Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:37 am

Oh boy here we go again...I just posted about Rodzilla's shirt in the Wrestling Theme Topic :? I have a small Wrestling T-Shirt Collection that I'll post in time and one of them is a nWo T-Shirt :batconfused: :wwshock: :smhuh:

Okay, here's this really nice Grandpa's/Grandpa Pigeons commercial from 1993. I've showcased about them before in My Topics, they were so good & fun to be at :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:06 pm

They look a little too young to be a grandpa, lol.

I went with a Dennis theme yesterday, hence the Rodzilla theme and nWo talk.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:47 am

Yes, I figured so ;) Ah another Battle Beast commercial, they never get old. I so regret not keeping those that My Father got Me at K-Mart, talking about that on Father's Day was so apropos for Me :roll: I don't recall seeing this commercial and I'm really not sure if he got Me those vehicles & bandoleer or not...it is possible that he did :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Yes they are. You know how you are about Hills :?: Well, I feel similar like that with Grandpa's. They had so much and their toy isles were so impressive :) There was two locations...one on Chippewa not too far away from the Kenrick Theater and the other was in South County close to the Tic-Tok Shop I posted yesterday in your Zen Topic. In My showcases I have explained their history. I loved both locations equally. Sadly they went out of business after they were taken over by Value City completely ...even the locations back in 1999...25 years ago this year :shock: Here Venture went out of business in 1998 and Grandpa's went the next year...two of My most fave stores back to back...it was really pitiful to say the least :roll: I have said this before...after My Mom was done working at Sears for over a decade, she worked at Value City on Chippewa. She hated that job because of many reasons, one of them was commissions :x They're okay as a store to shop at but they only had a tiny selection of toys there. I recall they had the first ever nWo figures by Jakks when the nWo came back in 2002. I got a couple WWF/WWE Jakks figures there, it was a two pack with Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho...I've still never opened it :shock: I was so bummed because I kept on thinking how this was so...SSSSOOOOOO beyond pathetic that this used to be Grandpa Pidgeons...now all of these years later there's very few people that know what that store used to be and all the good times that it offered but I'm very grateful that I had more experiences there at both locals than I can count at Grandpa's :) So with that being said, here's this Value City Furniture Commercial from 2003 :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:06 pm

Ah, Value City. One opened up around here about that same time and my uncle worked there. I ended up buying a cheap mattress from there when the one I'd had probably since childhood started popping too many springs out the that would poke you when you slept. I used to just cover them under the sheet with a towel or something, but then I started dating my wife and she wasn't having any of that, lol.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:07 am

Interesting story Packer...yeah, there's no telling who they took over in your local area :roll:

Ah, Cops n Crooks. I regretfully never got that series by Hasbro. They had articulation just like the G.I. Joes...very cool :)

Okay, now back to furniture. Remember when I showed you Steve Goedeker who specialized in Furniture & more a while back :?: Well, here's Rothman Furniture. We bought a ton from them back in the day. Unfortunately they went out of business a while back. They were near Crestwood in the same area Sports Authority was and the other location that I was very familiar with was in South County...I used to see commercials all the time of Rothman Furniture so here's this commercial of them from 1986 :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:41 pm

I had a few COPS figures, mostly the good guys from what I recall. Not sure why that was. Probably one of the last toylines I got into as a kid.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:33 am

Well that was good that you had some. I think I've played The Game of Life but I'm not sure.

Here's Carol House Furniture. They've been around since 1964 in Missouri. Originally started by Nathan Dubman. In the 80s his son Brook took it over along with sister Amy. This commercial doesn't feature her as this is one of the first ones from 1987. I've seen them for decades ever since I was little. Their still in business but their no longer at their location in South County on Page & Lindbergh and I never knew why. You'll see that address at the climax of the commercial. Their slogan is "Because You Like Nice Things". You'll be be seeing more of them in time ;)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:15 pm

We played Life a lot. That version too, so that songs has always been in my memory.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:25 am

Oh, that is great PB, I'm very glad of that, so good to hear a memory like that :) Gosh, I never seen that MEGO Kiss before...they looked mighty impressive :!:

Here's a Back to School Burlington Coat Factory Commercial from 2012 :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:05 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions