Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

How Sgt. Slaughter left the WWF to become a GI Joe

Here's the place to run wild with Hulkamania, share some Attitude, or drop your Ruthless Aggression. Then. Now. Forever.

How Sgt. Slaughter left the WWF to become a GI Joe

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:42 pm

Someone shared this on another forum and it was a story I hadn't really ever heard before. I never really knew this story, I just assumed Sarge left the WWF for other reasons. It's pretty interesting.

https://itrwrestling.com/news/sgt-slaug ... -joe-deal/
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: How Sgt. Slaughter left the WWF to become a GI Joe

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:27 am

I knew the history of LJN, funny I just posted an absolutely huge LJN write up a few days ago in My Vintage Action Figure topic which is PART 1 of My LJN section as I showcase My WWF LJN Wrestling Superstars series.

I didn't know this Slaughter history however. I know Vinnie Mac has always been like that, about I made you and I own you and your name and all of the stuff even when he was young. The darnest things get lawsuits and really it always seems its action figures, comics and games. Look at that deal he had with Jesse Ventura over the NES/Sega Genesis case. That's why he left right before SummerSlam 90 over a video game dispute :o It's still talked about off and on today. Anyway, thanks for getting this to My attention PB.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Yeah, definitely an interesting read. Good on the Sarge for copyrighting his name all those years earlier. I'd always just assumed that with guys like Hogan getting big that Slaughter just went to the AWA to stay on the top of the card because I remember seeing hi a few times when I managed to find the AWA on ESPN back in the day. I never knew there was much more to it, but I think he made the right choice. So many more people know him for his time with GI Joe then they do from his mid-80s wrestling.

At ease, maggots.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby 1987olds442 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Sagent-Slaughter-05.jpg
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Saw the Ninja Holiday episode the other day of GI Joe. Always wanted to make a custom of the chef because he's so ridiculous even for GI Joe. Maybe someday.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:41 am

Hey Olds, great figure of Slaughter you got there :)

PB, that was great. Yeah he was one heck of a Chef, that was crazy and I see why you want him :o

Well, since this topic has a little boost to it I thought I'd repost My little showcase I did a while back in my Vintage Action Figure topic, maybe you have already seen it or may not? Either way here it is as i thought I put it together rather well :)

Sgt. Slaughter THRU THE AGES! So this is something else I have been wanting to present for quite some time. Here is the 2 Sgt. Slaughter figures previously seen within the topic and is with 2 newer ones I thought was a must show since I have shown him more than once. Since I had talked greatly about Hasbro's WWF figure license in My awesome LJN showcase, I thought I'd show Hasbro's WWF version that I got in 1992 from the last days of the WWF's Golden era! This is after his major Iraq heel turn, became babyface and joined the USA again. Next is the WWF Jakks Pacific figure that I got in 1997 during the early heyday of the Attitude era! This figure depicts him as Commissioner Slaughter! He had been a WWF official since he retired in late 1992, but his run as Commissioner Slaughter was kinda short & bittersweet. Ever since he has appeared on WWF/WWE TV and became a Hall of Famer! So the figures look great, I have always loved the Hasbro version very much, the stance and sculpting of his face is uncanny. Say what you will about Jakks, I really did like their figures despite some gripes here and there...I mean they did have great moments. The sculpting of him is great, love that suit and them papers. His likeness is done extremely well and I believe this is one of the only figures ever done of him this way. He is actually got hair, no big bald spot :lol: He was part of a special "personnel" series that really, no other company that made wrestling figures ever ventured in which IMO is a darn shame :roll:

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to WWF/WWE/NXT