Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Music Appreciation: Hard Rock

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Music Appreciation: Hard Rock

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Genre Name: Hard Rock

Where did it originate from?: Mid 1960's Worldwide, alot of inspiration taken from Garage rock, Rock N Roll and Psych rock.

Main Bands / Musicians: Led Zepplin, Cream, Kiss, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Acadaca (AC/DC, Cold Chisel, Jimmy Barnes, The Angels, Ozzy Osbourne, GNR (Guns N Roses), Wolfmother, Foo Fighters, Creed, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Bon Jovi + millions more

Related genres: Garage Rock, Rock N Roll, Psych Rock, Southern Rock, Proggressive Rock

Basic Overview / History:

Many rock bands from the mid 60's started using a heavyer tone / use of guitar not seen in rock music before, they also had the Garage rock additude to play louder then the average rock band, the Garage music would see bands such as Iggy & The Stooges (Basically Invented Punk) while bands like MC5 while being Garage played more hard rock.

Some of the first Hard Rock bands that did not preform in the Garage era were Deep Purple, Led Zep, Whitesnake, while other bands such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Wolf [UK] (Later renamed and relocated to Newcastle as Black Axe) would go more of the Heavy Metal way while first starting out as Hard Rock bands, they created a whole scene and over 10000 genres of Metal+ with nearly each day a new sub sub sub genre being created.

Getting back onto hard rock, while the 60's foundation was set the 70's had a massive expansion with many fans loving Hard Rock this would bring out more bands such as Bad Company, Queen, Alice Cooper, Kiss, ZZ Top (Some is Blues while other songs are Hard Blues and Southern Rock), Boston and Lynyrd Skynyrd who changed there style of music to adapt with the Hard Rock scene while also having that Southern Rock sound.

Many other bands would form in the 70's many adapting there old style's while also experimenting playing louder like many Southern Rock bands, In Australia Hard Rock was refered too as Pub Rock this was also the underground scene of Hard Rock bands preforming in Pubs as well we didn't have mass / big stages for unknown bands :P, who emerged from this scene was Acdaca (AC/DC), Cold Chisel, The Angels, Devinyals and after Cold Chisel changed singers Jimmy Barnes went solo along with forming many other bands.

The 80's came around and Glam Rock / Hair Rock and Glam Metal was the craze (I will cover Glam Metal in another fourm), however some bands like Thin Lizzy, Styx, Poison, Whitesnake and many others would still perform Hard Rock while singing about women and other things people do... in the bed... that was the main topic for Glam rock.

The 90's was overcome by Grunge, this ment people stopped talking about Hard Rock bands until the passing away or many Grunge bands breaking up, this also helped the 2000's out with many bands reforming and heaps new bands getting created like Foo Fighters, WOlfmother and millions more, to this day Hard Rock is a big genre and millions of bands still perform it.

Since the 2010's many new genres which are hard rock related have been created with many current underground bands performing these genres, these genres are Desert Rock (Started in Arizona / New Mexico with bands performing Psych rock while there lyrics are Desert inspired), Acid Rock, started in the 70's but was forgotten about until recently, Heavy Fuzz, (Heavy Fuzz basically means a Heavy fuzzy sound after the guitar is played this is orintated with Hard Rock and Heavy Psych), for more info on these related bands there is a podcast known as The FuzzHeavy they play the whole hard rock underground from 2010's up too current, they also release free song packs per month so check em out.

Hand Of Glory - Till The End Of Time (Forgotten Texas Southern Rock Band)
Cheers Floki :)

The Offical sidekick of Harley :hq3grin: :hq2grin:
FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Music Appreciation: Hard Rock

Postby Doctor Fate » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 pm

This is one area that I have a hard time dealing with ... my years of following Hard Rock is mid 70's to the lower 90's and stop right there. I had no interest in Hard Rock after 1992 because it's doesn't appeal to me. But, I did like Aerosmith and my ex-girlfriends were heavily involved in KISS and couple others as well including Alice Cooper.

I did like Bachman-Turner Overdrive and Led Zeppelin and those two fit the bill for me for that time alone.

My older brothers did not care for any of that stuff and that's why I don't have any recollations at that time at all except the bands that I just mentioned here.
The Helmet of Fate, Amulet of Anubis, and the Cloak of Destiny Awaits You!

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 pm

I'm the same, Doc. I actually didn't get into hard rock until the late 90s, early 2000s, but what I liked ended up being the older hard rock bands but not so much the contemporary stuff at the time. I remember a lot of people into Creed at the time when I was just diving deeper into the genre and I didn't get all the hype. The only exception was probably the Foo Fighters. Otherwise, anything I liked was older or new material from an older band in the case of Bon Jovi who was still producing a lot of new and interesting material at this point despite being an 80s hair metal band.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:03 am

Yeah I placed Bon Jovi, due to having a mixture of Hard Rock and Glam stuff I really should of put in brackets some songs :lol: I forgot haha.

For me I never got into Creed, though I love the older stuff I got plenty of CD's of Led Zep a collectors CD 3 disc, Areosmith, Alice Cooper, The Angels, Judas Priest (While some of there stuff is again metal), Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen etc.

But I do like the newer stuff as well like Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold (While later becoming a metal band), He Is A Legend, Backyard Babies, the Fuzzheavy underground I just love that podcast daily listener here haha, lemme just say if it rocks I am into it regardless of the genre.

Like heck I even listin to Lulu, Salsa and just about any genre of music I am what you call a music addict xD.

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 am

I do like Bon Jovi to the extent; but never, ever embrace it ... the problem is some of the stuff did not appeal to me and did not impact me that much. It is hard for me to enjoy Bon Jovi and problem is I know the Band and yet; don't know any of their songs. KInd of sad ... really.

Doctor Fate and Fate of the World ... are the same person ... the reason for two accounts is to add more photographs to this forum.
Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:19 am

That's why I am here.

Bon Jovi - Runaway one of his biggest hits

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Fate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 am

That's one of my favorites ... and an ex-girlfriend favorites too and she plays it practically every other day.

Doctor Fate
League Elite
League Elite

Postby FlókiXHarley Quinn™ » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:30 pm

Sweet nice

Yeah I love Runaway it's a great song you also got "Dead Or Alive" Which Guns N Roses coverd on the Spaghetti Incident yes that album is rare and is basically full of Punk and Hard Rock covers they done a cover of The Dead Boys song Ain't It Fun.

The Damned New Rose and much more that album is one to look at I have it on CD and dam it's worth a bit.

FlókiXHarley Quinn™
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to General Discussions