Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:39 am

Yes, it was different. That is something how Neidhart didn't have his iconic goatee yet :shock: Something how Dutch comes in and they fight and he throws out Neidhart right out the door while he turns and looks :o That's true, Mantell is a Vietnam War vet, he's as legit as they come and that was a pretty good promo there ;)

Here's this one when Jeff Jarrett teamed with Jerry Lawler :) It was something that Lawler was feuding with his own son too :o

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:27 pm

Tale as old as time, lol.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:31 am

The Sting-Flair rivalry was just a great as the Hogan-Macho feud...arguably even better. This promo was good. Thsi was 1988...Arn & Tully weren't The Brainbusters yet!

Here's JJ from 1990...he's with the Southern Rockers...both would jump ship to the WWF in 93...TSR would become Well Dunne!

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm

Wow, crazy. I barely recognized Timothy Well there. I remember Well Dunn was a pretty good team but they became jobbers and it was pretty crazy because they got jobbed to heels on several occasions.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:39 pm

Never heard of the Southern Rockers. For a second I thought that was Shawn Michaels.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am

That was a good Rockers & Hercules promo there :) The Southern Rockers were a very good team, very underrated. They were Rex King/Timothy Well and Steve Doll/Steven Dunn. Doll/Dunn is the one you thought was HBK. I always thought King/Well looked like a cross between Scott Steiner & Bill Maher. They also wrestled as Simply Devine.

Unfortunately both wrestles are no longer with us. King/Well died in 2012 and was only 55 while Doll/Dunn past away in 2009 and was only 48. Steven Doll was his real name. Like I said in My Yo, Do You Remember 1993 special, they were stuck feuding with the Smoking Gunns (which of course the Gunns slowly went somewhere) and Well Dunn went no where. They weren't even given a wrestling music theme. I have always thought ever since I saw them back in 93 that sucked...they lasted as Well Dunn in the WWF from 93 - 95. Here's this bonus match when they were Well Dunn in the WWF :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:17 am

Hmm, yeah those were all the years I wasn't paying attention.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:14 am

Tito was such a good talent and had a great physique. Yes, there was tons of times I heard Jesse say about "Chico" Santana in his matches way back when and Gorilla would say to Ventura...his name is Tito.

OK, well I spoke of that Well Dunn went no where after their feud with the Smoking Gunns. I liked the the Gunns. I thought it was really cool how they were dressed, had their revolvers and went on location in their Promo Vignettes, I starting to getting into Old West stuff around this time (though really it was always there with Me) so they were up My alley. This is The Smoking Gunns in their debut Promo Vignette :!:

Here's a quote from My Yo, Do You Remember 1993 special :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Well Dunn & The Smoking Gunns: These two new teams were a treat for Me as I had only saw one of them in the wrestling mags like PWI. Timothy Well & Steven Dunn were the Southern Rockers from the USWA as you saw in the My special prolog which was cool to see them on TV. I thought they were a really good team that never went anywhere. Now I never had seen Billy & Bart before, I thought they were neat and a new kind of a cowboy gimmick compared to guys like The Blackjacks, Bob Orton, Outlaw Ron Bass & Barry Windham. I loved how they did their six-shooters/revolvers in the ring actually shooting blanks. They were over with the crowd within an instant and would remain fan favorites for a long time to come!

Unfortunately Well Dunn never had any hype of any kind, they were one of those teams that just appeared out of nowhere and they didn't even have theme music and this was during the time when it was the standard for that most competitors would have their own music by extremely underrated composer Jim Johnston. However it was the complete opposite for The Smoking Gunns as they had a a really cool on location in the desert of Texas vignette.

The Smoking Gunns quickly became a fan favorite by the kids but really the women were the ones that really like them. Babes' fave of the duo was Billy which even to this day I question why :? He didn't work out as much as Bart nor did he have that hero look yet he was the one always got the attention. If these women from back then still watch him today in AEW and see how huge his physique is and young he still looks at 59, I wonder what they think :? :batconfused: :smgasp: :wwshock:

These "Texans" would face Well Dunn many times for months testing each other first before they went ahead to face jobbers and higher level teams of this growing tag team division. Their first confrontation would be a no contest...

but ultimately the Gunns would be the victors of most their matches through their off & on rivalry for the next year or so taking flight that they were the next up and comers while Well Dunn was stuck in limbo for a couple more years :roll:

So as I mentioned in My quote, it was a sort of feeling out process of what new team would be a contender in avery stacked tag team division which 93 - 96 really had some great tag team action. Here's this bonus video. You see Well Dunn as they come out to no music and they had no hype whatsoever. While not exactly jobbers, they just became a lower card team that just didn't win against main teams. They only appeared in one WWF PPV and that was the WWF 95 Royal Rumble...at least they had that. In this match is one of the matches I featured in My quote. You'll hear the Gunns' cool theme and see them used their six-shooting revolvers...like I said, they were blanks, it was similar like they do at the old west re-enactment shows that I went to but they stopped that for safety reasons due to the concerns of the Brandon Lee killing a while back in 93 which was a shame cause it made them more exciting & real. Also look how they used a double-team piledriver...I loved that maneuver but they stopped using that too. Here's this bonus bout :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:40 pm

It really is unfair how great Billy Gunn looks these days. If you would've asked me which DX member was still wrestling in a major company in 2024, he wouldn't have been my first guess. Or second. Or third, probably.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:41 am

Yes it is PB, that's one of the reasons why I made a picture of that. I try to do the details as much as I can ;) No, I wouldn't...HHH would be the one, now look at him. There is a ton of guys that's 60 or even younger out there that doesn't even look half as good as him just not in wrestling or anywhere in entertainment but in regular locally civilization.

That was a great Peter Maivia promo back from 1977. He passed away too early at only 45 in 1982 :roll: Yesterday I posted the special WWE Press Event - Wrestlemania 40 XL Kickoff that was in Las Vegas. I was actually surprised how exciting it was. I don't know if you seen it already PB but this may determine if your Family is your gonna watch Wrestlemania or not this year. Now the big reason WHY I'm saying this is because there was a huge thing between The Rock & Roman Reigns and they show their entire FAMILY TREE on the Titan Tron and Peter Maivia was at the top because Peter Maivia is the Rock's Grandfather hence why he was Rocky Maivia when he first started out in the WWF in 1996. Cody Rhodes talks about his family too which I love where this is going because it's all about family here. Here's the link to the special spotlight I made here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post50822.html#p50822

OK, to continue the promo you posted PB, here's Superstar Billy Graham's promo to counteract Maivia's :)

NOTE: Peter never won the WWWF/WWF Championship nor did he ever win any title there however he did win many championships in the NWA however.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc