Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

The AEW Thread

It's All Elite Wrestling, and you know what that means. Inside it's All In for a superkick party. Double or Nothing, it's Dynamite!

Re: The AEW Thread

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 am

I wanted to say this as it was on My mind. Many times when I watch AEW, I think I'm watching WCW in the late 80s/early 90s and in its last days. Early times because of Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone. I think how amazingly it is that Tony left NWA/WCW for WWF back in 89/90 and came back really soon after then and how JR left WCW in late 92/early 93 and joined the WWF but stayed there for a very long time and Tony stayed in WCW till they ended. AEW on TNT like WCW was and soon to be on TBS like WCW, Sting is there, the Brain Busters/Four Horsemen are there/the Pinnacle is the new Horsemen, big names from other companies, international wrestlers, cruiserweights, women's division and so on. Sometimes I think AEW is WCW 2.0.

Another thing that I have been thinkin' about is all of the same names and the names that sound a like: Brian Cage & Christian Cage, Diamond Dallas Page, Hangman Page & Ethan Page, Isaiah Cassidy & Orange Cassidy. There are others as well as the enhancement talent of the Dark shows. Do you ever think of this or notice it Packer :?: I think of this just about every time I watch AEW :?
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:57 am

I'm not really familiar with WCW week to week back then, to me it's more Attitude era where you never really knew what would happen next. In a good way. With hot crowds. I just worry as the roster gets bigger and bigger. I get why you'd want to add the big names, but it's going to be a tough roster to juggle. So far they've done a good job of keeping storylines for people who aren't in the title picture, so we'll see.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 am

Oh it was great back then, I loved WCW but I must admit I always did focus on WWF more though. Yes, it kinda reminds Me of that Attitude era of surprises plus AEW has that hardcore element of recent times that I loved back then, its very reminiscent of that! Your right, it is going to be very difficult but they have done a good job handling it, I hope they keep this up!

By the, just saw the Dark Elevation, David Crockett was there on commentary with Tony Schiavone, lots of history with him and NWA/WCW in the early days with Schiavone.

Packer, you were familiar with and did see/hear Schiavone in WCW prior to watching AEW with your limited access right to watching them in your area? Also, do you recall seeing him in the WWF for a while as well? Just curious dude ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 am

I'll admit, the Flair robe was hard to miss, but didn't think about the rest much. That's actually cool as hell, the picture was captioned "what time is it?"

Omega-Cookie Monster-CM Punk-Punk once joked the CM stood for Cookie Monster
Karl Anderson--Bollywood Boyz shirt
Bucks--Bray Wyatt Family style Hawaiin shirts
Gallows--Flair robe, Bret Hart glasses (AEW recently trademarked "King of Harts" supposedly for an Owen Hart tribute tournament.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 am

First off what did you think about last weeks's match with Gage & Jericho. Not as violent as it could have been but I thought is was tremendous.

Finally saw Dynamite this morning. Yeah, that Elite segment was clearly a message. I hope that Owen Hart event takes place. I have a special and emotional bond for Owen :( Everybody always says about Eddie Guerrero but hardly ever Owen. Maybe I will talk about that later in the WWF section because its extremely special event that so invvolves Yokozuna that nobody knows about as I have never shared it with anyone before but I gotta build Myself up for that though :cry:

OK, moving on. WOW, all of a sudden Everise is in AEW :o I couldn't believe it when I saw their pic before the match. Shame it had to be against top guys. This seriously reminded Me of WCW in 1996, yes 25 years ago this year when they had signed many top and familiar names from WWF like Jim Powers, Mike Enos, Pat Tanaka, The Outsiders, Virgil among others. Gosh, did you see Sting do the two sweet/wolf pack pose? Gosh that brought back memories from 98 :o Man, It was something seeing seeing Juvi, I used to watch him in WCW from 96 till WCW ended. He had tons of memorable matches with Mysterio & Jericho and even Chavo but I didn't keep up with him after WCW folded till his unfortunate match when Silver King died in the ring a while back. Anyway it was something else seeing him again. What do you think about Camille? I think she is awesome. I hope she appears a lot more on AEW. I'd love it if she and Jade Cargill would go at it! I was very happy with Malakai Black's performance. I think he is over right away. I love his new mask. What do you think about the crossover another company selling his injured eye by Seth Rollins? I think its kinda clever.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:31 pm

I was surprised a bit by the Jericho/Gage match. I give Jericho credit for going as far as they did. It was cool to see Ever-Rise and Buffalo's own, Daniel Garcia on this past week. Garcia has a singles match with Allin this week, too. It's better than WWE trotting out the same 10 guys in the same matches every week with their awful 50/50 booking.

Kamille just looks like a star. As soon as they showed her in the crowd I knew Leyla Hirsch was winning so they could get an image of the height difference. I've been waiting to see Kamille on AEW since other NWA people have shown up. I was a bit surprised we didn't see Mickie James as well. That women's PPV is looking interesting. Not sure I'll get it, but I'd rather watch that than SummerSham, that's for sure.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Damn, if the start of Dynamite tonight didn't make me feel like it was Raw '99. Between the crowd, the nonstop action, and that feeling like you didn't know for sure what was next, it's just so exciting.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:03 am

I know what ya mean. AEW has the feeling of the unexpected, that is one things that I just loved about the attitude era! This show really had the awesome beginning. AEW has all of these all of these...I think the time is now to get those trios tag belts made. Omega said he had hoped to get them made and that there would be an actual division but I believe that was before the pandemic? The NWA & very early days of WCW had 6-man tag titles...you know the free Bird rule? Well it started then! I think AEW needs to pull the trigger on this, there is tons of teams literary with dozens of team combinations! Yeah, that crowd was really into it and yes it was like a 99 WWF and/or ECW crowd. I loved how they were for Baker! Man I didn't expect Paul Wight to return to the ring this soon, no wonder why he has been absent on Dark Elevation the past couple of weeks or so and he hasn't been on TNT since since 98 when he was over 500 pounds and lost to Goldberg on Nitro!

Wow, Rampage. is tonite! So far this is reminding when WCW had a second main show that started in 98 and its name was Thunder! Were you able to see any of them in the past in your area or remember it? Your thoughts on Rampage before the actual show begins.

Later PB!
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:31 am

I didn't really watch much Thunder. By the time I got back into watching wrestling there were like 60 people in the nWo and it was hard enough to get through an episode of Nitro. I think one guy I really liked that never went as far as I though was Above Average Mike Sanders. I thought he was really good on the mic. He kind of reminds me of Ricky Starks a little, though I like to call Starks Skinny Rock for obvious reasons.

Looking forward to Rampage tonight. Really curious about the presentation.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Is see. Yeah, NWO had a ton of members. Oh I remember AA Mike Sanders, the leader of the Natural Born Thillers. I think he kinda started where an enhancement talent broke the barrier and became a midcarder that get's a lot of attention that we see today and I'm not talkin' about the Barry Horowitz push years prior. Actually I never really thought about Starks being like the Rock. Actually I think he is better than the Rock. With him its the same old stuff show in, show out, I don't feel that way about Starks and I'd like it to stay that way.

Oh I am too, can't wait!
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to AEW