Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: 31 Days of Halloween: Monster of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:00 am

Oh boy the Chupacabra! That was excellent PB. I know a lot about that monstrosity, I also know the false ones that was found by Phylis Canion. I have a VHS & DVD (My Grandma got Me the DVD for a Christmas) of the original reports of the Chupacabra. I loved seeing those old Puerto Rico news clips. What in the world is the creature really :?: Oh and I know a lot of bad things about Hilary too but I know she's not this creature :o

Acid, oh you ain't kidding there, it truly is one of the best and like I said, the cross-over stuff was way before it's time :)

So now here's Mine. I've talked about this off & on in the your Movie Trailers Topic PB but never spotlighted it yet but I'd like to soon. Well count this as a hint of it, I've talked many times of how Me & My Grandpa would watch movies at night and many of them were spooky. Well one of them was Conan the Destroyer, he loved the music by Basil Poledouris a lot and We watched it tons of good times together...in the dark :)

Dagoth 1.jpg

I've never considered it a film for Halloween or anything like that but there's two monsters in it that I have always liked for a few reasons and really I never considered this film to be PG-13 because there is a lot of violence and killing in it. First here's Wizard Thoth-Amon. He's played by legendary British wrestler Pat Roach. He plays a Man- Beast as well. You'll notice that this Beast is using wrestling moves and even a Canadian Backbreaker. I have always loved hoe looked and sounded. This is so great here :blbat:

As a bonus, here's Pat Roach if you don't know him. He was a great tough guy wrestler. He was in all 3 Indiana Jones, he also was in Red Sonja and he was also an unofficial James Bond character too but My absolute favorite role of his was his totally awesome General Kael in Willow, he was so much like a medieval Darth Vader :blsm:

Pat Roach 1.jpg

Now the second monster is the God Dagoth. I love this creature, it was designed so differently and he was huge but who could play such a big monster :?: Well they chose Andre the Giant to fill the suit & role :blaq:

Here's a bonus picture of Andre on the set in 1984 with co-stars Arnold & Wilt the Stilt. Look at the size of those guys, Arnold looks little compared to them :shock:

Andre in Conan 1.jpg
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:38 am

That's some photo of Arnold with Wilt and Andre. I know he's short, but that just really brings it home, lol. Been years since I watched any of the Conan films.

For today's Monster of the Day, let's go to Japan to meet the Jorōgumo!

Because spiders weren't creepy enough!

Legend has it that in the forests of Japan, a beautiful woman would entice wandering men into a lonely shack by playing a Biwa instrument, a type of Japanese lute whose strings were crafted from their webs. While the victim would be distracted by the sound of the instrument, the woman would bind them in spider silk threads in order to devour the unsuspecting person as her next meal.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:04 am

Well he is 6 foot 1 but still not that very tall. The Conan movies are great. The reboot is ok.

Oh yes, Japan has some great legendary creatures and Jorōgumo is only one of'em :o I really know the Oni Demon, in fact Asuka's newer/current gimmick is one with a Japanese clown twist too :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

So My Monster of the day is The Rancor of Star Wars :!:

Rancor 1.jpg

I have always really liked this monstrosity. It's so terrifying really and I love that is a practical effects creature and not CGI. When I first saw him in Return of the Jedi I was really in awe as a youngster :o Here's four different clips of hi :blhal: .

First here he is when Jabba the Hutt got tired of Oola's arguing. :wwsmh:

Next he's hungry for more greens as he's going to eat a yummy & plump Gamorrean Guard :blaq:

and here's The Rancor's Feast :blmm:

Now earlier back in January I posted a special showcase of My Shadows of the Empire and showed off My cool Fan Fiction which it really seems that Fan Fiction is a thing of the past which I hope that's not the case :roll: In this I entered The Zabrak Maris Brood with The Black Sun Syndicate since she disappeared after The Force Unleashed Video Game. Disney never bothered to continue her great story thus placing most of these great stories in Legends which really sucks :x So she is a master at controlling creatures and especially Rancor's. I just love My display of them and you can see the entire showcase here because I'm sure people missed a lot of superb stuff of Mine here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=34&p=45859

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Here is Maris Brood & her 2 Rancors :o Oh yes, this was a HUGE MUST right here because in the totally epic Force Unleashed Video Game she has two pet Rancors that fights Starkiller :wwwink: It was a superb scene and quite fun to play. I already had the Vintage Kenner Rancor that My Mom got Me that was previously seen in My Vintage showcase however, I also mentioned a while back when those corporate locusts Hasbro were pushing that insanely priced new Rancor and I was saying why in the heck would anybody crowdfund this when you could get the Vintage Kenner version for the same price or even less or even better the 1997 POTF 2 Rancor for less than 100 bucks :? I mean it's a total no-brainer and with all of the food shortages, price inflations and everything else going on how could anybody afford their hobby on the side :?: Well the 1997 POTF 2 Rancor was awesome and has rubber skin similar like Kenner's superbly fun Jurassic Park Dinosaurs from previous years. Here are the 2 Rancor individuals with their new Master :wwgrin:

Look at how grotesquely beautiful they are, I am quite pleased with this, this is so dang cool them & Maris Brood :batsmile:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:17 pm

I always felt sad for the Rancor, and the keeper.

I'm pressed for time tonight so the Monster of the Day goes to the...

Rougarou!

The ragin' Cajun dogman!

In the Cajun legends, the creature is said to prowl the swamps around Acadiana and Greater New Orleans, and the sugar cane fields and woodlands of the regions. The rougarou most often is described as a creature with a human body and the head of a wolf or dog, similar to the werewolf legend.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:58 am

Oh Me too, why do you think I didn't include him fighting Luke and his demise, I never liked that scene, I hated the one with Jabba & Leia even worse :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Oh yes, the Rougarou! Could the Dog Man be one in the same :?

So today My Monster is Maurice from 1989's Little Monsters starring Fred Savage & How'ya Doin' Howie Mandel, Daniel Stern, Frank Whaley & the late great legendary Rick Ducommon!

Little Monsters 1.jpg

This was a very good movie :)

Last year for Halloween I showcased My lone comic of the film in My all crucial Odds & Ends...

You can see the whole great showcase plus more here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-toy-discussions/my-odds-ends-insane-keychain-t1176-60.html
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:15 pm

Ah, we do need some cuteness once in a while.

Today's Monster of the Day is...

Like most such stories, certain details vary from version to version. But the prevailing account is that it was the spirit of Kate Batts, a mean old neighbor of John Bell who believed she was cheated by him in a land purchase. On her deathbed, she swore that she would haunt John Bell and his descendants.

The haunting began sometime in 1817 when John Bell witnessed the apparition of a strange creature resembling a dog with the head of a rabbit. Bell fired at the animal but it disappeared. John's son Drew Bell approached an unknown bird perched on a fence that flew off and was of "extraordinary size." The daughter Betsy observed a girl in a green dress swinging from the limb of an oak tree. Dean, a person enslaved by the Bell family, reported being followed by a large black dog on evenings he visited his wife. Activity moved to the Bell household with knocking heard along the door and walls. The family heard sounds of gnawing on the beds, invisible dogs fighting, and chains along the floor. About this time John Bell began experiencing paralysis in his mouth. The phenomena grew in intensity as sheets were pulled from beds when the children slept. Soon the entity pulled hair and scratched the children with particular emphasis on Betsy who was slapped, pinched and stuck with pins.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:07 am

Yes, that's what I thought ;)

Oh The Bell Witch, that was a good entry PB ;)

Now I know you love them and you can have your own take whenever PB ;) I wanted to present My Monster(s) of the day. The ones in 1987's classic The Monster Squad :blbat: :blww: :blsm: :blmm: :blhal: :blbaf: :blaq:

The Monster Squad 1.jpg

When I was a youngster, My Grandma rented this for Me over at Verna's Mr. T's Movie Rentals at her first location. I adored it and it became one of My favorites. I always already very familiar with Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein so this was such up My alley. Now I had presented them earlier on in this cool topic and it was such a great crossover however TMS's Monsters are all in unison here. All of them were designed by monster master Stan Winston . This Dracula is actually My favorite Dracula of all. The Wolf Man isn't far behind either. I love how realistic the Gill Man is, Frankenstein is great & huge and the Mummy looks pretty good. I love the chemistry between them all. Watch how The Gill Man suddenly appears and when The Monster is resurrected watch the emotion that Dracula has on his face here and how happy the Gill Man is and how the Wolf Man howls, it's such a wonderful scene :blbat: Also listen to Bruce Broughton's (Harry and the Hendersons & Tiny Toons) music here, it's such a fantastic score and it makes this work even more extraordinarily well :blsm:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:29 pm

It's a terrific movie and a Halloween staple in this household.

Today's Monster of the Day takes us to the most hideous of place, New Jersey, home of the Leeds Devil aka The Jersye Devil.

According to popular folklore, the Jersey Devil originated with a Pine Barrens resident named Jane Leeds, known as "Mother Leeds." The legend states that Mother Leeds had twelve children and, after discovering she was pregnant for the thirteenth time, cursed the child in frustration, declaring that the child would be the "devil." In 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night while her friends gathered around her. Born as a normal child, the thirteenth child transformed into a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings, and a forked tail. Growling and screaming, the child beat everyone with its tail before flying up the chimney and heading into the pines. In some versions of the tale, Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch and the child's father was the devil himself. Some versions of the legend also state that local clergymen subsequently attempted to exorcise the creature from the Pine Barrens.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:24 am

Yes and I'm sure it is PB ;)

Oh yes, the Jersey Devil. I'm extremely familiar with it. I actually believe the Mrs. Leeds story. There was so much horrific stuff going on during those days and to think this is still being sighted as I speak :o

Last year for Halloween I spotlighted 1998s The Last Broadcast in My Cryptozoology topic because it's about The Jersey Devil. I think it got over looked. It's such a fun film and it predated The Blair Witch project :o

I great spotlight all of it's history here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-discussions/cryptozoology-ufos-dinos-mythology-animals-discussion-t1111-90.html

Mine is simple for today. Most people say about how scary the Great White Shark is...nope...there's another and it's always scared the heck out of Me and it's called The Sand Tiger Shark and I've always thought that's a true monster :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am

Some called their kids monsters, but these little ones really are, and they're today's Monster(s) of the Day...

These little buggers creep the crap out of me, especially when I'm outside alone at night.

If you ever find them at your door, DON'T LET THEM IN!!!!

While tabloid coverage of these creatures has claimed that tales of black-eyed children have existed since the 1980s, most sources indicate that the legend originated from 1996 postings written by Texas reporter Brian Bethel on a "ghost-related mailing list," relating two alleged encounters with "black-eyed kids." Bethel describes encountering two such children in Abilene, Texas in 1996, and claims that a second person had a similar, unrelated encounter in Portland, Oregon. Bethel's stories have become regarded as classic examples of creepypasta, and gained such popularity that he published a FAQ "just to keep up with demand for more info about the new urban legend. In 2012, Brian Bethel told his story on reality TV series Monsters and Mysteries in America. He wrote a follow-up article for the Abilene Reporter News, describing his experience and maintaining his belief that it was legitimate.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions