Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

WWE Mattel McMahon HORRIBLE DEAL :{

Wanna talk about your LJN Hulkster or that weird, skinny body Samoa Joe TNA figure? Maybe you've got some cool wrestling swag? Step up to the gorilla position and snap in to it, oh yeah!

WWE Mattel McMahon HORRIBLE DEAL :{

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:35 am

So this is very long over due so here it goes :o Do you wonder why I bash Mattel all the time :?: Do think I say things just to say them :?: I am NOT a person to do such things like that, I don't like bashing anything unless I have to and I have a good reason to when I do and in this case it's a bad one :roll:

Remember when Mattel just got the licensed to make WWE figures back in 2010 and they had that huge hype deal in 2011 to get a free Vince McMahon figure? Well, I didn't forget nor will I ever! I have put this in the back in My head like I have so many other countless things in My life that I try hard to ignore but there is ALWAYS something to remind of crappy times. I was already involved heavily in Mattel's MOTUC & GBCs (I have nearly the whole collection of both!) I mean everyday it was Matty this and that either on the Matty Board or finding out what is coming out next and so on. I was buying stuff like expensive Sideshow Premium Format & Dinosauria figures that I so regret. Yeah, I had money then but it's not like that anymore :roll: So, I tried to keep it cool and stuff about Mattel they way they were and how poorly they handled their lines. So I got back involved with wrestling in 2010 with TNA and got back into WWE in 2011 (I didn't quit involving wrestling over the previous years however as I always watched My old VHS tapes and played the old games, My passion for the sport never left Me but I kept up with the new stuff off and on via web sites & YT and the like) and it was fun. I was excited to collect the new figures. Then they had the new McMahon figure deal. I thought it was cool but darn the figures were so expensive I mean $15.99 for 1 figure when I could get a few of them for that price way back when and I'm talking classic WWF Jakks, ToyBiz WCW & OSTM WCW & ECW. Things were pathetically changing then only to develop into how things are now :roll: I mean stuff was becoming so unaffordable, games weren't games anymore, seemed like every movie was CGI and had to have silly trends in stat still continues and wrestling definitely wasn't the same anymore.

Now off to this and this should have been a grand time for Me but oh no, it couldn't, could it :x One day then in the summer of 2011 My Grandma needed to go somewhere and I said to her I'll go with ya but after that I wanna go to TRU and get them new WWE figs so I can get that free Vinnie Mac figure. She said OK. After she was doing what needed to be done, we stopped at TRU and I was excited, I always loved going there but it was so different compared to years prior however, the toy magic just wasn't there :roll: There it was, the WWE Mattel isle and the Vinnie Mac display was seen, I was quite euphoric to say the least :o :)

NOTE: I took ALL the pics from 2011 :shock: NOTE: The red car on the left in the right pic with the Chihuahua bobble-head, that's My Grandma's Garfield Express, I had said about it earlier that some dumb drunk totaled it in 2017 and we got nothing for it :(

There it was, the WWE Mattel isle and the Vinnie Mac display :o :)

So you saw all of that, it was fun taking them pics and being there. I bought so much, I basically bought every figure of the kind to My liking to qualify to get the free fig. I spent $375 + there :!: :o :batconfused: :wwshock: :smgasp: I know, it's so insane, the prices were so ridiculously high and you got silly people like Me who was so happy to get this stuff and wouldn't think anything of it. I wanted to build My collection in a hurry and not wait like I did when I was a youngster. So I got the figures that I needed to qualify such as the Elites, the Defining moments and of course the Legends. So like the old days when they used to have mail-aways where you send it points & cash/checks and I did My part and so like a little kid I was waiting for My Vinnie Mac figure and several weeks went by and what happen :?

He didn't arrive to Me, a month or so went by and still nothing. I was worried that he got lost in the mail or something. So I called Mattel and ya know what they said :?: They said My order didn't qualify and I'm like what, I bought what was needed and sent in My proof of purchases and even the darn receipts that even said HOW MUCH I SPENT! I EVEN MADE THEM AT TRU GIVE ME A COPY FOR CRY'IN OUT LOUD FOR PROOF. They said their was nothing they could do no matter what I said, they were really jacks to Me. So I got so stressed out I couldn't take it anymore, I called My Grandma & Mom to see what they thought and they're like, heck yeah, we doubled checked your stuff so they both called Mattel to help Me out and they were even worse to them, I MEAN THEY WERE CALLING THEM NAMES & EVEN LIARS :( After that we wrote to the WWE but they couldn't do nothing about it supposedly and that was that. We had enough of it. This was the first time something like this had ever happen, all the mail-away figures I got years and years before then from Kenner & Hasbro and others, nothing like that ever occurred :roll: :x :(

Now you know the reason why I am about Mattel and their WWE figures. Now you know why they have left such a stain on Me and left such a bittersweet & sour taste in My mouth...now you know why I complain about Mattel, who is a billionaire company with their poor-mouthin' budget crap, ToyGuru being such a you know what. I don't forget these times while everybody else just does :roll: I hate this current crap too like we NEED backers in the crowdfunding offers especially for this WWF New Generation set even though most of it has already been released before. I mean I'm sick of it, people doing this crowdfunding stuff and just giving in to the BEYOND INSANE prices of this pathetic day & age and especially to the greedy, SOB company like them and don't get Me started about them woke corporate locusts Hasbro! It's also bad enough that other companies like McFarlane, NECA, Sideshow and others make the same stuff that has been made so much so many times over the decades, I mean their all generic and now, they used to be special :roll:

So there it is, It's finally off of My chest :roll: :( Oh by the way, I bought many other WWE figures on eBay & Family Dollar...I mean I had every wrestler that was released and some variants and the ring and more. What did I do with all of them figures you ask :?: ...oh but I sold My entire collection for a lot :!: I mean I couldn't stand to look at them much less to display them I mean they were going to waste when I could have sold them and got a ton of moolah for them :) However, I only kept 2 and that was The Brothers of Destruction, look for them in a future "regular" showcase. That's it about this horrible WWE Mattel Experience :!: :batrage: :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: WWE Mattel McMahon HORRIBLE DEAL :{

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:51 am

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I don't miss the DCUC Toy Guru days of "no plans now, but you never know".
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:38 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about your sour experience with Mattel and specifically their WWE line, too. That does suck and you must have felt like they screwed you pretty badly on that mail-away scam. I've had a bittersweet relationship with Mattel myself but I guess the difference is that I live in Canada so we already pay a huge markup on toys even back in the day. That's on things we could even find in the toy stores. Half the time, Canadian collectors find ourselves paying more for the shipping than the toy itself which is just crazy.

I remember when I signed up to Matty's subscription model and they had that crappy Digital River logistics company and they were charging us more than the cost of the toys to ship and when it arrived, we had to pay crazy brokerage fees and duties on top of that. I guess since we already overpay for things in Canada, the crowdfunding prices don't seem so crazy inflated. I know people were paying $30 for a Jakks real scale ring in the US, $30 or less. I think in Canada, we had to pay around $140 after all was said and done.

At some point, I had a friend in the US who was super nice and offered to have my US purchases shipped to him and then he would unbox them all and ship them out to me after they accumulated but while he never complained, I felt kind of bad after a while because I knew he was going through some things.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 pm

PB - Thanks :) Oh I don't either, I dealt with his stuff and his darn quotes since the beginning of the MOTUC but really a bit before that and then what does he do... :? ...jumps ship to Jakks Pacific of all companies, that was a great feeling too after all of what did to Mattel customers :x

Acid - Thanks a lot dude, I appreciate that :) Gosh, I knew you Canadians had to pay more on stuff but not THAT MUCH :o I had no idea about that :smsmh: Well congrats on your friend and I can see why you felt bad, I'm sure it wasn't easy for him. Oh yeah, I remember Digital River, who could forget that :? I mean their shipping was so far out, everybody complained back then on the Matty Board especially even the people that lived in the same area they were in...oh and not to mention all of the server issues that happen over them years, it was so ridicules. As many probs as I went thru along with many others back then, I kinda miss them days of Matty Collector, I mean it was fun at times shopping, getting that special figure before it was sold out in literally minutes and getting them figures in the mail and talking on the Matty Board about it :roll:

Thanks guys from the replies & understanding, I appreciate that a lot :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:59 am

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but damn those are some crazy pictures you took. I cannot believe how many rare figures you had access to right then and there back in the day. That Rick Martel and the Defining Moments Warrior. Some rare figs for sure.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:00 am

Yeah unfortunately I passed on a bunch of those back in the day including that Warrior and the Bret from the same line. I did get most of the Legends line though that had Martel, the Road Warriors, etc.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:25 am

OSN - I'm glad you acknowledged the pics :) I wanted this to be a grand event but of course it wasn't :batrage: Yep, I got that Warrior & Martel, I loved them two guys back in the early days and they were 2 I had to have. I got that rare Zack Ryder and basically everybody you saw there sans duplicates of course.

Acid - Oh the Legends was a must. They were My main series.

Oh I had LOD, Demolition, Mr. Perfect, Bulldog, Pillman, Duggan, Macho WM 7, Piper, TMDM, Akeem and more. Of course I got the current guys at the time too. The thing is I still gave in like a fool because I wanted them Legends sometime after My fiasco but couldn't stand it any further so I finally sold them in 2014 :roll:

Thanks guys :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:25 am

OSN - I'm glad you acknowledged the pics :) I wanted this to be a grand event but of course it wasn't :batrage: Yep, I got that Warrior & Martel, I loved them two guys back in the early days and they were 2 I had to have. I got that rare Zack Ryder and basically everybody you saw there sans duplicates of course.

Acid - Oh the Legends was a must. They were My main series.

Oh I had LOD, Demolition, Mr. Perfect, Bulldog, Pillman, Duggan, Macho WM 7, Piper, TMDM, Akeem and more. Of course I got the current guys at the time too. The thing is I still gave in like a fool because I wanted them Legends sometime after My fiasco but couldn't stand it any further so I finally sold them in 2014 :roll:

On a side note, it really pains Me it happen, things just seemed so much better way back when you could go to a toy store and get a wrestling figure for so cheap back in the day like the ones I have showed in My collections and have nothing like this, not even a hint of something like this happening...it's just so pathetic :roll:

Thanks guys :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:19 pm

Brandon, glad you got your moneys worth from selling those figures. I don't think you're pathetic for caving in and buying more. If you want them you want them. You paid the price of admission and whether or not their prices are fair can be argued but the point is you paid so you are entitled to enjoy them as you like even if you hate the company and also you can sell them because they are yours.

I learned a long time ago that for the most part I dislike the toy companies Mattel and Hasbro but I will always like a lot of the stuff they make. As a customer, I am able to complain about them and their practices and toys but I do not have an obligation to buy or not buy their toys. If I skip something I really want in protest I will only hurt myself. I hope you don't keep yourself from buying or enjoying their stuff just because they screwed you. If you legit fell out of love with their toys then that is another matter.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:47 am

Well thanks ONS, I actually didn't think I was pathetic but thanks anyway ;) Oh I haven't stopped liking their products. If you noticed in My Grandma MiMi's tribute I showed My Street Sharks and their made by Mattel. This wasn't just a great time then but also way before I knew stuff about Mattel, seemed liked they were a bit more considerate then like others too. Sometimes I do get stuff from them & Hasbro or others that isn't My faves because sometimes it's the only way to get what i what no matter whom you buy it from or it's nothing else. I completely understand and stopping on some company that I don't like but no, I haven't with stuff I like and yes it's My choice. Thanks for the little advise and the reply ONS, I appreciate that very much :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to Wrestling Toys & Collectibles