Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:37 am

Yeah, the Super Mario show wasn't bad, but it also hasn't aged as well as other shows, lol.

Should have the next toon posts arriving today or tomorrow....

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:18 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but what was one of the best parts of watching cartoons? The toy commercials! So to fill the time in between cartoon posts I think I'm going to periodically post a random toy commercial from whatever era I feel like, and here's the first one...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am

Oh I love Space Invaders! Yes, there are tons of you commercials. Yes, loved Teddy when I was young. Post'em, let's see what you got and see if any of them are My faves :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:55 pm

And now, back to our regularly scheduled cartoon #35...

Grape Ape debuted as a cartoon combo alongside Tom & Jerry on September 6, 1975 before becoming a trio the next season on the Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/ Mumbly Show, and if you think Mumbly bears a striking resemblance to Muttley, it isn't just because Hanna-Barbera artists were lazy, but rather because they're cousins (not identical, Patty).

But Grape Ape would graduate to his own half hour show starting on Sunday, September 11, 1977 as the star of The Great Grape Ape Show alongside his pooch pal, Beegle Beagle:

Where does a forty foot purple gorilla sit? Anywhere he wants, but most of the time Grape Ape would rev up Beegle Beagle's little van like a toy car then ride atop shouting, "Pow Pow Power Wheels!" No, not really. Power Wheels didn't debut until 1984 and Grape Ape' used mostly simple sentences, often repeating his own name, "Grape Ape! Grape Ape!" or mispronouncing his good buddie's name, "Beegley Beagley!" so perhaps they should've brought in Francine Patterson to help out, Koko. But weren't Power Wheels the best?

Being the 1970's and Hanna-Barbera, The Great Grape Ape Show was pretty formulaic with the duo travelling the countryside where they run in to people who are often frightened to see a forty-foot (sometimes) gorilla, often stammering "G-g-g-gorilla!" before running away in terror (even frightening a sign to fold up and run away!) But the duo would press on and would usually stumble into some crime in progress and help intentionally or unknowingly thwart it. And the people would realize the violet primate was a gentle giant. So in a way, I guess they're kind of like George Milton and Lennie Small minus the whole killing of small animals and farmers' wives thing.

Well, maybe not. Here's Grape Ape in his next appearance on Team Yogi Yahooeys in the Laff-A-Lympics. Notice anyone missing?

#WheresBeegleBeagle #JusticeForBeegleBeagle

Grape Ape was voiced by prolific voice actor Bob Holt, also the voice of the Hulk in the 1982 version of The Incredible Hulk. His various roars became a stock monster roar for years after. Excelsior!

Isn't it good to hear Stan Lee's voice again? I don't know what it was, but when I was really young (4-5) this show freaked me out. I had no problems watching Bill Bixby rip some clothes and become Lou Ferrigno, but these transformations scared the crap out of me. I'd would watch Spiderman and His Amazing Friends and often flip channels to something else when the Hulk came on, usually The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show--meep meep! The Hulk animation is still pretty creepy for a forty year old Saturday Morning cartoon. Maybe it was the yellow eyes? So help me God, yellow eyes!!!!!

Beegle Beagle (may he rest in peace) was voiced by Marty Ingels (may he rest in peace) who also voiced Pacman in the 1980s Pacman cartoon, both voices of which always made me think of Tony Danza. I mean, I saw The Great Grape Ape show as a part of the USA Cartoon Express in the mid-80's when the Tony Danza orangutan bonanza, Going Ape! was constantly on HBO and probably made a subconscious six degrees of separation in my mind. Both men were also New Yawkers so their accents are pretty similar. Going Ape! starred Samantha Micelli's dad as a slacker who's rich circus father died and left him a fortune provided he could keep three orangutans alive for two months (they did not however have to spend a night in a haunted mansion). Aided by Danny Devito as Lazlo, the two must keep the primates alive while three hitmen hired by a local zoological society that would inherit the money should anything bad happen to the orangutans seek to kill them, and yes, that was actually the plot for a movie greenlit for theatres in 1981 and I can confirm it was pretty awful, but then again, I already said it was a movie starring Tony Danza so you probably already guessed that.

Of course Tony Danza was also starring in the ABC comedy hit Who's the Boss that aired from 1984 to 1991. But just who was the boss?

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, "Hey, isn't that Ned Ryerson?"

And yep, that's Stephen Tobolowsky alright! Ned. Ned the head. Needle Nose Ned!

Grape Ape would only last for one season on it's own, and sadly only two episodes are available on a Hanna-Barbera DVD. Reruns used to air on the Cartoon Network back when the Cartoon Network actually aired old H/B cartoons. Sadly, Grape Ape. like many aging celebrities, would meet a tragic end:

But we'll always have reruns!

No, not you, Fred Berry. But it does make me wonder...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!--now with commercial breaks!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm

And now a word from our sponsors...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Haha. I loved My Pet Monster. I know people think the movie sucked but I actually really enjoyed it as a kid. It had Alison Court who did lots of voices including Jubilee of X-Men and Lydia from Beetlejuice and the guy who went on to be Detective William Murdoch from Murdoch Mysteries and Colin Fox from Psi-Factor and Strange Paradise. Both Court and Fox were in the TV show.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Hard to believe I've only one toon left on the last list. This time it took a lot longer, but I like to read up a bit and digest that before I start writing, and after that, who know's where it will go. Not sure what shows will be on the next set.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:44 am

AcidDragon wrote:Haha. I loved My Pet Monster. I know people think the movie sucked but I actually really enjoyed it as a kid. It had Alison Court who did lots of voices including Jubilee of X-Men and Lydia from Beetlejuice and the guy who went on to be Detective William Murdoch from Murdoch Mysteries and Colin Fox from Psi-Factor and Strange Paradise. Both Court and Fox were in the TV show.

Amazing, a lot of this stuff I took pics months ago to show on the board, just haven't got to it yet as My plan time has occurred
packerbacker180 wrote:Hard to believe I've only one toon left on the last list. This time it took a lot longer, but I like to read up a bit and digest that before I start writing, and after that, who know's where it will go. Not sure what shows will be on the next set.
yet but soon!

packerbacker180 wrote:Hard to believe I've only one toon left on the last list. This time it took a lot longer, but I like to read up a bit and digest that before I start writing, and after that, who know's where it will go. Not sure what shows will be on the next set.

This one was really good and I love the Groundhog day bit...one of My most fave movies ever and one of the best I might add! I love the toy commercial stuff too. Like I said to Acid, I have a lot coming and a small plan that is coming up soon that I planned months ago here and one is about My Pet Monster! Oh but I believe you got more up your sleeve!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

In honor of NECA's Ultimate ALF announced today...

I'm starting to wonder if I should just start an old toy commercial thread, whaddaya think?
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Great, ALF! Yes, I think so. I was actually thinkin' yesterday that it needs it's own topic and now you said it! There is tons of'em you could do! I have some in mind but you go right a head and do it your way...if there is ones that you miss or I think you should put as entries then later on I'll give ya the notice PB ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions