Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:17 am

I know some of'em because I got some Bodybuilding Magazines during 90 & 91 and then I started seeing them on TV. It didn't hit Me like wrestling did but it was still cool. I sometimes saw no difference because the wrestlers are pumped up too but I agree with you, sometimes they do look gross and yes, I'm not really a fan of the bodybuilding women. I like Fitness babes but not overly musclebound ones...Chyna was very ideal and Jade Cargill is too. Now their like perfect examples for women bodybuilders. One of the beauties of this WBF is that WWF Superstars participated one way or another. Here's these with Sean Mooney, The Ultimate Warrior & The Macho Man after their wonderful retirement match at Wrestlemania 7 in 91 :)

More tomorrow :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:25 am

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:31 am

I forgot to say how great that Ric Flair & Fritz Von Erich promo was...Fritz was such a good one, I loved his big man voice :) That was a great Hollywood Hogan Promo about Piper. I loved Hollywood Hogan and I miss these times of wrestling :roll:

Here's The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith talking about the WBF & The Warlord :!:

Here's The Ultimate Warrior talking about the WBF and The Fitness Expo at Trump's Taj Mahal, yes, Donald Trump again ;)

I got a special one for tomorrow :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:00 pm

Always weird seeing UW with no face makeup back then, just doesn't look right, lol.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:41 am

Actually I really never thought that because during his long matches his face paint would wear off and you could see his face, just see the classic with him & Hogan at WM6, that's a good example right there. Now I felt that however with Sting. His face paint didn't wear off as much but when he started to be in movies and stuff like Thunder in Paradise on 93/94 I was like oh so that's what Sting looks like with no face makeup on :shock:

I recall the feud with Kidman & Hogan. It was and still is a surprising one at that :shock: By that time promos of the 80s and early/mid 90s were already considered to be old school. I miss the Attitude Era so much now but back then it was different, I was already missing the 80s & 90s, in fact when 97 hit I was like 92 seemed a whole lot longer than only 5 years and I wanted that back already :roll: With that being said, Kidman did a good promo there, he was free from Raven and the seven year itch, was a Filthy Animal & had Torrie Wilson then basically on his own.

Okay, now check this. I'm surprised that somebody uploaded this great great compilation of WBF promos :shock: These guys really rocked. Jim Quinn really had a good promo. I miss guys like Aaron Baker. Listen to what Troy Zuccolotto says about Hulk Hogan :shock: I was already really familiar with "The Iron Warrior" Mike Christian & "Mighty" Mike Quinn but this was the first time that I knew Vinne's Mac's monster Gary Strydom too :!: McMahon really ups this up like a WWF Event and the music in the music by Jim Johnston is really good :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:13 pm

I suppose that's true, but usually it was still on in chunks and he was all sweaty and blown up by then. To see him batural, without being all oiled and sweaty, is still odd to me.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:18 am

Yes, he would have chunks of makeup and I agree :) Oh boy, the feud between Col. Debeers and Scott Hall. Yep, he said steroids :shock: That is one of the most underrated rivalries. Good AWA times too.

Okay, get ready to meet Vinnie Mac's South-African monster Gary Strydom :!:

This was right before the first WBF PPV. This is on an episode of WWF Prime Time Wrestling in front a live studio audience. Gosh I miss this type of format, it didn't last that long, probably a year a so :roll: You can tell how McMannequin loves Strydom. Now before you see the video, imagine Me at 10 & 11 years old wearing muscle man cloths like McMahon but with a Vanilla Ice hair style...yep I had a hybrid look back them :shock: Okay, here's Gary :)

The WBF PPV Commercial :!:

Tomorrow I will show you the results & winner with bonus promos :o
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:46 pm

I always liked the studio talk show like setting they used to use. It'd be cool to see someone try to bring that back though I don't know who you could find to host something like that who could pull it off.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:02 am

Yes, it was great but it's such a shame that there's not a big list out there that could do it, yet another thing to add to the list of what is lacking today :roll: Oh that was something there how McMannequin & HHH made their decisions :shock:

Okay, here's the first ever WBF PPV results via this great report with Mean Gene. You'll see the guys in action plus the winner with a promo plus Macho Man & Elizabeth in one of the first promos back together after WM 7 plus a new one with The Ultimate Warrior :)

More to come tomorrow :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:56 pm

It's just a weird concept. I don't think may people watch wrestling for physiques so not sure there would really be much crossover appeal. Maybe a curiosity at first, but I can't see how they thought that would work.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc