Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:36 pm

Those backstage APA segments were a highlight each week. I remember the Truth Commission a little but they weren't around long for me. It's weird seeing such a young Don Callis, I remember him more as Cyrus the Virus over in ECW. Good times. Love or hate him, he's pretty good at getting people to boo him.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:30 am

That was a very good promo by Ron Simmons & Too Cold Scorpio in ECW. Amazing not too long before this they were together in WCW, in fact that's how Scorpio made his debut as it was with Simmons :shock:

His time as Cyrus the Virus was very memorable. Oh yes, they were. I showed the Truth Commission before. I really thought they were neat. Like so many others, they didn't last long. The Commandant was there just a while and then Don Callis/The Jackyl was suddenly their manager by time the WWF Survivor Series 97 happen. The group actually started in the USWA first which again was a training ground.

Here's this match of The Truth Commission from June of 97 on Shotgun Saturday Night, gosh I miss that show. This is one of their first as you see Kurggan The Interrogator & Buchanan the Recon and the 400 pound Tank whom is actually the late great Mantaur )he would soon be replaced by Poirier the Recon). Their entrance was awesome. If you don't know, their gimmick is a paramilitary group from South Africa which a take on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission during the crisis there. Their march & uniforms is pretty authentic. The Commandant has a great promo here. Now one important thing to look out for here is the three jobbers they go up against, keep your eye on Terry Richards...why :? Because this is actually Rhino from ECW before he became that beast...you can clearly tell it's him just by his body shape alone :shock:

Because I'm finalizing Bradshaw/JBL in the Themes Topic, here's The Truth Commission's theme & tron :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:27 pm

Wow, a young Nick Dinsmore. There's no way they could do that Eugene gimmick these days. Not with this society of the easily offended keyboard warriors.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:35 am

Huh, about that, you knew about Nick Dinsmore and how he began...I thought you'd be more surprised about Rhino :shock: Well that's good Packer ;) I know, people are so redicules :roll:

Eugene wasn't the only "special" wrestler in wrestling. In WCW in 1994, The Equalizer became David Sullivan as it was revealed he was the late great Kevin Sullivan's big but younger brother. He was simple minded and dyslexic as he was known as evaD Sullivan. Well, he was at odds with Kevin because David wanted to become a "Hulkamaniac" :shock: Here's this promo with Hogan, Jimmy Hart & Big Brother. The was before Big Brother became The Butcher and the Three Faces of Fear were formed in 94. Watch this :)

Here's this match with evaD Sullivan :shock:

Here's this nice workout video of evaD in 95 with short hair now :)

Now, remember when you posted about DDP a while back and I saying about how he was slowly climbing the ladder of success :?: Well, this was part it and one of his feuds was with evaD Sullivan and Dave had Ralph the Bunny Rabbit too :o

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th, I'm going to see about posting a special :blbat: :blsm:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:56 pm

I've heard of Dave Sullivan but never knew he did a gimmick like that. Imagine someone trying that today, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:48 am

Yes, when I think of Eugene, I think of Dave Sullivan because he came first. Amazing how Nigel looks, finally coming out of retirement...if Bryan & Adam can suddenly come out of retirement, why can't Nigel :?: If was the head, I would make this the main event because they had a great memorable feud in the original ROH back in the day.

Happy Friday the 13th :blbat: :blww: :blsm: Okay, today is Friday the 13th, get ready for this one. You probably don't know about this Packer so get ready for a treat :) In the CWA Memphis down south, there was two monsters there...The Master of Pain and The Soultaker :? This was none other than "Mean" Mark Callous who would become The Undertaker in the WWF in 1990 and Charles Wright who would become Papa Shango in the WWF in 1992. Both guys fought each other for years in the WWF. This promo was in 1989...35 years ago this year :shock: This was their first big times in wrestling before their WWF heyday. Look at the height of them as The Soultaker is 6'8 and Master of Pain is 6'10...watch the video :blbat: :blsm:

So, you know most about The Undertaker's history & some of Papa Shango but really don't know much about the days after that in between his time there before he was part of The Nation of Domination as Kama Mustafa the Godfather as you said to Me before PB. So after mid/late 1993, Papa Shango left the WWF & USWA and wrestled on the Indie scene then with a very brief hiatus. Then in very late 1994 there was vignettes of this new wrestler being hyped up. His name is Kama and he is an ultimate fighter that was banned from competing all over. I was like holy crap...look who that is :shock: I love his name Kama...Kamas are Japanese weapons :shock: In his debut I remember Jim Cornette when he was a commentator on the 1/23/95 edition of Monday Night Raw because I watched it so many times saying that Kama makes "Chuck Norris look like a Choir Boy and makes Jean-Claude Van Damme look like a Boy Scout, he's trained he body to be a total weapon". While I never saw him as good as them, I really liked his character as he was right up My alley being a fighter. Here's one of Kama: The Supreme Fighting Machine's vignettes, listen to what he says and what what he does as his ride his bike & fights :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:11 pm

He was well into being in the Nation by the time I got around. Wild seeing Taker like that. He sounds more like SCSA with his cadence, lol. I guess that's because they're both Texans. I only vaguely recall Papa Shango.

Since Friday the 13th is bad luck...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:41 am

I was really surprised when he came back as Kama with The NOD in 97 but he didn't have the same impact overall with Me. Now it's a bit different with Me...even though I've known the Undertaker since his debut, when I see him like that it doesn't seem strange because I knew him then but when I saw him as The Undertaker it was quite surprising because it was like holy crap..that's Mean Mark..Me & Grandparents all freaked out about that :o In time you'll see more of Papa Shango, don't forget I showed him last year for Halloween when he feuded with The Ultimate Warrior in 92 :blbat: :blsm: Hah, nice one with Bad Luck Fale :!:

Okay, here's one more with Rhonda Shear when she did the big USA Up All Night-WWF Crossover in 92. This one is she is with Earthquake when he was a babyface and was kinda solo without Typhoon. This is a great one and My fave of her interviews. She really likes Earthquake :wwwink:

I got more 1 from this special event but that will wait until Halloween time :blww: I do have more Shear from the WWF from different times however so look for that in the future :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:55 pm

How dare IRS be bad to Rhonda!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:10 am

Yes indeed :wwwink: Oh what a good promo by the Dream Machine and Jimmy Hart looked so young :) Okay here's this promo of The Nitro Girls from February of 1999, 25 years ago this year. I really liked them. I loved to see their dances between the matches on WCW Monday Nitro plus they'd dance to some cool techno music. I posted Ms. Hancock who was Skye with them for a while just recently. Now Kimberly that Spice is talking about is Kimberly Page, DDP's wife. Now, the great looking, 6 foot tall brunette called Whisper, that's Shawn Michaels' wife :o They were married then :batshock: :wwwink: :smgasp: She was My fave of them all :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc