Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The AEW Thread

It's All Elite Wrestling, and you know what that means. Inside it's All In for a superkick party. Double or Nothing, it's Dynamite!

Re: The AEW Thread

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:21 am

Oh I knew it was going to be a good PPV PB :) OK first off I was able to get a good copy of the event thank goodness. I haven't watched it nor the kickoff or any of the other special ROH stuff yet.

Well many of the other guys that are ROHers' are in WWE like Kevin Owens & Sammy Zayn whom were the heart & soul of ROH IMO and then you got Steve Corino whom is an trainer & official there not to mention AJ Styles & Mia Yim among others. Could you imagine how it would have been if they weren't there and if they showed up :o I mean there's other possibles as well that has nothing to do with WWE like Chris Hero & so on.

Well it seems everybody is doing this darn trend I mean Hasbro & Mattel with the crowdfunding, your streaming services but dang, $10 a week :? Ain't that stretching it quite a bit :?: $10 a month sounds fine but a week :shock: No thanks, if I could afford that every month I'd rather get action figures that I need first.

OK so before I move on to talk about the PPV...there's some AEW stuff that needs to be addressed. First you didn't answer My two questions PB and so here they are again...

1. What are your thoughts on Prince Nana & his Embassy :?:

2. Were you expecting the shocking betrayal of 10/Preston Vance to The Dark Order especially with his connection to Mr. Brody Lee :?:

I just watched the Rampage clips and man-o-man, I am really impressed with Big Bill. His size, strength & demeanor is way, way better than he was in WWE, I mean he has seriously IMPROVED :!:

Another thing is Orange Cassidy's mystery opponent was TRENT SEVEN :o I don't know if your familiar with him but he's a big time veteran in the UK...he was a main player in NXT UK till the end with Tyler Bate whom he trained which they were called Mustache Mountain (I mean with all of the UK guys going to NXT in recent months now it's a shame that he didn't join the roster for whatever reason). I hope he stays with AEW and maybe is even partners with Kip & Penelope. He is really a great talent and I think he has a really cool look with all that gray going on. My Grandma really liked him along with Bate. I always said he has the body of Greg Valentine & face-wise looks like Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Anyway, some of this AEW stuff is really good. I'm gonna go see the ROH Final Battle soon...later PB ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:31 am

Yeah, trhere's still lots of ROH guys out there, even in NJPW that could've shown up. I thought the PPV was pretty good. I was really surprised the Ocho lost because I thought that was a storyline that had a lot more legs and would've lasted into next year. I like Claudio, I just don't think he has the star power of a Jericho, but if you're just going to stream your show and not have a TV partner, I guess it doesn't matter.

I haven't really seen enough of the tag team in the Embassy to formulate an opinion. They certainly look the part of a monster tag team, though. Not sure what it is about Cage but I've never found him that interesting. He certainly looks incredible and can do things men his size shouldn't be able to do, but I've always found something lacking in him, wheter it's his psychology, or his selling, I don't know. Just never really been that into him, even back in his Impact days.

I think the 10 thing was ok. Not sure where it goes from here, but Vance will probably do better without a mask. I thought it was pretty well done. I liked the Dark Order, but losing Stu, Brodie, and Anna Jay, it really sort of ran it's course, so it needed something. At least this gives the Beaver Bros. something to do.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:52 pm

OK, I watched the Zero Hour & the PPV itself. I found it all to be really good. I need to watch the Media Scrum next. Yeah, I was surprised too but look how many titles changed hands before that...to Me all were quite necessary & apropos, the Joe one seemed right too cause his opponent was from NJPW. Really I am so glad that Claudio won, he's finally in a spot that he should've been in years ago. To me it really doesn't matter about the name, its if their good or not and all that plus anybody that watched WWE over the last decade and kept up with it knows who Claudio is so there's that.

Oh I like the Embassy, I think they will be great for a long time to come. IDK about Cage. I think it's he makes it all look so easy & simple and we think there's not much to him...again IDK :?

Yeah, I agree with that about the Dark Order.

You thoughts on Winter is Coming :?:

OK, I'll be posting a write up of ROH Final Battle like I did for Full Gear within the next few days or so cause I'm working on other stuff. Continue to talk about what I said and/or about Winter is Coming PB ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:50 am

Before I get My ROH Final Battle write up, in the mean time here is this really cool stuff. I always like watching video packages, history videos and that stuff before it's time watch a big wrestling event event. Maybe others don't but I have always loved that extra hype & excitement ever since the early days of the WWF & WCW like say in 1990 like they had a special Wrestlemania show before Wrestlemania VI. It was always so fun. during the old days. WWE has their kickoff shows still on YT before their PPVs or rather PLEs but it really has been lacking with no bonus matches. Now on the other hand as I have expressed earlier on in My write ups here for AEW, they have been having some nice preshows with three or so matches that is equally as fun as the PPV itself. Well since TK bought ROH I have been quite pleased as to how it's treated, used and seen. I said it before this is how Vinnie Mac should used WCW and while he kinda tried with ECW and while it had it's moments I can say I'm liking this resurrection of ROH way more than ECW 2.0. With that being said here is a couple things to watch if you haven't seen it already that are quite good to know if your interested in the event.

You can check out and watch the Zero Hour ROH show, the AEW Dark matches and so much more by going to their YT. More later :scbat: :scww: :scsm:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:55 am

Let's get right down to it so here we go with the kickoff that is available on YT :!:

Jeff Cobb defeated Máscara Dorada (6:59)

This was an excellent match up. Cobb seems to have gain a lot of weight here. The former Lucha House Party member Gran Metalik is in top shape. There was a ton of spots here. "The King of the Ropes" really still hasn't convinced Me greatly as I feel Rey Fenix is the "true" King of the Ropes. Cobb got the upper hand and beat'em in a solid match that both proponents were equally cheered by the fans,

The Jericho Appreciation Society (Matt Menard & Angelo Parker) defeated Shinobi Shadow Squad (Eli Isom & Cheeseburger) (6:00)

Now I was kinda of anticipating this match-up. I wasn't familiar with this Shinobi Shadow Squad team but I am a bit familiar with Cheeseburger, he's come a long way since he was a cleanup kid and severely beat up by Charlie Haas around a decade or so ago. I love their name and this team is good but My eyes are on Menard & Parker, they are finally being where they belong compared to their NXT/205 EverRise days. When they came out with one of the best wrestling themes I've ever heard (I expressed My love about it in the wrestling theme section, other than PB, nobody else ever talks about this fun stuff besides us) I rewound it several times after the terrific guitar riff in 45 seconds or so. It's so WCW 90s inspired but the thing is this team is hard convincing because their not, it sounds like OZ & The Diamond Studd would use it. This was a good match by these guys basically dominated the Shinobi Shadow Squad which they have been doing a lot in their matches as they seem unbeatable on Dark. With that being said it was all over with a great finish by the Canadians :!:

ROH FB 22 - 1.jpg

Willow Nightingale defeated Trish Adora (6:20)

This match was pretty good. It was really a Dark main event style bout. They have wrestled on TNT & TBS before but they shine on AEW'S YT. Both women are very good. Adora looks like she is a throwback missing from a generation as she looks to fit in the NOD. I wasn't big on Willow at first but she's growin' on Me (I'm not big on comedic wrestlers, ever since Emma & Santino I just don't like it) but she can be quite serious. I think she's cute with all that purple gonin' on and really looks like a MOTU & POP character come to life :batsmile: :wwwink: :smsmile: I love her Keith Lee-like POUNCE :!: This was a physical match but after a cannonball and her big move it was all over :!:

ROH FB 22 - 2.jpg

Top Flight (Dante Martin & Darius Martin) defeated The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Mike Bennett) (w/ Maria Kanellis) (11:19)

Top Flight is ok, I was never crazy about them but Dante has some incredible agility. I was really into The Kingdom (Maria has lost some of her hotness since the stupid pregnant storyline in WWE but at least the couple is back at top form) and I really haven't seen Taven since his early days in ROH, he's come a long way. I found it strange that he worse pants & gloves that was nearly identical like AJ Styles wore in TNA Impact which My figure of him in My Modern Wrestling Collection shows this...look at the for the comparison...it's uncanny (was this an homage?) :o There was some extremely remarkable spots here as one should expect. When it was all said & done TF won but TK was nice sports about it which is good cause I like it when even heels show their sportsmanship :scbat:

So here we go with the actual PPV card itself.

Blake Christian & AR Fox defeated La Faccion Ingobernable (Rush & Dralistico) with Jose the Assistant & Preston Vance:(10:35)

This was a great match. I love to see real life brothers tag up (amazing that their uncles are The Pit Bulls). There was some superb..I MEAN SUPERB high flying spots by AR Fox here. Some of the likes I've never seen before I mean it was truly remarkable how many times he did it & how he did'em :shock: Ultimately he & the former Trey Baxter lost to the brothers and paid in the end in brutal fashion.

Athena defeated Mercedes Martinez (c) to win the ROH Women's World Championship (13:06)

This was arguably the one I wanted to see the most. I'm a huge Mercedes Martinez fan and followed her for a very long time. I followed Athena in her original indy days before her Ember Moon tenure in WWE. I always like the former more however Athena has really got My attention since her new tweener persona. I seen her turn like that from the beginning on Dark and so on beating up her fallen opponents. Its very cool what she's doing. The match was a great long one. There was some really good moments here but dang Athena just had the upper hand here and she made the ruggedly-hot tattooed Latina done & dusted to become the new ROH Women's Champ which I was rooting for her to achieve :!:

Swerve In Our Glory (Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland) defeated JD Griffey & Shane Taylor (13:43)

Holy crap, I was surprised they were booked as a team again I mean I was like what happen to the aftermath of them saying to each other I'm coming after you I mean I was expecting a feud here but they teamed up again and fought two other black guys I'm not familiar with. Seems like this day and age is trying to bring back the big man :) These guys were pretty good but I gotta see more of'em (let's book'em on Dark!).This match was pretty good but SIOG was half-@$$ing the match even though they won when it was all Lee whom got his payback on Strickland which now perhaps a feud will ensue since their even :?

The Embassy (Brian Cage, Kaun & Toa Liona) (w/ Prince Nana) defeated Dalton Castle & The Boys (c) to win the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship (10:02)

I have been quite excited about Dalton Castle & The Boys as I have been seeing them on Dark a lot over past few months. I have also been seeing a lot of the Embassy on Dark as well. I have been quite impressed by them too. When I found out they were going to face each other and Castle wanted a good competitive memorable match I was like yeah, your gonna get one and I don't know how your gonna win. Well the match happen and it was a fun one but they were just over powered here by these monstrous men beating them to win the Six-Man Titles :!:

Wheeler Yuta defeated Daniel Garcia (c) to win the ROH Pure Championship (14:52)

I got a kick out of Garcia saying how he's sick of Yuta's name, his face, his tweets...that's the way I feel about a lot of stuff :roll: This was a good match. They exhausted the rules and all that pretty much to the limit. I was amazed how Wheeler won the belt :!:

The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) defeated FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) (c) in a Double Dog Collar Match to win the ROH World Tag Team Championship (22:20)

This was THE MATCH I LOOKED forward to the most I mean how can you be a wrestling fan and NOT AND NOT WATCH ANY PART OF THIS MATCH :?: I mean it's FTR aka The Brain Busters 2.0 against the freakin' Briscoes for cryin' out loud :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: I believe this was the first DDCM I seen or at least in a long time. There was some unbelievable moments here with an incredible multi-chair splat on the floor as well. There was so much Blood...yes BLOOD!!!. In today's wrestling that is one of so many things lacking which I have said many times about "the big man"...well blood is another concerning issue that today's generation is missing (I showcased My LOPW Figures in My Vintage Wrestling that was all Bloody cause I loved old school guys) I mean this day & age is nothing compared to the WWC & ECW days of classic times and so on but this match had it...even THE REFEREE got BUSTED OPEN which as of press time I can't recall a Ref ever getting bloodied up or at least in the States :o This bout had a ton of it, shame it wasn't for Halloween, it would have been even better :blww: After over 20 minutes the brothers won and it was a tremendous contest and I'm thinking it was THE MATCH OF THE YEAR...I'm saying it was that darn good :o

Samoa Joe (c) defeated Juice Robinson to retain the ROH World Television Championship (13:37)

This match was ok. I really never kept up with Juice since his Hippie time in the early days in NXT. He gave Joe a hard time but he muscle bustered him and Joe retains.

NOTE: At the media Scrum Joe wants you to call him your "Majesty" since he is the "King of Television" holding both the ROH & AEW TV Titles). I find this amazing really cause back in the day in WCW their TV Title wasn't brought up that big as it was basically a championship for mid carders to step up the ranks to the US Title like DDP for example but really now I feel the AEW & ROH TV Championships are arguably their biggest & most important right now (the hype with Cody a long while back helped this situation greatly and he ain't even there anymore) :!:

Claudio Castagnoli defeated Chris Jericho (c) to win the ROH World Championship (17:05)

Now this was the big one, the big main bout. It was a great one that was a bit shorter than expected. Neither veteran disappointed here. After all of the usual spots & maneuvers, Claudio performed the giant swing on The Ocho about 40 times or so and for the first time...EEEVVVEEERRR somebody tapped out to it and it was Jericho :batshock: :wwshock: :smsmh: This was truly unforeseen and the former Cesaro and got his ROH World Title back. Its extremely exciting to see that he finally found himself and is having his time that he should have had years ago in WWE (was it a waste or was it a necessary development for THIS VERY MOMENT?). I am very glad that he is champ now, I find him a superb talent and a worthy champ. I hope that he is champ for a long time to come as I want to see him against all comers in clean-cut matches :!:

SPECIAL BONUS

IMPORTANT NOTES: Your commentators for the night were Ian Ricabonni & Caprice Coleman. I haven't seen Coleman since his days with Cedric Alexander. They're a good team and they were really excited for the event and glad your with'em. After TF's match they had a backstage interview with Lexy Nair (she didn't fix herself up at all here, usually she looks busty, pretty & hot) and Menard & Parker intervened and Menard told Nair to step away and they fought each other to the back but won this fight when they reached the ringside area and had their mic time. During the ROH Pure Title Match, ROH Legends Christopher Daniels, BJ Whitmer & "The New F/N Show" Jerry Lynn appeared as judges plus possibly signed Trent Seven was seen briefly in the crowd as well. After the BLOODFEST that was the DDCM, FTR was attacked by The Gunn Club and the Briscoes came to their rescue in sportsmanship and honor :!:

ROH FB 22 - 3.jpg

Overall I think it was a superbly fun PPV, way better that I thought it would even though I knew it was going to be really fun. I loved the days of ROH when they had Kevin Steen & El Generico & S.C.U.M. but gosh these are pretty exciting times right now :)

So there you have it. I hope you liked this. Let's talk more about ROH & AEW more often as there is a lot happening right now :scbat: :scww: :scsm:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:37 pm

Nice write up. I'll admit I skipped the preshow as I didn't get home until close to 3. I watched much of it with the sound off as there were other things I was watching but don't recall what. I also skipped the last two matches because I didn't think Joe or Jericho would lose, so I was a little shocked to the Ocho lost. It's a shame because I thought that storyline had more to go, but maybe Chris is taking a break or touring. Or, after it became apparent they weren't getting a TV deal it didn't make sense to keep the belt on Jericho, I don't know.

The only match I was legitimately interested in was FTR vs the Briscoes. It's just a shame that match was on an ROH PPV that was in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, that's an All Out level match, but I guess there's issues getting the Briscoes on TNT/TBS. It was a great match, everything you'd expect of these two teams with dog collars.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:02 am

Thanks a lot PB, I appreciate that :) I see, yeah, that's one I didn't mention was the time it started. I just wait too see the stuff when it suits Me but I know there are those that want to see it on/in real time and of course if your there in person. Dang PB, you did it again, see what happens when you skip it, the opposite happens;) Actually that's fine with Me to be honest, I really like how ROH is, I like it all under one roof :) Yeah, their still quite a hardcore team, really their arguably the last remnants of old fashion extreme wrestling IMO and the way today's day & age is I find it very hard to see them on regular TV. I'd love it if they would be a main attraction on Dark like Dalton Castle & The Boys & The Embassy are but I doubt it but I'm sure they'd get more viewers for the people who like the harder type of wrestling. I think they'll stick to ROH PPVs but who knows...we'll see :batsmile:

I'll be talking about Winter is Coming and more stuff soon and the you join in :scbat: :scww: :scsm:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:45 pm

WWE NXT/205 Live & AEW star Jaysin Strife has died :roll:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:06 am

Man, that was a pretty excellent PPV. The main event was very well-done. Some great stories were told. Only a couple matches were average. Most were great. Well worth a watch.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:26 pm

Sounds good PB, I haven't seen the event yet, I'm doing My best trying NOT to be spoiled online, I was lucky I got a good copy of it, I'll talk about in time :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to AEW