Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: 31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:56 am

Yeah, something's wrong if the Black-eyed Children don't freak you out :o

Today's Monster is The Mothman!

Last Halloween I greatly spotlighted the movie The Mothman Prophecies here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-discussions/cryptozoology-ufos-dinos-mythology-animals-discussion-t1111-90.html

So what is the Mothman. Ever since his appearance in Point pleasant, West Virginia, the horrible Silver Bridge disaster, he's been seen numerous times as a harbinger of bad things to come. Is he a living creature from another dimencion? A angel or demon? An alien? What is he really and there's even more questions are asked about Indrid Cold :o

This creature has been sighted in recent times including Chicago and he's one of the most frighting of all :blbat:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:43 pm

Wow! Talk about coincidence. I was just reading an article last night, so today's Monster of the Day was going to be...

The Chicago Phantom!

The incidents are eerily identical of the mayhem and chaos that surrounded Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the late to mid 1960s. When the legendary Mothman made its first appearance. However the description of the creature in these new reports differ from the Mothman. The following account comes from an anonymous Chicago police officer:

I’m going to tell you about something that happened to me on the 9th of June 29th 2017 in Chicago Illinois. I am reporting this of my own volition and I am wanting to stay anonymous due to the fact that I work for the Chicago Police Department and do not want anybody else to know that I submitted this report. I have been with the Chicago Police Department for over eight and a half years.

The only people who know that I submitted this are my wife, my son who encouraged me to submit this and my partner who also was witness to this incident. I want you to know that I am of a sound mind and health and I don’t want any publicity other than just reporting this incident. I also want you to know that I am not prone to fits a fantasy or hoaxing anything that I seen especially while I am on duty.

On the night of June 29th 2017 at approximately 11:15 p.m. my partner and I were on routine patrol and approaching the intersection West 81st and South Throop in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood of Chicago Illinois. We were flagged down by a group of a people who were pointing up to the top of an apartment building that was on the corner. We pulled over and they immediately started telling us to look up at the building. Many of the people were very frightened and were very excited about seeing what they had seen.

My partner and I look and see a large creature that was approximately six to six and a half feet tall and was very thin, if it had been a human it would have been emaciated. This thing was standing on top of the building and had what look like a pair of very large wings that extended out at least eight to ten feet from tip-to-tip. No discernible features, it just looked like a dark black shadow with wings.

My partner and I both thought it was somebody trying to jump from the building and maybe wearing a costume of some kind. When we both shined our flashlights to try to get a better look at what we were dealing with this thing took off into the air and flew away. At this creature flew away headed in southern direction something sounding like a scream came from it and within the matter of about 5 Seconds this creature was gone into the night. The people who for initially flagged us down had said that many people in the neighborhood had seen this thing for the previous two nights and this just happened to be the only time that it was seen in a stationary place.

We stood there stunned as this thing flew away and disappeared into the night. We stood there and talked to the group of people who flagged us down, taking information down any information regarding previous sightings from the nights before. We initially were doubtful about filing a report because we thought we would be made fun of for seeing Little Green Men. We finally filed a report as we did not want to violate protocol. Nothing was ever said about the report being filed and as of right now it’s been business as usual.

We wanted to file this report because after I told my son the story he went online and showed me that this is not the only sighting of something similar being seen in the city. I showed my partner the day after the sidings and he said that he didn’t want to be involved and as far as he was concerned it was nothing more than a large owl or big bird that was misidentified. My son was the one who encouraged me to file this and do it anonymously to protect my identity.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am

Holy crap, that is a coincidence and that was great PB :o

Here's My monster of the day...The GOROG :!: When I first played this great game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, I had no idea about this gigantic monstrosity :o

Bonus video :!:

NOTE: I loved the Starkiller character, too bad Disney made most of The Force Unleashed story into legends :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:44 pm

I never really played those games, but that sire was a monster.

Today's Monster of the Day is...release the Kraken!

Actually, that's not even what the Kraken was, though I suppose a giant squid wouldn't have been as exciting.

The Kraken is a legendary sea monster of Scandinavian and Norwegian lore, perhaps imagined from sightings of giant squids and octopi. Sailors have discussed giant sea monsters for thousands of years, and Danish historian Erik Pontoppidan described the kraken (as well as sea serpents and mermaids) in detail in his Natural History of Norway (first published in Danish in 1752), claiming the beast was "round, flat, and full of arms" and "the largest and most surprising of all the animal creation." The sea monster is also the subject of Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s poem “The Kraken” (1871).

Of course nowadays, the Kraken have moved to the West Coast.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:36 am

Oh yes the Kraken. While I'm not sure about the Clash of Titans' (81 & 2010) depictions, I believe that the Kraken does exist but it's just a huge Octopus or Squid that hasn't been discovered yet but who knows, anything is possible. That's weird that you chose the Kraken, there's been a creature of a similar nature that has been on My mind for a while now and I was going to post it yesterday but I was running low on time and decided to do it later which the following a project I made sometime ago and I decided to use it here :shock: Today's monster is actually more then one entry in a couple different genres however the big one is none other than the Cthulhu :!:

This monster is created by the turn of the century horror master H.P. Lovecraft. I don't know if nybody knows know him which I have briefly talked about him before when we talked about The Animator. He was a weird & bizarre novelist that lived from 1890 - 1937. Like Edgar Rice Burroughs being the Grandfather of modern Sci-Fi that so few people ever mention, Howard Philips Lovecraft is the true pioneer for today's modern horror. I believe he really had the mind for the beyond :o

Here's his wiki pages for more info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft
https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

I've known H.P. Lovecraft ever since I was a youngster thanks to My Grandpa PoPo when We watched a certain Lovecraft movie that I will present soon and it's monster will be seen in this topic in time because she's one My favorites. H.P. had visions of strange creatures from other dimensions and he had a fascination, a near obsessiveness for tentacled animals such as the Cephalopods like Octopus.

He then came up with Cthulhu :!: A huge humanoid cosmic entity deity who's head is like a Octopus. He's a titan and he was first introduced in his very short story called "The Call of Cthulhu" which was in the American Pulp Magazine Weird Tales in 1928. He is part of the Great Old Ones. Here's some of the first drawings that he made :shock:

As you know, Metallica is My favorite rock/heavy metal band of ever, of all-time. On their great Ride the Lightning album they made a song that was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft which is so good :blbat: This is completely instrumental and you can envision the dark times & era of Lovecraft and see those Lovecraftian Cosmic Entities :blmm:

Isn't that remarkable :?: Now Cthulhu has been said to be quite large and in recent times he is said be absolutely ginormous :!:

This has always been huge to Me. Now in the recent Godzilla: King of the Monsters film, they are depicting the Kaijus as "Titans" and Hollywood is taking the old Greek Mythology & Religious names to them. Many people probably never noticed it since it was on the screen in the background or put 2 & 2 together when they investigated the new monsters even further but the movie makers are doing this on purpose and one of them is actually Baphomet which people is gotta think where their going with this especially in the modern era :o So since there really has been no major movie that features Cthulhu, Legendary & WB may get the rights to Lovecraft and we may finally get that story that has eluded the Godzilla films for many decades :o

If this happen and if Godzilla & Kong are still a team by then I would love to them fight Cthulhu :!:

So while Lovecraft was the true horror master long before the likes of John Carpenter & Stephen King, hardly anybody mentions and talks about him but he's always one I think about :blbat:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:19 am

I know of HP Lovecraft but I can't say I ever read any of his works. And strange things seem to be afoot these days in the world. Makes you wonder.

Today's Monster of teh Day is the demon of Goatman's Bridge

Located between the Texas towns of Denton and Copper Canyon lies an unassuming old bridge — that’s said to be haunted by a demonic legend. Known as Old Alton Bridge or “Goatman’s Bridge,” the humble wooden pass has earned its creepy moniker due to its unsavory past, which includes black magic and murder.

Rumor has it that the Old Alton Bridge is haunted by a half-goat demon with glowing red eyes and a loud snarl. According to local lore, this demonic presence was brought to the bridge by the ghost of a Black goat farmer who was brutally lynched by the Ku Klux Klan there. Some even believe that the bridge is haunted by evil spirits spawned by local occultists who have reportedly performed sacrificial rituals in the woods.

Another version of the famous Goatman’s Bridge legend involves a half-goat, half-man entity that guards the bridge and the forest around it. It’s said that the so-called Goatman can be summoned by knocking on the bridge three times. Witnesses have reported sightings of a goat-like beast with glowing eyes. Others have claimed to hear sounds like hooves galloping on the bridge behind them and a growling voice ordering them to “get off the bridge.”

So beware, or baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad things could happen.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:58 pm

I read a lot of Lovecraft and own a lot of the stuff inspired by his works like Re-Animator and City of the Living Dead as well as a lot of PC games and card/board/table top games like Call of Cthulhu, Arkham Horror, etc..
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:58 am

Acid - Sometimes I feel like I'm so alone in so much because there is so very little conversation about the stuff I like so that's great that your a Lovecraft fan ;)

PB - Oh strange things are afoot, no question about it :o I'm quite familiar with Goat Man Bridge. This is not to be confused with the Goat Man of Maryland's Lovers Lane...you can do him if want ;)

Since today is Friday the 13th, I'm going all out a different route and focusing on the 2009 reboot cause I loved it so My monster today is Jason Voorhees :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Like I said before in the Coming Soons topic I love how this one is and that he's the size of Kane. I loved the way he moved and all his characteristics, he wasn't like the previous Jason incarnations. This guy meant total business :blaq:

It was tremendous seeing this new film at the theater in the nearly dark room with only a handful of people if even that. I was quite excited about it ;)

Really this is arguably My favorite of the whole franchise, it was so dark, gritty, violent, nasty and all that stuff :blbat:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:15 pm

I actually was considering either Goatman but went with the bridge since I remembered the Ghost Adventures episode. I probably should've saved the Jersey Devil for today since it was the 13th child, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say, so today's Monster of the Day will be...

Between 1764 and 1767 a mysterious creature called the Beast ravaged the rural region of Gévaudan, France. About 100 men, women and children reportedly fell victim to La Bête du Gévaudan. While many French at the time presumed the Beast to be a wolf and many modern scholars agree, some have suggested that the Beast may not have been a wolf at all.

The bête féroce (ferocious beast) attacked and partially ate women and the young, according to the reports, but lone adult men were also targets. There were so many attacks that some speculated there were in fact two or more beasts.

The terrified populace of Gévaudan did not sit idle—and individual stories of bravery captivated the public. As Smith writes, bounties were offered and hunters combed the countryside looking for the creature. On October 8, 1764, hours after a mauling, the Beast was seen at Chateau de la Baume, stalking a herdsman. Hunters followed the animal into the estate’s woods and flushed the animal into the open. The hunters shot a volley of musket fire into the creature—but after a fall, the Beast rose and ran off.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:31 am

Oh I know this monster very well, it's in nearly all of My Cryptozoology books. I'll enter this a co-monster of the day because I really studied this one. Remember when I talked about Teen Wolf a while back :?: Well I was very surprised when they had the Beast of Gevaudan in it as a major storyline. Here's some clips :blbat:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions