Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:10 pm

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Huh, interesting guys. I do not have the mini consoles. I love the cartridges, that's one of the reasons why I wanted a N64 over Playstation & Sega Saturn way back in the day but I have gotten so used to games on disc and now digital of this past decade but for Me, I wanna get as much as I can that I couldn't back then and sometimes getting these compilations is a great why of doing it plus there is bonuses as well and if it means to not put the cartridge in and not have complete nostalgia then so be it, at least I got a bit of that old feeling of playing classics :)

OK, well, I got another idea. It'll be for tomorrow, see you then ;)

That's exactly why these Mini Consoles work so well for me. They look like the original consoles but they take up 1/4 of the room, I can put most of my library on them and the controllers feel like the old hardware. There's pretty much zero chance I'll be able to buy something like Earthbound now. I do own Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III for the SNES still but that's about it. It's a way for me to get a taste of nostalgia without getting too carried away. Like I said, I don't really have room for a CRT and many of the old systems need a CRT or some kind of converter or they look weird on a modern TV. I also have Turbo Grafx 16 Mini which is awesome because that was a console I didn't get to play much as a kid but I always wanted to. I also got a Famicom Classic Mini so I could have the Famicom experience but I modded the controllers so I can swap an authentic 1980s Famicom controller onto it because the mini version of the system had teeny tiny gamepads. The NEOGEO Mini is also pretty kickass and I don't need to tell you how expensive NEOGEO games are otherwise to buy to get the genuine 1990s experience.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:48 pm

Is all that in English?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:15 pm

Oh he's Canadian and might be bilingual like the Quebecers but it's game talk PB, he knows that stuff :lol: :batlol: :wwshock: :smsmh: ;) Heck, I say a little but more than Me believe it or not :shock:

OK, now listen, I gonna hold off on My idea I had to present, it can wait a bit because now Acid is got Me thinking and now I'm curious :?

Acid - I know the old NEOGEO & Turbografx and Famicon systems though never owned them, I had a chanc eto get the get the handheld Turbo Grafx but I chose Sega Game Gear instead. You keep on talking about these mini consoles. I maybe behind and not know much here so help Me out dude. I have only seen the NES & SNES briefly. I know the SNES one has Star Fox 2 which was unreleased decades ago. Do you have these? Are there others you have that I don't know about?

I'll tell ya what, post a few videos from You Tube on ALL of the systems you have with a possible games list cause your making Me think that they released a ton of Nintendo & Sega games from years past on these. I'd do My own research but I wanna ask the man who knows this stuff. Please post some really detailed vids dude with all the info and systems you have. OK, that's all for now Acid, looking forward to it ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:06 pm

I am all about the games so I love the mini systems. I think some of them could be cheaper but it's not the worst. Most of the games play good on them and I like the interface. The Flashback ones are kind of cheap and don't have a good menu.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:09 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Is all that in English?

:smwink:
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:46 pm

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Oh he's Canadian and might be bilingual like the Quebecers but it's game talk PB, he knows that stuff :lol: :batlol: :wwshock: :smsmh: ;) Heck, I say a little but more than Me believe it or not :shock:

OK, now listen, I gonna hold off on My idea I had to present, it can wait a bit because now Acid is got Me thinking and now I'm curious :?

Acid - I know the old NEOGEO & Turbografx and Famicon systems though never owned them, I had a chanc eto get the get the handheld Turbo Grafx but I chose Sega Game Gear instead. You keep on talking about these mini consoles. I maybe behind and not know much here so help Me out dude. I have only seen the NES & SNES briefly. I know the SNES one has Star Fox 2 which was unreleased decades ago. Do you have these? Are there others you have that I don't know about?

I'll tell ya what, post a few videos from You Tube on ALL of the systems you have with a possible games list cause your making Me think that they released a ton of Nintendo & Sega games from years past on these. I'd do My own research but I wanna ask the man who knows this stuff. Please post some really detailed vids dude with all the info and systems you have. OK, that's all for now Acid, looking forward to it ;)

Happy to. I'll hijack this thread for a few posts and get you up to speed. SNES Classic Mini does come with the Starfox 2 game. It has a great default library but you're actually able through various means to add some extra games.

I have the NES Classic Mini which comes with a fantastic library. Balloon Fight, bubble Bobble, Castlevania, Castlevania II, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Double Dragon II, Dr. Mario, Excite Bike, Final Fantasy, Galaga, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Gradius, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, Zelda, Mario Bros., Mega Man 2, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man, Punch-Out, Star Tropics, Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3 and Zelda II, Tecmo Bowl and more.
NCM_Konsole_mit_Controller.jpg

I also have the Famicom Mini which is the mini version of the Japanese NES. It comes with controllers that can be slotted into either side but because the console is "mini sized", this makes the controllers extremely small. Like I said, I rewired my Famicom and wired two actual 1980s Famicom controllers so you can use full size controllers with it.
Nintendo_CLV-101_20170617.jpg

They also have a 50th Anniversary Shonen Jump version of the Famicom Mini console which I have. It has special games that are only on this console. It's in a nifty gold color. I didn't bother modding the controllers on this one.
maxresdefault.jpg

I also have the SNES Classic Mini. As Brandon already said, it comes with a previously unreleased game, Star Fox 2. It also has a fantastic default library of games. Like I said, you can also use certain means to add some extra games if you want. The games you get include Contra III, DK Country, Earthbound, F-Zero, Final Fantasy VI, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Course, Zelda, Mega Man X, Secret of Mana, Star Fox, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Castlevania, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out and Yoshi's Island. That's one heck of a library.
1280px-Super_NES_Classic_Edition.jpg

This is the UK version of the SNES Classic Mini and looks the same as the Japanese one (Super Famicom Mini). I have the UK one, my childhood friend brought one for me the last time he was back in Canada. I also got the Japanese one to complete the set.
Nintendo_Classic_Mini_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_(enhanced_image).jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:02 am

As you can see, the consoles are smaller than the width of the gamepad in most cases which makes it way easier to store and the libraries are awesome and you can add more if you like through various means.

So now you know the Nintendo offerings thus far. TurboGrafx ended up doing their own mini consoles. These things are amazing. Dare I say, the menus are even better than the Nintendo ones. They also provide a ton of cool things like the CD system games and also TurboGrafx TurboExpress games. There are 3 versions, the US version, the UK/EU version and the Japanese version. I own all 3 of these and there's also a multi-tap connector as well. Pics below.

The TurboGrafx Mini is actually not that small. It's almost twice as big as the other mini consoles. The game library is huge. You really have to look up what you get with this console. I was blown away.
81IsZhpOuuL._AC_SX569_.jpg

61oq+t6UWpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

51Q6+tdRNKL._AC_SX679_.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The PC Engine Mini and PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini are smaller.
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:11 am

The NEOGEO offerings are totally different animals. They're self contained mini arcade systems that have a screen built in. You can also connect an HDMI cable and output it to your TV. You can get them with gamepads based on the NEOGEO CD gamepads. They come with a decent library of NEOGEO arcade games with a variety of fighters, beat 'em ups and shoot 'em ups and Metal Slug games.

NeoGeoMini.jpg

Currently, there are several versions including the International version, the Japanese version, Christmas edition and 3 Samurai Shodown editions. I bought the International edition, the Japanese edition and the Christmas edition. I'm considering getting at least one of the Shodown editions.

shodown.jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 am

Atgames also produced a number of mini consoles. If you're a classic classic CLASSIC gamer. I'm talking Ataris, ColecoVision, etc., Atgames produced a number of mini consoles as well. I made sure I got myself one of each and I have the X version of the Atari and the one just before it.

First, the Colecovision Flashback, this one honestly could be better and to this day, no one has discovered a way to add more games.
colecoflash.jpg

Next, the Intellivision Flashback. Same issue with this is the lack of ability to add games to it. It has some sentimental value since I own the original Intellivsion that I bought from a friend way back.
intelivis.jpg

Lastly, I think this is Atgames best offering, the Atari Flashback X. It's truly mini sized as you can see and it has the switches similar to the old Atari where as previous Atgames offerings had buttons.
Atari_Flashback_X_Console_800.jpg

71ci+OlZYVL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I also have an Atari Flashback 8 Gold (not pictured) mostly so I could play the games that have the Paddle dial controllers like Pong.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:36 am

Next is one of my most highly anticipated mini consoles and it was a total bummer when it finally came out. The Sony PlayStation Classic Mini. Visually it looks great and as you would expect but the default library left a lot to be desired and also, for some reason, many of the games were in PAL so they looked and played a bit funny on a North American TV. Like the other consoles, if you are tech savvy, you can tweak the console to add some games and also make it play a lot better. Now that I have it fully tweaked, I like it a lot more but it's not anywhere near the top of the list if I had to rank them all. The games look OK, I mean, it's PS1 so what do you expect? In some ways, the polygon graphics didn't age well and even the 8 and 16 bit games look a little nicer. Just my opinion. Comes with Final Fantasy VII, Twisted Metal, Tekken 3, Battle Arena Toshinden, Metal Gear Solid, Rayman, Rainbow Six, Wild Arms, Resident Evil and more. Definitely some classics but no Crash Bandicoot? That was practically Sony's Mario.

6301601_sd.jpg

get-your-retro-fix-with-sonys-playstation-classic-mini-conso_qx74.jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions