Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Yo, Adrian! I was thinking about an arcade game last night in bed (sad, I know) that I'll probably write up later, and that led to me thinking of Altered Beast and the Sega Master System. Now, I never owned one, but the Hills Department store near me had a demo setup in the electronics section that I would immediately go to when my parents went shopping. I don't remember how many game options the system had, I think you could play Out Run and Altered Beast, and then I remembered something I probably hadn't thought of in 30 years. It's crazy how suddenly a memory hits you!

There was a boxing game I played! Now, from the Arcade thread I mentioned Ring King and Punch Out. It seems I liked boxing games, even though I've probably seen maybe five boxing matches in my life that didn't involve the WWF. But I couldn't remember what the game was called and something like that would bug me to the point where I wouldn't fall asleep, so I had to get up and do a Google search, and lo and be hold, the game of course was...

It was a fun game. Nobody I knew had a Sega back then, everyone had an NES (except this one kid named, ironically enough, Mario who lived with just his mother and was as spoiled as hell and had a Neo Geo). It's funny, watching the video, the in-between rounds scenes are so much more of a memory to me than the actual fighting, and I haven't thought of this game in ages, but man, it just all came back to me last night and I thought I share that.

You had to box your way all the way through the first four movies since it came out three years before Rocky V you didn't have to worry about any issues that might arise from boxing Tommy Gunn.

There's no easy way out. There's no short cut home.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:31 pm

BrandonDaCollector wrote:I might look into Fire PW, it looks like its incredible. Never played the LOTR, love the movies however. Glad you played Battlefront. I see you are a big gamer :) Like I said before, I had a big hiatus in gaming in the 2000s so there was a lot of wrestling games and stuff that I missed.

Let me know if you do ever get into Fire Pro Wrestling. The CAWS and custom modes are crazy and I would happily play alongside you as there is a lot of fun trading and simulating to do. :smgrin:

Pb: I've never played that Rocky game but it looks like a fun blast from the past that I wouldn't mind trying.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:03 pm

My days of getting deeply invested in any kind of video game are long gone.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:27 am

Acid, will do but gotta get some extra funds if I do.

PB - You not hijacking this topic, that game totally fits within it. And why is it sad when you were in bed thinking of it :? Does your wife share the same game enthusiasm as you and maybe even play with you and the kids :?:

OK, I never played that Rocky game before, I knew about the Mega Drive for years even when I got My NES but I didn't get My Genesis 2 till 1994. This is the one I have with the 32X & Sega CD which is has become My favorite system of all-time :batsmile:

Funny you posted Rocky, I was watching Buster Douglas on WWF Saturday Night's Main Event from 1990 last night with Hogan & The Macho King (I might post a little special about later) :? So here is the 2 boxing games I have for the Sega and both are classics :!:

Here is the gameplay

and here is the other one which was My fave of the 2 :o

Gameplay, I used to play this with My Grandma all the time :)

These were great. Like I had said in My original topic, IMO Sega was always ahead of Nintendo in graphics, storage of how the cases were and all of it. When the SNES came out it was a bit more capable in things than the Genesis then the 32X happen, too bad people ha dto b ethe way they were :roll: I'll get into that later :) It always seemed like they just had the edge over things including blood (I'll post about the Mortal Kombat issue later).

That's all from Me for now, until next time :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:03 am

Oh, I had that Holyfield game, too. I remember those graphics for sure. It was a pretty good game with being able to make your own boxer. I don't know what it was about boxing games, lol. I guess I like organized face punching.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:11 pm

Acid, will do but gotta get some extra funds if I do.

Sounds good. You should wait for a sale. I've seen it pretty cheap during sales.

I also had Holyfield. I enjoyed it for the most part. I remember that when you win by TKO, they shout "STOP THE FIGHT!" and there was a code where if you entered thebeast or something as your name, your custom boxer's skin would turn green and you would be ridiculously strong.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 am

Acid - It does but I don't know, I'm low on doe :roll:

Guys - Yes, the options were great and I loved the create a boxer (CAB - Is that thing) option too. I loved the blood and whelps on the heads and punching the heck outta that head :o

So, I thought of doing this before I do somethin' new. I posted this in My original topic last year around Halloween time and I think it got over looked. I have a couple more like this for next time :)

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Predator 2 for the Sega Genesis: This was really a surprise when I first played it. I loved the film so playing a game inspired of it was a treat to behold! If you read My in-depth write up of LJN & Acclaim in My Vintage Action figure topic then you'll know I am a big fan of Arena and company! This great rail shooter came out in 1990  :shock: Yeah, while Nintendo was still doing 8-bit and only in the early days of the SNES, Sega was already established as a true competitor with their 16-bit Genesis :!: One thing was Sega's booklets were always good but in black & white as opposed to SNES' colored booklets, this was kinda an issue for Me back in the day but I got used to it and it was all good and fun :)

Here is the full gameplay!

:

That was one of the many classic games we got at Star Video, My Grandma pulled off some great deal there ;) Like I said, got a couple more for next time :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:51 pm

That Buster Douglas game I guess is worth a lot of money in the Sega Master System edition. I found out when I was looking for what boxing game I played.

Don't think I ever played that. I was really into sports in the 90s, so the majority of the games I would buy/rent were sports theme or Final Fantasy. Anyone remember Arch Rivals or Super Dodgeball?

It's funny, when I was a kid it felt like these graphics were amazing, and now looking at some of them...well, they're pretty prehistoric.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:12 am

I played both Arch Rivals and Super Dodgeball a lot. The graphics aren't amazing by today's standards but as you said, at the time, especially compared to other offerings, Super Dodgeball's graphics are very good. Super Dodgeball is actually a part of a franchise called Kunio-kun. We got some of those games here. One of them is Renegade, that weird game where you fight a bunch of gang members at a subway station and River City Ransom. It's like a Double Dragon game but the sprites look like the Dodgeball guys because they're the same characters.

renegade-cover.cover_300x.jpg

download.png

River_City_Ransom-front.jpg

rcr.jpg
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:18 am

I remember playing River City a lot, you could go into to different restaurants and by different kinds of food as level ups. It was fun. I know I played Renegade as well, it just didn't stick with me as much.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions