Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: 31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:14 am

Oh, that's neat that they used that legend. I actually saw that Powerwolf song yesterday but didn't know it tied into the show.

For today's Monster o the Day let's head up to the Great White North...

The origins of this urban legend come from a 1979 article in the Toronto newspaper The Sunday Sun. The article, titled "Tunnel monster of Cabbagetown?," evokes some pretty interesting imagery.

The article purports that a Toronto resident of the Cabbagetown district named Ernest was searching for a missing kitten when he came across a tunnel near his apartment building. He encountered a monster roughly 10 feet in and was so shocked and frightened by it that he fled. The article notes that “he saw a living nightmare he’ll never forget.”

The creature was so unbelievable to Ernest that he barely told anyone about it. He said to the reporter, “If I tell you what I saw, people will think I was drunk or crazy. They’ll never believe me.”

"It was pitch black in there... I saw it with my flashlight. The eyes were orange and red, slanted... It was long and thin, almost like a monkey... three feet long, large teeth, weighing maybe 30 pounds with slate-grey fur."

Sounds like Ernest was...scared stupid.

Personally, I think the scariest thing in Toronto are delusional Leafs fans.

The monster could've been a Memegwesi creatures from Native American lore that live in or near rivers and lakes. They’re mischievous pranksters and thieves, and they'll tip your canoe if you don’t give them a proper offering, such as a pinch of tobacco.

Myth says that although they steal from fishing nets, they can also be helpful. According to stories, they live in hollowed-out rocks, are about 3 feet tall, are very hairy, and have high-pitched, nasal voices. Perhaps centuries of living in Toronto’s underground rivers has turned these simple Memegwesi into subterranean predators.

What was it? Like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:33 am

Yes it was neat. I know the Memegwesi but I really never studied them.

Today's entry is the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblins :o I know these very well, their in most of My books and I've seen many different documentaries about them. This picture on Wiki is big, it has most of the info you need to know and in fact this very picture is one that is also in one My books ;)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:28 pm

I've seen a few specials on that story.

For today's Monster of the Day let's do something more recent...

Slenderman is a notable legendary figure for two main reasons. He's the world's first mythical creature spawned on the Internet, and there's no question as to whether or not he really exists. Slenderman was created by Floridian Eric Knudsen in 2009 on the Something Awful web forum, where people doctor photos and then write stories about them. Knudsen's photo depicted a tall, willowy, fuzzy figure. He didn't initially write much about it, but hinted at its evil character.

Fellow forum posters added details, as did Knudsen. Over time Slenderman spread onto other forums and his description began to morph. Sometimes he had multiple arms, other times none. Sometimes he killed his victims, other times his followers killed people for him. Often, you never knew what happened when he caught someone – just that it likely wasn't pretty. Although Knudsen eventually stopped developing the Slenderman character, it lives on through the Internet and its fans, many of whom are teenagers. Tragically, in 2014 two 12-year-old girls almost killed a friend by stabbing her 19 times, in the hopes of pleasing Slenderman, who they thought was real [sources: Biggs, Dewey]. That's the most terrifying Slenderman story of all.

Beginning in 2014, a moral panic occurred over the Slender Man after readers of his fiction were connected to several violent acts, particularly a near-fatal stabbing of a 12-year-old girl in Waukesha, Wisconsin.[5] The stabbing inspired the documentary Beware the Slenderman, which was released in 2016.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:22 am

Oh yes, the Slenderman. I didn't know about him till I saw previews for the film. I researched it and saw about the murders and I'm like My goodness that is horrible. So I saw the film at the show and it was ok. There was some teenagers behind M laughing at the film and I'm like you people think that this is funny :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

So Mine is this one...The Tokoloshe :!:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 pm

Interesting and creepy.

Pressed for time tonight so the Monster of the Day shall be...

Ludwig the Bloodsucker was an American mythical figure and possible urban legend in New York City during the mid-to late 19th century. A longtime Bowery character, he was described as having vampire-like qualities. He was a "squat, swarthy German, with an enormous head crowned with a shock of bristly black hair. Huge bunches of hair grew out of his ears, and his unusual appearance was accentuated by another tuft which sprouted by the end of his nose" and supposedly had "hair growing out of every orifice".[1] Ludwig was said to have preyed upon drunken customers of barroom brawls near Bismark Hall and the House of Commons and is claimed to have "quaffed human blood as if it were wine".

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:16 am

Ludwig the Bloodsucker :blbat:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:50 am

Today's monster in the Emela Ntouka: Killer of the Elephants :o

This is actually one of My favorite Cryptids which I love the African Cryptids. Is this really a surviving Ceratopsian, a new specie of Rhino or something else :?: These twos video explain pretty much everything you need to know ;)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:55 pm

Never heard of that creature before.

Today's Monster of the Day takes us to Montana!

The Ioway, and several other Native American indigenous tribes in the region, called the creature Shunka Warak’in, which translates into carrying off dogs, because it would often sneak into indigenous camps at night to steal their dogs.The first documented sightings of the Shunka Warak’in by white settlers began in the 1880’s when members of the Hutchins family settled down in the Madison River Valley, in the lower part of Montana. Not long after the Hutchins settled into the area, they, along with several other locals, began to encounter a strange wolf like animal.

SOomething has been preying on domesticated animals across the plains of Montana for centuries. It has been given many names over the years, below most of which burn angry red squiggly lines when typed into Microsoft Word: Shunka warak’in. Ringdocus. Guyasticutus. But it’s also been called the Beast and the Rocky Mountain hyena,

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:42 am

Oh yes, the Shunka Warak’in, I know it a bit, I believe it's a hybrid between a surviving prehistoric specie and a modern one.

My Monster today is The Nandi Bear! This one really intrigues Me and has since I first knew about it long ago.

Nandi Bear 1.jpg

Is it a surviving Atlas Bear :?:

The Atlas Bear 1.jpg

This guy's video is short and explains most of what I already know and it's good info for the novice. It's amazing it ONLY eats the brains of it's prey :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Another one that's knew to me. Unlike today's....

Monster of the Day!

The legend of the Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp dates back to the summer of 1988 when reports of a strange creature began to surface. Descriptions of the creature ranged from a towering reptilian humanoid to a bipedal lizard-like being. The local community quickly embraced the legend, and it soon became a part of the area’s folklore and popular culture.

According to eyewitness accounts, the Lizard Man is described as a creature standing between 7 and 8 feet tall, with scaly green or brown skin and glowing red or orange eyes. It is often depicted as having a muscular build, long arms, and three-toed feet. Some witnesses have reported the presence of a long, powerful tail and sharp teeth, adding to the creature’s fearsome image.

Since the emergence of the Lizard Man legend in 1988, several reported sightings of the creature have intrigued and perplexed witnesses in and around Scape Ore Swamp. While skeptics dismiss these encounters as misidentifications or hoaxes, the consistency of certain details across multiple accounts adds an air of mystery to the phenomenon.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions