Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Just making sure you saw and watched what I did this morning before I get to the next ones. Thoughts and stuff about them N64 Baseball games before I get to part 3...don't miss it PB :?: :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:29 pm

Hmm, yeah, I never played an SNES really as everyone in the neighborhood went straight to the SEGA Genesis (it was easier to get the same system so you could borrow games from each other). Of those, the Griffey game looks the best. Fun seeing some old player names come across the screen.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:21 pm

I think SEGA Genesis and SNES each had their strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes it was down to certain capabilities and sometimes it was down to decisions made. I remember Wrestlemania the Arcade Game looked 100X better on SNES and had much better sound but the Genesis had Yokozuna and Bam Bam Bigelow. A similar thing with Mortal Kombat where the Genesis had the blood and proper finishing moves but the SNES again had better graphics and arguably better sound. I think overall, Street Fighter II looked and sounded better on the SNES but the Genesis had a more accurate arcade experience with Champion Edition.

I don't recall but I might have owned the Genesis first and then the SNES shortly after. On the SEGA, I remember I had (and still have) Holyfield, D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, WWF Wrestlemania the Arcade Game, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2, Comic Zone and Beyond Oasis. I think I had a couple of others.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 pm

PB - Yes, it was good having the same system when you had friends and whoever to play with :) Oh yes, the Griffey games were arguably the best then because they were so authentic and I love seeing the old guys too. Them games & the N64 still rock!

Acid - Oh both consoles had advantages over each other and that's what I kinda liked about'em. I was already a big Street Fighter fan but then MK came out and it was even more great. The rating system was a big deal then. SG was always more in options & realism and stuff while SNES was more graphics then again SG did do some stuff that the SNES did not graphically. SFCE was great! Oh yes, Wrestlemania the Arcade Game was huge for Me back then too and that's why i wanted it on SG & 32X because it had Yokozuna & Bam Bam Bigelow while the SNES lacked them! Sounds like you had/have a good selection of games there Acid :)

OK, well, next I'm gonna do baseball part 3 and then I got another little special i came up with that I'll do that I'm sure will make a big conversion, until then :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:55 am

OK, so here is part 3 of My baseball games that I own and have played and these are all for the next gen systems! Here it goes!

XBOX - Xbox 360 - Here is all of the games I have for Xbox 360!

All-Star Baseball 2003 - Since I didn't get an Xbox till 2014, I missed out on many, many games, however, some games were actually backwards compatible and this one of'em. Acclaim still had that classic feel from the N64 a bit but is updated yet isn't to far away from the classic rosters I was used too from years prior. Barry Bonds IS in the game too :o

All-Star Baseball 2005 - 2004 wasn't backwards compatible but this one, go figure :? :roll: It's really cool and has the option to collect cards in the game for points. To subsitue for Bonds, a fictional character was created called "Wes Mailman". He actually announces himself on one of the many billboards at the Philadelphia Phillies home games :o Me & My Grandma MiMi played both of these All-Star games a lot :)

MLB 2K7 - So after being the top company for so long, Acclaim is gone and suddenly 2K appears :? :roll: This game was one of the first true real life games ever but gosh, it's so hard to control but watch how REAL it is and it has a really cool setting with a little Fox Sports spice thrown it but it mostly has a classic EPSN feel to it with Jon Miller & Joe Morgan commentating!

MLB 2K13 - Now this one is superb and with much better controls, Its one of the most realistic baseball games I have ever played with a cool soundtrack as well! It's very Fox Sports like as well!

The Bigs Series: 1 & 2 - Oh man, 2K was at it again :o I know your a fan of the WWF Legends of Wrestlemania & WWE All-Stars by THQ PB. Well, 2K took over THQ and they they made 2 baseball games JUST LIKE THEM :o They are 2 of My fave baseball games of all-time, I love the insane gameplay and realism. One thing I loved about them is that they reminded Me of Ken Griffey's N64 games! I My fave of the two is The Bigs 2. I love ballparks & cities, the announcer, the awesome power pitches and the huge home run power ups and these are so fun!

On the first one, that GREEDY TRAITOR Pujos is on the cover, the one I have is apparently a rare cover because it has Justin Morneau on it :?:

Watch the huge home run @ 6:00, its so awesome!

Xbox Avatar Home Run Challenge - Now this is an Indie game that was available on Xbox 360 Live before they shut down the servers. Sometimes I really like games like that, they can be really fun. Anyway here is this really fun & cute Home Run Derby game that your Avatar can play!

PS4 - I don't have that many ballgames for the Playstation 4 but their great though :)

MLB The Show 15 - This is a tremendously realistic ballgame, possibly the most ever! It's actually made by Sony. There is many titles in this series but this is the only one I have.

Baseball Stars 1 & 2 - This was by SNK. I don't know much you or your kids shop on your PS4 but there is a ton of great arcade games there and many of them are NEO-GEO games by SNK & HAMSTER! This is a great way to make up for not getting that system back in the day or getting youngsters to play great & fun stuff of the past so they know how it was! They are usually only $7.99 each! Anyway, a while back I was looking to see if there was any other good classic ballgames on PS4 and possibly like the aforementioned Roger Clemons' MVP Baseball cause I loved it so much. Well, I kinda did in that style and boy are they fun.They both came out in the early 90s! They have power plays and like a lot of HAMSTER games you can save your spot and have infinite lives/continues and back again! Part 2 is My favorite of the series and look at that beautiful 3D graphics :o

That's all for now, I hope you liked it and and had fun. I have another idea for next time and your gonna love it :)
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:24 am

It's been a while since I played a baseball game much. My son got MLB The Show from last year, and I played it a couple times with him but it seemed overly complicated and I couldn't even figure out how to throw to the right base, lol. Just give me an A and a B button.

I liked the original Baseball Stars for the NES. I think I played that version a few times on the Neo Geo arcade game that had a bunch of games you could choose from.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:23 am

I see PB. Shame. Yeah, on the newer ballgames the controls can be complicated compared to yesteryears offerings like I said MLB 2K7. I never the played the NES Baseball Stars. Ah, your talking about a compilation or collection...what a coincidence, that was next idea here :? Here we go :)

Arcade classics (Sega Genesis) - The was one of the first of the kind, it was really good and one of the last games for the system :)

Midway Arcade Classics (Xbox 360) - Holy toledo, remember when you posted Xenophobe PB :?: Well, the game is actually INCLUDED IN THIS :o I totally missed it because I barely played this set at all :? It has many great titles like Spy Hunter 1 & 2, Smash TV, Offroad, Pit Fighter and a superb arcade port of Rampage with Ralph :shock: This set is radical :batsmile:

Capcom Digital Collection (Xbox 360) - This is a great set. I mostly got it because of Final Fight and Street Fighter :batsmile:

ALL PS4 now!

Atari Flashback Series - With ALL of this talk you have had PB about Atari over the last several months with your memories and commercials, I thought these would be right up your alley :) There are 3 sets and they are a bit expensive, they weren't that easy to get price wise but gosh they are well worth it because each one has dozens of classic games on'em and since I and since I never had an Atari system, this was a huge second chance for Me to finally play them games :)

Sega Genesis Classics - Oh I love this one. With all of this talk about Sega Genesis I thought this was so appropriate to mention. I love the way it starts up in the room in REAL time and shows you day, dusk and night time, it's just so cool. There is a lot of titles here and a few surprises including Virtua Fighter 2 and Space Harrier 1 and yes, The Golden Ax & Shinobi series' , Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3 and Altered Beast are included here but there are some crucial ones missing like After Burner, Virtua Racer, Ecco the Dolphin and Sonic 3, Knuckles & CD which search Me as to why they skipped'em, :? :roll: Everything is just like how it was before, there is no updates to the games. There was a bigger one with more games on Xbox 360 and a gold version with many more games on the PC years ago but really I prefer the one for the PS4 because I just love it's style and especially with the aforementioned room were you see a Genesis system and take out the cartridges and pu'em back in just like real thing :!:

SNK 40TH Anniversary - Oh boy, I had to get this title, I love SNK and this set has a lot of titles. Baseball Stars isn't here which was disappointing but one of the selling points for Me is this has many of their great war games including Guerilla War (I have mentioned I loved that for the NES in My showcase recently) but the big sweet additional option is that most games here have 2 VERSIONS OF THEM :o You can either choose Arcade or Console aka NES :shock: YES, that was huge for ME and I would think it would be for others as well :) You get so much with this one :batsmile:

Konami Classics: Contra, Castlevania and Arcade Classics - OK, here we go. I said leave them to Me so here they are :batsmile: I am a big Konami fan. I just digged Contra when I first played played it on the NES as it was a mixture of Alien, Predator and Rambo...just awesome :batsmile: Super C was great but wow I loved Contra III: The Alien War on the SNES, one of My most fave games of all-time. However, the selling point for Me was Contra: Hard CORPS which was for the Sega Genesis, that is My fave game of the whole series! I was disappointed that it only has one Game Boy version and that was Contra 2 but why didn't they include Contra III, what a missed opportunity bummer :roll: This is a great set and a must for any Contra fan :) Same goes for Castlevania, I have many great memories of playing them long ago on the NES & SNES especially Simon's Quest and Super Castlevania IV. The selling point again was a Sega Genesis game and that Castlevania: Bloodlines because that's also My fave of this series :o However, another thing that is extremely disappointing is that it doesn't have any titles after that so that means not Dracula X, Symphony of the Night and it was hugely bittersweet for Me that THEY TOTTALLY DISREGARED the versions for the N64 and I loved them games :shock: :roll: The set does have an unreleased console game however from 1990 called Kid Dracula. It was a Japanese mini game that is nothing like the Castlevania series rather a bit like Mario. It's a cute and fun bonus. The set is tremendous if you ignore My gripes. Last is the Konami classics is the focus of Gradius and I believe it includes every title within the series and some great bonues. One big point here is that it has Haunted Castle :o It was supposed to a reboot of Castlevania than turned out to be non-canon at all. It's really good and this is a great, satisfying set.

NOTE: If you did I can't help ya but at the PS store DO NOT buy Haunted Castle or any of the Gradius games because their all in this set as it it cheaper getting them together than individually and the same goes for Contra as well, just a big tip from Me :)

Wow, there we go. I hope you liked this and maybe even were a bit surprised and you might want to research more on them because they are great. I have others I'll talk about soo like more Capcom and NES, Mario and Sonic compilations :o OK. I'm gonna take a small hiatus from the topic. Comment on these and if you got questions or whatever then post away PB and Acid, you can join too ya know ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:41 am

It's funny, all the years I had game systems I never really bought or rented any of those compilation games. In my weird mind I'd already played those and at current prices why would I pay for something I already had owned or played when there were so many new games to try out? Weird, I know. I'm the same way with comics as I refuse to buy trade paperbacks, if I can't get the first print comic then I won't read it. At least that's how I was.

I had the Atar Flashback and NES Classic, for some reason they're okay, but some of the magic feels lost without the cartridges.

As for the Neo Geo, it was an arcade cabinet I remember popping up in the 90s at places like Putt-Putt, bowling alleys, etc. You could choose from a bunch of games.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:05 pm

I used to feel the exact same way, Pb, with regards to games and comics but at some point, I went the opposite. Now I exclusively collect trades/omnis and mini-consoles. I sold off the majority of my collections and just kept what I had particular sentimental attachment to. I just have a small handful of cartridge games and opted for mini console equivalents to all the game systems I owned and even the ones I didn't own. It used to matter to me on the whole preserving of the integrity of the console I played it on or the book I read it from but not so much now.

I don't know what happened. I guess at some point, the tangible feel of the original hardware was lost to me and the experience of blowing on the cartridge before I put it into the Nintendo and fire it up wasn't the same. And another thing is I just don't have the room to keep the library I would want for games nor do I want to worry about having a CRT TV available to play these 10 years from now. If space and money wasn't an issue, I'd love to still have all my old stuff but the thing I noticed is that I still enjoy a lot of these old games and the mini consoles do a good enough job of recreating a similar game experience for me.

I still get a kick out of reading floppies from time to time but for me, it's hard to beat the convenience of having trades because the entire run in all there, even the rare stuff, so I can read it all without worrying about being too precious or missing a key issue that I don't have that's essential to the story.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:54 am

Huh, interesting guys. I do not have the mini consoles. I love the cartridges, that's one of the reasons why I wanted a N64 over Playstation & Sega Saturn way back in the day but I have gotten so used to games on disc and now digital of this past decade but for Me, I wanna get as much as I can that I couldn't back then and sometimes getting these compilations is a great why of doing it plus there is bonuses as well and if it means to not put the cartridge in and not have complete nostalgia then so be it, at least I got a bit of that old feeling of playing classics :)

OK, well, I got another idea. It'll be for tomorrow, see you then ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions