Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:51 pm

Yeah, that's kind of why O thought of posting a promo of his. I haven't watched any of it, but I've been following what's been going on with Cody, Reigns, and the Rock. It's interesting, just not enough to make me watch.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:14 am

I see. You can see the resemblance there of Father & Son. Man Johnson was in kind of a rush there. OK, You heard him talking about Badd Company Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond. They were a very good team. I'll do brief trivia lesson here ;)

Here's Tanaka & Diamond as Badd Company with Downtown Bruno...you know him as Harvey Whippleman :o They were really one of the most underrated tag teams which they were really good at the Martial Arts.

Here's Sgt. Slaughter's team of the The Mercenaries for the upcoming WWF Survivors Series 1990. This is one of Akeem's last appearances ever in the WWF...he would be replaced by Boris Zukoff which was more fitting IMO since Nikolai Volkoff was the enemy. There's the Orient Express...Pat Tanaka & Sato. Unfortunately Tanaka has a bad moment here but it shows he's only human :roll:

OK BONUS TIME! As you know I loved 1990 in wrestling as well as other things, it was something else. Sato decided to leave wrestling but he didn't really leave the WWF, he became an official backstage for broadcasting the WWF in Japan. So he was replaced by the masked man Kato and formed The New Orient Express. Who was Kato :?: It was Paul Diamond :shock: That's right, Diamond had a reunion with Tanaka :) During this short bout The LOD has a short promo ;) The match ends in one the best finishers ever seen IMO :o

As a reminder...Bill Goldberg's theme was not his originally...WCW pulled off a Hulk Hogan and it was originally for...Pat Tanaka in 1996 :o

Tomorrow I'll see about a bit more of Paul Diamond as he had his moments too ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:23 pm

I've seen another tag team use that recently but can't really recall who. Or something very similar.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 am

Oh I'm sure you have PB. Sometimes I get tired of WWE, AEW, TNA and the rest acting like this and that is new making kids & noobs thinking it's never been done before when I'm like gosh, that was done over twenty years ago. I've expressed this stuff before. Even stuff in the 90s like when Sting became "The Crow Sting" and debuted his Scorpion Death Drop I'm like dang, Skinner debuted that in 91 and when Luke Harper did the Gator Roll and Michael Cole is making it like a new move which I'm like Cole, where were you...Skinner did that move in 91 too :roll: There's so much I bet I could fill up a topic of this much like the reboots in so many forms of media :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

OK, that was interesting that you posted Flex Kavana in the USWA. That was a precursor before his Rock days which that was his last appearance in the USWA. That was in August so "The Flex" was on his way to become Rocky Maivia at the WWF Survivor Series 96. Like I said in My Yo, Do You Remember, USWA just wasn't partners of the WWF, they were basically a training ground for them. WWF didn't invest like WCW did with their Power Plant, they just took over :roll: It was a very fun and interesting time back then in the USWA in the 90s. Tons to talk about. In My Yo, Do You Remember 93 I posted a lot about USWA. There's a lot that WWE still doesn't talk about today. Arguably the biggest one was the birth of Mr. McMahon years before the Attitude Era. Here's a quote from My Yo, Do You Remember 93 :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Everybody knows Mr. McMahon and the Mr. McMahon character but did you know that the character was actually born in 1993 in the USWA :? Yep, like Owen Hart winning the world title, this was supposed to be hush hush as well :shock: Vinnie Mac was a clear babyface during the WWF's matches commentary & interviews but here there was no difference from how he would become once The Attitude Era began :batsmh: :wwshock: :smgasp: Jim Ross's Fake Razor Ramon & Diesel were there and this is actually where The Rock got his Rock persona as Flex Cavana :shock:

OK, I might show how McMannequin was in the USWA further but for now I want to continue from yesterday about Paul Diamond.

So first I gotta begin this way. You may not know any of this PB so follow Me here ;)

The creation of MAX MOON by Konnan aka K-Dawg :smwink: A character that is from the Future in Outer Space :blmm: Yes, WWF went there decades ago and 3 years before Kris Statlander was born or even a thought :blhal:

During a dark match in the Summer of 1992, there was a newcomer called Relampago (meaning Lightning). This was actually KONNAN (he was briefly The Latin Fury before this) in one of his ONLY appearances in the WWF. There is no promo nor commentary. He uses a lot of Lucha Libre moves that the crowd just was in awe about because this style really wasn't a thing in the WWF and with limited viewership to other wrestling Federations on TV (looking at magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated would help cause that's how I learned a lot of wrestling stuff that wasn't on TV!). So watch this match up as the ref takes off his gear then he faces Duane Gill YEARS before he became Gillberg :o

So Konnan had a very short stint in the WWF (he went back to Mexico and still was El Relámpago meaning The Lightning). however WWF kept the gimmick around. So the New Orient Express secretly disbanded and Pat Tanaka left. Kato aka Paul Diamond was still wrestling as Kato here and there at house shows. So after Konnan's departure they repackaged him as The Comet Kid :smsmile: Here you can see there's been some improvements and you can tell that this guy is NOT the same guy that played Relampago :shock:

Note: When the video begins listen to Gorilla & Heenan talking about Bob Backlund coming back at 43 years old...that was considered an old veteran back then in wrestling...look at how times have changed now :o

Soon after the Comet Kid became Max Moon :smgrin: So here's a deluxe video which your gonna wanna watch this. First is a great promo of Ric Flair & Bret Hart during their brief feud. Then one of Max Moon's first matches happens. At 2:25 look at the Mother and her Son...she looks at him like what do you think about him and while the kid is astounded by the wrestler. I love looking at how the crowds were back then as I said in My 93 Special. People were still surprised and in awe about this stuff and I seriously miss how people were then :roll: Moon tries to act with his jet pack by hopping up the step then Moon has a good bout with Brian Costello. Moon also has a short promo within the match. Also you'll see Doink the Clown in the crowd in one of his first appearances as he was just known as "The Clown" and yes that is Matt Borne :!: Then after that we see WWF Wrestling on the Sega Genesis for the first time ever and the Ultimate Warrior is there then Mean Gene conducts a very special interview with Ric Flair :!:

So as a bonus here's the first main event ever on the first Monday Night Raw ever! See, this is one of the reasons why 93 was important. Moon is going after Shawn Michaels' Intercontinental Title in his biggest match!

After that Moon had a good time at the WWF 93 Royal Rumble and was on TV now & then and at house shows but did nothing major fading away. Soon he left and reunited with Pat Tanaka as Badd Company once more on the Independent scene and became a top team in the very early days of ECW :o Well, there's that one about Paul Diamond and the Max Moon character PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:06 pm

I had no idea about Konnan. I've heard of Max Moon only from the WWE Encyclopedia I got years ago. What ridiculously garish costume, but seems pretty on point for that era of wrestling. Yikes.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:22 am

Yes, it is some story there. His costume looked ok to Me...I liked the blue color scheme they/he had going on there. Oh the Wild Samoans & Captain Lou...yep that's Roman's Father right there :shock:

Here's Damien Demento...he was something else and he too also debuted in 1992 :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:40 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 am

Yep, the former Headshrinker & Street Tough Rikishi Fatu, The Usos's daddy and Afa's son & Sika's nephew and The Rock's Cousin. I liked his inspiration of his great cousin Yokozuna. Yes, this angle was something back then.

Here's Shane Douglas during his short time in the WWF in 1990. After he competed in the fine 1991 WWF Royal Rumble, he went to WCW. There's a short promo of Douglas within this short match. This bout happen right after the great WWF Survivor Series 90, listen to what Heenan says about The Undertaker...he calls him CAIN :o Yes, that wasn't a mistake...for a very brief time The Undertaker was called Kaine The Undertaker....amazing isn't it :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I may elobaorte on this sometime later ;)

Tomorrow I'll have a WWF promo when Shane came back to the WWF in 1995 and became The Dean ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:40 pm

I've heard that about Taker. Shane Douglas did look a lot like Mr Perfect back then.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:24 am

OK then :) Gosh, that was some Larry Zbyszko promo. He was really calling it there :shock: He was one of the last of the true old school wrestlers. I recall AWA on ESPN. Vinnie Mac took AWA over and then formed a partnership with ESPN. ESPN still had classic AWA wrestling on years after that however. In fact I believe that last time was (that I saw anyway in My region) in around 2011 or so.

OK, Shane Douglas left WWF to go to WCW in early 1991...in 1993 he became the Franchise then he left ECW in 1995 and went back to the WWF and became Dean Douglas. I really liked his character but he was only there a few months, it was too soon IMO before he really got started. His biggest moment was when he won the IC title via forfeit due to Shawn Michaels being mugged outside a nightclub in Syracuse, NY on October 14, 1995. Unfortunately he lost it that same night to Razor Ramon at In Your House :roll: I really liked his promo vignettes. I found them very smart and different :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc