decades ago :shock:

Okay so next is 1985's Red Sonja, also by Robert E. Howard...

Remember when I posted Cobra & Rocky IV and I was saying I knew Brigitte Nielsen from Red Sonja before them :?: Well this is it :wwsmile:

I thought she was so good. A tall, great looking redhead female warrior :)

Arnold isn't Conan here, he's Kalidor :!:

They have great chemistry together :smgrin: :wwgrin:

Their joined in their journey by the late great Paul L. Smith as Falkon and a very young Ernie Reyes Jr. as Prince Tarn.

They must face Ikol played by the late great Ronald Lacey of Raiders of the Lost Ark...

Brytag is played by the late great wrestler Pat Roach who I posted in Conan the Destroyer yesterday...

and the sadistic Queen Gedren played Sandahl Bergman who was Conan's love in the first movie :batshock:

When I was a youngster, I thought she was so beautiful and was one of My fave women I ever seen. I look at her now and I still see such uncanny beauty and the way she is in the film is so fantastic :)

Now this is very interesting, probably very few people know this. The scene in Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire where the ginormous Titan is seen in Hollow Earth was inspired by this scene in Red Sonja and I find that outstanding :o :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

At such an early age, this movie along with the She-Ra cartoon made Me look at women that their sacred and shouldn't be hurt. I believe this is My origins of the way I think of women as I type this :batwink: :smwink: Here's the trailer :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
Here's one of My most cherished of all My movie scores...Original Soundtracks: Arnold. This is a great compilation. I briefly presented this before when I showcased Peaches/Sound Warehouse/Blockbuster Video Music. I recall it like yesterday when I was with My Mom there and she got Me this :) I listened to this so much over the years :)

Now as you just saw on My Arnold CD, the only way you could get the Red Sonja music at the time (without getting a promo or a bootleg) was on that CD :shock: The theme is by the late legend Ennio Morricone who My Grandpa knew so much about and loved his music. I was so thrilled when My Mom got Me that CD because i wanted Red Sonja, Conan & Total Recall (I already had T2). Gosh My Grandpa PoPo loved this too :)

Next will be the final one, that's the reboot of Conan the Barbarian that came out in 2011...see that tomorrow :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:43 am

You know, we've gone through so many obscure trailers I sometimes forget what's been posted now, lol. I just did a search on forgotten 80s movies and that was on the list and I was like, oh, that's interesting. I do recall that write up now. I'm sure come Halloween I might repeat a few films. Sometimes even for the Zen topic I come across a clip and I can't recall if I just watched on YT previously or if I actually posted it. After so many posts in each thread it gets harder to keep track, lol.

It's a shame with He-Man. It really shouldn't be hard to make a live action version of that. I know you like the 80s one but I was immensely disappointed by what could've been. Maybe when people I finally burnt out on superheroes we can get some good fantasy films again. I never was really into Conan. I remember seeing parts of Red Sonja but I would've been 8 or 9 and didn't really know much about Conan or Red Sonja so they never really resonated with me. I got my barbarian fix from He-Man and Thundarr. Now Thundarr would be another great live action idea that's ripe for the picking. By Khrommm, we need a live action Ookla the Mok!

People did mashups of other films and made these, not sure if I shared the first one before. I know I've watched it, just not sure if I shared it...

Chris Hemsworth as Thundarr?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:42 am

OK, first things first. put the My Science Project movie on a list of some kind or in your data banks and think that "hey, this is Brandon's fave film". I did that with you about Casablanca & Clue Packer so I'd appreciate that ;) I'm always talking about My Science Project here and there to remind others plus because it's such a great movie. Believe Me, if you give it a chance, you'll really like it :)

Oh yes, I love those mashups. Remember I posted a lot of those that were Star Wars & Star Trek. That second one was actually an A.I. film. There's a ton of them like that on YT that depicts all kinds of movies from the 80s and beyond in to make it a story in the 50s.

Oh, don't think I don't have My little gripes of the 80s MOTU film becausec I do. My first big one is...where is Prince Adam or does he even exist :roll: They waste so much time with the choices make of the movies & programs of what they really could be doing :x

Okay, now here's the final Conan film. First you gotta know this be because I'm sure you don't know this. Remember Rose McGowan from Scream 1 in 1996 :?:

Well, she was slated to play Red Sonja in a reboot in 2009 :batshock: :smgasp:

However, things changed. As ussual with excuses of script changes, probs with production and so forth and because of this they cancelled the fim and it will foerver be in Develeopment Hell :wwsmh: So this was going to lead with a crossever with Conan as he was going to be at the end of the film for a holy sh!t moment but now we'll never know how that would have been :o So what did they do :?: They scrapped Red Sonja and reboot Conan instead :x So, with all of that being said, here is the reboot that came out in the tone down year of 2011. I saw this at the show because it was a must despite what I just said. Who plays Conan :?: It's Jason Momoa :shock:

I was like who is this guy :? While he is no Arnold, I feel he had a more of a realsitic appearnace.

Rachel Nichols plays his love interst Tamara. She's good but she sure lacked what Sandahl Bergman had.

Vetern bad guy actor Stephen Lang plays the viallian Khalar Zym. His play duaghter is a Marique the Witch. While they skipped Red Sonja, Rose McGowan got to be in this film :shock:

Ron Rearlman plays Corin.

Ultimate fighter Bob Sapp plays Ukfa.

Now as I always say about 2011 being the tone down year. I pay attention to years and how they differ to others. In 2001 I noticed films being so faced paced and edited very cut & paste and childish and PG I mean in 2004 they made AVP PG-13...it's like what the heck :? Then in 2005 I started noticing movies becoming bolder, more violent and so on. It was almost like the 80s made an unannounced comeback. I was exciteed about how movies were then especially in 2010 then 2011 started, I noticed so much like a big bang of social media as people became more interested typing 1 thing and phubbing pepole in person and movies being really toned down with less violence and overdone CGI in everything. This developed into the era where we are now and it appears it ain't going to stop. So with that being said, when I saw this at the show I had mixed emotions because there was so many moments in there that seemed so less violent compared to the previous 80s movies I posted. Here's the trailer.

Now one factor that I was concered about was the music. The score is by Tyler Bates of 9 Inch Nails who did many great scores such as the first 300 movie. While the music is not classic like Poledouris & Morricone, Bates did nor fail here...listen to this music :)

Now, they were still thinking of bringing back Red Sonja with a different actress and the first one the companies wanted was Megan Fox :o

That fell through and they never revist Red Sonja again and Conan the Barbarian has been in limbo ever since :roll: So that will do it for the Conan movies. We shall see what is next :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:56 am

Well I'm sure not going to forget it now! I was just in a hurry, I didn't even rewatch the trailer when I posted it. I just saw it near the top of the list of Forgotten 80s Fantasy movies so I went with it. You'll be happy to know it was ranked pretty high there!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions