Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:07 pm

I love video games. I could talk video games all day! Since there was major talk in My Video Game collection topic I decided to spinoff one from it! Plus there has been a lot of VG talk in the toy commercial thread as well so I thought it would be apropos to do this :batsmile:

IMPORTANT NOTE: NOW follow Me here as I will be asking you questions (PB & Acid) before we actually get this topic underway :)

WHAT GAME SYSTEM DO I OWN?

1. So if you read My in My Nintendo showcase, you know how I started being a a gamer but I'll repeat again...long story short. I never owned an original Atari, My great cousin mike had one but we never got to play together :cry: I have played games since the early Commodore 64 (Gaming PC) days that My Mom got. She allowed Me at a young age of 4 or 5. She to told Me what to do, how to do it and so on and I was a good boy. I became excellent at it and she got Me tons of games for it (keep in mind games were super expensive then), I had showcased My Ghostbusters & G.I. Joe previously in My Vintage Action Figure topic.

2. So, My first actual video game console was the NES in the middle/later 80s, like 1987 or so. I loved it, you already saw My NES collection just yesterday! It was the arguably the best time to be a youngster in the 80s and 90s.

3. So later on I got the Nintendo Game Boy in 1990, it was so cool and that will be NEXT showcase in My other game topic! I got the SNES in 1992, it was huge for Me, I got a ton of games for it, I believe even more than the NES.

4. In 1994 - 1996 I got the Sega Genesis/Sega CD/32X system combination (My favorite of all). I just loved it and really I actual prefer Sega over Nintendo! In 1994 I got the Sega Game Gear. It was really cool!

5. I got the Nintendo 64 in 1998. I wanted that more than any system back then. It as so fun to play and it was quite unusual too, that's one of the many reasons why I wanted it :o

During the mid to late 90s we got a PC and I played a long time there. I took a long hiatus from gaming consoles so I didn't get any new ones in the 2000s at all. I played classic ones and new games for the PC.

Later I wanted to get back in console gaming so then...

6. In 2014 I got an XBOX 360. Its an awesome console, its very modern yet has (at the time) classic games and virtual console and remasters there.

7. I then got Nintendo Wii U in 2015, it's a wonderful system, as much as I dislike the digital age, mobile and all this stuff currently, I love how it's controller can be a system within itself and has tremendous vintage virtual console!

8. I also got PS4 (Star Wars Battlefront edition) in 2015 at launch. Seeing the trailers of it was so euphoric, I couldn't resist not getting it! It too has a great library of classic games as well

So with all of that being said, I am an unusual gamer but I guess you already knew that by seeing My main topic. I love classic side-scrollers like Mario & Sonic, Contra & Castlevania. I love the classic wrestling games but especially love the 2K series that is currently ongoing. I like the Tomb Raider franchise (I prefer classic & first reboot over current series-same goes for Lara as well). I am a HUGE FPS gamer as it is My favorite type of genre of game. I love classics like Doom & Quake, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior & Blood and especially Serious Sam! Now for more recent stuff I like Call of Duty but I AM A Battlefield guy! I am quite addicted to Battlefield multiplayer! THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT except for Star Wars Battlefront which is both EA! I do like other kinds of games but it really depends on things though and I am not a fan of RPGs, the only RPG I ever liked was Mario RPG for the SNES. I love video game women and especially the music!

So no I never played the NEO-GEO, original Playstations, Sega Saturn and/or Dreamcast, Nintendo GameCube and/or Wii or anything else that I haven't mentioned above. I always wanted a Atari Jaguar & Sega Saturn but never had'em.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OK, with My introduction out of the way, it's your turn PB & Acid and any spectator that feels like jumping in.

1. What was your attraction to FIRST CONSOLE?

2. What was your first game(s)?

3. What other "older" consoles do you have/still own INCLUDING handhelds?

4. Do you have a modern system like Switch, XBOX, PS etc.

5. If you own modern systems, do you buy the DLC/Season Passes?

6a. If you have the WWF 2K Games, do you make your own CAWS (Create A Wrestler) or do you download them (I know PB has mentioned CAWS before but he said it was years ago)?

6b. If you download them, do you prefer just alternate attires or actually new wrestlers who is not in the game or both (WWE2K 22 was just released, the WWE 2K19 servers are still open!).?

7. Do you play Battlefront, Battlefield and/or COD multiplayer with people online in and fun wars :?:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess that'll do it, that's all I can come up. Feel free to add anything that is video game related or something that I did not. Answer the questiosn so we can know the basics about each other ;) You maybe even could give Me an idea or two for My showcase as well :idea: There is so much that I could talk about when it comes to video games :D
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:21 pm

Cool, the world needs more topics. That's a lot of questions to unload. As far back as I can remember we had an Atari 2600 and countless games. Some of my favorites were ones like Warlords, Spiderman, Empire Strikes Back, Stampede and Dig Dug, but we also had some stinkers like Superman and ET.

Then one Christmas I got an NES system. It had to be early 85 or 86 on because I got the set with the zapper, Duck Hunt, and ROB the robot and Gyromite, and I've stated in the toy commercials thread that R.O.B.+> S.U.C.K.E.D. I played that for many years, through at least the early 90s, renting games more so than buying toward the end. Than I had a SEGA Genesis for a bit, a Playstation 2, and then the X-Box 360 and Wii were my actual last systems, though my kids have an X-Box One, Nintendo Switch and DS. I don't really play games much anymore outside of occasionally playing something with them usually a Call of Duty or similar style game like GI Joe Blackout (which isn't very good). Lately we started playing this game called Gang Beasts and it's really stupid fun if you have a few people to play with. It's basically just trying to knock each other off things like trains, blimps, subway platforms, billboards, etc. but it's dumb fun.

The last wrestling game I owned was Legends of WrestleMania, and I really enjoyed it, especially making CAws and entrances. I used to belong to a wrestling forum where we all shared CAWs and my contributions were, since they were a bit time consuming, the Dynamite Kid, Outback Jack, and Ted Arcidi. I mentioned the wrestling games I had for the NES, I don't remember really playing any on the Genesis as wrestling wasn't really of interest to me at that time. I had Warzone for the PS2, and for the 360 I did have a WWE game, I don't remember which one but I used to play as Charlie Haas, so it would've been around that era.

New games are fine. I don't mind them. But I still dig the old games. I have an Atari Flashback somewhere, and the NES Classic system. I wish I had the actual old systems still, but I don't. It's still fun to think about them.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:42 am

Yes, a lot of questions indeed. Ah, you had an Atari, that was cool and sounds like you had a cool library as well. I have the gun and yes, I recall you talking about R.O.B. & Gyromite. I never had a DS. Renting was the way for experimental playing, IMO it was a good way to see if you'd like it or not. Sounds like you had some experiences with game systems yourself :)

Oh yes, I am classic gaming all the way just like I am with just about everything, figures, wrestling etc. but there are some really cool modern games, don't get Me wrong about that and I like the newer retro styled ones as well. I just love Battlefield, I mean you can roam around MORE freely than COD, IMO it's just funner. You can do the same in Star Wars Battlefront as well. Heck, I gotta talk about that sometime soon in more detail and maybe even showcase them...in fact a while back I was thinking showcasing Star Wars Battlefront so I will see about it :o Gosh, the WWE 2K games are great. I have played them since 2K14. I see, I may have seen that CAW place before. You can make you own rosters of all kinds, its really fun and addicting. Sounds like you had 2K12 or 2K13? great guys to have CAWS of there Pb. I have the Warzone & Attitude for N64. Never My fave wrestling games but they were ok. Oh the Genesis ones were superb. I have everyone released, one day I'm gonna showcase them all so you can look forward to that in the near future :) Thanks goodness I have all of My systems, I haven't played them in a very long while though. Oh indeed it is fun to think about them :)

Well, I think that'll do it for now PB, talk more gaming soon :)

Acid, before you join this topic, please answer the questions I have provided above so we know your history of gaming ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:07 am

War Zone was fun. It was the first wrestling game I played really since the mid 80s on NES. Funny story, it had a pretty limited CAW section, but we used to have fun playing against my dad. And at one point I made CAWs of the Stooges (Briscoe and Patterson) and we used to beat up my dad with just kicks and punches, no moves. Fun times, lol. I did buy Battlefront II for 360. I really thought it was fun at the time. My kid has the latest one, and we play it occasionally but he's not as big in to Star Wars.

Looking back I don't think it was a 2K WWE game, I'm pretty sure it was Smackdown vs Raw 2008 because I remember the box cover art, and I would've owned that before Legends of Wrestlemania, which came out in 2009. I personally think Legends is my favorite wrestling game.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:06 pm

PART 1

1. What was your attraction to FIRST CONSOLE?

Price and availability. My parents were not willing to shell out big for a video game console so the first console I ever got was a used NES from a garage sale. It cost $20. It came with two controllers and the light gun and the Mario/Duckhunt game.

2. What was your first game(s)?

My first video game wasn't even a console game. It was before I got the NES and it was one of those Tiger Electronic LCD games. I had the Streetfighter II game and then after, I got the Mortal Kombat game. I actually loved these games and had a lot of fun with them even though people crap on them a lot, when they're all you have, they're pretty entertaining.

sfhh.jpg
mkhh.jpg
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:07 pm

PART 2

3. What other "older" consoles do you have/still own INCLUDING handhelds?

Surprisingly, I still have those two Tiger Handhelds. I also own some other old Tiger Handhelds like Mouse Maze, Mega Man 2 and Gauntlet. I have my original NES, original Game Boy, Game Boy Color (Green) and original N64 and original Gamecube (silver). Still have my original Game Boy Advance (ice) and Game Boy Advance SP (NES Edition) and Nintendo DS Lite (black). Unfortunately, I sold my SNES a while back. I still have my SEGA Genesis (System 2), SEGA Dreamcast, NEO GEO Pocket. I still have my original Sony Playstation (the big one) and my original Sony Playstation 2 (the big one) and I actually still have my original Intellivision that I bought second hand. The newest console I own (aside from Classic Minis) is the original XBox 360 (white) which I guess now is considered "old". As you could probably guess, I was a huge gamer at one point.

4. Do you have a modern system like Switch, XBOX, PS etc.

Nope. Just PC Gaming on Steam now.

5. If you own modern systems, do you buy the DLC/Season Passes?

See above.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:07 pm

PART 3

6a. If you have the WWF 2K Games, do you make your own CAWS (Create A Wrestler) or do you download them (I know PB has mentioned CAWS before but he said it was years ago)?

Don't have the WWF 2K games but I did play the older ones for XBox 360.

I haven't played for a while but I'm considering getting back into Fire Pro Wrestling World. If you guys haven't heard of it, you should definitely check it out. It is a beacon for CAWs. It is a 2D old school looking wrestling game with a gigantic community of creators. You can do CAWS, you can draw your own sprites and import them into the game and there are almost no limits to what you can come up with. You can even animate your own moves. It has some crazy match types not available anywhere else. A lot of people who can't get the hang of the game controls (I love the controls but they're not for everybody) instead play with adjusting the wrestler's AI and use it as a simulator instead.

There are tons and tons of CAWS if making them is not your thing and they are from all eras and promotions of wrestling. It also has an MMA mode for cage fighting and kickboxing/boxing type matches. There's a GM mode for people who like that. Tons of wrestlers actually love and play this game including AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, D-Lo Brown, Kane, Xavier Woods, Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks, Blue Meanie and Stevie Richards has played and promoted the game on his channel. The game is available on PS4 and Steam (I prefer the PC version). There are a ton of free mods for the PC version. The base game is pretty cheap and often on sale and the add-ons are pretty good.

And you control the level of realism. If you want to keep it pure wrestling, go for it. Add MMA guys for spice. Then there's the wacky. I saw people do ALL KINDS of crazy stuff with this game. There's literally a character who is Tetris blocks and look at the finisher they made. It's literally a bunch of blocks crushing the opponent.
https://twitter.com/ontotsu_hdpw/status/1287373358833627141?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1287373358833627141%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.wrestlingfigs.com%2Fthread%2F307034%2Ffire-pro-wrestling-world%3Fpage%3D16

The Entire History of Fire Pro Wrestling

Way back in the early 2000s, my friends and I made our favorite fast food mascots (Ronald McDonald, the 5 bucks lady from Pizza Hut, the Red Robin, etc.) and we would pit up against each other in an 8 man battle royale electrified barbed wire deathmatch in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (Playstation 2) in order to decide for us what we were eating that night. LOL.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:15 pm

PART 4

...But regarding 2K, I played the predecessors. So the Smackdown Vs. RAW and before them, the Smackdown games like Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain. Like Pb, I was a huge fan of Legends of Wrestlemania and I still play that from time to time. I also played Warzone. It was OK, I remember enjoying it but the moves were overly complicated to pull off. I also played those Acclaim Legends of Wrestling games which weren't great but I had a lot of fun with them and the rosters were fantastic. Especially the 3rd one which featured a ton of awesome legendary licensed wrestlers.

Regarding the Genesis wrestling games, I don't know if I like the SNES or Genesis versions of Royal Rumble more. I think I actually preferred the roster of the Genesis one more because it eked out the SNES one in having more of my favorites like Rick the Model Martel and Irwin R Schyster but I did think it was kind of dumb that Ted Dibiase was in the SNES version but not the Genesis version so you only got one half of Money Inc. in each game. Still, many hours were wasted playing the 12 man Royal Rumbles.

6b. If you download them, do you prefer just alternate attires or actually new wrestlers who is not in the game or both (WWE2K 22 was just released, the WWE 2K19 servers are still open!).?

See above.

7. Do you play Battlefront, Battlefield and/or COD multiplayer with people online in and fun wars :?:

Nope. I did play a bit of Battlefield and SOCOM back in the day but didn't get into COD much. Battlefront I actually played a small amount of and did enjoy it. I also played the Lord of the Rings equivalent on the 360.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:49 am

Just letting you guys know, I wanna post and stuff, it will be very therapeutic for Me. I see you guys have posted a bit here, I will get to it in time :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:13 am

OK, here I go :)

PB - Thanks for for being thorough again :) Gosh PB, you and your Stooges :lol: I liked the style of Acclaim's Warzone but I never like the controls, same thing with EA's WCW Mayhem. THQ's WCW & WWF games control were way more to My liking. Yeah, Wrestlemania Legends was a great game. Never played the one you pictured. That SWBF2 is great but it's such an insanely huge game, I loved the campaign but I actually prefer the first one though, its really only the classic thing that Disney has done since their takeover :roll: Maybe your kid will get into SW more soon :?:

Acid - Gosh dude, thanks for being very thorough and answering the questions :D That's some story about your NES. I know what you mean :roll: Holy gaming, your first ones were them Tigers and it they were Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat no less and them versions looked great :o That's awesome :batsmile: My Grandparents got Me the Tiger Double Dragon at Venture, I remember how stupid I was, I wasn't happy with and I had them return it for something that I don't recall...I regret that so much :roll: :oops: I know they weren't the best types of games but they were so classic :) Man, you have mores then Me I believe, never had a NEOGEO. I might look into Fire PW, it looks like its incredible. Never played the LOTR, love the movies however. Glad you played Battlefront. I see you are a big gamer :) Like I said before, I had a big hiatus in gaming in the 2000s so there was a lot of wrestling games and stuff that I missed.

Thanks to both of you guys, I might post again in the topic soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Next

Return to General Discussions