Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:20 pm

I've seen a little of the older Blackjacks. I didn't know the connection though. I love vignettes like that. I wish companies still used them more for new guys instead of just a random run-in or whatever.

Spoiler:
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:33 am

That was some promo by Page, what heel he's become and what a horrible thing he did there too :o

Okay, good you knew about The Blackjacks a bit. here we go. I've wanted to present this for a long time. This is one of My all-time favorite storylines in wrestling, probably in My top 10. So follow Me here. Since WWF took over Jim Cornette's super fun SMW in 1995, Cornette was longing to get back on track with classic southern wrestling. It wasn't till early 1998 when he came up with a plan and the WWF greenlit it. The NWA had been gone for a while now however their was remnants of it here & there, these remnants still remain today. Cornette with his very clever ways would make some of those remnants work into the WWF despite that The Attitude Era has been ongoing since WCW's nWo first happen in 96 and the times of classic wrestling was over. He wanted to crown a new NWA North American Champion and what better combatants would there be other than Barry Windham and JJ Jeff Jarrett :shock: JJ just returned to the WWF after coming from a decent run in WCW. This is My absolute fave time of JJ Jeff Jarrett in 1998. I loved how he was and how he dressed in his Aztec/Mayn inspired gear and he came out with such a wonderful theme, arguably My favorite wrestling theme of ever of all-time :!:

So, The Rock 'n' Roll Express would return to the Federation since their absence in 1993 and who would be the NWA Tag Team Champions and who better than them :?: The Honky Tonk Man announces them. He also announces their opponents The DOA/Disciples of Apocalypse Skull & 8-Ball whom you just saw the other day as THE BLU BROTHERS & THE GRIMM TWINS :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

So this wonderful stuff would develop and Jim Cornette would have a NWA Stable, one of My all-time fave stables...JJ Jeff Jarrett & The Rock 'n' Roll Express but it soon would have more members. Here's their entrance as they face The New Blackjacks :)

Look for more of this great stuff developing tomorrow :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:59 pm

I remember that JJ outfit from the Raw is War custom gear. This must've been just before I started getting back into it.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:22 am

I see and it may have been. The Raw is War game is a classic :!: That was a very good Piper promo, it's something how he mentions "King of the Ring" because about a decade later Piper would feud & fight with Jerry "The King" Lawler at the 1994 King of the Ring 30 years ago this year :shock:

Okay, here's this from The New Blackjacks...

and who nailed Blackjack Windham :?: Save that answer for tomorrow :shock:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:00 pm

A young Michael Cole to boot. So who hit him?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:49 am

That was a good promo there by Dr. D. David Schultz & Dennis Condrey. Gosh, 1980 :shock:

JJ defends his NWA North American Title against Blackjack Bradshaw and then the unthinkable happens :shock:

Spoiler:
So who hit him :?: It was all a plan by the NWA stable so it never really happen :shock: Now since Barry Windham has joined team NWA. Notice that Windham is blond again and looks like his "Widowmaker" gimmick once more :shock: Bradshaw is on his own now. This here WAS THE START/PRECURSOR/PRELUDE of the Bradshaw that would soon come to be :!:

Tomorrow you'll see how this escalates with some difference including two new members of the NWA :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:19 am

Yeah, I missed all of this. By the time I saw Bradshaw it was as part of the Acolytes.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:31 am

Yes, even if you were watching Packer & focused on it hard, it didn't last long. The coolest things never last long :roll: I'll get to Bradshaw as an Acolyte soon enough :blbat: That was a cool time there in TNA. All four women was great there, Tara was especially sweet :batwink:

Okay, here's the match between Barry Windham & Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. There's some videos I couldn't find so I'm just doing it this way. The Rock 'n' Roll Express are a odds with the Cornette's NWA but who taking their place as the new Tag Champs :? Watch this match as it unfolds the answer and don't click the spoiler below until see this video in it's entirety :shock:

Spoiler:
It was the New Midnight Express :o That's Bombastic Bart Gunn & Bodacious Bob Holly as their up against The Rock 'n' Roll Express :!: Notice that TRNR is using The Rockers' classic theme, that's something else and it fit them too. I also find it amazing that the RNRE has fought at least three different incarnations of TME :o TNME is one of the reasons why I loved this short but great NWA time in the WWF :)

I've already showed Bart Gunn and how he developed but never did do it for Bob Holly. First, here's this that you posted before, this is when he was "Hollywood" Bob Holly in SMW. This predated "Hollywood" Hogan by over three years. Notice he's with Jim Cornette :!:

Next here's Bob "Sparky Plugg/Spark Plugg" Holly in these two vignettes in late 1993 :)

I already posted his great fun theme a long while back in the Themes Topic so here it is again since you just saw his two vignettes from late 1993 :)

Tomorrow well see what's next ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:26 pm

I always thought of the Midnight Express as more grizzled. They looked too clean cut IMO for the name, but it's neat they actually used NWA names then.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:52 am

That was a very good promo by Bobo Brazil. I know what you mean and it sure was. Okay, this will do it for Bradshaw. First We gotta go to The Jackyl who took over The Commandant's Truth Commision in late 1997 :!:

So now unfortunely the NWA is gone, so is The Truth Commision & The Nation of Domination in mid 98 or so. Everybody went their separate ways. The Kurrgan joined The Jackyl however Bradshaw & Faarooq teamed up, now called The Acolytes and The Jackyl is interested in them.

Now fast forward to after The Jackyl went to ECW and The Acolytes were free from The Undertaker's Ministry of Darkness, they became the A.P.A. which stands for the Acolyte Protection Agency. In this video is The Kat whom is Jerry Lawler's great looking wife and she wants to go nude so she asks the A.P.A. :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc