Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:52 am

Funny thing is, a Pup Named Scooby-Doo is my earliest memory of Scooby-Doo and what I mainly associated with Scooby-Doo for quite some time until I saw Scooby-Doo! and the Reluctant Werewolf.

scoobywerewolf.jpg

This was one of my favorite movies as a kid because I was always a huge fan of the standard movie monsters and this one had most of them.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:04 am

You know, A Pup Named Scooby Doo was always my favorite version. Sure, I watched reruns of the original, and the later ones with Vincent Price and that annoying litle kid,or Scrappy Doo, but even though I was older, I loved A Pup. It was can't miss on Saturday mornings. It's on Boomerang and I still watch it occassionally. And the theme is someth8nh that will always be engrained in my membrane.

"Engrained in the brain!"

Thanks, Cypress Hill.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:54 am

I think it's probably overlooked how much of the modern Fred, Velma, and Daphne portrayals come from Pup Named Scooby-Doo. And really the same with the tone of a lot of modern Scooby - Be Cool, Scooby Doo! absolutely seems like an updating. I used to watch Pup on Cartoon Network in reruns, I still love it. Especially Conspiracy Theorist Fred. Blaming Red Herring for every single case is one of the best cartoon running gags.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:02 am

Oh man, you don't know the Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain story? So basically WB was always messing with Pinky & the Brain and asking them to add more characters. This is how they ended up doing the Pinky & the Brain (& Larry!) episode where they added a 3rd, entirely useless mouse and pointed out how useless he was all episode. But the network demanded they retool Pinky & the Brain to include Elmyra, who was already a major point of contention for viewers because of how much spotlight she took up on Tiny Toons. It's said that someone high up on the chain thought she was hilarious and was always asking for more of her - some people have pointed as high as Spielberg on that, but I'm not sure how true that is. I think it was more likely just a network exec whose kid thought she was funny, something like that. Or maybe she tested well with focus groups, but a little of the character goes a long way.

Anyway, Elmyra tanked the Pinky & the Brain ratings. She's basically not included in any of the revival stuff because everyone who worked on the shows resents the character and the fans all hate her.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:47 am

They hate ya, cuz they ain't ya!

Elymra '22! Narf!

I didn't really watch Pinky & the Brain much. I loved it on Animaniacs, but by the time they got their own show I was in high school and too cool for cartoons, so there's that gap in my viewing history so seeing a show with Elmyra was surprising to me because I have no recollection of it. Hoping that the new Tiny Toon and Animaniacs shows will lead to the old shows getting more play on TV, but companines probably want to find a way to monetize all that with DVD sales and stuff.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:52 am

secondwhiteline wrote: It's said that someone high up on the chain thought she was hilarious and was always asking for more of her - some people have pointed as high as Spielberg on that, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Spoiler:
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 am

packerbacker180 wrote:
secondwhiteline wrote: It's said that someone high up on the chain thought she was hilarious and was always asking for more of her - some people have pointed as high as Spielberg on that, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Spoiler:

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am

packerbacker180 wrote:They hate ya, cuz they ain't ya!

Elymra '22! Narf!

I didn't really watch Pinky & the Brain much. I loved it on Animaniacs, but by the time they got their own show I was in high school and too cool for cartoons, so there's that gap in my viewing history so seeing a show with Elmyra was surprising to me because I have no recollection of it. Hoping that the new Tiny Toon and Animaniacs shows will lead to the old shows getting more play on TV, but companines probably want to find a way to monetize all that with DVD sales and stuff.

Yeah, that was so late in the Pinky & the Brain run that I think a lot of people missed it. I was a big fan of the show, and the right age for it, but even I started tuning out because of it.

Also a massive Tiny Toons and Animaniacs fan, naturally. I had so many of the McDonald's Tiny Toons, and even that Sega game you put up a screencap for. And a Furrball plushie - he was always my favorite.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:47 am

secondwhiteline wrote:
packerbacker180 wrote:

Spoiler:

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN

Indeed, you should have.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 am

I loved Animaniacs because it was such a variety show, you got a little bit of everything like a great buffet. I'm not sure Pinky and the Brain is something I'd watch regularly as it's own half hour show, but I'd give it a go if it was on these days. Narf! Animaniacs was just the perfect storm of hilarity, it was like a culmination of all the great WB shows that came before it, balled up into new characters with limitless zaniness. I still show my kids the countries of the world videos when they started learning about that stuff in school, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions