Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Yo, Do you remember: EDGE in WCW???!!!

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Yo, Do you remember: WCW MARVEL COMICS & MORE?

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:25 am

Of course you remember that WCW had action figures by ToyBiz aka Marvel Toys as I brought back the memory of them in My great WCW ToyBiz showcase in My grand Vintage Wrestling Topic but did you know that WCW was featured in actual Marvel Comics years before hand :?: Well, if ya do then you get a thumbs ups, if ya didn't then boy are you in for a treat :batsmile:

NOTE: I wanted to post these a while back but didn't have a chance, there is so much for Me to do ;)

So it was during a really cool time, arguably the best & unusual of times in wrestling. In was 1992 :o Hogan was leaving wrestling, time for new faces in the WWF, however, things were quite different over at WCW. Sting was finally becoming the face of the company as Flair was still in the Federation and Lex Luger was going to Vinnie Mac's WBF (I featured a HUGE showcase of that in the WWF, Yo, Do You Remember topic, check it out when you can, it's incredible how I made it) and he appeared at Wrestlemania 8 via satellite. Sting became world champ and there was many kinds of different wrestlers there compared to the WWF.

The series was short lived and they were hard to get in My area. I only got 2 issues, My Grandma got'em for Me at 7-Eleven of all places and I remember seeing them at the newsstands, it was kinda surprising really :o These were actual comic books unlike the cools ones I showed of the WWF ones before. There will be samples of BOTH WCW issues :batshock: :smgasp: :wwshock:

Here is the very first comic that published and it's got Lex Luger on the cover and he is still world champ and a major heel with Harley Race & Mr. Hughes. Take a gander inside, there's T2, I got the Game Boy version that it advertises there (Spoiler!). This was the April, 1992 issue. There is Ron Simmons, Johnny B. Badd and others. More ads including X-Men trading cards and the back cover was baseball!

Issue #2 which was July, Sting is on the cover and he is world champ now. Look at Johnny B. Badd in the corner, this was a few years before his "Wildman" Marc Mero time in the WWF. Hah, would you look at that, "Stunning" Steve Austin & The Diamond Studd aka Scott Hall :) NOTE: I took these pics long ago.

Oh man, WCW was always known to have mystery & one off wrestlers and here is one that was exclusive to the comic or was it :? It was THE GHOUL :!: He was all in black & neon green but who is he? Is he wrestling's version of Scareglow :? He is after Ron Simmons & Sting whatever his identity is :smhuh: :wwsmh: :batsmh:

Holy ring rust, he's gonna reveal himself, why it's "Ravishing" Rick Rude :o :batshock: :smsmh: :wwshock:

There's a Marvel ad, a basketball game for the Sega Genesis (no I do not have that one) and Honey, I Blew the Kid! That concludes the second Marvel WCW Comic :!:

So were you surprised :?: That isn't the only time that happen in WCW, they got the idea to it in the comic as Rude actually donned a very similar gimmick in real life :smgasp: :batshock: :wwhuh:

The WCW Phantom @ WCW Halloween Havoc 1991: Yep, it was many months before the comic inspiration. This is one of My favorite WCW Halloween Havoc events (89 & 95 were great too!) and this is one of the reasons!

That was his debut in the company! He was away from the WWF for about a year and he would have a good a run there until his unfortunate injury. Amazing how he was a part of the Dangerous Alliance. I really liked Madusa, she was My fave next to Miss Elizabeth in WCW.

Well, this was originally going to be a part of My Vintage Marvel showcase but I thought about separating it and posting it sooner since I am still in the 80s. Once I do that showcase I may repost it again anyway. Well, I hope you were surprised a bit at something you didn't remember or maybe something you didn't even know :) Until the next one I'll see you around :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:31 pm

Had no idea these existed, lol.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:53 pm

I saw some of them at my local comic book shop and I owned a couple of them. I remember know had P.N. News and another one had a match with Sting and another wrestler and they were rolling around fighting. I thought they were pretty cool.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:10 am

Well I'm glad you didn't know PB :)

Acid, I think one of these has P.N. News in it, I just didn't take a pic. Cool you knew about'em :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do you remember: SEVEN in WCW?

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:56 am

Yo, do you remember Seven or Se7en in WCW in late 1999 :?: Watch & listen to ALL of this IN ORDER, ONE BY ONE :batsmile:

Here is a small video package of his in WCW...

Here his his theme, he had one of the best, most obscure themes EVER IMO :o I bet have listened to this a could hundred times over years, I love it :batgrin:

and here is his debut on Monday Nitro on November 9th, 1999 :!:

So, if you did it in order then you saw a spooky character that was completely a mystery that turned a young boy into a black eyed child (we talked about them before a while back). When he debuted he had such a chilling entrance like no other. This was one of the most shocking debuts of all-time because the character was completed ruined by the wrestler breaking it & shooting on the company thus making what was supposed to be a cool fantasy made the concept of wrestling way less believable and I believe this was one of the first times something of this magnitude happen besides the nWo forming & the Montreal Screwjob occurring. This was one factor I didn't like about the attitude era but the web didn't help either. I mean spooky and fun stuff just wasn't working like it should have later on like the Ministry of Darkness & The Brood was great but as always the best & funnest things never last and then we get Vinnie Mac, Austin & the Rock and Russo and his partner in crime Ed "Oklahoma" Ferrara shoved down our throats till it becomes like Groundhog Day :roll: What happen was they dropped the character immediately because of parents thinking & fearing that this "new" wrestler was a pedophile or child molester. It was ALL Vic Venom's aka Vince Russo (who just got off the heels of making Owen Hart that dreadful & deadly stunt) clever idea to do it when he first got to WCW as the Powers That Be. I never thought that Se7en was a child abductor or anything like that for one second as he was some sort of a boogeyman, the creature of the night in your closet and at your window just like I knew Goldust wasn't a gay guy or anything of that kind that when he debuted in the WWF in 1995 cause I knew he was DUSTIN RHODES from WCW and that was WITHOUT the web...I just knew it was him! I don't blame the parents and especially now with H0lliwe1rd. When I was a wrestling reporter in the middle to late 90s, I knew Dustin was leaving the WWF but they kept it kinda secret for a while as I didn't know what he was gonna do till I saw the vignettes. The character break was at the last minute and from what I recall back in the day, only the heads and certain people behind the scenes knew it, there was extremely little on the web about it at the time but when it happen it was pretty big :batshock:

I always thought it was a bummer that this happen, I thought the Se7en character was brilliant and could have been another reboot of Dustin that was great and maybe on par with The Undertaker as IMO he could have had a run similar like his. I mean Dustin could easily change his voice as THAT'S HIM in the vignette & theme tron and he could change his wrestling style as well not to mention his theme was incredible. Dustin is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all-time that was never a world champ.

So do you remember Seven and this ultra shoot that Dustin did? Or is this something new to you :?:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm

I never cared for the idea of Seven. It was kind of an eye rolling. I remember it was supposed to be like the movie Dark Coty characters, that was actually a pretty good film I saw in the theatre back then (I wonder how it holds up). Like Black Reign in TNA, it just felt kind like a lame carbon copy. I remember thinking the vignettes in WCW were kind of lame more than creepy. I would've rather they tried something new with him instead of looks that would only draw comparison to Goldust. Yes, his AEW look is basically Goldust in a different color, but it's not like he's trying to be a version of Goldust.

Plus, nothing against Dustin back then, but he wasn't exactly in the best pf shape so the look always made me think of fat Marlon Brando in The Island of Doctor Moreau more than the Strangers, which made it seem sadly comical.

Dark City Strangers

Fat Brando

Remember Rellik in TNA with him? I didn't pay too much attention to it, but I don't know if I ever knew that was Johnny the Bull.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:25 am

Oh yeah, saw both movies and they were pretty good. Yeah, he did resemble them but I don't think it was their intention. Thanks for the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 am

So do you remember The Shockmaster in WCW :?: Now this is unfortunately one of the most notorious things that WCW is known for and a lot of stuff like this but hey, at least they tried a lot of crazy things that the WWF didn't like say Halloween Havoc. Anyway, this was back in at WCW Clash of the Champions XXIV on August 23, 1993 as Sid & the British Bulldog were now there along with Ric Flair & Sting and the new brothers duo of Harlem Heat & Col. Robert Parker. They were getting ready for WAR GAMES!

Here is the SHOCKING debut

As you just saw he fell right out of the wall and his STORM TROOPER helmet fell right off :o I don't know how anybody didn't have at least a chuckle out of it. I Myself always thought it was such a botch that just ruined the potential of the character and never really thought it was funny at all and I still don't. He was actually Tugboat aka Typhoon in the WWF :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp:

So he was kind repackaged from being a 400 pound Storm Trooper from Star Wars to an earthly electrician with a hard hat. He was dominant though he never went anywhere. After this he went back to the WWF for a brief return to retaliate against Yokozuna for destroying Earthquake in 1994 but his return wasn't that successful. Here is 3 matches.

The RETURN! He made one last appearance at the SDCC 2016, the former Tugboat Typhoon met a very different Becky Lynch from today's incarnation of her!

So did you remember The Shockmaster or are you like who could forget him and if so what was your first thoughts of when you first saw him :?: Did you know he was Typhoon or somebody else :?:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do you remember: The SHOCKMASTER????????

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:39 am

Wasn't watching at the time, but I've seen this many times since. It was a terrible idea to use something so easily identifiable as a Stormtrooper helmet. I'm not sure there was anyway it could've gotten over even without the moment. I could go to AMVETs with $10 right now and probably make a better costume. The funny part is, that moment will live on in wrestling forever, way beyond any shelf life the character could've had without that incident.

The actual planned outfit sounded interesting, as Fred Ottman described it: "What I wore on “Flair for the Gold” wasn’t the original outfit. That was just for going out on that segment. I still have the original outfit, matter of fact. It’s blue and it has gold lightning bolts going down the legs … and a Mexican-style mask with a lightning bolt going through the face and the top was where my hair would come out. So that was an actual wrestling outfit. The outfit you saw was what they wanted me to go out in, you know. Just take the shirt off, put on the top, which actually belonged to one of the Colossal Kongs. And the helmet itself was a “Here, put this on and see if you can see out of it” kind of deal. Last minute."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Yo, Do you remember: The SHOCKMASTER????????

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 pm

Wow. That potential costume sounds almost like Raiden's costume from SNK's Fatal Fury game which predated the WCW character. I wonder if that ever had anything to do with the inspiration. I somehow doubt it but who knows what some of the costume designers were in to at the time. Raiden was loosely based on other WCW major player Big Van Vader. You can tell even more so when he's in his unmasked Big Bear identity.

Raiden

raiden-bigbear-fatalfury-wildambition-full-artwork.jpg

Big Bear
Bigbear-bigbomberder.jpg
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc