Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

RIP "Leaping" Lanny Poffo, 1954-2023

Here's the place to run wild with Hulkamania, share some Attitude, or drop your Ruthless Aggression. Then. Now. Forever.

RIP "Leaping" Lanny Poffo, 1954-2023

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:21 pm

Former WWE and WCW superstar Lanny Poffo has died at the age of 68. WWE Hall of Famer Hacksaw Jim Duggan confirmed the news on Twitter:

"With a very, very heavy heart, I've been asked to let everyone know about the passing of our friend and colleague Lanny Poffo, The Genius.

RIP Lanny"

This sucks. I've said before that Lanny was one of my favorites growing up. I loved when he'd throw frisbees in the crowd after reading a poem off them. My sister actually caught one. Wish I still had it.

He was underrated and underappreciated in the ring and on the mic. I guess that happens when you're brother is the Macho Man.

I usually let Brandon post these, but Lanny was special. When we were young, my cousins and I, if we wrestled each other, when we were a tag team I was the Dynamite Kid. If it was a 1 on 1, I was Lanny Poffo. Man, this sucks. Somewhere up there the Macho Man and Lanny are locking up and Angelo's calling for a break.

RIP The Genius

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: RIP "Leaping" Lanny Poffo, 1954-2023

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 am

Gosh this is terrible, another great one has died and of all days on Groundhog Day :( Thanks for noting Me but in this case something like this is something I do not prefer to say that least :roll:

''The Geniius'' Lanny Poffo RIP 1.jpg

I know he was one of your faves, I never forgot about what you told Me. That was a good sendoff you posted there PB and how about that, he beat Hogan by count-out, there isn't many that could ever say that they did that :)

Here is a bit of tribute from Me too him :)

Here he is in action!

Here he is with Mr. Perfect with their first theme!

Here is Lanny facing off against Dustin Rhodes in a rare match up :!:

One thing that I never understood why he never "really" had a theme after Mr. Perfect got his iconic one that we all know, Macho Man's IMO would have fit Lanny way, way more but the opposite happen :roll:

I thought it was quite cool when he returned in late 91. Remember in My WWF 91 House Show I said I saw him accompany The Beverly Brothers, that was cool. So here is The Beverly Brothers' superbly fun theme, he was their manager for a time, just envision Lanny coming out to this :)

Just recently when I posted My part 1 of My Vintage Wrestling VHS & DVD collection I posted two tapes with Lanny in'em which one is him teaming up with the Macho Man and the other him having a suit of armor in a big battle royal.

He was a great talent that was so underrated & underused in many ways but with people like you PB, you guys know how great he was and all that stuff :) May he rest in peace :(
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm

Good stuff. And a rare Lanny Poffo win! It's funny watching those vids and hearing he was a "highflyer" back then, lol. Never really thought about it but I see some of his mannerisms in Dalton Castle. I wonder if he was a fan?
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:02 am

Thanks & indeed it is. Yes, like I said, even though he beat Hogan by Countout, there's not many wrestlers that could ever say that they beat him one way or another :) Huh, I actually don't know. Maybe that's why I really liked him when I first saw him in AEW/ROH and why his gimmick won Me over right away (usually silly weird comedy like that doesn't with Me) cause I really never knew him beforehand, I never put 2 & 2 together about this but maybe subconsciously I did and didn't even know it :roll: Oh and don't forget that Lanny made a short appearance in AEW a while back as well :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:34 pm

Yeah, I heard about his passing a couple of days ago. Sad sad news. My first exposure to him was this old tape I got back in the 90s. It was an ICW tape and featured matches with him, Randy and Angelo. I was actually pretty impressed with his high flying antics back then because you only saw Japanese and Mexican imports in WCW doing that kind of thing back then. That's why I was always impressed when I saw Terry Funk and Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray doing those Asai moonsaults to the outside of the ring. Guy was truly one of a kind.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:03 am

Yes, I was the same way Acid and I didn't say what PB said about the high flyer. Guys like Lanny & Del Ray changed the game when it came to that stuff. Because if you watched WWF and nobody else than you wouldn't know about it elsewhere. I watched WCW back in those days when it was becoming a thing and thought it was so cool. When Del Ray finally made to the WWF in 93 (30 years ago this year, again soon I'm gonna post a huge thing about this which includes Del Ray, I planned it for many, many months) people were really dumbfounded in WWF arenas when they saw the Heavenly Bodies cause they never saw a style like that before much less Asai Moonsaults. See it wasn't to strange to Me cause I saw it in wrestling books and stuff and SMW caught My attention. I guess those people didn't :? Whatever the reason, Lanny and Del Ray whom are both gone sadly are two of the pioneers for the Attitude Era's high flyers and especially today's talent whether or not this generation knows or cares about it, it's quite crucial cause without them underrated legends like them, high flying bouts wouldn't be what they are today IMO :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to WWF/WWE/NXT