Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The Classic Kaiju Topic: Mighty Joe Young!!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: The Classic Kaiju Topic: Japanese 33 & 38 Kong Special!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:33 am

Now there is actually a sequel/remake of The Great Buddha Arrival that came out in 2018 but before I get into that I want to enter this as a special bonus. I'm going to put it in as spoilers because of NSFW reasons.

Spoiler:
So even though that heartbreaking bombing destroyed most of Japan's great movies & media and that they had to start over, they were able to recover and bring us such great film monsters like Godzilla & Gamera. Speaking of the prehistoric fire breathing gentle Kaiju Turtle, the company Daiei that brought us him...

made a movie about Buddha but this is not a Kaiju film. It's a biblical epic from 1961 titled Buddha also known as Shakka :!: It is a film about ancient Buddhism and is in the same realm as previous epics like 1956's The Ten Commandments and 1959's Ben-Hur. It's a lengthy film running about 155 minutes which is about 2 hours & a Half. It has a lot of stuff well ahead of it's time such as love & hate & violence. Here's the Poster.

Now the thing is it takes place in 5th Century BC in India, not Japan :shock: Here's some pictures of the film.

Amazing Japanese Women playing ancient Indian females though India is part of Asia and it is theorized that the Indians that we know today looked more like Asians so there's that :wwwink:

Continuing...

Notice his Trident, incredible that they did that because that weapon came from Poseidon of Atlantis which was around far longer than this time period :o

Continuing on...

Here's a good look at the Buddha Statue :!:

and closing...

Now there is some really sultry women here, this was ahead of it's time as well :batwink:

There is some creatures in the film however including these classical looking beasts :shock:

Here's two trailers of the film as it was presented by Dino De Laurentiis who would do 1976's King Kong & 1986's King Kong Lives which that is something else right there in their own right :o

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: The Classic Kaiju Topic: Japanese 33 & 38 Kong Special!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:40 am

I know this is Topic of Mine is all about the classic monsters but as you saw earlier I will make exceptions. With this one it's a very necessary & apropos exception. In 2018 the MRTS Co., Ltd. and the Production & Distributing company 3Y Co., Ltd made this very unexpected film...

This was great that they actually took the route of making a sequel to a "LOST" film like this thus remaking it in the process :!:

So the story goes as follows. It begins with a reality of 3Y Co., Ltd. interviewing Godzilla star Akira Takarada (Godzilla 1954 - 1962's King Kong vs. Godzilla) about The Great Buddha Arrival, a "LOST" Kaiju film released in 1934 which coincidentally is the same year he was born :shock: It was directed by legendary special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya's mentor, Yoshiro Edamasa. This interview is actually part of a larger project by 3Y on this mysterious film by Murata. He reviews another segment narrated by Momorun whom explains that the basic premise of the film is the huge Buddha statue at Shurakuen Park coming to life...is rumored to have really happened all of those decades ago :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: She presents a few photographs of the animated statue as possible proof :!:

Now this film takes itself seriously at times. There's actually mentions of Godzilla, Gamera and even Ultraman :o There is many stars from many older Japanese films here. There is two versions of the film that I know of which the Japanese original version is only 50 minutes however the Japanese theatrical release in all years of 2020 was called The Final Edition which ran only 10 minutes longer at 60 Minutes which is only an hour in length which IMO is too short for a movie cause usually I'm wanting more of it if it's really, really good.

Here's another Poster of this film :)

Here's a few pictures from the movie.

Here's two teasers :!:

Here's the Trailer :!:

Now 3Y Co., Ltd. is said to be on the verge of bringing back many "LOST" films & media like they did this Great Buddha Arrival. I've love it if they would do the 1933 Japanese King King & 1938 The King Kong That Appeared in Edo :shock: There's is so much that they could do and I hope their able to do a lot and I hope their a lot of people to support them to, kids needs to know this history too. Here's only a sample of some Japanese "LOST" films & art :)

Great Buddha Arrival 2.jpg

Great Buddha Arrival 3.jpg

Wow, I thought that was incredible...I find all of this absolutely stunning of what I've posted thus far and I hope you liked it. I had to split this up in three parts, make sure to see them especially the 1934 Great Buddha Arrival plus the two "LOST" Japanese Kong films that I posted as well. Next will be a very special movie that was Toho's very first film ever that they made which is barley spoken about by anyone on the web...until then I'll see you around :batgrin:

NOTE: I had to replace the 1933 American RKO King Kong Lost Spider Pit Sequence video, it was terminated so that one doesn't have the Brontosaurus in the beginning plus it's lower quality but it's still great to see all of it's great horror :blsm: If you haven't watched it then do so, it's wonderful plus don't forget to see My posts of the "LOST" Films of the two Japanese King Kong movies as well as 1934's The Great Buddha Arrival all on the first page :)
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: The Classic Kaiju Topic: Ramayana - Toho's First!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:28 am

So next is a very important film, 1942's Râmâyana :!: It was actually Toho's VERY FIRST production :shock:

Toho was founded by the Hankyu Railway in 1932 as the Tokyo-Takarazuka Theater Company. It controlled most of the Kabuki in Tokyo among other properties such as the Tokyo Takarazuka Theater and the Imperial Garden Theater. Toho and Shochiku enjoyed a duopoly over theaters in Tokyo for many years :!: Now of course they are known as the company to bring Godzilla and countless other Kaiju that I and I hope many others love since our childhood. Now if you have been following Me since the start of this great Topic, you've seen some entries so far that you never heard of nor knew existed. Many of these has such history and I hope there' kids & adults alike is seeing how crucial they are for the Kaiju community. Now as you seen about the bonus entry of 1961's Buddha/Shakka, it is a Japanese film about India. Well, that isn't the only film that was made by Japan about ancient India :shock: First I want to say this. by now you know I have a fascination with Japan and history in general but it just doesn't stop there. I think Asia is a very interesting part of this world. India is a major part of this.

I believe seeing Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Kaiju films such as Godzilla 1985 truly sparked that when I was a wee-youngster :)

While many people just turn their heads away from things, I don't. Over time I've learned to appreciate a lot of stuff. Now if you've kept up with PB's Wrestling Theme Topic, then you know I posted Tiger Ali Singh's wonderfully exciting theme there and I pointed out to look in the background of the Women Statues behind him. I don't how many people really observed that on the web but I sure did the moment I first saw the Tron from way back. I have always been intrigued about that :)

Tiger Ali Singh - Indian Women 1.jpg

Like today's society of this pathetic androgynous modern age losing it's passion & lacking so much with their cherry picking & various ways, it will one day be like ancient ruins of civilizations of the past. Sorry but not sorry about that, I think of this every day, it's not a certain frame of mind thing where it's important now and not tomorrow, it's important every day and I'm still hoping that people is gonna smell the coffee about it...I've said so many times of how crucial My past of all of the great stores I once knew and the good people that owned them were (if your faithfully following My Showcases then you know I've presented many stores & people from My local childhood that most if not everybody in My region beyond pathetically never talks about them or don't even know about them which it's so imperative for Guardians to teach their kids among others these crucial matters, I try to relive & preserve them as best as I can)...I see all over the web hardly anybody talks about their past, it's like nobody had any good moments, met any good people or even cared about their own past :roll: People is gotta start talking about their past and more instead of being distracted by this & that in the news or whatever else that TPTB is conditioning society about...that's how old civilizations are still a mystery today because their history was not preserved like it should have been...now really do you want that to happen too all of the great things that we grew up with and know for not only our sake's but for our younglings sake's too :roll: If we don't then so much will fall to Oblivion and by time kids of this generation are our age, so much that we know now will all be gone or be so darn different :shock: They really gotta want it too instead of thinking does it really matter :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

It matters so much, just like Diana from the classic 1961/1962 Three Stooges Meet Hercules said to her boyfriend Schuyler, yes it does matter...unless your a Jellyfish...nothing's important to you...not even Me :!:

Thanks to the Stooges, Schuyler becomes "a man" and fights the heel Hercules about History, Hercules wises up and changes History the way it was meant to be :!:

So, as I've said, history is very important and it matters more now than then ever before :!:

I know I don't want that history gone and neither should anyone else so let's make that happen...you can't say I'm not doing My part :) Now, the ancient culture of India was so radical, really it has some of the most unique stuff in Mythology. The Ancient Indian Women Statues are such beautiful sculptures of stone, sandstone, metal & terracotta. Thank goodness they have bee preserved as best as possible. It amazes Me because of how shapely & thick their bodies are with very large big boobs and how they pose. No other country to My knowledge has this style. The men really had it made back then and whoever created these masterpieces are some of the best sculptors of ever of all-time :!: Now as a special bonus, I've put together this collage plus more of many of these truly incredibly gorgeous Female India Statues :)

Okay, since My fascination talk is over here for now, let's get back to this very special movie. It is Râmâyana which is based on the Epic Poem Hindu Legend of the same name that dates over 2000 years ago much like the gorgeous Women Statues you saw above :o The story goes the Demigod Jatayu spreads and activates life, Goddess Sita & Lord Rama begin their journey of joy but it all soon ends when Giant Demon King Ravana enters and takes away Lady Sita to his huge Kingdom thus making Rama rescue her with the help from the Kingdom of Kishkindha :!:

Now like the "LOST" films 1933 Japanese King Kong, 1938's The King Kong that Appeared in Edo & 1934's Great Buddha Arrival that I just recently spotlighted here within this great Topic of Mine, there isn't a ton of info. I know a lot but not everything. Here's what I know. It's Toho's first film ever and it's a very short film at only about 17 minutes long. Most of the characters are Marionettes so if you love Vintage Puppets, this is the Granddaddy of them all to witness as it's Japanese Bunraku that is a tradition since the 1600s :!:

Here's one of the only surviving pictures on the entire Internet of the Puppeterring on the set of 1942's epic Râmâyana :o

It was Written by Kôhan Kawauchi, Produced by Iwao Mori and is Distributed by Film Distribution Corporation. It's believed it had a delay being shown at the Theaters till 1943 - 1945 due to the darn wars I've spoke earlier about before that made those spectacular films "LOST" :x After that it was a forgotten gem for many, many decades :shock: Unbelievably the film was finally seen by a then modern age (many people do not acknowledge the times of the web in the 90s - thru the mid 2000s and today's kids really haven't a clue how it was) online after it was all of a sudden broadcasted on the Japanese specialty channel NECO on July 21, 2003 which that there is downright incredible :o To My knowledge there is no Trailer that exists. Now as before I've got pictures and many of these are made by Myself. I will introduce every character and their imperative comparisons of their Hindu counterparts :)

First, here's Toho's very first incarnation of their Logo :shock: If you pay attention to the beginning of most if not all Godzilla films then you should be able to recognize the similarity :)

Jatayu: He is a demigod in the Ramayana. He usually takes form an Eagle. He was the younger son of Aruṇa & Shyeni, brother of Sampati plus the nephew of Garuda. He was also a very old friend of King Dasharatha, the father of Rama. Here's how he looks in the movie.

He battled the giant Ravana but ultimately lost as he sliced his wing :roll:

He is a very crucial part of India. So crucial they made a National Park called Jatayu Earth's Center in Chadayamangalam, Village in Kerala, India. It's really like a Museum. They made an enormous statue of him falling in defeat. It's quite odd they chose that however it's a truly a huge and an extraordinary sculpt to say the least :o

Goddess Sita & Lord Rama: Sita is a Hindu goddess and the main female protagonist of the Hindu epic Ramayana. It is considered that she is the Avatar of Lakshmi, Sita is the love interest of Rama. That is the avatar of the lord god Vishnu. A high deity in Hinduism and one of the most favorite avatars of Vishnu and in Rama-centric Hinduism, he is believed to be the supreme being :!: Here's their depictions in the classic film which has a similarity to Aladdin - One Thousand and One Arabian Nights but keep in mind the Râmâyana predated this by at least 2000 Years :!:

and here is their depictions in classic Mythology.

Many animals are sacred and worshiped in India. There is several Animals in the film including a King Cobra, Camel, Ostrich & Zebra. The puppets looks so cute, I really love them :)

Sugriva & Vali and the Varnaras: These monkey-like people are the rulers of the Varnara Kingdom. Surgriva is the younger brother of Vali. They have a grand army of many soldiers. They are allies to Rama & Sita. This is what they look like in the film.

Here's some ancient stuff of them in the real life :!:

Here's what the actual Kingdom of Kishkindha supposedly looked like :o

Now here is the Demon King Ravana, he is the main antagonist in the film.

He's a giant and really is Kaiju-like. I just love how he is. He's basically played by a suit-actor that would predate every Godzilla film. Only the three "LOST" films that I previously spotlighted had suit actors so the trend was setting in :) I just love how he appears in the Storm Clouds during the lightning strikes. He takes Sita away for his own pleasure in the movie :!:

Now even though he's supposed to be Indian, his design really looks Japanese to Me then again if you look and study Asia, you'll see how there is a ton of similarities there :)

Now here's two modern depictions of him.

The giant King Ravana loved his Dancers and Women in general. George Lucas created Jabba the Hut as he was inspired by King Ravana :o

One of his Dancers in the Marionette epic is really dark skinned. She looks African or a Black Female. She's neither. She's Indian with a very dark complexion which the dark skin like that looks really unique. She's a Saree. Look at here way beyond her time Articulation, that is so darn outstanding :!: Here's a picture I made of the Saree Dancer with a comparison of a very dark skinned Indian Saree Female Dancer :batwink:

His Kingdom is the Fortress City of Lanka :!:

Ravana has his Guards as well. They looked really cool :)

He tries everything he can to protect his Kingdom :!:

This is believed as to what remains of the real Fortress City of Lanka :shock:

So that's the End and as the climax happens in the movie, here's Toho's Logo as it appears one more time :)

Now I know the recent award winning movie Oppenheimer has got a ton of publicity and attention but so many people don't mentioned about the real J. Robert Oppenheimer and how they placed a major quote of his in the 2013 Godzilla SDCC Teaser Trailer. Oppenheimer studied many things, one of them was Hindu :!:

Here's the quote he said in the Teaser :!:

Now, in the Teaser, we see a huge, Octo-limbed creature. This was absolutely huge during this time in 2013 at the SDCC by the Kaiju Community. It was always theorized that it was a huge, mutated Tardigrade/Water Bear which are cute & minute Arthropods. They were recent;y featured in the 2018 Ant-Man movie too :shock:

Water Bears 1.jpg

I agreed with this theory because I really liked it and it does look like one if you envision one being a Kaiju :!: Unfortunately this creature was never in the film and it was really never known what it was. however the fans did give it a name and it was Vishnu :!: Oppenheimer says Vishnu right there in Teaser which this is how the name stuck. It was way more clever than the MonsterVerse's Titan Doug, still I think that is such a lame name that was chosen by some random Social-Media-ite tat nobody ever hears about and Legendary went with it :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Now this unused creature also goes by the name of Talaghan which means "Fallen" in Korean by fans as well. However it's mostly called A strange, dead monster officially in books. I think about this a lot of how cool it would have been if this monster would have been on screen and in the film :roll: Now the thing is Legendary & Warner Brothers did green-light the idea of Titans & Gods which is ongoing in the MonsterVerse as I speak so with Oppenhimer's study for Hindu, they went with a variation of that :shock:

Here's the 2013 SDCC Godzilla Teaser and you can clearly hear what Oppenheimer says here about the Hindu Scripture. Also you'll see that this film originally appeared to be very different compared to the final version that was released in 2014, 10 years ago this year :shock:

Okay, so My spotlighting is done. Now here is the actual film of 1942's Râmâyana, Toho's VERY FIRST production :!: This is the only copy on the entire Web that exists which that is extremely and unbelievable pathetic but hey, us Kaiju & Toho fans are really, I mean REALLY lucky to be able to watch it in it's entirety. Imagine if somehow, someway the "LOST" films of 1933 Japanese King Kong, 1938's The King Kong that Appeared in Edo & 1934's Great Buddha Arrival would make a miracles recovery and suddenly appear on the Net...it would be one be of the most remarkable things to ever happen...mark My words on that :) Now the film is really good quality and such a great one. Now keep in mind everything that you just read in My Spotlight :)

I hope you liked this one and all of the history that I've presented thus far. There will be a ton more classic stuff coming soon, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: The Classic Kaiju Topic: Daiei Invisible Man!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:07 am

So next in the lineup of classic Kaiju films are two entries that many may not consider to be Kaijus at all however I feel I must place these within this great Topic of Mine. It's one of the first films by Daiei Kyoto made whom would become Daiei that would create the great Gamera films. I featured an early film of these above called Buddha/Shakka as well. Here's one of their first Logos they had to present during the beginning of their films :!:

Now I find this whole little franchise to be something else for many reasons. This is their Invisible Man series and a Japanese take on the H.G. Wells Universal Monster franchise. There is only two films...The Invisible Man Appears & The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly :o

Now the Universal Monster versions from the 30s & 40s are great films. Here's a great collage of their posters that I made :)

Now here's 1949's The Invisible Man Appears that incredibly has it's 75th Anniversary this year :o Here's a great look it's superb looking poster :)

The women look quite unique here from 1949.

As I said before, I just how the Japanese Movie Posters are designed. I really dig how these Posters look, I find them so excellent :batsmile:

Here is some screen shots from the movie, these are something :blbat:

Meet Shunji Kurokawa who would become The Invisible Man :!:

Back in the day when they made the film, they came out with some superb Trading Cards, here's one of'em :shock:

Here's the awesome Japanese Trailer :!:

So now here is The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly from 1957. While The Invisible Man Appears came out slightly after 1944's The Invisible Man's Revenge, this movie actually predates the first American Fly movie that came out in 1958 by one year. I'm always astonished about things & origins that predates others :batsmile:

This here is a remarkable Japanese Poster. I love the woman doing a Handbra and keep in mind this is 1957 :o

These Covers are pretty good too.

Again, these Posters are outstanding :!:

Now this movie isn't a direct sequel to The Invisible Man Appears as it's just a stand alone film. Here's some screenshots from it. The women in this look really nice, it's amazing how even Japanese ladies appeared to have that style in the 1950s :)

Now Arrow Entertainment has made a special double feature of both of the films together in a special Blu-ray pack in which the art looks so tremendous...

I could only find one trailer to The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly so here it is :!:

Now next up will be 1949's Mighty Joe Young which I spoke about when I posted My great 1933 King Kong & Son of Kong spotlights...

This will...

come soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: The Classic Kaiju Topic: Mighty Joe Young!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:21 am

Here we go with Mighty Joe Young, the 1949 classic that has it's 75th Anniversary as I type this :shock:

This was presented by John Ford is basically made by the same people that did the 1933 King King & Son of Kong classics as it's Directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack and Written by Ruth Rose & Merian C. Cooper. I featured them on the first page when I greatly spotlighted both films because their like the first team in Hollywood of this kind :)

The movie has a very different plot than the Kong films. To some, perhaps to many may seem let down that this wasn't a monster film.

This even stars the same guy in those two films, Robert Armstrong :shock:

The movie is about a Giant Gorilla...

he was adopted & raised by a young woman named Jill Young since he was a baby. She named him Joe.

She would train him and he would make her rich in the Circus. They would really get into some situations as well.

One big act is when there was a Strongman Tug of War, real life wrestlers of this classic time period Primo Carnera and Phil Olafsson were two of them :shock:

Strong Men - Mighty Joe Young 1.jpg

SUPER SPECIAL NOTE: Here's a quote from My Grandma's Tribute that I made for her back in 2022, I thought it would be apropos to post it here because this goes along the lines of this movie which what a coincidence that this was occurring around the same and that it had to do with a young pretty girl and her beloved Gorilla :? :batconfused: :wwshock: :smroll:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Phil the Gorilla: NOTE - (I spoke of this in My recent St. Louis books posting in My Odds & Ends) When My Grandma Mimi was a teenager, she would go to the St. Louis Zoo to see Phil, he was one of the most famous and largest primates ever in the USA. They actually befriended each other, for years she would go to his Birthday parties, give him cake and she'd hold his huge hand and all of that. She loved it when the classic wrestlers (I do not recall their names) would visit for a special event and have a tug of war with him. He would always win :!: He went on a hunger strike and died in 1958, she was so sad that her great ape pal had passed away :cry:

You can see the rest of her great Tribute that I made for here here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/special-events/my-tribute-to-my-grandma-t1221.html

While the film Mighty Joe Young has no Kaiju battles, Joe Young has his fight with very ferocious Lions...

and has a much different ending than both 33 Kong movies :!:

This was an RKO movie yet but also it was Warner Brothers. weird that many, many decades later they'd get the rights to King Kong :shock: So here's the official trailer :!:

Now Max Steiner didn't return to compose the music along with the same crew that made the 33 Kong films. Here's the excellent main title by another great classic movie composer, Roy Webb. It's a really great piece of music. This video that I chose shows you a ton of great pictures of many different things that concerns Mighty Joe Young and if your if a history buff like Me then you should really like this :)

Like so many people never talk about some of the most funnest aspects of a film and/or TV show such as music and who composed it, they never talk about the great people behind the special effects and I don't know why. I've never known and it's boggled My mind for the longest time :roll: People don't realize what a great conversation this makes not to mention more fun for themselves :roll: This great stuff has always been a topic within My household especially with My Grandpa and I try very hard to still keep it that way :) The man who created Mighty Joe Young and all of it's special effects is none other than Ray Harryhausen :!: I spotlighted big time of "Founding Father of Fun Films", Mr. Willis H. O'Brien whom was the Granddaddy of all special effect artists on page 1 of My fine Topic. Like composers beginning their careers as assistants, Harryhausen was actually his assistant on many of his films. Here's a good picture of him with two of his most famous works of the Cyclops & The Dragon from the 7th Voyage of Sinbad :!:

A long while back I posted My great X-Plus Ray Harryhausen Vinyl Figure collection for Halloween here---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-toy-discussions/my-miscellaneous-modern-collection-poze-m-by-play-mind-t1086-10.html

Here's a superb painting of most of his work in it along with himself :)

Now they remade Mighty Joe Young in the absolutely huge movie & eventful year of 1998. It was actually a Disney film, it would come out months later after Godzilla 98...

Mighty Joe Young - Godzilla 98 - 1.jpg

I will feature both of these later on within this great Topic of Mine in time :shock:

So that will do it. I hope you liked this. If your new to this great topic of Mine, there is a ton to check out. I posted a a lot of historical films including the first monster film which was 1925's The Lost World and the ultra-forgotten films such as the "LOST" 1930s Japanese Kong films, Ramayana which was Toho's very first film and even Daiei's Invisible Man movies :shock: Next will be an epic film that very few people talk about that predated the first Godzilla film in 1953 but was originally written as a book in 1951 that truly sparked Toho's passion for their Kaiju franchise...here's a slight hint of it...

I will reveal and talk about what this great book & movie is in My next spotlight soon, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:21 pm

I never saw the original. I didn't even know it existed before the Disney version came out, I thought they were just ripping off King Kong. Like I said, these types of movies were just not a draw for me back then, so I didn't follow the old b&w films as much. I saw the Disney version but don't really recall much about it.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:17 am

I see, nope not a rip off. I'll feature the Disney 98 one in time, I hope you found a lot of what I posted thus far interesting and all the history that I've gathered up here. There's so much to talk about. I am very proud of Myself how I presented the "LOST" films of The Japanese Kongs & The Great Buddha Arrival. To think those wonderful movies were all lost during those unneeded wars :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: I would hate to think that in as soon within a decade that there' a possibility that would be completely forgotten about :roll: Also, Ramayana wasn't just your first Toho movie ever but also one of the very first that featured Puppets. I had include how Lucas was really inspired by Ramayana and that's how he came up with Jabba the Hutt. If you have noticed or perhaps you haven't, there's a ton of Indian inspiration plus other cultures such as Persian in Star Wars like in names such as Shmi, Padme Amidala etc.

I love history & trivial stuff like that :) Soon, I will spotlight the 1951 story & 1953 movie that sparked the emergence of Godzilla :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Not sure if you knew this book was coming out in September but I plan on getting it for me, er my son, for his birthday! It came out in Japan last year but there's an English version coming out soon. I love these kinds of books.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1835410367/?c ... _lig_dp_it

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:54 am

No, I didn't know about this at all :o That's awesome that they did this for Godzilla's 70th Anniversary. Looks to be pretty good. The illustrations look to be brand new, created just for this book. They could have just made it simple and put movie stills in it but went that extra mile. Well, whether this book is for you, your son's Birthday or for you to share...I'm sure it will be fun to look at. That's great that you love these kind of books. Like I said before, it's always helpful to have a physical copy. I've always preferred these types too. It's such a shame that DK/Dorling Kindersley never made a Kaiju Visual Dictionary...that would have been so darn awesome. I hope you & you son just don't enjoy it but also feel grateful for it because back in My day when I was an absolute major Kaiju fan when the original stuff was still ongoing when I was a youngster and even till when I was older to the mid/late 2000s, the Kaiju community didn't have many options to get Godzilla and/or Kaiju itmes much less books :roll: We were lucky that Trendmasters made those incredible Godzilla figures in the early to late 90s but that was just about it and they weren't available everywhere, only places like TRU. Before the web and places like Ebay & Amazon existed or carried items that was imported. If we really did want them then we'd have to go to Japan to get them or hope there was some place in a comic book and/or magazine advertisement or online that specialized in Japanese imports and had Kaiju stuff. For years & years in My neighborhood since I was a youngster I was hoping for a Godzilla shop when a place was vacant but one never moved in anywhere, always the same type of stores or businesses would come that really was never needed and it's always been so disappointing that there was nobody ever that wanted to open a store like that...they only shop that I've ever known that specialized in Asian Imports was Judy's Spectrum SuperStore and she's been out of business since early 1992 or so...don't forget I showcased and pour My heart about her + the great times at Cherokee Street in My Vintage Action Figure Topic because I loved her and all of those times that I had there. You talk about going back in time, oh believe you Me, if I had a time machine, she and those times would be one of the first that I would visit :!: So again, you and anybody that is getting Kaiju stuff should really be glad that there is these times now when the MonsterVerse exists and that there is opportunities to get Kaiju items. Tell you son about how hard it was for Kiaju fans to obtain Godzilla & Kaiju memorabilia...it's a very important part for a young Kaiju fan to know ;) Now will I be getting this book? I'm not sure, I'm on quite a budget so I don't know. I'd like to get it. The way these pictures look, they remind Me of some of the Cryptozoology books that I have. Also,the little Anime kid at the bottoms of the pages seriously reminds Me of how the characters in the great classic River City Ransom NES Video Game looked. I clicked the link you provided...Amazon had some additional pictures...here they are and they all look pretty nifty especially the ones of King Ghidorah 91, Godzilla 95 aka Burning Godzilla and Godzilla 99 aka Godzilla Millennium :)

The book will probably have multiple entries of Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Mothra etc. since there is many versions of them. As with action figures & video games, variants waste so many slots of new entries that we could have so I'm not expecting every Toho Kaiju to be included within this new book. It would be cool if King Kong, Mechani-Kong, Frankenstein and his spawn the Gargantuas Sanda & Gaira are in it. Also even really obscure ones like the monsters from Space Amoeba. It would be totally awesome if they make a spinoff of this book and make a 60th Anniversary of Gamera for next year :shock:

Well, thanks for bringing this to My attention PB, this is really, really cool :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:39 am

Oh my, River City Ransom was one of my favorite NES games. It was just different being able to buy food and stuff, lol. Plus it was made by the same people as Dodgeball, which was another great game both at the arcade and the NES. I played those games a lot as a kid. Yeah, one of the reasons I never got into Godzilla before the internet was there was a lot of stuff out there movie wise and all of it looked different and there wasn't an easy way to try and figure out what was what or when and stuff, and I'd see movies at the video store and had no idea where to start, so it was just something I avoided. Like you said, kids today have it so much easier, and yet we seem to be growing more and more into a society of useful idiots.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions