Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Experiences: Share Them!

Wanna talk about your LJN Hulkster or that weird, skinny body Samoa Joe TNA figure? Maybe you've got some cool wrestling swag? Step up to the gorilla position and snap in to it, oh yeah!

Re: Wrestling Experiences: Share Them!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:49 pm

Ok, yeah, I know Maki Itoh from AEW. And the US wrestlers you named.

Strong filters, huh? I guess I can't write Konosuke Takesh1ta, then. That might be the most unfortunate Japanese last name to have, lol.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:43 am

I wouldn't be like that about the camera, looks good to Me so be happy with what you got. I find Japanese names interesting as well as their culture and I love pronouncing them.

I'm still waiting Acid for your event too, I'm sure it was a dandy ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:36 pm

Here's NJPW/Impact Multiverse 2 from this past summer! I wish I had been able to pull some better pics of Momo Kohgo, but I spent her entrance holding up her rally towel. You can see me in this video (left corner near the end)!

Pics under the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:01 am

I wanted to post this earlier that was in the Wrestling Promo Topic but didn't. I thought it was very apropos to place this here :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
Okay, now here's a bit of a little history from Me ;) Remember when I posted My WWF 91 House Show Event :?: I went with My Mom and her boyfriend Kevin at the St. Louis Arena aka The Checker Dome in December 91. Here's My quote :)

Chris Chavis vs. "The Mighty" Hercules Hernandez: So this was the surprise and the whole highlight on the entire card for Me. Power and Glory was disbanded due to Paul Roma leaving the federation. This was never explained on WWF TV. Hercules was still sporting the same P&G attire however and he had longer hair (see the WWF Royal Rumble 92 for an example of that...that event was one of his last matches in the WWF) and seemed to just lose his spunk and became an enhancement talent unfortunately like he was before his P&G days. I don't think he was accompanied by "The Doctor of Style" Slick, I don't remember that. So, days before the event it was a mystery as to whom this Chris Chavis was. I never saw him in Pro Wrestling Illustrated or anything wrestling magazine previously or at the time. Hercules' entrance was first (I loved his theme). So it was time for his mystery opponent to enter the ring and there he was. He looked like a regular guy but really muscular and seemed to be Native American. He was wearing brown trunks and attire. He was giving Hercules a hard time as he showed very little offence. After a few minutes it was over when Chis Chavis used a brain chop then a Samoan drop and the newcomer got the victory.

Winner: Chris Chavis via pinfall.

NOTE #4: Later on in the very early months in 1992, Chis Chavis would be repacked and known as "The Native American" Tatanka that we all know today! When he debuted on TV with the gimmick I was saying to My Grandparents something like this: hey, that's Chris Chavis, he's the new guy I saw at the event Me & Mom went to! I was surprised about the whole thing and I have followed Tatanka ever since :o

Now look at the pic, Chavis looked similar like this as he didn't have the red streak in his hair nor did he wear the white pants either.

That has always been such a memorable thing for Me. Now, fast forward just a bit after that. He had a dark match with Dale Wolfe. The volume is very low. Just ignore that. He was briefly known as War Eagle here so he's going thru a change and no longer his real name. Just look at Chavis as to how he is dressed. This is extremely similar as to how I recall him in person :shock:

Now, here's his first Vignette on TV, he is sort of repackaged kinda like Max Moon was the Comet Kid. He is now known as Tatanka. This is when I was telling My Grandparents, that's Chris Chavis...the new guy I saw in person with Mom & Kevin :shock:

So now here is his official debut as Tatanka in early 1992. Now as cool as War Eagle sounds, I kinda like the name "Tatanka" more as it means "Buffalo". In his debut he fights Pat Tankaka of all people :o I always thought that this was funny...Tatanka vs. Tanaka :lol: While Tanaka was a low carder and wrestled off & on after he & Kato of the Orient Express split up, he really turned into a jobber so it was apropos for Tatanka to debut against him and rank up which this is what I've been talking about that is so lacking in today's wrestling :roll: Notice Tatanka looks much different than he was as War Eagle wearing pants and with a red streak in his hair plus does a war dance and all of that. The fans were really behind him, in fact he was one of the most popular superstars of the time for a couple years :)

Here's SKINNER :!: He was one of the many newcomers in the fun year of 91. He's Steve Keirn. He was really decent. He played a second Doink and was the original one that started NXT as FCW long ago :o I seen Skinner in person at same event I saw Tatanka vs. Virgil. It was really fun. My Mom liked him. My Grandparents not so much. I'm not a fan of gator hunting or any of that crap but that sure made a good jerk A-hole heel though ;) As a side note he did the laying on the ropes before HBK, the Inverted DDT before Sting did his Scorpion Death Drop and the Gator Roll before Luke Harper :shock: He was something :)

packerbacker180 wrote:You can still see guys like Skinner on On Patrol Live every weekend, lol. It's cool you remember seeing him live. My two biggest memories of wrestling as a child was seeing one of Jake the Snake's earliest WWF matches and Lanny Poffo at the same event. I can't recall much else from then, but those two always stuck with me.

Edit: I actually looked at events in Buffalo in the 80s, and this had to be the show in 1986. The timing is about right and both wrestlers appear.

WWF @ Buffalo, NY – Memorial Auditorium – October 11, 1986
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Tiger Chung Lee
Koko B. Ware defeated Steve Lombardi
Kamala defeated Lanny Poffo
Hercules fought Billy Jack Haynes to a draw
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Pedro Morales
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage vs. the Honkytonk Man
The Junkyard Dog defeated Jake Roberts
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Paul Orndorff

Edit 2: Or it was more likely this one since I think I would recall Hogan vs Orndorff.

Jan 23, 1987

Corporal Kirchner defeated Tiger Chung Lee
Koko B. Ware defeated Steve Lombardi
Kamala defeated Lanny Poffo
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Pedro Morales
The Junkyard Dog defeated Jake Roberts
Blackjack Mulligan defeated King Kong Bundy in a Bullrope match
Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) (c) defeated George Steele to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship
Billy Jack Haynes defeated Hercules by DQ

Now I' not sure which it was, but I think more likely the second card. But I could be wrong. Hell, I might've even brought this up before.

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Yes, thank goodness I recall the whole event & time like it was last week...My only problem and that I still have is that I really didn't appreciate that time and think to Myself how cool this was. I was only 10 going on 11 the next month yes but darn it :x Over time I begun to realize about the past and that has always been one of the coolest times i ever had :) Times and just about everything was so much simpler & better then in 91 but I am very thankful that I did experience it :)

OK, NOW THIS IS NEW, NOT A QUOTE...here's this match between Skinner & Virgil from January of 1992. When I saw them fight each other in person in December, 1991, it was extremely like this. The lighting was like this and all of it. As I said about before in My big 91 Live Event, Skinner predated a lot including laying on the ropes like HBK but long before he did it...in this video @ 5:28 you can see him do it :) Now imagine how a 10 year old, almost 11 Brandon was during this time :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Previous

Return to Wrestling Toys & Collectibles