Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The AEW Thread

It's All Elite Wrestling, and you know what that means. Inside it's All In for a superkick party. Double or Nothing, it's Dynamite!

Re: The AEW Thread

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:43 pm

It was a pretty good show. It was neat seeing Mercedes in the crowd. I'd assume that will lead somewhere down the road when she's cleared. Most of the matches were pretty good to great. The House of Black came out with alantern they left on the stage which I thought was pretty cool. And Sting at his age is a treat. This was damn cool (I'm sure you'll like it!)....

Fozzy with Jericho doing some Freddie Mercury to start....

Observations. Shame about Punk and Perry but I support Punk in the glass argument. Both Perry and Hook were bleeding on their backs after the spot and it seemed needless. Punk and Joe had a good match but the end was a little wonky. Will Ospreay is a superstar. He's grown so much as a performer since I saw him years ago. The Stadium Stampede was just ok. I'd love to see Moxley in a First Blood match, maybe he could go five minutes without bleeding. I love Mox, but it's becoming a running gag at this point. I'm glad MJF and Cole didn't have one turn on the other, them as a tag team has a lot of mileage still left I think.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:49 am

Oh it was surprising seeing her, I hope she really does become a major player there. Those were some great entrances. That was great that Sting came out with Metallica's Seek and Destroy. I have said about how cool this was when he did back in 99 or so. What a blast from the past that was :) That was good for them to come out and leave that lantern for Bray. This was very good PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:03 am

From PB yesterday ;)

packerbacker180 wrote:
This was on Wednesday, lol...

That MJF was good but dang, that wasn't original. That was a spoof from this classic 1994 Bret Hart commercial that was totally serious and heartwarming.

Funny you posted that cause for along time I've been thinking about it. If that isn't enough, Jericho's Appreciation Society intro...

is based and spoofed from WWF's Revolutionary Force Intro from 95 - 96 :o

This generation and kids today probably knew nothing of that classic WWF stuff which is really a shame :roll: I should give kudos to AEW though because their doing what WWF was doing to WCW during the hey day of the Monday Night Wars :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 am

Oh, I know they're not original ideas. But MJF and Tony Khan are huge wrestling history fans, so they're more like an homage than mocking or copying them, with an AEW twist. I thought it was hilarious. MJF is in rarefied air with his current character. I can't really recall anyone like him in a longtime. He's gotten over as a babyface without really changing who he's been. He still cheats, but now he's our scumbag. Even something as silly as the Kangaroo Kick is super-over with the crowds. I can't recall anyone like this since Eddie Guerrero and his lie, cheat, steal, and he's one of the most beloved wrestlers of all-time. Whether it's AEW or WWE, MJF is going to be a very rich man. I really hope he stays in AEW though, but like with everyone, I think you can only do so much for so long someplace, so I'm sure he'll end up in the WWE at some point. I just hope it isn't anytime soon.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:59 am

OK, well I'm sure many young people don't know the origins of those are. Yes, he is a great scum and wrestling really needs one. Actually I think going to WWE would be a big mistake. Look where Cody is and really what has he done besides doing a reality and getting on the mic every week :? Sure it's fun with every match he's in but he hasn't accomplished much at all. MJF is really got it made in AEW, did Sting ever leave WCW for WWF :?: No because he had it made there, even when Flair came back in 93 and Hogan arrived in 94 Sting still was really the face of WCW. It remained like that till the dreaded 2001 purchase. Really I don't want MJF doing that, he's fine where he is :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:01 pm

Woah

Spoiler:
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:00 am

This is huge spoiler then it isn't. I had read a little something before about
Spoiler:
Edge
going to AEW and I'm like nope, WWE made him the star that he is but apparently that isn't the case and the huge, multi-million dollar contract that they gave him wasn't enough either. I do believe he fulfilled it however cause the matches he had in it was Royal Rumbles, Randy Orton, AJ Styles but he never regained the title like he was suppose to (I don't know why wrestlers come back and do this to get the Championship and then they always come up short like Cody Rhodes for example) really I think he was a stepping stone for The Judgement day, look at everything they've accomplished now I mean their like your number one talk in WWE right now :shock:

So if this is true then get ready for a possible reunion of
Spoiler:
Edge & Christian as the Suicide Blondes or maybe even a rivalry that will be epic! Image

Oh and then there's the reports of Jade Cargill going to WWE. She's at the Performance center as I speak. Will she be in NXT or will she go straight to the main roster :?: I hope she's used good. What a shame that she left AEW, the company that made her :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:31 am

Yes!

Jade was the spoiler I had in the WWE threads a week or so ago! I think they'll make her look like a million bucks. She reminds me of Hulk Hogan a bit. Her move set is limited for now, but she carries herself like the biggest star.

Now back to Adam Copeland. This has been a rumor for a month now, and was like, that'd be cool, but didn't really, really think it was going to happen. And then they made Allin vs Christian the main event and I was like, maybe?

This gave me the kind of goose bumps you rarely get anymore these days...

Now this, I'm not expecting to ever happen, but I did just see the Dudleys wrestle again on Impact1000. Just sayin'.

BTW, I was a little disappointed when Christian was the big surprise debut a few years ago, but damn if he isn't the best pure heel in all of wrestling right now. Just wonderful to watch. It was a great match if you can catch the whole thing.

The word on Edge is the WWE didn't offer him a new contract, or at least as much as he thought he was worth. To think in 2023 we got Edge and Sting in the same ring...what a time to be alive.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:37 am

Additionally, Edge posted this over several tweets today:

From The Desk of…

As some of you may now know, I’m no longer with WWE. My new home is AEW. I’m excited. Whole new roster. Some familiar faces that I wanted to work with again and a whole set of first ever matches. New challenges, and if you’ve followed my career, you know that’s what I’ve always been driven by.

But first and foremost I want to address my 25 years with WWE. I love WWE and appreciate everything the company did for me. Always have, always will. They put me on the map, gave me amazing opportunities and through hard work on both ends, I’ve been supplied with a wonderful life. Hell, WWE helped me meet the woman I’d start my family with. Sometimes relationships just grow apart and I feel the WWE and I have just outgrown each other. I wanted to do more. They didn’t have much more for me to do. Simple as that. And that’s ok. I’ll still be watching and still be supporting all of my friends there.

I don’t buy into this odd mentality of one company or the other. It’s weird. If you took offense to that, take a walk, get some fresh air and soak up some sunshine. It’s wrestling. An amazing gig. But still, it’s wrestling. Relax. It’s supposed to be fun.
And it’s just a segment of the fans, not most fans, and definitely not the performers. Within the industry we all know that more choices is better for everyone and pushes us all to be better. As a wrestling fan, which I still am, it’s exciting that there’s viable companies providing wrestling on national and worldwide platforms. If you’re actually a fan of wrestling, and not acronyms, that should make you happy too.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this, if you’ve appreciated my work, you still can, no matter what the initials are. Because I’ll still be bustin my ass everytime I’m out there. This ride isn’t over just yet. Just try to have fun, like it should be. Because trust me I’ll be having fun everytime I’m out there in an AEW ring.
Let’s go!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:14 am

Oh this is huge. This is arguably the biggest moment in AEW and biggest roster addition as well. Well the way you were about Christian, I always thought never judge a book by it's cover or anything like that, it will always surprise you to the fullest ;) While he didn't keep his name he kept the theme song which is great, it's so important to a wrestler. Let Me say this VERY IMPORTANT NOTE right quick.: Back in 2012, 2013 or so when I was a member of Wrestlefigs (Ringside Collectibles' own board) which I really disliked that board because of the people and I wasn't there for long however there was a member there (I don't recall his name) was complaining about Wade Barrett because they kept on changing his theme music week after week when he returned. This guy on the board was saying about how many times must they do this and how am I supposed to think about this wrestler because the wrestler's theme MAKES the wrestler! When I read that guy's post I was really surprised about that cause I'm like I've never read nor heard anybody ever say this before and I'm like this guy is 1000% on the mark right here :!: Well fast forward a decade later now and in AEW, when the "You Think You Know Me" phrase hit everybody knew who it was whether they seen him in WWE or just played his theme on YT. It's the same difference with CM Punk. Now imagine if Edge or Punk came out with different themes that you never heard before nor know nothing about, the impact just would not have been there. Take Keith Lee for example in WWE, everybody loved his theme in NXT but when WWE fired the people that made it and when he went to the main roster with a new theme song, the impact just wasn't there and look what happen in his main roster run :roll: I don't care if it's a movie score or soundtrack, songs, whatever, it impact the films too and this is what I've been saying for some time now. This Adam Copeland return just triggered that in My mind when I saw the clip :)

Now with that being said, I can't wait to see what is next for Adam, that was awesome him & Christian together. It was even more radical that he shook Sting's hand. This is a cool time and I would imagine it would make a lot more people want to watch AEW and if doesn't then there's not much more you can do than this and oh and don't forget, Gangrel made an appearance in AEW before so who knows, we could have some kind of a Brood reunion :o

OK, I just checked out that spoiler you posted the other day, it was simple one and I'm glad I didn't click on it at that time. I hope Jade will be huge and there are a few women there for her to fight for a clash of the Titans scenario like Piper Niven, Nia Jax, Raquel Rodriquez and of course Rhea Ripley. The thing is B-Fab has gray/white hair, so does Jade. I'd love to see them become a team or something. It's going to be fun seeing this in WWE too :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to AEW