Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:01 am

Yes it is and to think Gordy & Williams passed away during the same decade :roll: That was a very good promo by the young Von Erichs. 40 years is way, way too long for that :!:

Dang, I forgot to say about your promo yesterday about Mr. Perfect vs. The Texas Tornado :roll: That was a great time in 1990, My Grandpa loved Kerry, he's the one that taught Me about Von Erichs :shock: That was a great promo. Shame the feud didn't last much longer after the Survivor Series as he was also in a sub/minor/on going feud with The Ultimate Warrior. Now they were talking about that big match at the event...it was The Warriors vs. The Perfect Team which was The Warrior & Von Erich and the Legion of Doo, vs. Mr. Perect & Demolition Ax, Smash & Crush. It was a great match at one of the funnest WWF events and really My fave Survivor Series :)

Okay, now here's this. Here's a special ad of the great crossover event in 1990 when the WWF, NJPW and AJPW went at it head to head at the Toykyo Dome on April 13 :shock: It was called The Wrestling Summit Event :!: Oh man it was a great card, still arguably the best event of it's kind and sometimes it's till hard to believe that this actually happen. In the commercial the narrator says a lot, most important things he says however is Genichiro Tenryu is facing Macho King Randy Savage with Sensational Sherri (this was the beginning of Tenryu's on & off again partnership with the WWF) and that Terry Gordy was investigated to be the opponent for Hulk Hogan :!: Unfortunately Terry couldn't make it however he was replaced by another fine US Country Gaigin and that was Stan "The Lariat" Hansen. Really it was apropos since they were both in No Holds Barred just months prior to this epic event in 1989. Now there's a short but wonderful promo with a dream team of Giant Baba and Andre the Giant who face Demolition, Ax & Smash (Crush didn't appear till a few months later) :o Baba is 6 foot 10 which is huge for a Japanese and Andre is 7 foot 5. What Giant Baba says is that this is first time that he teams up with Andre so come on over and see us ;) Here it is ;)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:01 pm

Andre was really freaky when he got those crazy eyes. I'd have been petrified to step n the ring with him looking like that.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:45 am

Yes, Andre could get the looks there. Only guys that could rival him with the eyes like that was Dan Spivey, Crush and Kevin Nash. That was cool. It reminded Me of some crazy moments the Indies had in the 90s :lol:

Okay, now here's somebody nobody ever talks about anymore...it's Matty in the House :o If you don't know him he was the first Hypeman for ECW in the crucial year of 1993 :!: Gosh I miss these times. Now the thing is, this generation thinks the saying "Sorry, Not Sorry" is relatively new. Well it isn't. Many people think it originated in the year 2000...well I got news for them...it didn't...while I don't know the exact year, I noticed that Matty In The House started saying it over 30 years ago now :o It was his saying/catchphrase before catchphrases were cool as he said it like in every one of his funny promos...just another example of so many things that people think it's new and its like nope...it's way older than what you think and that's why this generation really needs to look back, so much is already there :o

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:21 pm

Nope, don't recall him but I didn't stumble across ECW on TV until 1998 or beyond as it was on sports channel late at night.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:52 am

I see. Yeah, it wasn't on for a long while in My area. I was like dang, I missed a lot here when it was back on TV but in those mean times I had to keep up with it in the wrestling mags and then the web when that came to be. That was a very good one with Sting, those days were so good. Only three years in the sport and Sting was such a top one already :)

Speaking of good times, here's the debut of Lord Steven Regal in June of 1993 :shock: That's actually Bill Dundee there as Sir William and Tony Schiavone really doesn't know what to think here :lol:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:15 pm

Everyone looks so young there, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:46 am

Yes they were, it was 1993 ;) When I first saw them it was kinda new for Me cause I was really only used to guys like The British Bulldog, this opened a new array of British wrestling for Me as well as the general public I would imagine. That was a very good Mickie James & Trish Stratus. Her obsessed fan gimmick was cool. I liked how their were dressed too. Even though these were the last of the days of the Ruthless Aggression Era, it was still a tiny bit of Attitude Era there.

Get ready for something big & special. Today is June 13th...on this day 31 years ago in 1993 was the first WWF King of the Ring Event :!: It was such great event but I'm only focusing on the main thing...Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna because this was so big back then and to Me too and still is :o Make sure you see these in the order that I put them :) First here's this special :)

Here's The King's Court on Monday Night Raw before the KOTR with Master Fuji & Yokozuna :!: Look at that classic set up, gosh that was so darn cool & fun :)

Here's the KOTR Report...I loved these. There's a tremendous promo by the WWF Champ Hulk Hogan here :)

During this same time Hogan is IN JAPAN...Hogan bad mouths the WWF Championship...listen to what he says :o

Here's the epic clip of Yokozuna facing Hogan. I love the sound of the WWF events during these times of 93 - 96. This is when Yoko defeated Hogan for the belt with a little help from a photographer that was played by Harvey Whippleman :o

After the event ended the new champ Yokozuna & Master Fuji had a good promo. They want to celebrate in America :o

BONUS --- Hogan & Yokozuna - Face To Face. I loved it when they had the Face To Face segments. Hogan would face Yoko on the European Tour but he never could beat nor slam Yokozuna :o :batshock: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

So if anybody followed WWF only and not WCW then Hulkamania was gone till 2002 when he returned. Like I said in My Yo, Do You remember 93, 93 was the most Patriotic year in wrestling. I will continue this close to the Fourth of July :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:15 pm

Mr. Fuji was great. Too bad he's gone.

I'm kind of digging this smug, obnoxious version of Jericho as The Learning Tree. Dude has more characters than Walt Disney, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:58 am

Yes, Chris Jercho is very talented :shock:

Yes he was great, a very good manager and Yokozuna was his last man and look what he did for him but don't forget, Yokozuna passed away in 2000 at only 34...he was far too young and passed away way before Mr. Fuji did in 2016. When Yoko died just a year after his tag partner Owen it was really sad :roll: Also, I've read so few people over the years never saying anything how Yoko just stood there in his monster heel persona from 92 - early 96 with a straight face staring at the camera with really not blinking just to say his signature Yosh :!: & Banzai :!: and a few other words. I think that was really good. Also, it was something back then in 93 when all of the Hulkamaniacs were wanting Hogan to win and downright expecting it...but it didn't happen...he actually lost...it was controversial yes but the decision stood and Yoko is the one that truly stopped Hulkamania in the WWF (when Hogan came back in 2002 during the nWo angle, it was complexly ignored like we were all supposed to forget about the one monster Hogan never really could beat). When Yoko defeated Hogan was truly a shocking moment when it happen even for Me because even though Hogan was Hogan to Me...I was usually for the monsters he'd face and 9 times out of 10 Hogan would prevail...not this time...I knew Yoko would beat would him, just like I knew he'd win the Rumble and eventually be champ :)

Okay, now here's a bit of a little history from Me ;) Remember when I posted My WWF 91 House Show Event :?: I went with My Mom and her boyfriend Kevin at the St. Louis Arena aka The Checker Dome in December 91. Here's My quote :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
Chris Chavis vs. "The Mighty" Hercules Hernandez: So this was the surprise and the whole highlight on the entire card for Me. Power and Glory was disbanded due to Paul Roma leaving the federation. This was never explained on WWF TV. Hercules was still sporting the same P&G attire however and he had longer hair (see the WWF Royal Rumble 92 for an example of that...that event was one of his last matches in the WWF) and seemed to just lose his spunk and became an enhancement talent unfortunately like he was before his P&G days. I don't think he was accompanied by "The Doctor of Style" Slick, I don't remember that. So, days before the event it was a mystery as to whom this Chris Chavis was. I never saw him in Pro Wrestling Illustrated or anything wrestling magazine previously or at the time. Hercules' entrance was first (I loved his theme). So it was time for his mystery opponent to enter the ring and there he was. He looked like a regular guy but really muscular and seemed to be Native American. He was wearing brown trunks and attire. He was giving Hercules a hard time as he showed very little offence. After a few minutes it was over when Chis Chavis used a brain chop then a Samoan drop and the newcomer got the victory.

Winner: Chris Chavis via pinfall.

NOTE #4: Later on in the very early months in 1992, Chis Chavis would be repacked and known as "The Native American" Tatanka that we all know today! When he debuted on TV with the gimmick I was saying to My Grandparents something like this: hey, that's Chris Chavis, he's the new guy I saw at the event Me & Mom went to! I was surprised about the whole thing and I have followed Tatanka ever since :o

Now look at the pic, Chavis looked similar like this as he didn't have the red streak in his hair nor did he wear the white pants either.

That has always been such a memorable thing for Me. Now, fast forward just a bit after that. He had a dark match with Dale Wolfe. The volume is very low. Just ignore that. He was briefly known as War Eagle here so he's going thru a change and no longer his real name. Just look at Chavis as to how he is dressed. This is extremely similar as to how I recall him in person :shock:

Now, here's his first Vignette on TV, he is sort of repackaged kinda like Max Moon was the Comet Kid. He is now known as Tatanka. This is when I was telling My Grandparents, that's Chris Chavis...the new guy I saw in person with Mom & Kevin :shock:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:47 pm

Tatanka was around just about the time I was getting away from wrestling. I remember when he was back briefly during the Attitude Era.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc