Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:54 pm

I don't know, there's so much MLs out these days that it's actually killed my will to buy. I mean, I haven't even completed Sasquatch or Man-Thing, and currently the Sauron, Apocalypse, Sp/dr, and Venom waves are popping up. At least I can ignore the MCU stuff, but honestly, you'd think all this merchandise would be exciting but it's actually kind of the opposite.

It doesn't help that figures I paid $20 because I thought they'd be tough to find like X-23 from the 'Squatch wave and such are now $11 on Amazon, or the fact that so many figure go for under $10 at Christmas on Amazon and Walmart. I'm just feeling meh.

Same for DC Multiverse, I want to complete Clayface but it's pretty obvious Supes and Manhunter are going to drop in prices online, and a lot of the upcoming figures just leave me unexcited.

Another Gladiator, Posion, Scream, modern Magneto, Deadpool in shorts, Ladypool, Deadpool in an X-costume, Bar Mitzvah Deadpool, Deadpool in a pear tree... I just look at these and I don't feel like paying $20. When I do the math in my head there's like $500 in MLs currently coming out that I'd need to complete 4 BAFs. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just I can't rationalize spending that much in such a short span of time. When these things are spread out over months it's easier to drop $60 here, $60 there and not think too much about it. But when I actually look at the total it just feels ridiculous.

I guess that's fine if MLs are all you care about, but I'd like to still collect some other stuff while still feeding and clothing my kids.

Right now the only thing that's getting me really excited are OT and PT Star Wars Black figures. I still feel like I want to pickup certain characters of MLs, but there's just so much out there these days that I don't even feel like looking for any of it.

Anyone else feeling that way?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?

Postby Webslinger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:21 am

I feel your pain my friend, I love collecting my figures but lately it seems to be more trouble than it is worth these days. Maybe it's because of the over-saturation with SO many waves being out at the same time instead of spread out like they should. The X-men wave I only need 3 more to finish Apocalypse, I skipped Cull Obsidion and just bought the figures I wanted from that wave (still need Black Widow). As far as the Deadpool wave?... I am gonna hold off on it because I know it will drop in price and I'll be more happy paying a lower price for it later down the road. Now... Build a figures in general I think to avoid buying the ENTIRE wave of figures that I may or may not want, I will instead just buy the complete figure off Ebay for around 50-60 bucks w/free shipping and save myself some money... I too would like to buy other things besides Marvel Legends, don't get me wrong I loves me my Marvel but I also like Star Wars, NECA Horror stuff etc...
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah, I can't bring myself to just pay for a BAF on ebay. I feel like I'm cheating myself somehow, lol. I didn't say it was rational.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby secondwhiteline » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

I was considering paying the $45-50 for Man-Thing on eBay, but I managed to trade a couple BAF pieces on Fwoosh, so I'm gonna be completing him piece-by-piece. My ML buying's always been very specific, so it's never overwhelming to me -- the more stuff comes out, the larger chance of something that appeals to me. But for fans of particular characters, teams, or eras, or especially for people inclined to be completists, it must be stressful.

Granted, the fact that I buy so few also means I don't mind as much paying the full price. $20 for Songbird isn't a huge deal when she's the only ML figure I've bought in months. Same for DC Multiverse, although my interests are wider there: I'll be picking up Vixen and Katana and Black Canary, and I'm sure online prices will be a drag, but not having anything invested beyond just a few figures mitigates it.

I've been into Mythic Legions lately, which has its own drawbacks -- expensive on the aftermarket, limited pre-ordering windows (which is unfortunate if you go through a tight budget period), multitudes of figures released at once that make you question what you're doing with your life and thinking you could've given that money to someone who actually needs things. But I kind of like buying a line where it's easy for me to create my own canon. Not that I haven't done that with some of my DC and ML stuff, which is why I have a display of Phantom Lady, Mademoiselle Marie, and Anna Fortune fighting time-traveling fascist Roman Reigns clones.
secondwhiteline
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to General Discussions