Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:39 am

Oh Lance Cassidy was a good gimmick, he left too soon before he could get started :roll: I mean he had a good catchphrase there: "If you wanna take a chance, just get in the ring with Lance" :) I hope you see the resemblance in Steve Armstrong with Brad Armstrong and "The Road Dogg" Jesse James because there all brothers :)

Gosh, that Big Bossman promo was 25 years ago this year in 1999, this was when he returned to the WWF and really had a decent run, really it was his last hurrah but boy it was very memorable too :)

Okay, so now I'm doing this as an aftermath/in-between combination of sorts so follow Me here Packer as we delve when Steve Armstrong & Tracey Smothers when they went to Smokey Mountain Wrestling ;)

So after Lance Cassidy left the WWF for WCW...he also was in SMW...first we meet again "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel, one of the greatest wrestling champions ever as he has one of the most impressive title reigns. This promo is when he was feuding with Bobby Blaze then we go to Steve Armstrong whom now has short hair. This is when he was feuding with "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel...watch these great promos and listen what Landel says about the Armstrong Family :shock:

So now here's Tracey Smothers during his superb time in SMW. This promo I'm about to show you is one of the most outrageous promos ever seen. This was during the time of THUG/T.H.U.G. in late 93/early 94 :!: First it's Mark Curtis, he would become a ref in WCW later on. Also Robert Gibson, "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel, "Bam Bam" Terry Gordy, Pat Tanaka and of course a busted open Tracey Smothers...this was a great time when SMW was against USWA...what stable & what a time this was...WOW :!:

Remember that what T.H.U.G. stands for...T is for Terrible, H is for Hell, U is for Ugly and G is for Jail because a Thug CAN'T SPELL...oh man I just love that :lol: :batshock: :wwlol: :smsmh: There was a lot of names that was mentioned here in both promos...I'l post them in time :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:19 pm

That's kind of funny. I've heard of Buddy Landel. People say he could've been one of the best but couldn't stay clean. Sad that's ruined many a wrestler's career.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:07 am

Oh yes, British & Japanese wrestling is great, I'm glad that he's like that about that Championship :)

Oh we've talked about Buddy Landel before. I've explained his whole story, all the titles he held, his life story & more. He did stay clean however, he got in a car accident, left the hospitable prematurely then died...it really hurt his wife...I was quite sad that day when I found that out...he was My fave Nature Boy :roll: I know Flair was more this & that but I'm always for the more obscure & less famous that most people don't go after. Okay, I'm going to go down a bit of history that's important to know for many reasons, if you got a long minute then follow Me Packer ;)

First, here's when Landel when he was really coming up with JJ Dillon...yes, the same JJ Dillon of the Four Horsemen :shock:

Now, here's this was one on the biggest events of the entire decade of the 80s...it was "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. "The Nature Boy" Buddy Landel in "The Battle of The Nature Boys" in 1985 :!:

So after a hiatus, "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel came back to the NWA/WCW in the good year of 1990...here's this great promo :)

Also in 1990, five years later after their first battle in, they had "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. "The Nature Boy" Buddy Landel in "The Battle of The Nature Boys" Part II. IMO this was great but it didn't have the impact as the first one did however, Buddy is in great shape here.

Now, here's this one that we talked abut before. Landel talks & get's personal here of the things you just said about PB. Now, the big matter of this is, this in the great fun year of 1995 when there was a big crossover event with SMW & WWF. he would face HBK Shawn Michaels for the IC Championship and eventually Buddy would be in the WWF for a brief time and even used Ric Flair's WWF theme :)

Then here's this recent short bonus ;)

So there's that little history bit of "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel, look for Me to post one of his themes in the Theme Topic in a few short moments :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:25 pm

Yeah, it was tragic how he died. Candido's death was similar with leaving the hospital too soon. You'd think HBK would've learned a lesson or two from Buddy Landel's life but not at that point yet, I guess. Too bad Buddy Rogers wasn't till active, they could've had a three way. Bet Flair had plenty of those.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:43 am

Yes, I agree with all of that and I would think especially since Flair always talked about how many women he was with :o That was some Reverend D-Von promo :shock:

Okay, now I had said about the WWF & SMW had a partnerships and that stuff...now here is a very crucial moment in 1993 because WCW did as well and it was before the WWF did :shock: Watch as Stan Lane is still with Pritchard & Cornette as the original Heavenly Bodies plus much more including "Cowboy" Bill Watts & "Bullet" Bob Armstrong :o

As a nice bonus, here's this really big, star-studded match including Shane Douglas not too long before his first days as "The Franchise" in ECW in 1993 :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:24 pm

It's crazy that Ricky Morton is still wrestling at his age.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:28 am

Yes it is and he's still good too. That time when SMW was in the WCW was quite massive. WWE true sto do that with TNA and AEW does that with ROH but it just doesn't the have the impct that this did I mean just seeing & hearing Jim Cornette alone wasbig cause he wasn't hin WCW for a long while before that. That was a great Dynamite Kid promo. I said before that I always thought that Chris Benoit was very similar to The Dynamite Kid.

Well, I just found out that Afa of The Wild Samoans has died :roll:

My gosh, his brother Sika just passed away very recently, remember I posted a lot of stuff about him in this very Topic. Now Afa :( Here's this tribute video that was on WWE SmackDown. I love the picture that shows him at the 44 second mark as he's wearing an ICOPRO T-Shirt and he's with his son Fatu/Rikishi and his nephews Rodney/Yokozuna (look how he was squatting, he was so athletic for a 600+ pounder!) and Matthew/Rosey whom was Joe/Roman's brother (darn near a twin!). The video shows some key moments here. I just can't believe now that Afa is no longer with us...May he Rest in Peace :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Okay, now on to a funner note, here's a promo of not too much longer when Afa returned to the WWF in 1992, 32 years ago this year. This promo is excellent as he speaks pretty good here with his two sons Fatu & Samu whom were in WCW as The Samoan Swat Team now in the WWF known as The Headskrinkers. Watch this hilarious promo :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:35 pm

That was a wild promo. I heard about Afa yesterday.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:46 am

That was a very good Hall of Fame video package there of The Wild Samoans. It's cool seeing Samu there and what he said about Hardcore and they showed Yokozuna pretty nice too :)

Okay, now here's a couple promos from the very special SMW event called The Bluegrass Brawl that happen in April of 93. This was really the first of it's kind and the first event as well. It was a 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 street fight :shock: Yes, 93 is when the hardcore wrestling was truly starting and trended from then on...such a remarkable period in wrestling so first here's Jim Cornette talking about it in March :)

Now, here's the really big promo. First is The Studd Stable...Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden (yes, here they are again before their days as Col. Robert Parker & Bunkhouse Buck :!: with Dutch Mantel in one of his best promos and then we meet Arn Anderson & The Rock 'n' Roll Express and then the The Heavenly Bodies "Sweet" Stan Lane & "The Dr. of Desire" Tom Pritchard and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton along with Jim Cornette :!: All three teams was great and all three with such good fun promos :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:54 pm

Man, Ricky Morton was looking old there and he's still doing it today, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc