Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:40 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:43 am

That was JBL's beginning and that video was pretty good. What you see is what you get from Bradshaw as he really did do Wall-street stuff, got successful then turned it into a wrestling gimmick which was basically is himself and then became a success holding most championships very quickly. Michael Cole was better then, he didn't have the whatever feeling about him now. He tried to make things really epic but still he was never fun as Todd Pettengill. For months I've been wanting to do an evolution of JBL. Well, now I will since this JBL stuff happen and that you posted that video. First in order to do so, I gotta introduce his manager, Uncle Zebekiah. He made his debut in the great time of 1995 of the early part of the year. He debuted along with his nephews, Jacob & Eli Blu, The Blu Brothers or Blu Twins. In fact they made their first appearance right after Sycho Sid returned on that very same great episode of Monday Night Raw :shock: Unfortunately I cannot find that clip I wanted however I found this. This match is from WWF Superstars. Their against Harvey Whippleman's Well Dunn which I have already established this late great tag team here before. The twin siblings are actually The Bruise Brothers from WCW & ECW. Now you know Uncle Zeb as Dutch Mantel. In fact I just posted a video of him rather recently when he was with Robery Fuller & Jimmy Golden in the SMW. If your wondering, yes, he is Zeb Colter too but really they never said about his past, kinda a reboot thing again :shock: Here's the video, Uncle Zebekiah speaks twice here so watch & listen closely :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:14 pm

I knew Dutch and Zeb were the same, but again, this era is a blank space for me.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:12 am

The feud with Rosea & Deeb is/was great!

Well since it's blank to you keep on watching :) In "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert's great Federation based in Texas, JBL was known as John Hawk. Here he faces the late great "Gentleman" Chris Adams in 1993 :!:

John Hawk went to the WWF in 1995 but didn't became part of the new fun roster till 1996. Here he is now known as Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw :shock: This is his debut facing against Bob "Spark Plug" Holly. I know how I complain about the non-existent ranking system today but they did do that back then and even though I didn't like it back then, it wasn't often as ridiculously overused in today's era. He debuts with Uncle Zebekiah :!:

Now, here's this one against Barry Horowitsz, there's a promo of Bradshaw here.

More tomorrow :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:53 pm

He sure sounds like JBL. Doesn't look like him, though!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:54 am

Yes, I absolutely agree with you PB :shock: That was a really good promo there by Jake "The Snake" Roberts. He was saying stuff like a handshake doesn't matter anymore even back then...amazing. Gosh, Shortly after that Gino Hernandez passed away, way to early :roll:

Okay, next up is this match as Uncle Zeb faces off against Freddie Joe Floyd...yes, here is Tracey Smothers again and this time he has a promo :)

Now here's the aftermath with Zeb & Bradshaw in this short but sweet promo with Kevin Kelly :)

Tomorrow will be be different yet it will set up more Bradshaw, you'll see what I mean in time ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:10 pm

I didn't realize he was still wrestling by then. Bradshaw looks like a giant Pete Dunne, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:58 am

Yes, Zeb/Dutch was semi-retired. Huh, a giant Pete Dunne, I never thought of that :? That Bruiser King Kong Brody promo was really good. They don't make'em like him anymore :roll:

Ok, so here we go with the next one. Now follow Me here closely especially what I say at the climax here. This doesn't have to do with Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw but then it does as tomorrow you'll see why I'm doing this now :) I said that many of the new comers in the WWF in 96 didn't have vignettes nor hype. Well, during this same time in 96 as Bradshaw there were vignettes of a new wrestler called "The Stalker" :!: When I first saw this vignette on WWF Programming I'm like holy cow, THAT'S BARRY WINDHAM :o

So Barry returned to the Federation and hasn't been there since his very brief stint as "The Widowmaker" Barry Windham in 1989, 35 years ago this year as he & The Brainbusters all went back to join Ric Flair in the NWA/WCW :shock:

So really there isn't much of "The Stalker" Barry Windham's time on YT which still amazes Me how much lack of content there is when your looking for something specific. Is all I found was these three Vignettes. This is one of the reasons why I like the 2003 movie The Hunted because of characters like this. Now look how when they show the "The Stalker" word/name...I love that special effect as you see it turning invisible very similar like the alien creature The Predator :blsm:

Barry's gimmick would last long as it be from August - November/December of 96. Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw wouldn't last either. So what happen :? Well both wrestlers were going to be repackaged and since their both cousins, they're going to be together as a new tag team :o That will be tomorrow :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:37 pm

I think they were just a little late as those types of characters were kind of being phased out for more "real" wrestlers. Not a bad gimmick, but when you've got SCSA and such, it didn't seem like it would have much of a chance by then. You just mentioned Gino Hernandez so this seem appropriate...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:07 am

Yes, times were changing. Yep, that's Gino Hernandez. What a shame he passed away too soon, He was great on the mic and in the ring too. Chris Adams passed away about decade later and still it was too soon for him as well :roll:

Okay, now here's a big one. First I gotta introduce you to the late great Blackjacks. Here's Blackjack Mulligan, Barry Windham's Father & Bray Wyatt's Grandfather...

here's Blackjack Lanza, Bradshaw's Uncle :shock: Listen as he says about the Kiel Auditorium in Missouri, such a famous wrestling arena :)

So, that was in the early 80s. Fast forward to early 1997, it appeared that The Blackjacks was making a comeback at their older, veteran ages (Mulligan was away from wrestling due to injuries & Lanza was a WWF Official since at least the early 90s, he always came out to break up a fight or something) but as time would go on we'd soon find out that this vignette was very deceiving :?

So, with a little deceiving hype, there was a new team on the horizon...it was The New Blackjacks :shock: It was Blackjack Windham & Blackjack Bradshaw :o I loved this that they tried carry the legacy of the originals with their boys. Both cut their hair, dyed'em black, handle-bar mustaches and dressed like their forefathers. Here's this match :)

Okay, so after being a dominate team it was time to face off against THE team which was "The King of Harts" Owen Hart and "The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith. Both teams have short but great promos here and you can see the resemblance of The New Blackjacks especially Windham looking like Mulligan :)

So, this wouldn't las6 long unfortunately how cool this was however this would develop into one of My all-time fave angles/storylines...check that out tomorrow :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc