Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My Modern Wrestling Collection: WWE Magazines!!!

Wanna talk about your LJN Hulkster or that weird, skinny body Samoa Joe TNA figure? Maybe you've got some cool wrestling swag? Step up to the gorilla position and snap in to it, oh yeah!

My Modern Wrestling Collection: WWE Magazines!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:16 pm

OK, here we are with My Modern Wrestling Figure topic...FINALLY! Now, this is gonna be similar like My awesome Vintage Wrestling Action Figure topic but there won't be nearly as much content within this new one compared to the Vintage topic. Why :?: Well, its a long story but I'm gonna keep it short. After the WWF bought WCW & ECW, pro wrestling was dead and began a new. I went on a long hiatus from being a huge fan like I once was. I watched WWF & WCW weekly years before Monday Night Raw first aired and watched WCW's classic programs. I loved the weekend mornings as back in the early 90s was so classic. Despite what the people say, IMO the Monday Night War started in 95 when WCW first aired Nitro and the Attitude era started when the nWo started in 96 which was over 25 years ago this year...amazing that WCW started all of this and won many battles but ultimately the WWF won the war and I watched ever episode of Nitro and Thunder & Raw. When these times ended it was wasn't the same. I didn't get into Ring of Honor/ROH & TNA and other indy feds till much later. I kept up with them a bit via YouTube, news pages and Wikipedia but it wasn't that serious and that was just about it. What I did most of the time was pop in My old WWF, WCW, ECW and various vintage VHS & DVDs in and reminiscent the past because the present wasn't doing anything for Me and to be honest, it really still isn't :roll:

So with that being said, the only fed I really got into was Total Nonstop Action. I loved a lot about the, the legends & familiar faces, the X-Division, the hardcore nature and of course the the TNA Knockouts. There will be some great stuff from them I believe in 2 parts, maybe 3, it all depends on how I decide to format this. So here we go with part 1 :!:

Now, as you saw in My Vintage Wrestling Figure topic, My latest showcase was WCW by ToyBiz and I presented with some spoilers hinted at this new topic and figures from the ToyBiz TNA series as they invaded. Well, the invasion for them is over as a full showcase will be at hand. TNA got ToyBiz to make their first ever figures in around 2006 as it was apropos since they made some really good ones for WCW back years prior. As good as many of them looked, ToyBiz used their newer techniques they did for their awesome Marvel movie figures and upped the realism-ante with these guys. IMO these are the most ideal wrestling figures you can get because of all of the articulation and IMO they are the most realistic wrestling figures ever depicted! They have real heights and sizes to My liking and as you saw in My Vintage wrestling figure topic, they are still in scale with ToyBiz' WCW figures which is such a sweet option to behold :D There isn't many companies that makes most or all their series' in scale with each regardless of lines + that doesn't use the template trend for every figure they make!

I don't have a lot of them, I got late in the game collecting them. Oh i remember seeing them at one My local Toys"R"Us stores. I saw the great 2 pack with Sting & Monster Abyss, I believe I saw Jeff hardy and the Sting mask prop and many others within the ToyBiz TNA series line. I saw them across the isle when I was collecting Star wars figures in their isle and I didn't even walk over to see them...wow was I foolish and I have regretted that moment ever since :roll: So I become a forced cherry picker (which I never like cherry picking) as I had to pick & choose who I wanted to get for the cheaper price point since ToyBiz already went under when I started collecting these figures in 2010 because since their unfortunate fall due to severe financial debacles and their licenses being handed to Hasbro, the TNA figs became sought after thus becoming very scarce rather quickly and became quite pricey on secondary markets and became quite valuable. The fact of the matter is, ToyBiz/Marvel Toys didn't make a lot of these TNA figs and got cut so prematurely. Shame Hasbro didn't use the advantage and continue it...as you know they were no stranger to making wrestling figures cause in the past, they had a great series of WWF figures from 1990 - 1994/1995. If they would have they would have made a lot of collectors happy but that just didn't happen...it's really a shame it went down this way cause this series had so much potential of being one if the not THE greatest wrestling figure series of ever, of all-time IMO!

I took good care of these guys and most of their accessories are present. They are in My cool WCW ring by ToyBiz that was previously seen. I thought it was perfect for them I was unable to get a proper TNA ring. Here they are in all of their TNA glory!

"JJ" Jeff Jarrett & "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner: These were 2 of My most must haves because they were My faves. Plus I mean an old school wrestling figure display really wouldn't be complete with out'em IMO. Both are quite accurate. So with the original co-founder of TNA, JJ is excellent and is greatly in scale with the ToyBiz WCW figures and the big reason why that is due to him using the same body sculpt as his WCW version. See, I was looking to get that version but when I compared the TNA version I realized the head sculpt was way, way much better but in order to get him I had to get him in a 2-pack but more on that later. His NWA/TNA championship title belt is so grand, it's one of the most realistic titles ever made IMO which is another reason why I wanted & needed him! Now with Steiner there wasn't much I could do, they made a version without the shades but I couldn't get him but the one with the sunglasses was readily available and really I digged this one more. His unbelievable physique is so life-like. If I recall correctly he was My first TNA ToyBiz/Marvel figure ever!

Raven & Sabu: These are arguably the best figures of these former ECW legends and maybe the last figures of them ever made! The likenesses are tremendous with Raven's clothing is removable and his tattoos are all there on his body and Sabu's scars are also present. Now IMO these are the most realistic figures of these two veterans as seeing them shows you what ToyBiz' attempt was and that was to make make this series extremely life-like and IMO they accomplished this goal greatly as I feel this is one of the most realistic action figures series' ever produced regardless of genre :!:

Monty Brown: Now he came in a two pack with JJ Jeff Jarrett. This figure has a great likeness of this great, underrated and forgotten powerhouse.

Shark Boy & Ron "The Truth" Killings: These both have amazing likenesses. This is Shark Boy's first figure ever made as ToyBiz never got to make a WCW version of him. He is such a sweet one :!: The former WWF's K-Kwik (they want you to forget about his former identity) whom is today's R-Truth in the WWE. This was one of the first figures of him if not his first figure and wow it's a dandy one too :!:

The James Gang - Jesse James & Kip James: Yep, The New Age Outlaws! You could put Jesse with The Truth and and have them together in TNA as an alternate to their WWE days :!: I find it astounding that Kip James/Billy Gunn still looks like this figure today in AEW at nearly 60 years of age :shock: :? Oh and their tattoos look great :!:

"Big Sexy" Kevin Nash: I relatively bought this rather recently @ Amazon last year in September. I was surprised he was still available as I was very foolish not buying him around ten years prior. Even more so he was still quite affordable to My flabbergasted amazement. I had already been awaken about a month before this as to getting the figures that I missed out on before from recent times to long ago rather than get involved with the current product that is so expensive as I write this. I mean many of the vintage figures are actually the same price and sometimes even cheaper compared today's offerings and really when you think about it, that its a bit staggering with the status of Jazware's really pricey AEW figures & Mattel's current ultra expensive WWE lines and especially their insane crowd funding stuff that has already been made time & time again. I mean I'll take the former and get what I couldn't years ago for the same/similar price than the new stuff. Like I said, I really regret not getting the ToyBiz TNA long ago and while Nash is only one figure, getting him made Me feel of making up somewhat for My dang foolishness and one step closer and getting My collection fulfilled. With all of this being known, IMO this is the greatest Kevin Nash figure ever made. I mean look at his face and his physique. His scale is superb as he is a seven-footer. I understand it was difficult to make his tattoos the actual size but it would have interfered with the articulation. Look more about Nash in a very short bit :? :smhuh:

SPECIAL BONUS CHARACTER!

THE PUNISHER 2004: So, not too long after we're treated with a reboot of a terrific character that seems like he can never get over with the crowd cinema wise (and now especially after the iconic symbol/logo has changed in many directions only just a few short days ago that I'm not a fan of :roll: ) He was part of Marvel Legends series VI. He has a lot of articulation and a fair likeness to the actor :) I thought he was so ideal for the this TNA series since they are made by ToyBiz, in scale and especially since his arch-nemesis is within this series :wwshock:

The Punisher meets THE RUSSIAN again: So like Macho Man's Bonesaw McGraw, "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash aka Big Daddy Cool Diesel played The Russian which basically was an upgraded version of his former Oz character in WCW way back in 1991...30 years ago this year :!:

I recently got this figure last year as he was one that I always wanted since the ToyBiz TNA days in the mid/late 2000s. IMO this is the best Kevin Nash figure ever :o He is not blond/white haired or with a striped shirt like he was in the movie (there are some great customs out there however) so I just pretend in My fan fiction/wrestling fantasy that he survived the fight and went back to TNA! The cool thing is, he is really in scale with him! Check out My awesome pics :batshock:

SPECIAL GALLERY!

The Blister Cards: These were quite attractive and ideal for collectors and fans that wanted more than just logos & company info. Why? Oh that's simple & crucial as these have many pics of the actual wrestlers, bios & stories unlike many wrestling figures lines before, during and after this series! I am always for the info & reading as its important, the more the better :!:

Now this was a special included bonus with the Jeff Jarrett & Monty Brown 2-pack with cool stuff about their rivalry and the Final Resolution event match :!:

Special CD-Rom:

Special Comparisons: Here is a size comparison with ToyBiz' WCW Sting with their TNA Scott Steiner. There's differences for sure here as they are nearly a decade apart as tech had improved greatly and IMO rather quickly & mysteriously. The scale isn't bad either and in fact both feds can crossover convincingly with enjoyment :!:

Now here's just not another scale comparison but also an imperative one of the awesome championship title belts :shock: Take a gander at JJ Jeff Jarrett's awesome & classic NWA Title of the World is very equivalent to Hollywood Hulk Hogan's WCW World Title! These are 2 of the greatest action figure championships EVER made IMO and the NWA Title is darn near an identical replica to the real thing :smgasp:

ToyBiz TNA Group Shot: Yep, they are all together. Notice The Punisher IS THERE! Again, you can fit these guys with the WCW hence the previously seen ring since I do not have a proper TNA ring. Many of these guys like Nash, Steiner, Jarrett, Raven & Sabu were in WCW way before their TNA days and another bonus is that Shark Boy was too in the promotion's last days so there is many, many possibilities :!:

Well, that'll do it for now in My new Modern Wrestling Figure topic. Next up will be more TNA figures but this time they are made by Jakks Pacific from 2010/2011 :shock: Until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:07 am, edited 11 times in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Modern Wrestling Collection: ToyBiz TNA!

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Cool. I remember unboxing some of these when I worked overnight stocking a Walmart toy department Back then I didn;t really pay attention to upcoming releases so it was always cool to see a new TNA, Jakks or even McFarlane Sports figures cases come in and open them up to see who was included in the wave. Never bought any from Wally though I did get a TNA Sting figure in a mystery bag I bought at a BaseBrawl show in Buffalo way back when. Got him, and AJ Styles shirt, and several random TNA DVDs I think for like $25.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: My Modern Wrestling Collection: ToyBiz TNA!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:17 am

That sounds great PB, thanks for sharing :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My Modern Wrestling Collection: JAKKS TNA IMPACT!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 am

Here we go with My long awaited Jakks Pacific TNA Impact Action figure showcase :batsmile:

So when I "really" got into TNA back in 2010, I had to get the action figures that would be made by Jakks Pacific who had the WWF/WWE licence previously. It was amazing that I hadn't got a figure of them for around 10 years before of just not wrestling but of any kind. I got a lot but not as many as I could have had. I just sat on them later on and later regretted it but at least I have a good number of them plus some that was really crucial to Me.

Now Jakks Pacific has always been a cool company in My mind. the first figure I got by them was Bret "Hit Man" Hart in 1996 of their very first WWF series and I originally thought that the design was weird but they would improve and would turn out to be pretty fun figures and a good company overall. Jakks has never been one of My favorite companies mind you especially since they took over Trendmasters whom was one of My favorites on the 90s but they have been one that I do pay attention too.

Jakks has never been known for realism and when they do make super great figures they cut the series short which has always been a major turn off for Me about them. The figure's style is quite good yet the body proportions are are not. They're still using the real-scan tech so their faces will look very like-like with accurate likenesses and cloth attire..

NOTE: In many of the pics you'll the classic ToyBiz WCW Monday Nitro Ring that I used for them & their TNA figures and I am doing the same for these guys as I was unfortunately able to get a proper TNA Jakks Ring but it all fits just right :batsmile:

So continuing off from My grand showcase of TNA figures by ToyBiz, here is the ones I have by Jakks!

DELUXE IMPACT - THE MEN!

AJ Styles & Jeff Hardy V1 & V2: That's the X-Division title that came with AJ v1. The second version of The Charismatic Enigma glows in the dark and is a Ringside Collectibles exclusive, when I first got him I thought he was such an awesome figure!

Team 3D - Bully Ray & Devon: Great ones but I think the likeness from My OSTM ECW figures are way more realistic looking that is featured in My Vintage Wrestling Figure Topic :!:

Suicide & "The Blue Print" Matt Morgan: Had to get them especially the original video game character!

Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal: I wanted this when Joe wore the face paint! Lethal was never My favorite but needed him anyway.

Shark Boy: He was a must, just as cool as his ToyBiz version that I showed previously :!:

Cactus Jack and Steven Richards: Great one of Jack. Richards is ok too.

JJ Jeff Jarrett and Kevin Nash: Such a great likeness on the co-founder! It's also a great sculpt of Big Sexy too, I love the gray hair and he also has his big Dragon & Tiger tattoo!

"Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner, "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan & "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash: Ah, here we go again, the living legends of WCW & nWo! Yep, three of the main ones of the biggest faction ever was in TNA too! This is really a good version of "The Big Bad Booty Daddy" aka Freakzilla. I really wanted this version of "The Hulkster, it has such a tremendous likeness and I was so glad I got him when I did. This "Big Daddy Cool" came with Steiner in a two pack, his hair isn't as gray and has red attire this time and his big Dragon & Tiger tattoo is somewhat different than his other version! Now the Championship titles are from Figures Toy Company/Wrestling Superstore & Jakks in a special belt pack I got in the Autumn of 2020 on Amazon. It was a must as I never had any other titles for the line :o

Hulk Hogan and Sting: Since I missed out on the return of Hogan during Jakks' WWE era, I really wanted this Hogan, he has his tattoo on his arm and he has a tremendous likeness, it's pretty much what I wanted! Now this Sting is a bit of a kit-bash. He has the Ringside Collectibles Exclusive coat on. This "Stinger" has a great likeness too!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 am

THE KNOCKOUTS!

Daffney Unger, Velvet Sky and Christy Hemme: Now the TNA Impact Knockouts were a major part of the series for Me. They had such a hot roster but Jakks really wasn't concentrating on it as much as they should have :roll: Daffney was in a 2-pack with Richards, it was the only way to get her. She was the hottest of the hot in IMO and My favorite of the entire division! She is gorgeous and her likeness is uncanny and she has all of her tattoos! Sky is also great looking and has her tats as well. Now Hemme was also a fave of Mine but they never made an official TNA version of her however, Jakks did make a WWE version that was an Internet exclusive so I thought heck, why not get her :?: She's in scale and everything. The likeness is really good too!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:02 am

STANDARD FIGURES!

Now this series is the standard kind that is smaller & less articulated. These were an exclusive to Walgreens :o I was really amazed at the time that they had them. This is the same location that I usually talk about in My topics :) You bought them separately and they had a special 3 for offer! There was six in the set and I got them all :!: They all have pretty good likenesses.

Suicide, Jay Lethal & Monster Abyss!

Sting, Kurt Angle & Kevin Nash

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:03 am

Ringside Exclusive 2-pack of Sting & "Bloody" Hulk Hogan: NOTE: The coat & World Championship that is on My Deluxe Sting above actually was a part of this set! Oh this special set was such a must have for Me because of all the history of the two iconic legends had over the years...

and here is a better look at "Bloody" Hulk Hogan! Its a rare occurrence but I love it when "The Hulkster" goes hardcore and gets BLOODY :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 am

Legends: Now this series was really cool and also a must for Me. Here we have classic Blond Surfer Sting, USWA Jeff Jarrett and NJPW Hulk Hogan :shock:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 am

BONUS GALLERY!

The Blister Cards: One thing about Jakks is real pictures & stats was never an importance to them which seems to be a very pathetic trend of companies over the years and people folow suit...heck, wrestling companies doesn't even announce where wrestlers are from or anything anymore...it's VERY UNNERVING how things have become :x :batrage: Stats of all kinds and pictorial bios has ALWAYS and WILL ALWAYS BE IMPERATIVE TO ME! With that being said, the cards look attractive and stuff but the one by ToyBiz were way more to My liking :batsmile:

Comparisons

Here is classic vs. modern Jeff Jarrett :!:

Here is "ichiban" Japan/NJPW Hulk Hogan vs. modern 2000s Hogan :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

Now this this is the MOST CRUCIAL of all. Blond Surfer Sting whom I grew up with as a look I thought he'd always have till it all changed in 96 to the brooding "Crow Sting that has actually become the main look of him even to this very moment. See how the classics compare to the modern :?: Many of today's generation of AEW fans probably has no clue what he originally looked like and how great it was then in the 80s & early 90s in the NWA & WCW, heck I thought the same thing when I got THIS VERY FIGURE over 10 years ago :shock: :!: Amazing how things have improved with the plebeians :roll:

and here they are together!

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 31, 2022 6:07 am

SCALE!

Now like I said near the beginning of the showcase, scale and true realism was never an imperative aspect for Jakks and whenever they's come close they would they would quickly discontinue that no matter what series they were making which I always hated :roll: However, since I never got a deluxe Kurt Angle, the standard version's height is actually decent compared to Kevin Nash so there's that exception :!:

ToyBiz vs. Jakks

As much fun as the Jakks figures are, overall I still prefer the ones by ToyBiz because their more realistic in likenesses, physiques and heights. Here is comparisons of My previously seen ToyBiz/Marvel Toys Scott Steiner & Kevin Nash compared to their Jakks counterparts :o

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to Wrestling Toys & Collectibles