Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:58 am

Yes it was special. That was some Hogan promo there. Now here we go with WWF Survivor Series 1988, this year mark's it 35th anniversary :o Look at this pic, it tells you the whole match card :)

I couldn't find the Demolition & Powers of Pain Survivor Series 88 promos however here's a couple bonus substitutes. Here Baron Von Raschke leading the very brief babyfaces The Powers of Pain at SummerSlam 1988, they even had a great theme as I have pointed out before which after they turned heel they quit using it which I have always thought it was such a mistake :o

This was after WWF Survivor Series 1988 when Powers of Pain joined Master Fuji and Demolition became the fan favorites now :shock:

Warrior & Beefcake's Team!

vs.

Honky Tonk Man & Outlaw Ron Bass' Team!

First Honky has been feuding with the Warrior since SummerSlam 88 when lost the Intercontinental Championship

IMPORTANT NOTE: Just a little while ago Gunther beat HTM's all-time record :o

Now here's the team!

Jake the Snake's team (not present)!

vs.

The Heenan Family!

Survivor Series 1988 Report with The Mega Powers vs. The Million Dollar Team!

and here's a brief clip of The Bird-man vs. The Red Rooster plus of The Mega Powers match :!:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:15 pm

I miss when the teams mattered. It's been a longtime since the 5 on 5 match felt like anything of importance. Dangerous Danny Davis, lol. Funny, I just saw the Rythm and Blues Valentine with black hair and Honky Tonk Man figures at Target today.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:26 am

Yes, it was fun when the teams mattered. That's cool, I'll never forget when I first saw the Hasbro Honky Tonk Man at Toy Chest in 1990 that I showcase before, such a great moment. We never could get the Rhythm & Blue version but the blond version yes ;) That was a great Hogan promo...yes the Trump Towers...two years in row :o Yes, I loved it too, I loved as much as the Royal Rumble if not more because there was so many friendships & enemies that was new to see even if it was just for that on eight. I mean would eve think to see Hogan & Koko together :roll: It was so cool. Now WWE is doing War Games again but gosh it's going to awesome, the women's match is definitely going to be fun this Sunday :wwwink:

Here's a quote from you me because I have always loved this promo, it's one of My favorites and one of the best ever IMO ;)

packerbacker180 wrote:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
That was such a great promo from the WWF Survivor Series 89. I recall it like yesterday when We rented the event from Verna's Mr. T's Video Rental Store, I was so excited about that when it happen when it was so fun seeing wrestling like that. All of them shined especially Hogan & The Warrior but My fav of the bunch was Demolition and what they said because they fought each other at the 89 Royal Rumble because Ax drew #1 and Smash drew #2...that stuck with them for nearly a year and this was such a time, again 89 was a good year :)

The Dream Team!

vs. The Enforcers but unfortunately i couldn't find promo or interview, may later.

Roddy's Rowdies!

vs.

Rude's Brood!

The 4 x 4's!

vs.

The King's Court - Look at that "The Widow Maker" Barry Windham in one of his only appearances during this time :o

The Ultimate Warriors!

vs.

The Heenan Family - Andre is really something here!

The Hulkamaniacs!

vs.

The Million dollar Team - There's Zeus - second video has bonus Heenan Family!

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:55 am

It was something, the combination of teams. Demolition as good guys. It's funny, back then I thought they were so cool, tey still are really, but they weren't exactly in the best of shape but it wasn't something I really recognized as a kid, lol. They were still badass. Like I said before, I never really saw much of the NWA as a kid, so I had no idea who the Four Horsemen were or where the Brainbusters came from. I was never overly a fan of them in the WWF but that was really because I had no context of who they were prior to their arrival. There was no google search, lol, and I didn't really read the wrestling magazines enough to really know who they were.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:28 am

Happy Turkey Day :) That was a fantastic interview there with Macho 8 Liz. That was truly the beginning of Sherri being with Randy. She was so great.

Oh Demolition were awesome, they didn't need big muscles, they were just big and they are truly the ones that made Me love wrestling and became a fan 24/7 for life! Now see I wanted to learn and see what else was going on because I knew there was more than WWF, NWA/WCW so whenever I had a a chance I'd see & get those wrestling magazines and still Prefer physical over digital and as I've said before, you cannot always rely on the internet so if it goes out you don' want to be SOL, it's always best to have has a copy in-hand whether it be a book, movie, game, CD, whatever ;) Yes, seeing the Brainbusters was cool then but now when you see their history there & elsewhere it becomes even better. Now in that match with the King's Court, "The Widowmaker" Barry Windham was replaced by The Canadian Earthquake as he was going back to the NWA/WCW. Coincidentally with the Heenan Family, Tully Blanchard left the WWF just before the event and it was like a mystery where did he go, did he & Arn split :? Bobby Heenan replaced him at the last minute. Tully was also going back to the NWA/WCW and then Anderson soon followed and the Four Horsemen was back together with Ric Flair. That was great but it really messed up the atmosphere of the WWF there for a while without them because they did so much there.

So now here we go with arguably My favorite WWF Survivor Series of ever of all-time and that's the 1990 edition! Everybody and everything was so good :)

First here's an an Ad :o

The Ultimate Warriors! Look at the Warrior, hardly any face paint :shock:

vs.

The Perfect Team! This is the time Demolition is wearing masks!

The Vipers!

vs.

The Visionaries! Arguably My favorite team on the whole card ;)

Here is a quote from My Vintage Action Figure Topic, if you never seen My great topic then head on over there, I have tons of content including My complete one of My Visionaries seen below :batsmile:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:SPECIAL BONUS GALLERY!

For a long time back in the day and even well pass it, I always pretended that Arzon & Leoric were like the WWF's Jacques & Raymond The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers :o

WHAT :o :? :?: What in the blazes is this :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: So 1987 came and went and 1990 arises to a whole new decade of promise. Hasbro's Visionaires has sadly already been a forgotten property, LJN folds and the WWF Superstars of Wrestling along with'em and is taken over by Acclaim. Hasbro now get's the WWF action figure licence and at the WWF 1990 Survivor Series there was an awesome team comprised of team captain "The Model" Rick Martel, The Warlord and "The Mighty" Hercules & "Pretty" Paul Roma of Power & Glory and what was their team name :? Why it was THE VISIONAIRES :smhuh: :batconfused: :wwlol: I don't know how many people saw and noticed then it then or even now because I don't recall anybody ever talking about this strange coincidence :?:

The Dream Team!

vs.

The Million Dollar Team!

Here's My quotes from My precious topics, this is always important to Me ;)

At the WWF Survivor Series 89, Akeem was replaced by Bad News Brown...

Survivor Series 89 - 1.jpg

At the WWF Survivor Series 90, Bad News Brown would be replaced by a Mystery Partner... that would be The Undertaker which would truly changed of what gimmicks were possible to have in wrestling I mean if you can have an undead grave digging outlaw you can have any kind of persona and boy would the future prove that :?: :blbat: :blww: :blsm: :blhal: :blbaf: :blmm:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Mean Mark & The Undertaker: Around the time of WM6, he said to Me, Hydester, wouldn't it be something that if there would be a wrestler called "The Undertaker" :?: I don't remember My response, I think I said something like yep it would be. Well, months later at the WWF Survivor Series 1990 (which was huge) the mystery partner for Ted Dibiase would be named "The Undertaker" :? He flipped out and so did Me & MiMi. If that wasn't enough he was Mean Mark Callous and we're like that'a Mean Mark from WCW...it was surreal at the time and I remember how it was and still can't believe that My Grandpa PoPo said this, it's like he either knew without knowing it or somebody heard him and took his idea :o :? :?: :batconfused: :smhuh: :wwhuh:

During this great time in November I was at My Mom's boyfriend Jasper's Family's house for Thanksgiving and I was talking to his Nephews cause they were big fans too and We were talking about who the Mystery Partner could be...this was a special time never to be repeated but I am quite thankful for this moment :)

Survivor Series 90 - 1.jpg
[/quote]

So with those great moments known here is The Undertaker's iconic debut and this is one of the things made 1990 so darn fun in wrestling if 1990 wasn't fun enough, if you can have a dead man in wrestling you can have you anything and boy The Undertaker sure trended the unreal character wrestlers to soon follow in the 90s ahead :blbat:

The Alliance!

vs.

The Mercenaries - This was great, I loved the heel Slaughter! Look, there's Pat Tanaka, 6 years later he would have one of the best themes in wrestling in 96 then it would be given to Goldberg!

The Hulkamaniacs!

The Natural Disasters! Look at that, three members of the Dungeon of Doom 5 years later :o

Back then I thought that the Gobbledy Gooker was OK and really I think it still is. Too bad people this day are still harsh about it :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: It was built up fine and hyped up far better than most of today's angles. MLB and other sports have their mascots, why couldn't wrestling :?:

The Goobledy Gooker!

There was also at WWF Survivor Series 90 a special "Grand Finale Match of Survival" which was a three-on-five Survivor Series elimination match that featured the survivors from the previous matches. I really loved this and I thought it was a tremendous concept that was so apropos to be the last match of the entire card. This was the first, last and the only one that ever took place, I've been bummed about that ever since then :roll:

Survivor Series 90 - 2.jpg
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:56 pm

That's one of the last PPVs I remember watching as a kid. By then I was kind of losing interest.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:54 am

That was something there :) I see. I thought stuff was so great during this time and still do ;)

Here's WWF Survivor Series 91! This one was different and kinda the beginning trend of future events with additional bouts including titles matches,

There was some team promos i couldn't find.

Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker! This was awesome since they fought each other in Suburban Commando now in real life :o

SS91 report with Undertaker promo plus more!

The Undertaker beats Hulk Hogan :o

Too bad these team never happen, I was always bummed about that :roll:

Darn shame Big Bully Busick left before the event :roll:

Roddy Piper's Team!

vs.

Ric Flair's team! the thug is the Million Dollar Man had to take the backseat for Flair...Flair was only there a couple months before and it was like he was there for years! Amazing how it was despite he was from another Federation. He was Real World's Champion yes that's the same WCW belt he had in WCW...they actually did that then :o This was My favorite theme of Flair's too :) Oh too bad Steamboat left, we never did get a iconi Flie & Steamboat rivaley in the WWF :roll:

Sid's Team vs. I.R.S.'s Team! Shame Sid got injured and didn't make the match :roll:

This Tuesday is Texas was a big bonus PPV the following week!

Jake vs. Macho!

The Undertaker as the WWF Champion plus Hogan!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:18 pm

Yeah, that one I don't really remember so I'm pretty sure I stopped really watching by then. Or at least my dad stopped paying for PPVs, lol.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:00 am

Either way it's s shame cause I believe you missed the debut of Flair, Slaughter being a babyface again and you just saw the The Undertaker beat Hogan thanks to Flair and the first and only ever of Tuesday in Texas. Well, there is no better time to catch up than now ;)

Next up is WWF Survivor Series 92. Now this was a great event and I loved this time but they really went against what the event was all about as they only had 1 SS team match and the rest were regular ones. I recall way back as I've talked about it before, Televideo in K-Mart plaza was the only video place in My area that had WWF Survivor Series 92 on VHS as I wanted to see it really bad :)

First Jimmy Garvin from the NWA/WCW made 1 lonely appearance in the WWF right before the 1992 Survivor Series :o Well, many people didn't know this unless you were there in the event. This short clip was released not that long ago. Remember the WWF Wrestlmania The Album that I showcased in My collection and on the first Wrestlemania track there is a mysterious voice there saying "I said are you ready for The Survivor Series" right in the beginning of it :?: Well THAT'S HIM! Many people didn't know it till just recently :o

Here he IS :!:

Here's this promo which this is actually one of the most important promos you could ever watch :? Why :batconfused: :wwhuh: :smhuh: Because, this was on the last WWF Saturday Night's Main Event until 2006 when everything changed :shock: This promo is THE START of the Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels feud that we all know today :o Flair beat Savage for the WWF Title, then all of a sudden Bret beta him for the Championship...HBK beat The Bulldog for the Intercontinental Championship as he was on his way back to the U.K. and then WCW. At the end listen to Bobby, he get's the scoop about the big Ultimate Maniacs vs. Flair & Ramon tag match as one side will not have a partner :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

OK, keep what the Brain said on your mind...

Here's The great Ultimate Maniacs vs. Ric Flair & Razor Ramon. I sometimes think back about how this match would have been if it actually happen :roll: It was good yet a shame The Warrior left and Mr. Perfect turned face and join Macho instead. Also, I recall this when Macho lost the world title to Flair then he lost to Bret Hart about a week later at house shows...this was just months before the very first Monday Night Raw :o

Ric Flair & Razor Ramon with Mr. Perfect!

With The Warrior leaving WWF, Randy get's a new partner and this was great!

Flair & Razor are enemies of Mr. Perfect now and Flair cuts one of the best promos!

OK...I couldn't find much I looking for because Yokozuna, The Headshrinkers & Doink all made their PPV debuts at the great event! Now here is MY FAVORITE of it all...I never posted any promos of Nailz yet but now is the time :o Nailz debuted in the Summer of 92, at first I thought he was Steve Austin with the short blonde hair but realized nope that isn't him...he's way bigger! Listen to his voice, I have always loved his voice. This fan-made promo trailer is epic...I absolutely love this one :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:05 am

That stuff was so good there especially Nailz but how about that..Jimmy "Jam" Garvin there. Here we go with WWF Survivor Series 93, this happened 30 years ago this year :o It was back to true form in one of the most patriotic times ever in wrestling and this is one of My favorites :)

Here's the reveal of the Four Doinks...this was Matt Borne's last appearance as Doink however The Doink match at the Survivor Series 93 was great ;)

The All-Americans! Lex Luger, The Steiner Brothers & the Undertaker! notice how many guys from WCW has been in the Survivor Series since 89 :shock:

First thungs first, Tatanka was going to be part of it but Ludvig Borga ended his undefeated streak and Yokozuna made sure he's stay out of the match :!: I loved Borga & Yokozuna :)

Now here is his replacement :blbat:

vs.

The Foreign Fanatics! This is arguably My favorite Survivor Series team of all-time, WWF Champion Yokozuna, Ludvig Borga, The Quebecers & Crush :!:

There was plenty more like Owen Hart turning heel, HBK & Bret fighting again, Macho Man replacing Mr. Perfect a year later after he replaced Macho's partner The Ultimate Warrior a year before plus more :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I'm going to show off most of it in a special huge 93 year spotlight soon :o Next up is WWF Survivor Series 94, that's the one with Chuck Norris :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc