Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wrestling Promo of the Day

Oh my God! It's the Karl Gotch of wrestling sections, step inside to catch all the latest on everything else from the defunct to Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes to Rip Rogers, the Nature Boy to the Natural Born Thrillers to the National Treasure. Vince Russo says, bro, this is the place to be, bro.

Re: Wrestling Promo of the Day

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:48 am

Boris Zuhkov was really underrated & underused. After he & Nikolai Volkoff were enemies and the short feud ended, that was basically it for Boris on the major circuit :roll: Really the same happen with Volkoff too but at least The Million Dollar Man picked him up to be the first member of his great Million Dollar Corporation in 94, 30 years ago this ;)

I see, yeah, he was basically gone from the Federation come mid to late 96 but he would make appearances here and there just not in the Attitude Era but also the Ruthless Aggression Era as well but it was nothing major compared to his early years. He made at least one WWE appearance at a Raw reunion recently. Unfortunately probably half if not more of WWE's viewers really didn't know him and all of the fun matches he was involved in during those times in the 2000s and recently compared to in the the early to mid 90s :roll: I'm very grateful that I got to see his very first match ever in the WWF in person :)

So now here is his official debut as Tatanka in early 1992. Now as cool as War Eagle sounds, I kinda like the name "Tatanka" more as it means "Buffalo". In his debut he fights Pat Tankaka of all people :o I always thought that this was funny...Tatanka vs. Tanaka :lol: While Tanaka was a low carder and wrestled off & on after he & Kato of the Orient Express split up, he really turned into a jobber so it was apropos for Tatanka to debut against him and rank up which this is what I've been talking about that is so lacking in today's wrestling :roll: Notice Tatanka looks much different than he was as War Eagle wearing pants and with a red streak in his hair plus does a war dance and all of that. The fans were really behind him, in fact he was one of the most popular superstars of the time for a couple years :)

Now here is this from 1993. Tatanka was still undefeated and as popular as ever yet he has never won anything big..he had opportunities for the IC Title & KOTR but there was always something holding him back :roll: After WWF SummerSlam 93 he got in a very short feud with Doink the Clown (this is still the great heel Doink played by Matt Borne!) and this is a Face To Face. Like I said before, I miss these types of promos. This is very good :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:11 pm

AEW kind of does these promos with the Rampage main event. At least they used to, I don't really watch Rampage often anymore.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:14 am

Oh yeah, I know they do on AEW Rampage but their usually so hectic and fast paced where you feel so rushed, it's in the same type of concept yes but it just ain't the same as it was back then :roll:

That was a great Eddie Guerrero promo there :)

Okay, Happy Father's Day. I've done Dusty & Dustin before so here's something a bit different. Here is a really good Father & Son vs. Father and Son match on Raw is War back on July 14th, 1997 :shock: It's Jerry "The King" Lawler and Brian Christopher vs. The "Polish Powers" Ivan & Scott Putski :!: Ivan sings the song and this was Ivan's last match ever in the WWF...he was already a Hall of Famer by this time too. I'd thought you'd appreciate this Packer since your Polish and a Father :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:45 pm

Never saw that match before.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:50 am

Good, I hope you were surprised about that for Father's Day PB ;) That was some Father's Day Christian promo there :shock: How about Tony Schiavone saying Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker :shock: :!:

Here's SKINNER :!: He was one of the many newcomers in the fun year of 91. He's Steve Keirn. He was really decent. He played a second Doink and was the original one that started NXT as FCW long ago :o I seen Skinner in person at same event I saw Tatanka vs. Virgil. It was really fun. My Mom liked him. My Grandparents not so much. I'm not a fan of gator hunting or any of that crap but that sure made a good jerk A-hole heel though ;) As a side note he did the laying on the ropes before HBK, the Inverted DDT before Sting did his Scorpion Death Drop and the Gator Roll before Luke Harper :shock: He was something :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:10 pm

You can still see guys like Skinner on On Patrol Live every weekend, lol. It's cool you remember seeing him live. My two biggest memories of wrestling as a child was seeing one of Jake the Snake's earliest WWF matches and Lanny Poffo at the same event. I can't recall much else from then, but those two always stuck with me.

Edit: I actually looked at events in Buffalo in the 80s, and this had to be the show in 1986. The timing is about right and both wrestlers appear.

WWF @ Buffalo, NY – Memorial Auditorium – October 11, 1986
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Tiger Chung Lee
Koko B. Ware defeated Steve Lombardi
Kamala defeated Lanny Poffo
Hercules fought Billy Jack Haynes to a draw
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Pedro Morales
WWF IC Champion Randy Savage vs. the Honkytonk Man
The Junkyard Dog defeated Jake Roberts
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Paul Orndorff

Edit 2: Or it was more likely this one since I think I would recall Hogan vs Orndorff.

Jan 23, 1987

Corporal Kirchner defeated Tiger Chung Lee
Koko B. Ware defeated Steve Lombardi
Kamala defeated Lanny Poffo
Bob Orton Jr. defeated Pedro Morales
The Junkyard Dog defeated Jake Roberts
Blackjack Mulligan defeated King Kong Bundy in a Bullrope match
Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) (c) defeated George Steele to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship
Billy Jack Haynes defeated Hercules by DQ

Now I' not sure which it was, but I think more likely the second card. But I could be wrong. Hell, I might've even brought this up before.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:20 am

Yes, thank goodness I recall the whole event & time like it was last week...My only problem and that I still have is that I really didn't appreciate that time and think to Myself how cool this was. I was only 10 going on 11 the next month yes but darn it :x Over time I begun to realize about the past and that has always been one of the coolest times i ever had :) Times and just about everything was so much simpler & better then in 91 but I am very thankful that I did experience it :)

I think you did talk about that before, I'm not really sure. I'm going to quote this in your Live Event Topic shortly ;)

That was some promo by Beer Money...that was a great time of TNA too :)

Here's this very short promo of The Giant SIlva when he was an Oddity in the WWF in 1998 :!:

Now, The Giant Silva has entered the world of MMA...this is his interview of his debut :o

At a later date, I'll post more of him plus The Great Khali cause both were in Japan and had some encounters :shock:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:43 pm

How did he make out in the MMA?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:04 am

No Promo today but this :!: Ask and you shall receive, now follow Me here ;) Okay, first off, after his very short tenures in the WWF and the States, Giant Silva went to Mexico and had a good time there. After that he went to Japan. He found a good place there, it was like his second home. He was Six-Man Champion with Giant Singh (later to be known as The Great Khali here in the USA - he was awesome in Japan!) and the legendary Japanese nWo member Masahiro Chono :!:

More on that a later time. The stuff in Japan is so cool. Pride Fighting Championships/PrideFC was in Japan as well as the USA, it was a newer MMA Federation like UFC that started in 1997 but unfortunately it had to close it's doors in 2007 :roll: Paulo Silva went there and began his MMA career as you saw in My previous post. I know Giant Silva's matches and all that but to save time, here's this FROM WIKIPEDIA --- Here's his record & stats, ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE ---> I don't know if you know what Yokozuna means. It just wasn't the name of the WWF wrestler...it means "GRAND CHAMPION". So whenever you hear or read that, it just doesn't mean the WWF Samoan wrestler...it means "Grand Champion" in Japanese.

PRIDE Fighting Championship (2003–2006)

Silva competed in PRIDE Fighting Championships, a defunct mixed martial arts organization based in Japan. Silva, at one time, trained with members of the Gracie family, most notably Ricardo Gracie and Ralek Gracie. On December 31, 2006 Giant Silva defeated former Yokozona Akebono Tarō by Kimura Armlock in the first round at K-1 Dynamite 2006 for his second win of his career giving him a professional record of 2 wins and 6 losses overall spanning both PRIDE FC and K-1.

Mixed martial arts record

Professional record breakdown
8 matches 2 wins 6 losses
By knockout 0 4
By submission 2 2
Res. Record Opponent Method Event Date Round Time Location Notes
Win 2–6 Akebono Taro Submission (kimura) K-1 PREMIUM 2006 Dynamite!! December 31, 2006 1 1:02 Osaka, Japan
Loss 1–6 Ikuhisa Minowa TKO (knees) Pride – Bushido 10 April 2, 2006 1 2:33 Tokyo, Japan
Loss 1–5 James Thompson TKO (soccer kicks) PRIDE Shockwave 2005 December 31, 2005 1 1:28 Saitama, Japan
Loss 1–4 Choi Mu-Bae Submission (arm-triangle choke) PRIDE Shockwave 2004 December 31, 2004 1 5:47 Saitama, Japan
Loss 1–3 Takashi Sugiura TKO (punches) PRIDE Bushido 4 July 19, 2004 1 2:35 Nagoya, Japan
Loss 1–2 Naoya Ogawa TKO (punches) PRIDE Critical Countdown 2004 June 20, 2004 1 3:29 Saitama, Japan
Win 1–1 Henry Miller Submission (kimura) PRIDE Total Elimination 2004 April 25, 2004 1 4:04 Saitama, Japan
Loss 0–1 Heath Herring Submission (rear-naked choke) PRIDE Shockwave 2003 December 31, 2003 3 0:35 Saitama, Japan

So as you read there, he lost in his first fight against Herring, the fighter you saw in My previous post. Now, here's this match NOT listed above. He fights Henri Sentoryu in 2004, 20 years ago this year :shock:

He was born in Toyko, Japan and is bi-racial as his Mom is Japanese and his Father is African, kinda like Aja Kong. Guess where he was raised :? He was raised in St. Louis MO, My hometown :o He was a Sumo Wrestler. He never made Yokozuna though. Sentoryu then transitioned in Kickboxing & MMA. In this video WATCH The Giant Silva play Basketball when he was much younger then destroys a punching bag then a nice promo of Sentoryu and then the fight begins...

NOW, here's this match that you read about above. Giant Silva faces off against Yokozuna Taro Akebono in 2006 which this is one of Giant Silva's last matches :!: This is the same Akebono that The Big Show fought in WWE at Wrestlemania 21 in 2005 :o

Akebono was Hawaiian and passed away just very recently in April of this year so keep that in mind :( He was 6 foot 8 and weighted over 500 pounds...about the size of King Mabel/Big Daddy V.

It's really amazing to see huge men like this go at. The "big man" always matted in Japan :!:

Here's the iconic video of Giant Silva taking on Taro Akebono :)

Okay, I hope that answers your question and that you liked it ;) I'll post the Big Show vs. Akebono stuff in time :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:44 pm

That's by problem with MMA. A lot of times it just feels so boring to me.

I loved crazy Nikki Cross, especially NXT. I hated when they made her a superhero but so much from that time was trash anyway. I'm curious to see what she does now, if she gets more of a prominent role in the new group.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NWA/WCW/ECW/Classic/Territories/Indies/Japanese/Misc