Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Toy Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:40 am

Yeah, I used to see commercials for lot's of Canadian chains when we had basic cable, that I always wanted to try. Or when WWOR out of New York would have Carvel Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale commercials. Weren't any Carvels around here.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:44 am

How about that ;) Oh man that Atari Lynx. I never had one but kinda always wanted it. This actually came out about the same time Nintendo's Game Boy did in 1989...35 years ago this year and it was in color...this predated Sega's Game Gear that was in color...Nintendo didn't update their Game Boy to color for years :shock: Now that was some great portable/mobile gaming and that was a young Spider-Man :o

Here's this Steak 'n Shake Commercial :lol:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:07 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:27 am

WOW, I never seen that SNK NEO-GEO commercial. That was awesome how they eliminated the competition :o Now I never had one but I have some of their great games. I'm grateful that I experienced them. Their on PS4, XBOX ONE & Switch. Their remastered by HAMSTER. Hopefully kids today wanna play these classics :) If your interested you can go to their page and keep up with'em. There's a lot of history there and their page looks decent as well :)

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/title_list_aa.htm

Here's this Steak 'n Shake commercial of their Chili 3- Way & Chili 5-Way. My Grandma loved their Chili and I did too :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:35 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 am

The 7800 was a decent system with OK games. I started trying out the 7800 games on my Evercade and they're actually pretty decent. Way more advanced graphically and gameplay wise to the old 2600 games. I think the main problem was the American made games on the Atari weren't very dynamic compared to the Japanese made games on the NES and SEGA Genesis. The quality of the American made games, too, were not great. It's the same with the Commodore 64. Like the games are OK for a historical look but the majority of the library is subjectively not that fun and in some cases poorly programmed and barely resembled a game. Like many were so glitchy and hard to play even for old standards. It would have really good graphics but then it was nearly impossible to get through the first level on many of these games because the level design and difficulty was so ridiculous, it just wasn't fun to me.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:25 am

The Atari Lynx was surprisingly advanced for it's time being a handheld, the graphics were pretty good and being full color. The game play was also a lot better than a lot of the older Atari games. I think though partly due to their complacency in being #1 and having no competition, getting their butts kicked by SEGA and Nintendo, it was too late as their brand was already falling out of favor, kind of unfairly because the Lynx had some decent titles that I'm still discovering now through the Evercade. But you know how people make up their minds about a brand once the cool new toy comes onto the scene, it's hard for the old kings to regain their thrones once unseated.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:36 am

That's a cool NEO-GEO commercial. When I was growing up, the NEO-GEO was always the rich kid's system. Nobody I knew had it but it was one of those legendary things. I never got to try most of these games out until much later on when their libraries were available on other home systems later on. By this, I mean the actual NEO-GEO versions ported onto PS2, XBox, etc. Not ones that were native ports like Fatal Fury on the SNES, etc. Now with all the mini console craze, I got some of the SNK NEO-GEO Minis and Arcade Stick Pros which offer up a lot of cool NEO-GEO arcade quality gaming action like the Metal Slug library, Samurai Shodown, King of the Fighters, Fatal Fury and the more obscure. Really worth a look. You can get a NEO-GEO Mini for $59 US after a $6 coupon on Amazon right now that's packed with 40 arcade games. Many of these are the same games that people with far deeper pockets than mine are buying and selling for up to $10,000 on eBay right now.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:44 am

I would say the ColecoVision looked graphically as impressive (sometimes more so) than the NES but it was lacking in that the controller was too complicated to use has it had that telephone like thing with the slip on covers (cool to look at now but kind of weird to use even back then) and same goes for the Intellivision. The other thing was the gameplay on many of the games, they were still very much arcade-sy and didn't have an end goal. That's what NES had going for it. It developed games like Final Fantasy and Super Mario Bros. which had broken up levels and stages that progressed in difficulty and you felt a sense of accomplishment and the game had an ending, a final boss, etc. Many of the games on the Western-centric consoles were still of the quarter muncher mentality of high score chasers and endless repetitive gameplay. Their strength was that they were games you could pop in for 5 minutes to burn time and switch off with no consequences but that was pretty much 99% of the Atari, Intellivision and ColecoVision library and to some extent, the same with the Amiga and Commodore 64. Sure, you had a lot of those on the NES and Master System, too, but they also had the Marios, the Sonics and the Final Fantasies and Phantasy Stars on top of the sports games and the Pac-mans and Space Invader clones.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:29 am

Acid - Thanks for your comments there, that was very good :)

PB - That was a cool Sega Master System commerial and I never seen that before. Those were some days of gaming :)

Here's this Steak 'n Shake commercial from 1999, 25 years ago this year :shock: I love this Chili one...now you know which is which :o :lol:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions