Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Yo, Do you remember: EDGE in WCW???!!!

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Yo, Do you remember: Mark McGwire & Goldberg meeting?

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:33 am

Do you remember when Bill Goldberg met Mark McGwire :?:

Oh man I sure do, this was such a special time for Me on so many levels :o This WCW crossover with MLB happen on 8/31/98 which was on a Monday and Bill Goldberg was WCW World Champion at the time. This is how I found out about it cause Me & My family was watching WCW Monday Nitro and I just flipped out about it, I mean I just totally marked out and yelled "The Man" meets "The Man" (never mind about that Becky Lynch Man crap we have now). I was so excited :!: 98 was a great year in WCW. The Warrior also made an appearance that night too! It was in Miami Florida and Goldberg visited there and met the Homerun King! He and the St. Louis Cardinals was against the Marlins. They won the game but Mark didn't bang any outta the park this time.

So there is a big history about this specil happening and Me. I have kinda talked about it now and then but never in detail. Goldberg won Me over because of the streak :!: He was an incredible MMA style fighter with uncanny power and speed, It was unbelievable how he would beat everybody and even defeat Hollywood Hogan for the world championship and be a double champ as he held the US belt as well.

I always liked baseball over other sports (Wrestling & Boxing was it). I was just a casual fan thru the years of MLB watching the World Series with My Grandpa (we watched the 96 one with the Braves & Yankees...it was great!)...then McGwire came over from the Oakland As and joined St. Louie's beloved Cards and I was hooked on him. I never a missed a game on TV because of him. He changed My life watching baseball and made Me feel different...it was like when I found Hogan, Jesse, The Warrior, Stallone & Arnold in childhood as My heroes all over again...I mean it was truly indescribable how great it made Me feel back then in 1998...I was only 17 :shock: After he broke the record and Sosa followed him it was all so fun with records and the like.

But something happen, I developed My love for Baseball. 1999 came and I was so thrilled because I was so into baseball. I just didn't follow spring training for the Cards but I also followed them along with all 30 teams all season long :o :batshock: :smgasp: :wwshock: In other words I became a huge baseball fan because I realized Mark wasn't the only cool & great player and I got into many of them like Frank Thomas, Griffey jr. A-Rod, Mo & Vince Vaughn, Vinny Castilla, Larry Walker and Dante Bichette, J.T. Snow, Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent among many, many others. I loved it so much I started a huge Upper Deck & Victory Baseball Card collection in 99 (I got all the chase ones too with many great ones of McGwire...took a ton of work to complete - maybe one day I will showcase them?) and I got a lot of MLB figures to of Mark and so on. In fact, I bet I have as much if not more Mark McGwire items than I do of Hulk Hogan and that's a lot :batconfused:

Well, I don't want to discuss Mark's retirement and all what happen after that and we all know about Goldberg's current day.

The brief pictures that I made and posted here is really all that is on the web. That Nitro is on the WWE Network if you are not from the States and I believe every episode is on Peacock but other than that it has pathetically become a forgotten moment of extraordinary times. The pic on the left is the WCW/nWo Magazine that I was really surprised that they featured this on the cover. It had a pretty good feature within the mag. I have this book along with many years worth of WCW mags along with WWF ones over the course of a decade or more as I was a loyal subscriber to both of'em in boxes that are extremely hard to get to down in the basement. Maybe one day I can get them out when I get a chance and show them off...who knows :roll: The pic on the right is them meeting each other shaking hands at Dolphin Stadium. I was like, wow, Mark is as big as Goldberg, Mark really is a big dude!

As this day and age allows very little astounding moments of anything regardless in sports, movies etc. like the past once did, IMO, there has never been anything that rivals this remarkable event since and nothing this great and magical will never, ever happen again...it was once in a lifetime event and believe Me when I say it, it truly was :!:

I may start a old school Baseball topic in the future...there's a ton I can talk about there! Well, I hope I surprised you a bit with this or maybe reminded you of this historical meeting. I know I haven't posted within this topic in a long while and I'm gonna try to be more frequent. Until next time I'll see you around :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:49 pm

Ah, late 90s baseball was a lot of fun. A shame about the steroids. I was a huge Jeff Bagwell fan back then. Still have a jersey somewhere. I have the newspapers from the day McGwire broke the HR record. Didn't last long, though. Don't realy remember him on Nitro, though I wasn't really watching it regularly in 98 as I'd just gotten back into wrestling that spring with WM14.

Speaking of Big Mac....
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:46 am

Oh yeah, Bagwell was great too. Gosh how did he hit anything squatting in that stance :lol: :? Oh I still got the papers, I made a huge scrapbook, I mean it's huge, the book is litter like 3 feet tall and weighs many pounds...no joke. I have a lot of McGwire stuff and MLB, I also have another baseball card collection besides them 2 by Upper Deck & Victor, I also have a 2 part one that is huge by Topps, Mark was already retired a couple years or so after that however. I'll get to showcasing some of this and more one of these days.

Never saw that Simpsons, not a big Simpsons fan but that was cool.

Thanks PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Yo, Do you remember: Johnny Ace in WXO? Hilarious!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 pm

Yo, you remember Johnny "Ace" Laurinaitis' promo in WXO? I found it clever yet really hilarious :lol: :batconfused: :wwsmh: :smlol:

Johnny Ace, Ah man :? :lol:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:06 pm

I don't know if I've honestly ever watched a Johnny Ace promo. Now I know why he never made it big in the states. Yikes.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:11 am

Yeah, his promos weren't that great. I'd say that's why Johnny Ace did better in Japan where he didn't have to do too many promos but then honestly, his matches weren't that great by Japanese standards, either. They are however way better than his matches in the States, though. But it's the same way I feel when I see Hulk Hogan chain wrestling Tenryu in Japan. I just think "Wow, so I guess he's just a lazy worker in front of us. Thank goodness for those promo skills." :smlol:

I was actually pretty excited for wXo when it was first announced but the TV didn't air as scheduled here so that was annoying and when it finally did air, it wasn't super impressive visually.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:55 am

Eh, I don't think Hogan was lazy per se. There's an old adage to don't give them more than they need. Did anyone really want to see a 6'7" balding man chain wrestle? People came for the finger point, big boot, leg drop, 3 count, lol. I wish sometimes people in AEW would try the less is more style, maybe I wouldn't zone out as much when the Lucha Bros, Bucks,. or Jurassic Express choreograph a match.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:06 am

Amazing how much attention this compared to other stuff. Johnny had his moments. Here he resembled JJ on late 90s/early 2000s a bit and at first in the promo seemed like he was on top then just made his promo "different" while many thought it confusing. I on the other hand thought it was good and maybe unintentionally funny but that's just Me :roll:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:21 am

Honestly my enjoyment of Hogan matches comes in waves. Lately I've been surprisingly entertained by them but there have been periods where I find them entirely unwatchable. Can't fight the soldout arenas on that logic. Hogan himself said that he preferred to do the flying headscissors and chain wrestling takedowns but was told by his promoter at the time that that wasn't what the people came there to see and he was obviously right because Hogan was one of the top draws of all time. There's also obviously the other end of the spectrum where you get wrestlers who hit 10 or 20 finisher level moves and never sell anything and that obviously gets tiresome after some time, too. :smsmh:

I don't watch any new product at all, unfortunately. I was watching a little bit of NWA Powerrr but honestly, my backlog of classic wrestling keeps me plenty entertained when I need a wrestling fix. I found I don't really watch much post 2002 anymore. I've been watching a lot of early 90s to 97 WWF TV, the PPVs, some older stuff like SNME and MSG events, 80s and 90s NWA/WCW and actually some WCCW, MACW and MidSouth. I still have some old Stampede shows to get through and then a pretty hefty Japanese library. I'm actually surprised how good a lot of the territory stuff still looks. WWF still holds up decent except any face era Doink stuff is just cringy and when they have celebrities on commentary like Ray Combs of Family Feud at Survivor Series just about killed that event for me.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:21 am

Yeah, Hogan's matches were fun at times. I loved his feuds.

Yeah, today's wrestling doesn't compare to the 80s and 90s...not many people think that's it's important or whatever cause they feed you about how great it is today and how huge Otis is and Roman's the greatest and Schiavone is so thrilled about AEW's stuff when there was bigger guys like Otis decades ago, there was better ones than Reigns and there was a ton of absolutely huge moments in WCW. Gosh how they forget and they want you to as well. Sometimes it just irkes Me with the current stuff and it's just not wrestling, its movies, TV shows, games, figures which it;s basically a long list of everything else for this day and age :roll:

I'm not saying it was perfect and yeah, I loved heel Doink way more than face Doink and moments like the Family Feud but hey, its like you know who they were and everything back then, I don't keep up with today's supposed great idols but when they suddenly pop up outta nowhere like Bad Bunny and ones like that THAT we're absolutely supposed to know WHO THEY ARE, I'm like where in the heck did they digged them up from...I mean REALLY :?

Exactly, you'd be surprised how much older stuff still looks good and is way funner to watch than today's product. I was excited years ago about stuff but people seemed like they hated this and hated that and I was like why are you being like this. Now, I have mixed emotions and it's like when you watch today's stuff...been there, done that and everybody still acts like it's never been done before :roll: :x People wasn't into the 80s and early 90s wrestling when I HUGE into it but when the Attitude era happen then they were and I then I wasn't as excited about it because I wasn't used to that stuff then but over the years the Attitude has big time grown on Me and it's way better than the current product IMO.

Cool you have nice collection Acid. I do Myself, most is on VHS and maybe one I'll showcase it in the future it ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc